PDA

View Full Version : Paintball: The solution to stress

Pages : [1] 2

RoD
08-07-2003, 01:15 AM
The last few days have been extremely rough for me. I'm not going to get into why, just know that ive been upset, stressed, all around crapola.

As some of you know i have had a really junky paintball gun for a few months, but never got to play a REAL game. Well my gun is from walmart its a brass eagle pump one, i got it as a gift.

The other day, sunday, my buddy will bought a semi-auto paintball gun on the condition that i agreed to play. Well this inspired a few friends to buy up guns, all semi-auto's.

So we go out to the field, i turn my cell off (which was hard for me because i was waiting on my problem to call me) and we load up the hopper's (paintball gun's container). Mine holds bout 20 paintballs so im like crap. I throw a few lil Co2 cartridges in my pocket, and a nut-driver because i need to loosen the hoseclamp holding my gun together before i can change the co2.

The horn blows, we all dive right in. I dont think i have ever been hit by so many paintballs before, and crap it hurt. Now, paintball isnt a painful sport, but im out there in shorts and a tee shirt, and i come to find out my one friend didnt tune his Rebel gun and was pushing 310FPS....and thats painful, we were told to tune em down to 300. I didnt have too, i was pushing 215.....

So anyway i got my ass kicked, but its the only thing that has releaved my stress. Well, we are supposed to have a HUGE game saturday, but i have a problem. My guns broke, the Co2 finished off the cracks.

The new semi auto i can get is 54.00. Then add in the air tank (24oz) that i can get for 25, the 500 paintballs for 15.00, the helmet for 30.00, and the laser pointer fromt he dollar store, 1.99, and were talking a total cost of....

drum roll please....

126.00!! I have 20.00 in my pocket. I owe my dad 200.00 but im going to beg him for the money, i need to play. Not only is it really fun, but its really helping me take my mind somewhere else, and i get to hang with friends.

Heres hoping i can get the money...

unanimous
08-07-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by napkin111
Crap RoD, its always something with you...

:D
Well anyway if paintball is really that helpful, maybe your dad will give you some cash or can't you atleast rent a paintball gun for the weekend?

RoD
08-07-2003, 01:30 AM
lol yea it is...

Well i COULD but this is quickly going to become something we do all the time, and at the money i would pay to rent i might as well own it ya know.

the Wookie
08-07-2003, 05:47 AM
last time i went i rented a nice tippman. i agree, its tons of fun. shooting things always relieves stress. i havent gone in a few years though..i need to go sometime..

Govtcheez
08-07-2003, 06:21 AM
> The new semi auto i can get is 54.00.

What kind of crap gun is that gonna be?

> the 500 paintballs for 15.00

Ripoff. You should be able to buy cheap paint for about $30 for 2000.

> and the laser pointer fromt he dollar store, 1.99, and were talking a total cost of....

WTF for? You know as well as I do that paintballs don't travel in anything resembling a straight line.

RoD
08-07-2003, 09:33 AM
The gun is a Rebel, used but re-built by the place we play at. The reason the paintballs would cost me that is they dont allow outside paint in : /

As far as the laser, we attached one of them to my buddies gun, same as im getting but blue not silver, and his went exactly where we placed that dot up till about 50 feet then they were slightly off. Its just for nighttime nothing major.

FillYourBrain
08-07-2003, 09:35 AM
I would think the laser pointer would make it easier to find you. So wouldn't that be a hinderance, not a help?

RoD
08-07-2003, 09:41 AM
Well, thats actually what i said when my buddy got his. We played two night games since, and suprisingly unless u are dead even with the laser u cant see it lighting up on the gun, only on you. So say his got me sighted, 9 out of 10 i wasnt able to locate him based on the laser. The only time the beam itsself will show is when you fire and the Co2 escaping out the barrel mists over the beam, that helped pick him out.

The intent is to find the target, turn the laser on and fire. You want to have 98% of the aiming done, its just a quick check so u dont have to follow a fired paintball, u can take one shot to replace three.

