PDA

View Full Version : Web Site



gcn_zelda
08-08-2003, 06:11 PM
Since there's no HTML board here, I decided to post on the GD Board. I've gotten pretty good at basic web layouts. Here are a few of my test subjects

The site for a game I'm making (http://freewebs.com/gcn_zelda/BrokenBlade/index.htm)

My friends site (http://freewebs.com/sonic500/index.htm)

C&C, please!

-KEN-
08-08-2003, 06:15 PM
I swear to God, if you ever attempt to use a bitmap on a webpage again I'm going to slit your throat. That's definitely a violation of everyone's web design guides. Not to mention you didn't even get the colors right.

Also, it's not that hard to use invisible tables. Please do.

Oh, and two words: COLOR SCHEME.

gcn_zelda
08-08-2003, 06:17 PM
K. Thanks. I'll do that.

napkin111
08-08-2003, 06:21 PM
Don't take Ken's words too harshly, he has a tendency of being like that lol. He does however prove many good points.

//napKIN

confuted
08-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Don't use frames. They're the number 1 mistake in web design - unless you use them well, which you didn't. Tables are much nicer for what you're doing, and inline frames are good for some things. (the tag is <IFRAME>) At least get rid of the borders on those frames.

My site (http://confuted.webhop.org) has a very simplistic looking design, and uses tables and one inline frame (for the links) to do all the layout. (The corners are .gifs) Remember, simpler is better with web design.

gcn_zelda
08-08-2003, 09:53 PM
er...I didn't use frames...

-KEN-
08-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by blackrat364
Don't use frames. They're the number 1 mistake in web design - unless you use them well, which you didn't. Tables are much nicer for what you're doing, and inline frames are good for some things. (the tag is <IFRAME>) At least get rid of the borders on those frames.

My site (http://confuted.webhop.org) has a very simplistic looking design, and uses tables and one inline frame (for the links) to do all the layout. (The corners are .gifs) Remember, simpler is better with web design.

1) No frames in his page
2) No reason to use frames on your page. Try tables or CSS. Hopefully CSS.
3) Redesign your entire website.

confuted
08-08-2003, 10:20 PM
1) Whoops, sorry, with those lines, I thought that your table was frames. My bad. It's still ugly though :p

2) I use an inline frame on my site so that I can store the links in another file. The layout is all done with tables. I don't know CSS and don't have time to learn it or I would use it.

3) What's wrong with my design?

XSquared
08-08-2003, 10:50 PM
While we're on the topic of websites... anyone got any comments? (http://markripper.xsquared.ca/) It's a site I started in February, and I stopped working on it soon after. I really need to start working on it again.

RoD
08-08-2003, 11:12 PM
good start there x

-KEN-
08-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by XSquared
While we're on the topic of websites... anyone got any comments? (http://markripper.xsquared.ca/) It's a site I started in February, and I stopped working on it soon after. I really need to start working on it again.

I like it. Just add more to the front page, it's wayyyy too bare.

>>2) I use an inline frame on my site so that I can store the links in another file. The layout is all done with tables. I don't know CSS and don't have time to learn it or I would use it.<<

I guess it makes it easier for you to update the links, and that's why you did it? If so, I'll give you that.

>>3) What's wrong with my design?

One large, round-edged square isn't very exciting. It's one of the most boring sites thsat I've ever seen. Not to mention the red on that greeny-blue isn't the best looking. Try using a black with a 1px white stroke around it.

PS: LEARN CSS.

XSquared
08-09-2003, 09:38 AM
>>Just add more to the front page, it's wayyyy too bare.
Yeah, I know. Most of the work I've been doing is on the back-end coding.

confuted
08-09-2003, 01:04 PM
>>Try using a black with a 1px white stroke around it.<<

How do I do that? Do I need CSS? I don't know of any way to do it with standard HTML.

XSquared
08-09-2003, 01:12 PM
>>How do I do that? Do I need CSS?
Yes

-KEN-
08-09-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by XSquared
>>How do I do that? Do I need CSS?
Yes

Or, if you want to use an image, photoshop. I'd go with CSS.

Shadow
08-09-2003, 07:46 PM
My old website, Vortex Of Tech, had a very nice layout. Sleek, and the downloads section(which had some 20 files) along with the links section(some 30-40 links) was organized very well, and made flipping through the pages for these, like turning through the pages for a book. Vortex Of Tech, is now closed, and some of it's information was moved on over to Bits & Pieces (http://bitsandpieces.logistixweb.net) with more information added.

However, Bits & Pieces, uses 1 frame, and the occasional table/picture, with mostly all writting. I'm done with layout. Too tiring for me when it's done on my own time. Too tedius and discouraging/annoying. The only layout I worry about now is organization of thought, and separation of pieces of information...which I don't care too much about either. My site is now created to look like a piece of paper printed off from a computer, not the back of a video game box. I like it this way, and it takes me a matter of seconds to add a page filled with content, not days.

I concentrating on content now, not specifically any level of content in that particular field, but content. I discuss the things I like, study, and do frequently.

If you never saw my old site(VOT), ask Hammer how it was. He said he liked it, and it looked smart.

Xterria
08-09-2003, 09:49 PM
Sonic is f'ing awsome

XSquared
08-09-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Xterria
Sonic is f'ing awsome
Did I miss something?

Shadow
08-09-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by XSquared
Did I miss something? Probably this (http://freewebs.com/sonic500/index.htm) website.

XSquared
08-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Maha.

gcn_zelda
08-13-2003, 08:02 PM
I fixed up Sonic Haven (http://freewebs.com/sonic500/) quite a bit. Tell me what you think now.

-KEN-
08-14-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by gcn_zelda
I fixed up Sonic Haven (http://freewebs.com/sonic500/) quite a bit. Tell me what you think now.


ARE YOU COLORBLIND OR JUST IGNORANT?


Also: INVISIBLE TABLE BORDERS ALREADY.