PDA

View Full Version : What are you working on/studying?

curlious
08-24-2003, 01:53 PM
I was wondering what everyone is currently doing with regards to programming.

I am on my second beginners book. After having finished C++ Primer Plus I am now working through Deitel and Deitels book.
Just a hobbiest there is so much I want to know, but somtimes hobbies get put off for several days.

No current independant projects.

doubleanti
08-24-2003, 02:11 PM
ECE 70A and ECE 31LB if that means anything to you, hehe...

Network analysis and VHDL coding for the lab...

PS wow, it sounds more complicated then it is, hehe... lets see... second order nonhomogeneous sequential circuits in the laplace domain... y'know... I was looking forward to simultaneous differential equations thinking it'd be more interesting than this, but well it's useful anyway =)

not so C programming related...

adrianxw
08-24-2003, 02:24 PM
DA:

Finished with the ego trip yet?

>>> what everyone is currently doing

Trying to find enough time to re-publish my tutorials to cut the crap out of registry and multithreaded programming.

Nothing to do with great long sentences of buzzwords that the rank and file members here will not understand, (but some of us do), to further ones elitetism. %#%#/"&"%#hole - oooh, line noise.

confuted
08-24-2003, 02:34 PM
DirectX, more specifically, mainly Direct3D

spoon_
08-24-2003, 03:47 PM
University classes including CS 3101 (Boolean Algebra & Logic Analysis/Gates) and CS 3410 (Data Structures).

Personal project: factoring using Java.

Bieh
08-24-2003, 04:31 PM
Studying: For exams :(

Coding: Still working on my game; due to be released any year now, really :)

doubleanti
08-24-2003, 05:56 PM
Eh... sorry... then, like Bieh, I'm studying for exams.....

major_small
08-24-2003, 08:34 PM
going to study computer systems management...
working on battle system (posted in C++ thread)

xds4lx
08-24-2003, 09:37 PM
heh its been a while since ive been here just crazy things have happened in life and work. but im starting for my masters degree taking 3 different classes on object oriented software development

Speedy5
08-24-2003, 09:52 PM
Just about finishing the bytecode specification for my (and AzureIce's) programming language: spark. (Everything on the site is old ;)) Gonna start the actual programming part reeeeallllll soon...

Working on a 2D game where its a RTS but you can jump into your units and drive them around (like battlezone 2 without the 3D). The map rotates around you, not you rotate and the map is static. Runs great on a 366 MHz, 80 FPS.

Also working on my AP US History summer assignment :(. Its 220 pages of reading, small font. Thats the REAL killer, the reading. Its as boring as being at the mall with a girl with cash to spend... :D Then define 80 terms, 2 sentences each. Then provide evidence to 15 conclusions, 5 sentences each.

Brian
08-24-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Speedy5
The map rotates around you, not you rotate and the map is static.

That would confuse me.

confuted
08-24-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Brian
That would confuse me.

It wouldn't be confusing to code... but it would be very confusing to play, methinks. Why are you taking that approach?

Speedy5
08-24-2003, 10:27 PM
I'm doing it because I find it eternally easier to aim if your target is in an easy line of sight, that being, straight up the screen. When you target a unit, you will get a lead approximation HUD thing which will tell you where to shoot so that your weapon hits the target if in a linear trajectory. If your ship rotates, it'll be harder to aim for the lead, or even the target because you're not used to thinking sideways, or in a 230 degree angle or in a 120 degree angle. Its easier to think straight up (90 degrees).

Also, your ship is not in the center of the screen. Its at 1/2 width horizontally (center), 2/3 height (offset). That way you see more of whats in front of you and less of whats not important, thats whats behind you.

All this is good for dogfighting (its multiplayer too), at least I think. Question: How would it be confusing to a player?

Its like 3D but overhead view, I think. The map images will look like 3D overhead views too.

It took a long time to code and figure out. You could do the standard approach of calculating the position of each rotated pixel but thats too slow. I process approx. 150,000 pixels, 80 times a second, on a "old" comp, using a different method. As if that wasn't fast enough, I'm gonna implement another algothimn in addition so that if you don't rotate by a significant angle, it won't process that many pixels (your eyes won't see the difference). And remember that the whole thing is offset. :D

Silvercord
08-24-2003, 10:35 PM
speedy the maps always rotate around you, even in 3d that is what happens, even if you are doing 3d polar coordinates and using the gluLookAt function that is what happens, so I basically don't know what you are talking about.

