PDA

View Full Version : Hey all I'm back

Thantos
08-05-2003, 12:12 AM
Been away from programming for about a year now. Now I'm back at it and am in collage. Now to find my old programming books.

adrianxw
08-05-2003, 03:27 AM
Welcome back. You went off on some posting, Egypt or something didn't you?

Govtcheez
08-05-2003, 06:03 AM
Holy wow!

Where you been?

Thantos
08-05-2003, 09:00 AM
I was stationed in Okinawa. Work had me busy for a while. Got out of the Marines and am now going to collage. This coming semister I have to take Pascal before I can take a C course. Well it was either Pascal or Fortran or Visial Basic.

Govtcheez
08-05-2003, 09:04 AM
Cool - good to see you back

adrianxw
08-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Not Egypt then, I'm sure you said something about Egypt - ah, my memory is not what it was sonny!

>>> Well it was either Pascal or Fortran or Visial Basic.

Visual Basic is a lot more marketable skill to have on your CV than Pascal or Fortran.

RoD
08-05-2003, 09:40 AM
>>Visual Basic is a lot more marketable skill to have on your CV than Pascal or Fortran.

VB is evil, it needs to be banished from society.

Brian
08-05-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by adrianxw

Visual Basic is a lot more marketable skill to have on your CV than Pascal or Fortran.

What is the world coming to?

Thantos
08-05-2003, 10:37 AM
The three classes are basically so the student has a base in a "fundamental language of the object oriented programming"

Not looking to learn it to market it.

Yea I remember something about Egypt also but not 100% what it was :)

adrianxw
08-05-2003, 12:48 PM
>>> What is the world coming to?

Just saying like it is. With the continuing move offshore of IT jobs, the more marketable skills you have on your CV the better. I use Fortran perhaps 4-5 weeks a year, and Pascal, (behind Delphi), probably once/twice a month - but employers aren't interested, (unless they are in the same niche markets).

alpha
08-05-2003, 01:00 PM
Welcome back!:)

Perspective
08-05-2003, 05:49 PM
>> The three classes are basically so the student has a base in a "fundamental language of the object oriented programming"

i thought VB, Pascal, and Fortran were all linear (ie. not so object oriented) languages.

Thantos
08-05-2003, 06:22 PM
Hell if I know for sure. Barely ever touched VB. The true reason I am taking the class and not trying to challange it is that it transfers up to the 4 year university so its worth the time to take the class.

Mental fart when I quoted...quoted the wrong class :)

Think they want those 3 due to them being structured languages (hell if I know what a non structured program looks like though)

adrianxw
08-05-2003, 09:36 PM
>>>
i thought VB, Pascal, and Fortran were all linear (ie. not so object oriented) languages.
<<<

Most modern Pascal compilers are fully object oriented. ISTR it was Apple that introduced "Object Pascal" but Borlands Delphi is the best implementation.

I like Delphi a lot.

Perspective
08-05-2003, 09:41 PM
>> it was Apple that introduced "Object Pascal" but Borlands Delphi is the best implementation

ohhh, i had no idea that Delphi was an implementation of Pascal. i guess you learn something new everyday. Doesnt Pascal use a 1 based system? (ick) does Delphi as well??