PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football thread - Trash talking and news

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Govtcheez
08-26-2003, 11:26 AM
Anyone else involved in a fantasy football league or want to be? I'll run one if there enough interested parties, but you guys need to come out of the woodwork soon, like within the next few days.

I'm doing one through Yahoo Sports right now, and that's what I'd likely do this one through.

Otherwise, use this thread to post your teams, predictions, and news.

Here's my team:

McNabb, Donovan (QB-Phi)
Brooks, Aaron (QB-NO)
James, Edgerrin (RB-Ind)
Martin, Curtis (RB-NYJ)
Lewis, Jamal (RB-Bal)
Johnson, Keyshawn (WR-TB)
Boston, David (WR-SD)
Bradford, Corey (WR-Hou)
Price, Peerless (WR-Atl)
Brown, Troy (WR-NE)
Sharpe, Shannon (TE-Den)
McMichael, Randy (TE-Mia)
Vinatieri, Adam (K-NE)
Lindell, Rian (K-Buf)
Green Bay (DEF-GB)

Aran
08-26-2003, 02:03 PM
Isn't their some sort of auto-draft that usually happens?

I'd be interested in starting a league, anyhow.

TechWins
08-26-2003, 02:21 PM
Hell ya I'll join! Last year I tried getting a league going here but not enough people were interested. So come on everyone join in, please. I didn't bother joining another fantasy football league this year, because it doesn't interest me anymore unless I know the people somehow. All my (old) friends are moved around the country now and we aren't in touch with each other anymore so it makes it hard for us to have a league...

Gov, I think your team is awesome. How many people are in your league, because that's a very good team. The only concern I would have is your defense due to the injuries Green Bay has had in the preseason. You might want to think about picking up another backup D.:)

Govtcheez
08-26-2003, 02:44 PM
> How many people are in your league, because that's a very good team.

There are 7 of us.

> due to the injuries Green Bay has had in the preseason

I know - that and losing Gilbert Brown. They weren't my first choice - hopefully I can trade. I'm just happy I got McNabb.

> Isn't their some sort of auto-draft that usually happens?

The way yahoo does it is you go in and edit their pre-ranked players to what you want. They determine the draft order and go through and pick the top players available from everyone's list.

Govtcheez
08-26-2003, 02:52 PM
Alright, I've created the league and am sending out invitations to the e-mail addresses you guys have in your profiles. If you want to get in the league with a different addy or just don't feel like posting in this thread, PM or e-mail me.

It's a points based league and I'm going to let the autodraft go Friday sometime, so it's sure to be done in time for the regular season.

TechWins
08-26-2003, 03:02 PM
Could we do it on Saturday instead? I think it would be more fun if we had a real live draft. In fact, I don't think it's fun at all not having a live draft.

Govtcheez
08-26-2003, 03:49 PM
That'd be cool, but I'm going to be really busy this weekend and won't have time to be there (and I'm sure I'm not alone, it being a holiday weekend). Sorry :(

You can trade as much as you want after the draft occurs, though.

Zewu
08-26-2003, 03:56 PM
Let us just get this straight, do you with "football" mean what in British English would be referred to as "American football"? Otherwise, "football" would be what in American English would be referred to as "soccer".

Well, if it's about football, I'm definitely interested in being in it! (I use British English)

Govtcheez
08-26-2003, 04:01 PM
American football.

Govtcheez
08-27-2003, 05:40 AM
No one else feels like playing? :(

This is a sure thing to go off, whether we have 3 players or 15, just to let you know.

RoD
08-27-2003, 10:21 AM
rod@cprogramming.com

I'm in.

PJYelton
08-27-2003, 05:20 PM
Count me in as well! I've never played fantasy football, just baseball. Got two first place teams over on yahoo.

haganinc@aol.com

Govtcheez
08-27-2003, 06:20 PM
I've sent out invites to PJ and rod - let me know if you didn't get them.

Also - I'm the only team actually registered right now - what gives?

PJYelton
08-27-2003, 07:30 PM
I just registered, although as of two seconds ago it was just you and me.

RoD
08-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Got it, but i gotta reg for yahoo and stuff first. Wait till tomorrow i am exhausted from work, i feel like ima fall over lol.

RoD
08-28-2003, 09:47 PM
I'm all set, my team own u. Everyone join the Eagles :cool:

JaWiB
08-28-2003, 10:48 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but I don't have a clue what this fantasy football stuff is about...do you actually have to know about real players? I'm sorry I'm just a geek, I don't follow football that closely :)

Govtcheez
08-29-2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by JaWiB
I don't know about everyone else, but I don't have a clue what this fantasy football stuff is about...do you actually have to know about real players? I'm sorry I'm just a geek, I don't follow football that closely :) Yeah. The site offers prerankings of all the players and gievs news if they're injured or whatever, too. You really don't have to know a ton about football to play this.