Govtcheez
08-07-2003, 09:46 AM
> The reason the paintballs would cost me that is they dont allow outside paint in

I hate that crap. The field near my house does that too - I'm on a never ending quest to find PMI paint with yellow fill and a purple/yellow shell for cheaper than $65 a case.

> laser stuff

So there was no wind, or anything like that? Also, some fields won't allow that - too easy for it to go in someone's eye.

Silvercord
08-07-2003, 09:54 AM
I almost know how you feel, except I was the one with the expensive semi auto kicking the asses of other people. I had a tippmann 98 with that nifty curved flatline barrel, and my friends had those talon pump pieces of crap

one time my friend was pooping in the woods during a paintball game, so we all tried shooting him...earlier when I had a stingray I tried shooting my friend in the face but it hit him in the glans. If you don't remember what the glans is, don't try.

Govtcheez
08-07-2003, 10:12 AM
I really need to get a pic of me with all my gear on

RoD
08-07-2003, 10:20 AM
We should get a pick of me and my group, it'll look right out of bonanza or something lol.

Yea the outside PB is bullcrap. We didnt even know there was a paintball place near us its private and my bud knows the owner but we still cant take out stuff in. He hasnt said anything bout the laser but the more i think of it i think it sound kinda pointless.

The talon guns are gay, mine is literally cracked and wont hold Co2 anymore. I'm trying to find a way to talk to my dad bout whats going on and how this helps without sounding like a total loser.

So what gear do you wear chez? Usually i wear boots, pants, carhart jacket, borrowed mask, and my four wheeler gloves. The first time i played i used my chest protector but its not needed.

Govtcheez
08-07-2003, 10:27 AM
> The talon guns are gay

Look out! It's Captain Understatement!

> So what gear do you wear chez

Well, my gun is a Tippmann 98 with RT, double trigger, a kinda crappy aftermarket barrel, some softer DYE gel grips I put on, and a 12V Viewloader hopper.

I actually wear a JT jersey (it's like an orangish-brown color that doesn't stand out too much in the woods), DYE pants, some cheap football cleats, JT gloves, VForce Armor Goggles, a 4 pod belt from PMI, and... um... boxers. I usually carry a jackknife onto the field and a squeegee around my neck. I've got longer hair, so I'm still trying to figure out something decent to keep my hair and sweat out of my eyes. I wore a hat some last season, which worked great, except that it's bright yellow. This year, I bought a doorag, so we'll see how that works.

RoD
08-07-2003, 10:30 AM
i hadnt thought to wear my dew rag... not a bad idea!

This is basically what i have:

http://www2.888paintball.com/product.asp?plid=GUNS&icid=BRASS+EAGLE&scid=&csid=023986659457073051802897120517737674189873770 29771&code=13%2D1%2DDSY+TLN+GHT+P+P

This is the one im getting:

http://www.actionvillage.com/015-0507-5.html

Govtcheez
08-07-2003, 10:31 AM
Where do you put the gas tank? [/dumb question]

mart_man00
08-07-2003, 10:36 AM
If your really big on military/swat games check out Airsoft(dont buy here, prices are high). (http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store.html)

You can actually be a sniper with this stuff. I did the math once and painball just barely beat it force wise, but airsoft has different kinds of ammo to change that(cheap plastic, good plastic, paintball, good paintball, frozen paintball, metal, steel and some old bbs pellets will work(not todays .177)).

But if you just like running around with this stuff you might like paintball better :D

RoD
08-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Never shoot another person with a frozen paintball....moving on.

If your question was serious look at the bottom of the handle, see the braided line that runs from the bottom to the gun up by the handle? Theres a fitting down there. You would think that would be heavy and uncomfortable, but my buddies with a full 24oz tank is a pretty good weight.

Govtcheez
08-07-2003, 10:41 AM
Oh, ok - yeah, that was serious. I had a brainfart for a minute there.

