PDA

View Full Version : P2p?

Fountain
08-02-2003, 03:57 AM
Hi,

I have been pondering to myself who gains from file sharing networks. Dunno why.

Kazaa has spyware etc, so I guess revenue is generated there.

But Kazaa-Lite is supposed to be spyware free..So now who gains?

Diet-Kazaa is supposed to sit on top of Kazaa and stop spyware working...

I am led to believe Kazaa-Lite is not by the same people as Kazaa-is that right? If so, who writes the code and to what end? Just for the pleasure of it?

I have used the -Lite version trouble free for a good while now with no problems. When D/L though, you may be sharing with a user on Grokster-so does this not mean they are all in it together? ie Kazaa IS Kazaa-Lite IS Grokster etc..

I have Bearshare, who offer a 'pro' version so I guess they have some revenue, even though most people will use the free one.

Just curious as to who gains! Apart from me of course :)

ZakkWylde969
08-02-2003, 04:40 AM
Some sites have advertising on their homepage. Some people are really nice and just want to get their name out maybe?

-KEN-
08-02-2003, 08:08 AM
Obviously they're all evil communists like open-sourcers.

sean
08-02-2003, 08:27 AM
YOu got a problem with that, you capitalist pig?

Fountain
08-02-2003, 08:48 AM
Shush the pair of you.

Seriously, who is gaining? Who pays all the costs? I see no ads on kazaa lite.

Well?

drdroid
08-02-2003, 09:15 AM
you pay for kazaa lite... kazaa has ads... kazaa lite does not.

Fountain
08-02-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by drdroid
you pay for kazaa lite... kazaa has ads... kazaa lite does not.

FU no, I wont go there!

So, WHO does pay then....nothing is free in this life!

Your answer is confused. I pay for kazaa lite, kazaa has ads, kazaa lite does not? WHAT?

I dont do kazaa so I obviously dont pay (ads).

Anybody?

kermi3
08-02-2003, 10:26 AM
If I'm not mistaken Lite still has come ads. Plus they ask for a donation, and ads on the website. I'm sure they get a lot of hits. Oh and ads when you boot up the program.

ZakkWylde969
08-02-2003, 04:20 PM
Kazaa lite has no pop up or spyware. Checked myself. I cleared my system of spyware from Spybot Search and Destroy. Downloaded and rank K-Lite. Ran spybot again and nothing. It shows ads on its web part thats it. They also offer gold things that people use to advertise their games/songs/w/e on and K-Lite gets money from them.

confuted
08-02-2003, 04:40 PM
I think the k-lite people do it as a favor to the people who wouldn't use the network if it was spyware-infested. Most of those people are computer junkies, which means they're likely to contribute a large amount of content to the network and have computers which will be connected a large portion of the time.

Plus, it's probably a pretty fun "hack" for them on the regular Kazaa.

HybridM
08-03-2003, 03:47 AM
Kazaa Lite ISN'T by the same people as Kazaa, they get the latest version of Kazaa and strip it of spyware and do some other stuff.
No one is gaining from kazaa lite, because it's a volunteer project that still uses the kazaa networks, which are paid for by the spyware in normal kazaa, it a whole other layer of corruption :D.

ZerOrDie
08-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by HybridM
Kazaa Lite ISN'T by the same people as Kazaa, they get the latest version of Kazaa and strip it of spyware and do some other stuff.
No one is gaining from kazaa lite, because it's a volunteer project that still uses the kazaa networks, which are paid for by the spyware in normal kazaa, it a whole other layer of corruption :D.

kazaa lite is kazaa cracked it is as simple as that... kazaa being the bastards they are encrypt their protocol and everytime someone cracks it they release a new version :mad: this is why you wont see a *nix version any time soon...

and also why you should refuse to use their software

Xei
08-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Well, Kazaa doesn't really require all that much funding. A file-sharing network keeps its self alive. The only thing that costs is the Kazaa servers that allow the users to connect through. Also, the idea of SuperNodes is a good one and could support more users for less cost, which is what Kazaa uses.

novacain
08-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Kazar is owned by Sharman Networks. They are registered in Vanuatu and incorporated in Australia but do most of their bussiness thru the US and UK. This helps avoid being pinned down by copyright holders.

They make money from selling your excess bandwidth and HD space for 'distributed computing'. As per the shrink wrap licence you sign to install.

