PDA

View Full Version : costs less to give life sentence than to execute

Silvercord
09-08-2003, 06:46 PM
I've always believed it costs more to keep a person in jail than to execute them, but then I learned that it costs millions of dollars to execute someone. and i thought i knew everything

Zach L.
09-08-2003, 06:48 PM
Indeed... I believe it is the long and drawn out appeals process involved in the death penalty that causes this. There are hidden costs, however, such as the constribution to jail overcrowding, and I'm not sure if those are figured in.

darksaidin
09-08-2003, 07:04 PM
Do you kill people because they are to expensive or because they somehow deserve it ?

Govtcheez
09-08-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by darksaidin
Do you kill people because they are to expensive or because they somehow deserve it ? Mostly the smell.

Silvercord
09-08-2003, 07:09 PM
how about the fact that most people on death row rape children and pull out their victims teeth with pliers and put gasoline in every hole of their body and burn them alive...saving money is just a sick benefit. that and what govtcheez said.

darksaidin
09-08-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
Mostly the smell.

err? :confused:

Originally posted by Silvercord
how about the fact that most people on death row rape children and pull out their victims teeth with pliers and put gasoline in every hole of their body and burn them alive...saving money is just a sick benefit. that and what govtcheez said.

My question wasn't ironic if that's what you want to say (although I'm not sure). I just wanted to know how it's justified.

Govtcheez
09-08-2003, 07:14 PM
Here we go...

> I just wanted to know how it's justified.

It's seen by some people as legitimate punishment.

Zach L.
09-08-2003, 07:17 PM
I believe it is Nigeria (though I could be mistaken in that) that has implemented over the past few years a law that allows people to be stoned... Its all rather sick if you ask me.

Silvercord
09-08-2003, 07:24 PM
what the hell does that have to do with anything?

ZakkWylde969
09-08-2003, 07:29 PM
Can someone explain how it costs millions of dollars to kill someone? Wouldn't it just take a little electricity and a couple hours?

-KEN-
09-08-2003, 07:31 PM

It's a thread about executions now, no use trying to control the path of your thread, man.

Yeah, I just learned this in my sociology class. The legal fees cost a buttload of cash.

Silvercord
09-08-2003, 07:32 PM
ken said buttload, how ironic.

who CARES what they do in nigeria? Nigeria sucks, specifically because they STONE PEOPLE TO DEATH. We give friggin lethal injection that probably isn't as painful as stoning (I downloaded a video of someone getting stoned, their heads got broken open but they were still alive)

Zach L.
09-08-2003, 07:33 PM
Umm... executions perhaps.

Originally posted by ZakkWylde969
Can someone explain how it costs millions of dollars to kill someone? Wouldn't it just take a little electricity and a couple hours?

Its the legal process, and all of the appeals before the person is executed. Its not as simple as sentencing someone, and then executing them, and very often takes a long time (sometimes more than 20 years).

Zach L.
09-08-2003, 07:35 PM
ken said buttload, how ironic.

who CARES what they do in nigeria? Nigeria sucks, specifically because they STONE PEOPLE TO DEATH. We give friggin lethal injection that probably isn't as painful as stoning (I downloaded a video of someone getting stoned, their heads got broken open but they were still alive)

Probably is less painful. I never said otherwise, nor did I say it was good. Not my idea of entertainment, but whatever works for you.

BMJ
09-08-2003, 08:35 PM
I'm all for the bullet-in-the-head technique myself, seems cheap, quick, and effective.

Assuming the capital punishment system was perfect (ie: never made a mistake, and always got the deserving people)...

...because if you ask me, there are some people who yes... don't deserve to share life with the rest of society.

Thantos
09-08-2003, 09:43 PM
bullet-in-the-head technique
Bullet to the heart is more effective generally.

I think we should bring back the ghettine (spelling?). Quick, effective, and cheap.

JaWiB
09-08-2003, 10:42 PM
This subject I'm sure has reaised a lot of controversy, and I'm not entirely sure where I stand on it since I don't know a whole lot about it...What I have learned (although from television) is that prison life is not exactly happy life. Some inmates might just be excercising and someone comes up and stabs them twenty times.
It seems like overcrowding is a definite problem, but the death penalty won't solve it either, since it takes such a long time for it to pass through the legal process. The whole concept of prison is to remove the lawbreaker from society, so as to keep us living in a safe environment...So why not let the criminals go with the criminals and let them sort it out themselves

*ClownPimp*
09-08-2003, 10:54 PM
I like how the french do it, allow a person in jail to request death. Win-win situation for everyone involved. The prisoner gets what they want and society doesnt have to pay to keep them in jail. I know Id rather die then spend my whole life, or even a large portion of it, in jail

Jeremy G
09-09-2003, 01:29 AM
I know people (or rather know OF people) who would kill people for free. We americans seem to find away to make EVERYTHING cost money - even bottled water - water being the most widely available commodity on the planet. sigh.

darksaidin
09-09-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by JaWiB
So why not let the criminals go with the criminals and let them sort it out themselves

omg. What do you want to do ? Put them on an island ? Shoot them to the moon ? Where would you draw the line ? A simple thief wouldn't stand long around murders.

As for the system of killing people: My only problem with it is, that it's definite. You can still release somebody out of prison after 20 years if you find out that somebody else did it, but you can't awake him from the dead.

Clyde
09-09-2003, 07:05 AM
I've always believed it costs more to keep a person in jail than to execute them, but then I learned that it costs millions of dollars to execute someone. and i thought i knew everything

Wow remarkable, well i was pretty anti-captial punishment anyway.

Fountain
09-09-2003, 12:46 PM
omg. What do you want to do ? Put them on an island ? Shoot them to the moon ? Where would you draw the line ? A simple thief wouldn't stand long around murders.

Lol, hehe you mean an island like, say, Australia.??

Worked once before. :D