> metal, steel

Metal AND Steel! No way! I don't think I'd like to play with someone who shot that crap at me.

RoD
08-07-2003, 10:43 AM
nah wait govt i think i like where he is going with this....see im picturing him running, and us firing steel at him.

Anyway, i have a tactical question. How can i estimate whether or not someone is in my guns range based on landmarks? Like i can guess it on my own thought, but i wanna be slightly more accurate without having to test with a PB shot that may give away my good position and cost me a shot.

Govtcheez
08-07-2003, 10:46 AM
> How can i estimate whether or not someone is in my guns range based on landmarks?

Really it's just gonna be you guaging the distance in your head. There're so many variables that it's just kinda like "Crap, that didn't hit - I'll shoot again". Once you get your new gun, spend the extra $5 and buy a bigger hopper so you're not so worried about wasting one measly ball.

edit: And although it's really cool, oneshots are pretty rare... I usually don't fire any less than three at whoever I'm trying to hit. I play a lot of speedball and not much woods, though, so hiding not as big of a deal - you'll probably be seen soon enough anyways.

RoD
08-07-2003, 10:50 AM
doesnt sound like a bad idea. I'm trying to come up with a good way to carry backup pb's with me on the field but im always rubbing on stuff, diving, crawling, i'd end up breaking whatever container i had.

Govtcheez
08-07-2003, 10:52 AM
> carry backup pb's with me on the field but im always rubbing on stuff, diving, crawling, i'd end up breaking whatever container i had.

Buy a pod belt - between my pods and my hopper, I usually bring close to 800 rounds onto the field with me. Never broken my hopper or a pod.

RoD
08-07-2003, 10:55 AM
doesnt sound like a bad idea. I'm reading a bunch of paintball stuff i looked up on yahoo, my buds are all rambo-wannabe's and im trying to get one up on them.

Govtcheez
08-07-2003, 10:57 AM
If you don't wanna spend the money for a belt, you could also just buy a pod or 2 and keep them in your pockets. I've seen it done, but it looks uncomfortable.

RoD
08-07-2003, 10:59 AM
What about buying like two regular 100-ball tubes and keeping them in a waist puch thing (some ppl call em fanny packs or something)?

Govtcheez
08-07-2003, 11:00 AM
That'd work, if you could find one that it'd fit in. I'd just buy the pod belt - paintball's an expensive sport.

mart_man00
08-07-2003, 11:02 AM
Metal AND Steel! No way! I don't think I'd like to play with someone who shot that crap at me.
At a distance it not so bad, close its horrible. Plus most people wear some kind of protection.

The feel is alittle better, since its more real. Plus the speed can be great. You can get more upgrades for the force, plus there fairly accurate.

If you think paintball is pricey check out airsoft prices. But there are more extras, like tracers(the ammo glows in the air) and 1:1 replicas of the guns and its tactical gear. Its baiscly serious paintball.

RoD
08-07-2003, 11:04 AM
i say it sounds retarded and people playing it need to be given glocks with bullets so the problem can be resolved.

Yea, im getting that its fairly costly. I keep reading something bout cleaning paintballs with Acetone but no pages are explaining why, whats the deal?

Govtcheez
08-07-2003, 11:08 AM
> Its baiscly serious paintball.

Sounds like a gun-nut's wet dream.

edit: Paintball's plenty serious - it's just another sport - it's not intended to be survival games, at leas tnot usually.

> I keep reading something bout cleaning paintballs with Acetone but no pages are explaining why, whats the deal?

Paintballs are (usually) vegetable oil encased in a gelatin shell. The shell can be weaked by tons of things - water, too much exposure to sunlight, and dirt, to name a few. Weak balls do weird things - they fly like crap and tend to break in your gun, which sucks. I'm assuming acetone will get them clean w/o that pesky ruining of the balls.