Advertising is also a big money spinner.

Kazar lite (Kpp ect) is a modification of Sharmans' code just as a game cracked exe.

codingmaster
08-03-2003, 10:30 PM
Kazaa Lite is a modified Kazaa version, which is bug free, spyware and adware free and has no banners.....

It also includes a lot of good tools for your downloads( Speed up , avi preview, etc.)

I have tons of stuff at home, downloaded with kaaza lite (over 60 GB), the best p2p prog, I ever saw.....

AND IT'S probably used for illegal things and shouldn't have a link here. -nv, mod

Fountain
08-04-2003, 12:22 PM
<Kazar lite (Kpp ect) is a modification of Sharmans' code just as a game cracked exe.>

Umm a game cracked.exe requires no funding so to speak.

People crack games for fun, but it is not on 'the web' so to speak.

Replies indicate -Lite is a cracked Kazaa, which uses their network. If so, that is smart. How do they keep it 'live' for so long?

And yes, -Lite is much better (new one!) with AVI preview etc, makes you wonder why anybody would use Kazaa....But I bet you will tell me
:)

Waldo2k2
08-04-2003, 02:08 PM
well, im not saying kazaa lite is some malicious program, but did it ever occur to anyone that maybe instead of using the 3rd party spyware programs like kazaa does, k-lite does the same thing as those spyware programs itself? I'm not saying this is the case, but it's a possibility and it could explain why some of these free p2p's stay afloat "whithout spyware". Just my 2 cents.

Brian
08-04-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Waldo2k2
well, im not saying kazaa lite is some malicious program, but did it ever occur to anyone that maybe instead of using the 3rd party spyware programs like kazaa does, k-lite does the same thing as those spyware programs itself? I'm not saying this is the case, but it's a possibility and it could explain why some of these free p2p's stay afloat "whithout spyware". Just my 2 cents.

simple. They don't have any cost involved. They just run a small server and the rest is decentralised.

Waldo2k2
08-04-2003, 02:38 PM
well it was just an obscure thought, and i wasn't exactly meaning that kazaa lite was like that, it could be an example extended to any program. Basically the point i tried to get across is that you can't be sure if a program is spyware or not, i mean, if microsoft wanted to (and if they knew they could get away with it) they could monitor everything that went on on your computer and transmit it back for marketing purposes or legal junk or whatever. They could even put it in the terms of service that no one ever reads.

And btw, there's always a cost, running a small server isn't free, bandwidth on any scale costs bucks. Unless they get it in the pay per click ads on the webpage. they have to get revenue somewhere, whether it's donations, or if their p2p is spyware in itself it's anybodies guess. So like i said, it was just something to keep in mind whenever you use someones' software, it's a conspiracy theory man, trust no one.

Brian
08-05-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Waldo2k2
well it was just an obscure thought, and i wasn't exactly meaning that kazaa lite was like that, it could be an example extended to any program. Basically the point i tried to get across is that you can't be sure if a program is spyware or not, i mean, if microsoft wanted to (and if they knew they could get away with it) they could monitor everything that went on on your computer and transmit it back for marketing purposes or legal junk or whatever. They could even put it in the terms of service that no one ever reads.

And btw, there's always a cost, running a small server isn't free, bandwidth on any scale costs bucks. Unless they get it in the pay per click ads on the webpage. they have to get revenue somewhere, whether it's donations, or if their p2p is spyware in itself it's anybodies guess. So like i said, it was just something to keep in mind whenever you use someones' software, it's a conspiracy theory man, trust no one.

We're fairly sure Kazaa lite is spyware free.

If you don't think so, monitor all the registry, internet, and filesystem changes whilst installing. You'll see nothing out of the ordinary.

HybridM
08-05-2003, 11:53 PM
People use kazaa because they're either unaware of kazaa lite altogether, or they just don't know where to get it, which is a good thing for those who do use kazaa lite, otherwise kazaa would go under and we'd all be worse off.

Waldo2k2
08-08-2003, 12:20 AM
If you don't think so, monitor all the registry, internet, and filesystem changes whilst installing. You'll see nothing out of the ordinary.

dude, i was just using kazaa lite as an example, it could be any program, it's just hard to tell, not all spyware acts as you think it should. Peace.