In terms of coding I've just been touching up on the BSP engine of our main game engine, so once I've got that in there you will actually be able to land on the planets and walk around on them.

EDIT: speedy, what you are doing sounds way too complicated for something that basically seems trivial.

Speedy5
08-24-2003, 10:40 PM
I'm using DirectDraw and I'm modifying the pixels by hand (well, not really :D) to rotate the map. I'm not using any other libaries.

Most NES/SNES games where you drive some tank, or race a car -- their maps are static. If you turn your tank, you are the one rotating, not the map itself like you would expect 3D games to. Most 2D games don't have rotating maps.

EDIT: Its already coded, and it works btw.

Silvercord
08-24-2003, 10:59 PM
But that's just it, what do you really think happens when you say 'you are the one rotating'. You are rotating your view vector and changing your position, and unless you perform the transformations manually you probably pass
1) the position of the camera
2) the view vector (in worldspace)
3) the up vector

and then it uses that to rotate the world around you before drawing! The glu library supplies gluLookAt and I know I"ve seen similar in d3d code.

EDIT: ohh I think I somewhat might have mis understood what you were saying, the total effect is different right? I believe I was confusing what you said with something different.

Speedy5
08-24-2003, 11:11 PM
I know about those 3D vector/matrix stuff. Although it looks like the map is rotating around you, its actually just a different viewpoint matrix. But I don't use any of that.

Yea, in my game, you ALWAYS point up, even when you turn and move. That way, the map and everything else seems to rotates around you.

Still, how would it be confusing to a player?

Perspective
08-24-2003, 11:13 PM
no, i think your right silver, rotations and translations done by the 'camera' are actually rendered by doing the opposite things to the scence.

what im donig: 3rd year of Comp. Sci.

Silvercord
08-24-2003, 11:17 PM
perspective what speedy is talking about is the difference between a 2d tank moving through a 2d maze (where the maze stays in more of less the same spot and it is only the tank moves) versus the tank staying in the exact center of the screen and the maze always moving around you. How the actual math to get that done is moot, he's just talking about two different visual effects. DAMMIT I AM SUCH AN $$$$$$$ I MAKE EVERYTHING SO COMPLICATED I SUCK I SUCK I SUCK!

Silvercord
08-24-2003, 11:17 PM
is comp sci fun per?

Speedy5
08-24-2003, 11:21 PM
Well its not in the exact center. Its 2/3 down the screen. :p

Whats moot?

What college Perspective?

Silvercord
08-24-2003, 11:39 PM
I usually tell people to go to dictionary.com

but moot basically means that something makes an irrelevant point

confuted
08-25-2003, 08:38 AM
Perspective, I just think it would be confusing to the player (at first) because "conventionally" the player rotates and the map doesn't, so that's what everyone is used to. So people might get (slightly) confused for the first 10 minutes or so.

darksaidin
08-25-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by confuted
Perspective, I just think it would be confusing to the player (at first) because "conventionally" the player rotates and the map doesn't, so that's what everyone is used to. So people might get (slightly) confused for the first 10 minutes or so.

Hu? What about sidescrollers? I mean it's a translation, not a rotation, but we have a static object (the player, his ship or whatever) and a world that moves around it.

Govtcheez
08-25-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by confuted
Perspective, I just think it would be confusing to the player (at first) because "conventionally" the player rotates and the map doesn't, so that's what everyone is used to. So people might get (slightly) confused for the first 10 minutes or so. I dunno - it seems like I see more games with the way speedy's doing it. Meh, I think it may take a couple seconds of getting used to, but wouldn't be that bad.

Anyways, I'm currently trying to desparately finish my thesis project on time. It involves porting a 4 level communications protocol from the vendor-written code to somehting that will function with our RTUs on an RCM2100 micro. Also, I've had to port uC/OS II, but that's completed. [/elitist loser]

I'm porting code so I can get my degree.

adrianxw
08-25-2003, 09:50 AM
Whose RTU's do you use cheez?

Govtcheez
08-25-2003, 10:06 AM
Westronic/GE

(well, that's the kind we frequently use, but not always. This'll be made by Rabbit Semiconductor)