RoD
08-07-2003, 11:13 AM
Hmm ill have to read into that some more. Trying to get a really good feel for the sport, so i can whoop some ass lol. Its becoming my new favorite thing to do, jus gotta talk my dad into letting me borrow the money so i can keep into it ya know.

mart_man00
08-07-2003, 11:29 AM
Sounds like a gun-nut's wet dream.
Does guns scare you? DO you want your mommy now? DO you want the big bad (literate) NRA to go away?

pinkos......

Paintball's plenty serious - it's just another sport - it's not intended to be survival games, at leas tnot usually
When the hell did survival game get mentioned?

Its just accurate paintballs that look real instead of the fake stuff. With the extras you can get involved.

The guns cost more but the ammo is cheaper. All the bodys are aways metal and since there almost always 1:1's then tend to feel nice. They cheap paint ball guns are crap, the pricey ones(i think the stingers were the ones i liked) do feel nice.

Plus i do competition shooting, i have to be a sniper.

Im surprised this many people like paintball. I was waiting for a "Slingshots and Paintball guns are evil' thread....

Govtcheez
08-07-2003, 11:34 AM
>Does guns scare you? ... (literate)

Heh.

> All the bodys are aways metal

Except for crap guns like RoD's Talon, so are paintball guns.

> When the hell did survival game get mentioned?

It wasn't, but you implied it when you said "it's a more serious paintball". Paintball's just a sport.

> Im surprised this many people like paintball

Why wouldn't they? It's totally safe when done correctly.

ZakkWylde969
08-07-2003, 11:36 AM
Get an autococker. I bought a used WGP Orracle autococker from a guy who broke his colarbone and couldn't play for real cheap. I love it. I would recommend getting a nitro system. They are more air for the money although its hard finding refill stations. I have an Air America Apocolypse 2K which runs ar 4500 psi and 88 ci. It can last up to 3 days worth of playing. What are you doing shooting up in the 300 fps? Regulated games are only about 240fps here. And i think you figured out to wear long clothes next time. Paint must be cheap where GC lives because a 2000 round case costs around 50 to 60 down here. Paintball is an awsome sport though

Govtcheez
08-07-2003, 11:39 AM
> for real cheap

How much did you pay for it? I'm looking to get a new marker.

> What are you doing shooting up in the 300 fps? Regulated games are only about 240fps here.

Really? The field near me is at 300, and the otehr one I play it is 290.

> because a 2000 round case costs around 50 to 60 down here.

Most of them are, but I bought a couple cases for like $35 last year. Just gotta get lucky, I guess.

RoD
08-07-2003, 11:41 AM
The guy who owns the field tunes us to no more than 305, dunno why he chooses those numbers. Paintball is a great sport, i absolutely love it. As long as wearing head and face protection your ok, start mixing in steel balls and your being retarded.

Afraid of guns? No way in hell, but were out to have fun not risk hurting one another.

ZakkWylde969
08-07-2003, 03:20 PM
I paid around 700$ for the gun including a hard case and a hose. New ones are over a thousand. But its one of the best guns I have ever used.

RoD
08-07-2003, 04:33 PM
My dads not going to fund it : (

O well, i got a job interview saturday anyway.

ZakkWylde969
08-07-2003, 04:39 PM
Yeah it is a pricey gun. I had to sell my Phantom (equiped with the sniper package) and my Spyder to get it. But it shoots amazing and its great.

RoD
08-07-2003, 04:45 PM
if i got a rlly nice gun i'd want a tipman, the one that feeds as fast as u can pull the trig

ZakkWylde969
08-07-2003, 05:59 PM
The Tipman Custom is a really nice gun. My next door neighbor has that. It's a really reliable gun. I really want to get a Bushmaster though.

RoD
08-07-2003, 06:02 PM
i am a bushmaster....

sorry bad joke. Never seen one of those guns.

Silvercord
08-07-2003, 06:39 PM
I want an angel. However they're made in europe where raw materials cost a lot, and they cost well over 1,000 to buy

RoD
08-07-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Silvercord
I want an angel. However they're made in europe where raw materials cost a lot, and they cost well over 1,000 to buy

I think some fields and stuff ban those. I dont member if govt said that in this thread or if i read it off yahoo searches.

