PDA

View Full Version : How Safe is your pc

GSLR
09-15-2003, 02:21 AM
Hi

Just wondering , how safe is your pc , as in what do you generally keep on the hd and if someone were to phisically steal the pc would they be able to access your info etc..

Do you keep things like banking income etc or is it just a gaming console

Thanx

:rolleyes:

Sebastiani
09-15-2003, 02:57 AM
I don't generally store sensitive info on my computer. But the computer boots with a bios password, so unless someone does some drastic tinkering, they won't have a chance getting in. :)

Other than that, I use a shredder program I wrote that works like an automated 'recycle bin' which zero's out the file contents before deleting the file, runs scheduled batch jobs, etc, etc.

Internally, I don't allow any program to run from startup other than system ones, and monitor my registry, file accesses, tcip connections, and running processes, etc.

I don't store important source code on it either - instead I package the ones I use everyday into static libraries and simply delete the source, or if I want to keep the source I store it elsewhere (not that I have very much important code or anything, but it's a good practice anyway).

GSLR
09-15-2003, 05:09 AM
mmm interesting

so we have computers and scanners and the software to manage all this private info of ours , yet we prefer not to use it

stranger thing have happened i guess !

Brian
09-15-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Sebastiani
I don't generally store sensitive info on my computer. But the computer boots with a bios password, so unless someone does some drastic tinkering, they won't have a chance getting in. :)

Don't you just have to flick a little switch (http://www.sysopt.com/cmospass.html) inside?

damonbrinkley
09-15-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Brian
Don't you just have to flick a little switch (http://www.sysopt.com/cmospass.html) inside?

Getting past a BIOS password is simple. Just pull the CMOS battery off the board and it clears the BIOS password.

Govtcheez
09-15-2003, 12:49 PM
My PC's in a safe not even I can get to.

damonbrinkley
09-15-2003, 01:00 PM
If someone has physical access to your PC then there really isn't much you can do.

Fountain
09-15-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
My PC's in a safe not even I can get to.

Hehe is it connected to the internet in that safe?

Mine has some personal stuff on, but I try to keep it secure with all windows updates, NAV updates etc. Nothings perfect, but at least I try.

Govtcheez
09-15-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Fountain
Hehe is it connected to the internet in that safe? Jesus, no. It's not even plugged in. What are you, crazy?

Fountain
09-15-2003, 03:45 PM
Crazy? NO! Is the safe connected to the internet via Bill Gates direct link?

You see Bill decided upon new technology.

A metal safe conducts.transmits and sends electrical signals which combined with the new 'SAFE MODE' on most PC's, allows transmission of sensitive data.

Its in the manual.

If you put it in a safe Govt, you must admit your PC is in SAFE MODE! ;)

GSLR
09-16-2003, 02:53 AM
mmm guess i had better start deleting then

;-)

thanx anyways should have polled this thread