PDA

View Full Version : Downloading files without using a web browser.....???

Leeman_s
09-10-2003, 06:03 PM
Ok, at school we can download things through the cmd, like with ftp. But if I try to download with ftp through the browser, it doesn't let you. So, if I want to download thing off of an http site, how can I do that through the command prompt? (windows 2000)

Thanks.

glUser3f
09-10-2003, 06:19 PM
is it possible for you to opne web pages in browser? if not I'm fraid your school block HTTP :/

Leeman_s
09-10-2003, 06:49 PM
It's just normal browser stuff, with this restricting software called BESS. But what blocks the downloads is called Visual Casel.

No, HTTP is not blocked. The part about downloading things is blocked by Visual Casel. But for some reason I was able to use FTP in the cmd prompt.

frenchfry164
09-10-2003, 07:20 PM
It can't block ALL downloads, if it did you wouldn't even be able to surf the net. That Casel thing probably just blocks IE's downloading.

ZakkWylde969
09-10-2003, 07:21 PM
Telnet to the sites FTP location and download from there.

Leeman_s
09-10-2003, 08:04 PM
I'm trying to figure out what the ftp site is....

www.waukesha.k12.wi.us

a teachers web site is hosted there, i need to download files from that site.

Leeman_s
09-10-2003, 08:07 PM
oh and i forgot -- for FTP i would need to login, but i can't becuase i don't have access to that

i just need download access like you would have by visiting the page with http

RoD
09-10-2003, 09:04 PM
Use FTP to download Opera or Mozilla web browser. Then install it and do it via that browser, until the visual software is updated it wont even check those browsers. Same if it was Web Sense. Or go to one of the anonomyzer rip off proxy webpages and access it via those.

confuted
09-10-2003, 09:11 PM
http://ebutechnologies.com

cc0d3r
09-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Leeman_s
oh and i forgot -- for FTP i would need to login, but i can't becuase i don't have access to that

i just need download access like you would have by visiting the page with http

Try 'ftp' or 'anonymous' (no quotes) as the login.

RoD
09-10-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by cc0d3r
Try 'ftp' or 'anonymous' (no quotes) as the login.

Highly unlikely that any "freebie" accounts are active, and if there are its most likely to be a "guest" account.

cc0d3r
09-10-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by RoD
Highly unlikely that any "freebie" accounts are active, and if there are its most likely to be a "guest" account.

ftp/anonymous is the standard login for the anonymous ftp. While guest might work for other types of network software, it isn't the case here.

Anyway, anonymous ftp on your school's server is enabled, but the password seems to be changed from the default. Maybe, try using your school username if you've got one.

RoD
09-11-2003, 04:09 AM
ftp/anonymous is the standard login for the anonymous ftp. While guest might work for other types of network software, it isn't the case here.

In the case of FTP in the present this standard is very rarely followed. They go instead with the instance that the majority of average computer users know, and that is a guest account, if they allow one at all.

Another shining example of catoring to windows users who dont know much about computers.

ZakkWylde969
09-11-2003, 01:41 PM
I'm probably wrong but when you download a file from a site isn't the download just really a link to the file on their ftp part? And you don't nessesarily need a login for that so wouldn't it just work?

RoD
09-11-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by ZakkWylde969
I'm probably wrong but when you download a file from a site isn't the download just really a link to the file on their ftp part? And you don't nessesarily need a login for that so wouldn't it just work?

No, not always FTP.

frenchfry164
09-12-2003, 02:49 PM
It just depends on what protocal you want to use. Some sites offer the same downloads in both http and ftp.

Leeman_s
09-12-2003, 04:03 PM
For example.

I have an account on tripod. I can link to files in the ftp server, and anybody can download it.

If you want to download them through the cmd, you need my login though. With the browser, it's accessible to anybody. How do I get the files in FTP like I would in web browser via a link, but in the cmd without loggin in. I'm sure this has to be possible.

cc0d3r
09-12-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Leeman_s
How do I get the files in FTP like I would in web browser via a link, but in the cmd without loggin in. I'm sure this has to be possible.

Just login as ftp with the password being some junk containing @ char.

RoD
09-12-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by cc0d3r
Just login as ftp with the password being some junk containing @ char.

Please fill me in as to why that makes any sense whatsoever.

cc0d3r
09-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by RoD
Please fill me in as to why that makes any sense whatsoever.

What part of this can't you understand, pick any anonymous ftp site, say ftp.xfree86.org and try to login as "guest".

This fails because the ftp software by default only accepts ftp/anonymous login as the request for "anonymous" ftp session. In order to use guest instead, they'll need to make some configuration changes to add it to the list of anonymous lusers.

If anonymous login is enabled you'll see the message prompting you to enter your email address as the password. In actuality, any string containg '@' should work.