Alright, I'm gonna run the draft sometime today or tomorrow - I've still got 2 outstanding e-mails (TechWins and Aran), but right now we've got 4 teams, which is enough to run a league (even if it is a little one). The draft goes tomorrow at the absolute latest, whether you two are in or not.

RoD
08-29-2003, 08:51 AM
what are the chances you can hold the draft till like 10:30 pm EST?

Govtcheez
08-29-2003, 09:07 AM
10:30 Saturday night or tonight?

I dunno, I suppose I could, but I really don't like pushing it back that far... I want to make sure it goes off before the season starts (but we'll probably be okay).

I'm going to be at a party Saturday night, so if you meant Saturday night, it'll actually be Sunday.

RoD
08-29-2003, 09:13 AM
tonite. Unless we do it like now ill miss it because i have to wrok till 10:00 and get home round 10:30

Govtcheez
08-29-2003, 09:21 AM
It doesn't matter if you miss it - it's not a live draft.

RoD
08-29-2003, 09:26 AM
o, ok cool. I'm a FF newbie lol.

Govtcheez
08-29-2003, 09:33 AM
No, the way it works is this.

The site has their top 25 players pre-ranked. You can rearrange these (and you really should) to your liking, or just throw whoever you want in there. When I let the draft go, someimte between then and 3 days from then, it'll draft. The comptuer picks the draft order, and goes to the first guy. He gets his pick. The next guy gets his first pick, if it's not taken. Otherwise, he gets his second pick. It moves down the line from there.

PJYelton
08-29-2003, 09:33 AM
Come on people!! Last chance to join this league! Its free, easy, you don't need to know much if anything about football, and could give you bragging rights here at CProg for a year! Anyone else want to join??

Early prediction: Flaming Geckos by 30 games

RoD
08-29-2003, 09:35 AM
Flaming Geckos lose by more than 30 games

Fixed :D

PJYelton
08-29-2003, 09:57 AM
Hmmm.... lets see here, going against the NFL's worst choker (aka the Saints) and against the NFL's second worst choker (aka the Eagles). Talk about a gimmee for me and cheez to finish 1 and 2!

RoD
08-29-2003, 10:01 AM
LOL i agree on the saints haha. I lost a bet last season that caused me to have to talk about how good the saints were and how i found warren sapp attractive and they made it sticky.

good times.

Govtcheez
08-29-2003, 10:17 AM
> LOL i agree on the saints haha. I lost a bet last season that caused me to have to talk about how good the saints were and how i found warren sapp attractive and they made it sticky.

That was the best idea I ever had.

RoD
08-29-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
That was the best idea I ever had.

If i recall it was me, you, ken, kermi, and bmj in an aim chat watching the eagles/tampa game.

Govtcheez
08-29-2003, 10:44 AM
Something like that. I remember you said I had to write something about what a stupendous badass McNabb was if Philly won. Then I said you had to pronounce your undying love for the portly Mr. Sapp.

RoD
08-29-2003, 10:59 AM
lol yea, philly will make it this year. I finally got my jersey : )

Govtcheez
08-29-2003, 11:00 AM
I really hope they do well in the regular season and bomb in the playoffs, so I can make you do embarrassing things again :)

RoD
08-29-2003, 11:12 AM
lmao at least my team has a shot. Kermi was still talking bout how good the saints r last nite, im worried for his sanity lol.

TechWins
08-29-2003, 01:28 PM
I guess I'll still join if it hasn't started yet. I never received the email, unless you sent it to some other email address I have no idea about. Send the info to kyleclark80@hotmail.com or give it to me whereever on this site it doesn't matter.

Govtcheez
08-29-2003, 02:47 PM
could sworn I sent you one. Oh well, resent.

TechWins
08-29-2003, 04:02 PM
still not getting it...

kermi3
08-29-2003, 04:15 PM
I don't care what you all say, or how much RoD loves Sapp - the saints will do well this year! We had the best O in the league last year till our QB and RB got hurt. This year they won't. Plus Brooks is said to be more accurate, quicker, and a better leader and descision maker. If our brand new Defense plays halfway decently we'll be laughing as we kill the eagles in the playoffs.

