PDA

View Full Version : the army is funny

the Wookie
08-07-2003, 06:43 PM
http://www.firstgov.gov/fgsearch/index.jsp?mw0=gays&rn=37&in0=domain&dom0=www.army.mil&parsed=true

i searched for "gays", look what gets highlighted :D

RoD
08-07-2003, 07:05 PM
I think the real issue is why are you looking for gay people :eek:

the Wookie
08-07-2003, 07:23 PM
lol, i was looking for the armys policy on gays. because you know if you get drafted or something of you sort, you can jump out and yell "im gay!"

or something like htat

RoD
08-07-2003, 07:27 PM
With my luck that would put me on the front line. I'm the only son i cant be drafted anyway.

confuted
08-07-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by RoD
With my luck that would put me on the front line. I'm the only son i cant be drafted anyway.

Since when does being an only son save you from being drafted?

-KEN-
08-07-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by blackrat364
Since when does being an only son save you from being drafted?

...for as long as I can remember?

Also, I don't think that "Don't Ask Don't Tell" works with the draft.

confuted
08-07-2003, 08:05 PM
Wow, cool. I never knew that. If it really does, I won't be drafted.

Woohoo! No moving to Canada for me!

RoD
08-07-2003, 08:08 PM
The idea is that the only son, or the oldest, has the job of carrying on the family name, and therefore is not eligible to go to war.

Thantos
08-07-2003, 08:58 PM
Hate to tell ya but there is nothing in the law or policy preventing the only son from being drafted. Also saying you are gay isn't enough to get booted anymore. If someone that is in the military says they are gay an investagation has to be launch to determine if that person has have or is likely to have homosexual sex. Its a fairly in depth investagation and at the end its up to the commanding officer to decided if they should recommend seperation or not to the commanding general.

Had a class on this very subject matter about 5 months before I got out :)

Thantos
08-07-2003, 09:00 PM
Oh and the chances of anyone getting drafted is slim to none. Modern warefare is so technical now-a-days that its not cost effiective to draft.

RoD
08-07-2003, 09:01 PM
The library has a book, manual type deal, publshed this year (2003) by the goverment all specifically about the draft and policies and it states that the only son cannot be drafted....

Thantos
08-07-2003, 09:04 PM
do you have the name of the book? also which government agency?

RoD
08-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Not off the top of my head, but i can find out next time i go to town. If not tomorrow i will be near there saturday afternoon ill stop in and look.

Thantos
08-07-2003, 09:08 PM
Stright from the selective service website:
http://www.sss.gov/FSsurviv.htm

Contrary to popular belief, "only sons," "the last son to carry the family name," and "sole surviving sons" must register and they can be drafted. However, they may be entitled to a peacetime deferment if there is a military death in the immediate family

It is important to keep in mind that the provisions are directly related to service-connected deaths. The mere fact that a man is the only child or only son does not qualify him for consideration - he must be the survivor of one who died as a result of military service.

RoD
08-07-2003, 09:14 PM
Crap....canada anyone?

XSquared
08-07-2003, 09:16 PM
OK.

Thantos
08-07-2003, 09:18 PM
If you are worried about getting drafted read this:

http://ermsapps-web.afis.osd.mil/cgi-bin/rightnow_DefenseLink.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=olONidQg&p_lva=&p_faqid=349&p_created=1042045342&p_sp=cF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTImcF9zZWFyY2hfd GV4dD1kcmFmdCZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPTMmcF9jYXRfbHZsMT1 _YW55fiZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

Highlights are:

As Secretary Rumsfeld stated in a news conference on January 7, 2003, "We're not going to reimplement a draft. There is no need for it at all. The disadvantages of using compulsion to bring into the armed forces the men and women needed are notable. The disadvantages to the individuals so brought in are notable." ... Today ... every single person there is there because they stuck their hand up and said, "I'd like to do that." So the argument, it seems to me, is not persuasive.

RoD
08-07-2003, 09:25 PM
theres a relief...

TechWins
08-07-2003, 11:45 PM
Or....how about not being a p........y and serving your country if you're asked to do so...

Side Note: It's your choice if you don't want to join the service based on your free will, and that is perfectly understandable, however, if the country is in need of having a draft, then it is your duty to fullfill that requirement. Trying to dodge that requirement simply shows your lack of manhood in being an American, in my opinion.

slaveofthenet
08-08-2003, 01:01 AM
It's not about being a pussy, what if you don't think the war is just? What if you're a pacifist? I can see the need if say we were being invaded, I'd be inclined to go out and fight for my my country then. On the other hand, I'm not going to go to some foreign country to fight (and maybe die) if I don't think it's for a damn good reason.

TechWins
08-08-2003, 02:28 AM
Sorry that was a bit of an overaction on my part. I still do think that you should not dodge the draft regardless. You may not want to be drafted, but think of all the people before us who got drafted that went into wars for a good cause. Many of them probably didn't want to be apart of the war effort, however, if they were to dodge the war, like some of you wish to do, this country may not be what it is today. I'm primarily referring to a lot of WW2 vets who were drafted. Now to me it doesn't seem fair for anyone to dodge the draft considering how so many others have to go or have gone, especially when it's a requirement of your country.

the Wookie
08-08-2003, 06:18 AM
for me the thing is..if theres a draft and we goto to war with some other middle eastern country...ill probably end up fighting against people of the same religion as me

but with draft, i dont think you have to go into a combat position...do you? if you dont, ill pick something like "coffee $$$$$"

Thantos
08-08-2003, 08:26 AM
From the talks I've had with people who were drafted into the Vietnam war, at that time if you were drafted, it was for two years and 99% it was a combat position. What many did was to enlist in the military for three years and picked a different position to go into.

Govtcheez
08-08-2003, 08:32 AM
> What if you're a pacifist?

Conscientious objector. You have to prove it, though.

RoD
08-08-2003, 08:42 AM
I agree that if we were invaded i would talke up arms in a heart beat, but im in no rush to leave the country.

confuted
08-08-2003, 08:50 AM
Does being a Christian count for concientious objector? "Thou shalt not kill"

Govtcheez
08-08-2003, 08:54 AM
> Does being a Christian count for concientious objector? "Thou shalt not kill"

I don't think so - there are lots of websites on the criteria for being one.

http://www.sss.gov/FSconsobj.htm

RoD
08-08-2003, 09:03 AM
You would probably have to prove that you strictly follow your religion to claim that. Lets say, for jus a made up example, that your religion states u cant eat meat, or kill. So the army comes to your house and u claim u cant kill due to religion, but your eating a big mack....busted your going to war.

Govtcheez
08-08-2003, 09:05 AM
> but your eating a big mack....

Dude, you said meat.

RoD
08-08-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
> but your eating a big mack....

Dude, you said meat.

I thought about what you would say right after i posted it, and thats actually what i expected you to say lmao.

Ok, so your eating a damn steak big deal :P

unanimous
08-08-2003, 04:59 PM
Well, just incase we could get drafted I will follow RoD to Canada anyday, well unless the war is beign fought in Easy Naked SuperModel Land.

RoD
08-08-2003, 05:04 PM
ok nobody told me there would be super models......