PDA

View Full Version : I Got In A Car Wreck

Krak
08-30-2003, 02:07 PM
To make a long story short, I was going down a hill over some railroad tracks doing a pretty good speed, and when I was about to brake, I had my foot on the gas pedal. Yeah, go ahead and laugh if you want. It's a stupid mistake, but $$$$ happens. I ended up flooring the gas pedal and keeping it there. I knew I was going to fast, but it was like my brain shut off and I couldn't react, aka "panic attack".

For an instant, it was like time had stopped. It seemed like I couldn't see anything that was going on, and I couldn't remove my foot from the gas pedal. I don't remember anything that happened really, but before I could make sense of what was going on, I started to panic and lost control. The next thing I knew, I was in a ditch and hit a tree going considerably fast.

I'm fine, but the car isn't. The whole front end is totalled, and this just adds to all the problems I have to deal with in my life.

My dad's being really cool about the whole thing, and he's looking at the big picture. In time, the damage will be paid off, and his sons are okay.

But had it not been for some small dirt piles on the side of the road that slowed us down considerably, we would've actually flown into the tree and probably received horrible injuries or died.

I'm still in shock and very stressed out about this. I have no idea what we're gonna do now.:(

confuted
08-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Don't worry about it too much. I rolled my car last winter. The stupid snowplow guy decided to plow the entire road (it was practically dry) EXCEPT the sharpest corner on the road, which it seems he didn't touch. So I was going 40 (plenty slow considering the condition of the rest of the road) and I hit that corner and started sliding. Then I over corrected, crossed the other lane, over to the opposite shoulder, where my tires plowed up a bunch of sand (there wasn't much snow), which was sufficient to flip a top heavy Bronco II into the ditch. I was perfectly fine (all I did was bump my leg on the steering wheel, which hurt a little for a few hours), but the car was totalled. The paramedics were hilarious though. They asked me my name, age, the day of the week, and who the president was... checking for brain damage. They determined that it was a TREE that broke the windshield, not my head. Yeah, like that wasn't already obvious.

Thantos
08-30-2003, 02:33 PM
My brother did the same thing when he started working as a cop. Was responding to a code 3 call, hit the brake going into a turn, foot slipped and hit the gas, hit the bank, and rolled it about 3 times.

$$$$ happens. Take it as a sign to drive safer :)

DISGUISED
08-30-2003, 02:48 PM
I worked in a convenience store part time when I was in college and one morning at about 5AM an old man was pulling into the parking lot and apparently meant to step on the brake instead of the gas. Well he ended up driving his car right through the front of the store, smashing every one of the shelves together and pushing them right through the glass doors of the freezer. By the time he came to a stop his entire car was in the store. It was truly a miracle that there were no other customers shopping at the time. One hour later and it would have happend right in the middle of the morning rush and people surely would have been killed.

Point of the story: Cars can be replaced, but people can't. Glad to hear your alright.

Indian_fan
09-01-2003, 10:18 PM
I've always preferred manual transmission. It keeps me awake and very alert while driving.

Shadow
09-02-2003, 01:42 AM
I hit a squirrel once.

Govtcheez
09-02-2003, 05:55 AM
You shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Hammer
09-02-2003, 06:05 AM
He didn't say he was driving.

Govtcheez
09-02-2003, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Hammer
He didn't say he was driving.
> I was about to brake, I had my foot on the gas pedal.
> I ended up flooring the gas pedal and keeping it there.
> I couldn't remove my foot from the gas pedal.

He's damn lucky no one was killed.

Hammer
09-02-2003, 06:10 AM
Oh, I thought you were refering to Shadow's post :D

Yer, Krak, you were lucky.

Govtcheez
09-02-2003, 06:20 AM
Oh, no. My bad.

Krak, you shouldn't be allowed to drive.

FillYourBrain
09-02-2003, 08:02 AM
that doesn't nullify the fact that shadow shouldn't be allowed to drive. and stop hitting squirells while you're at it!

oh and....
The whole front end is totalled...is a bit off. "Totalled" as I understand it, is a term used by insurance companies to mean that the repairs would cost more than the actual value of the car. So a car can be totalled as assessed by the insurance company. A front end can not.

I just feel like being a pain in the rear today.

Govtcheez
09-02-2003, 08:36 AM
And what the hell, Krak - I thought you said you were quitting and we wouldn't have to put up with your crap anymore?

Lurker
09-02-2003, 09:26 AM
Glad to hear your ok, sorry about the car :( .

joshdick
09-02-2003, 12:24 PM
Govtcheez, you need to chill the crap out.

Krak, you're far from innocent, but I don't think that means you should never drive again either. I, too, am glad to hear that you are okay. I'm also glad to hear that your father is taking this so well. Cheer up, bud. You'll pull through all of this.

And, if I see more of you on the C Board, that'd be cool :-)

Govtcheez
09-02-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by joshdick
Govtcheez, you need to chill the crap out.
Why?

Krak's not even 17. He's more than likely had his license for less than a year, and he's already almost killed himself and whoever was in the car with him, because he flipped out and didn't know what to do when something went wrong. Don't give me that brain-lock crap.

I drive 100+ miles every day. I don't need people on the road that don't know how to drive.

FillYourBrain
09-02-2003, 12:37 PM
cheez, that was some serious restraint that I saw. I have no idea what joshdick is talking about. If you're going to be accused of needing to "chill out" I suggest that you might as well just lay into him next time. In fact, go ahead and flame me. I deserve it. I might like it :eek:

Govtcheez
09-02-2003, 12:38 PM
Your mother dresses you funny and you are fat.

FillYourBrain
09-02-2003, 12:38 PM
DAMN that hurts so good.

darksaidin
09-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Which do you prefer - latex or leather?

Waldo2k2
09-02-2003, 05:37 PM
slow the hell down

i almost got killed this summer cause the person driving me decided to be an idiot and chase some guy...she ended up doing 80 around a turn that your tires squeel at 50, you can fill in the rest.

anyway, if you don't know the road, don't break the speed limit, and if you knew that road, you would have already slowed down.