RoD
08-07-2003, 06:58 PM
Items In Shopping Basket Pricing QTY Remove

Item#: GNT98CS
NEW! Tippmann 98 CustomCustom Silver
Our Price: $129.99
Compare At: $199.99
You Save: $70.00

Item#: TKCO220
CO2 Tank - Standard/Various Sizes20oz. - $29.99
Our Price: $29.99

Item#: GGJSBK
JT Spectra 260 ThermalsBlack
Our Price: $39.99
Compare At: $89.99
You Save: $50.00

Item#: SQRS
Redz Barrel Swab (2-Pack) Our Price: $14.99
Compare At: $19.99
You Save: $5.00

Item#: BAXLCBK
Little X CoversBlack
Expected to ship in 2 - 7 days
Our Price: $4.99
Compare At: $7.99
You Save: $3.00

Item#: WAR-300-2
Gold Extended Warranty2 Years - Markers up to $300
Our Price: $29.99

Item#: BTM98
Model 98 Venturi Bolt Our Price: $14.99
Compare At: $29.99
You Save: $15.00

Item#: SGTAHS
Electronic Red Dot " Hot Shot" by ADCO Our Price: $24.99
Compare At: $32.95
You Save: $7.96

Item#: HPRVL2BK
200 Round HopperBlack
Our Price: $8.49

Subtotal: $298.41

Good deal?

ZakkWylde969
08-07-2003, 07:01 PM
15 bucks for a squegee?? The gun is a nice price. Get a Nitro tank though. They last longer.

RoD
08-07-2003, 07:03 PM
I can get my co2 filled for free im not worried bout it. As far as the price on that i dont even kno wat that is, or the lil x coveres thing, it was a gun option i clicked :P

mart_man00
08-07-2003, 08:03 PM
start mixing in steel balls and your being retarded.
I get the point, but its not as dangerous as you think it will be. You can do the math, its just tricky for paintballs(airsoft pellets are more consistant).

They just sting alot more. it good if you have a large area to play in. A official place would probally kick you out.

Just out of curiosity, how do you guys play(im mean every one reading this thread? Free for all? Team style? Scenarios? How do you play(im mean which style, Duke Nukem, Sniper...)?

Heck with the lan party for cprog get a paintball match going.

RoD
08-07-2003, 08:06 PM
>>They just sting alot more. it good if you have a large area to play in. A official place would probally kick you out.

They'd kick you out cuz its a bad idea.

>>Just out of curiosity, how do you guys play(im mean every one reading this thread? Free for all? Team style? Scenarios? How do you play(im mean which style, Duke Nukem, Sniper...)?

Whatever we are in the mood for. Sometimes FFA, CTF, TP, etc.

>>Heck with the lan party for cprog get a paintball match going.

We decided that was too large scale to be pulled off so it has been placed on the back burner for a while.

mart_man00
08-07-2003, 09:08 PM
They'd kick you out cuz its a bad idea.
Nice math. The force will decrease with distance and i already said you have to have space. You cant be playing with idiots.

We decided that was too large scale to be pulled off so it has been placed on the back burner for a while.
You mean the lan party right?

A paintball match would be harder, but it would be alot of fun. It seems that us US guys are spaced to much. I doubt people are willing to go to far.

<offtopic>
I remember hearng something about a cprog irc room, why not just make a couple game rooms like that? Most people wont show up any way, bandwidth will come later. The real question is what game. Some games just scale better.

Delta Force? Rainbox six? What do you guys play?

Maybe ill dig up a old thread and post it.
</offtopic>

RoD
08-07-2003, 11:25 PM
>>A paintball match would be harder, but it would be alot of fun. It seems that us US guys are spaced to much. I doubt people are willing to go to far.

That would be why we canceled it. The lan party that is.

Back on topic: Is that good deal with everything im getting? Its a rlly good gun for the price imo...