Govtcheez
08-31-2003, 08:21 AM
Teams are in - here's mine (I scored, dawg)

Warner, Kurt (QB-StL)
McNabb, Donovan (QB-Phi)
Burress, Plaxico (WR-Pit)
Ward, Hines (WR-Pit)
Robinson, Koren (WR-Sea)
Johnson, Chad (WR-Cin)
Price, Peerless (WR-Atl)
Martin, Curtis (RB-NYJ)
McAllister, Deuce (RB-NO)
Taylor, Fred (RB-Jac)
Sharpe, Shannon (TE-Den)
Pollard, Marcus (TE-Ind)
Akers, David (K-Phi)
Bench Reed, Jeff (K-Pit)

Tampa Bay (DEF-TB)

My only gripe is that Philly's first game is against Tampa, so I'm gonna sit McNabb.

TechWins
08-31-2003, 08:31 PM
I never got an email so I wasn't able to join, too bad.

kermi3
08-31-2003, 10:16 PM
I don't know, my team ain't too shabby:

Manning, Peyton (QB-Ind)

Moss, Randy (WR-Min)
Holt, Torry (WR-StL)
Boston, David (WR-SD)
Williams, Ricky (RB-Mia)
McAllister, Deuce (RB-NO)
Stevens, Jerramy (TE-Sea)
Garcia, Jeff (QB-SF) - BENCHED
Shockey, Jeremy (TE-NYG) - BENCHED
Henry, Travis (RB-Buf) - BENCHED
Toomer, Amani (WR-NYG) - BENCHED
Johnson, Keyshawn (WR-TB) - BENCHED
Feely, Jay (K-Atl)
Elam, Jason (K-Den) - BENCHED

Defense Team
Pittsburgh (DEF-Pit)

I was going to play Garcia but he's playing Chicago and Peyton is playing Cleveland...and well it is Cleveland. Not totally sure which WR's I'm going to use. I kinda want to use Keyshawn but the eagles have a decent D so i probably won't.

RoD
09-01-2003, 06:41 PM
hey guys my modem got fried in the storm the other night it'll be a few days before i get back on.

PJYelton
09-01-2003, 09:53 PM
I don't know Cheez, I think you'll be lucky if your two quarterbacks play a COMBINED 16 games this year. Warner will be benched and Dante is a lock to be injured again imo. But score on TB for your defense though! Its so weird to see so many players on waivers that are so good, but I guess thats to be expected with only four of use playing. I'm happy with my team:

QB Culpepper, Daunte (QB-Min)
WR Harrison, Marvin (WR-Ind)
WR Moulds, Eric (WR-Buf)
WR Gardner, Rod (WR-Was)
RB Alexander, Shaun (RB-Sea)
RB Faulk, Marshall (RB-StL)
TE Gonzalez, Tony (TE-KC)
Bench James, Edgerrin (RB-Ind)
Bench Johnson, Brad (QB-TB)
Bench Mason, Derrick (WR-Ten)
Bench Crumpler, Alge (TE-Atl)
Bench Driver, Donald (WR-GB)
K Vanderjagt, Mike (K-Ind)
Bench Carney, John (K-NO) - -
DEF Green Bay (DEF-GB)

Govtcheez
09-02-2003, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by TechWins
I never got an email so I wasn't able to join, too bad. Sorry man - I tried twice - don't know what happened. We'll have to get you in next year, though.

TechWins
09-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Eh, it's no problem. Thanks for trying.

ober
09-02-2003, 09:06 PM
eh... I'm not interested.

;)

you won't get this unless you're cheez

Govtcheez
09-07-2003, 07:13 PM
Just lettin you guys know, I'm going to be writing writeups every week after the games are done to let you know what's going on with points and news. Right now, everyone looks reasonably even; PJ and kermi may be a little ahead after this week, but we'll see (damn Warner for losing 3 fumbles).

Oh, and rod, are you high? Why the hell'd you start Vick?

TechWins
09-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Falcons 1-0

Govtcheez
09-08-2003, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by TechWins
Falcons 1-0 That's cool, but Vick didn't play, and won't play for several weeks. He's got that nasty broken leg to deal with.

PJYelton
09-08-2003, 09:35 AM
Great, in third place already and only ahead of a team that started a quarterback with a broken fibula. But I think its a conspiracy against me, how else to explain the fact that a top defense with the returning sack leader got a whopping ZERO sacks vs the Texans (a team that allowed an average of like 10 sacks a game last year!), while the mastermind coaching the Rams decides that it is better to have a crappy quarterback with a concussion throw 60+ times - despite the fact that he fumbled 6 times - instead of handing the ball to your best weapon (Faulk only had like 8 carries!) A conspiracy I tell ya.

At least the Broncos won. Hey Kermi, what happened to your Saints? Look on the bright side, at least you won't have to suffer the heartache of watching them choke this year!