PDA

View Full Version : didn't we get rid of segregation?



Pages : [1] 2 3

confuted
07-31-2003, 10:07 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20030729/ts_alt_afp/us_gays_school_030729152831

How is this constitutional? I thought we got rid of segregation. If my city wants to start a school for all the kids who belong to an ethnic minority, is that okay now?

There's just something wrong with this.

Oh well, most of you will probably think it's a good idea, and make silly arguements about "the kids being beaten in the other schools." Yeah, here's my premptive response: the black boys and girls went through hell when they started going to the "white" schools too. Remember the Little Rock Nine?

These kids shouldn't get their own school.

Govtcheez
07-31-2003, 10:12 AM
The gay kids aren't forced to go to this school.

sean
07-31-2003, 10:14 AM
Without wanting to sound racist, I think that minorities get a lot of special treatment. I never had slaves, so I don't think my tax money should go towards repaying our debt to African-Americans. They were never the slaves themselves, so I don't think they should be getting any more tax dollars than anybody else.

As long as people are not forced to go to one school or the other, it's not unconstituional, but if one group is forced to go to one school or forced not to go to another, then you're right it's out of line.

Just remind youself: God must love stupid people because he made so many. Yeah we got rid of segregation, but there are still idiots out there.

Govtcheez
07-31-2003, 10:26 AM
> I don't think my tax money should go towards repaying our debt to African-Americans

I'd be curious to see what tax dollars "repay our debt". I can't think of any.

edit: Unless you listen to Al Sharpton, who's a ..........ing moron.

confuted
07-31-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
The gay kids aren't forced to go to this school.

Are the straight kids allowed to attend? (just making the argument and showing how it's a form of segregation, albeit an unconventional one)

frenchfry164
07-31-2003, 10:41 AM
I got an answer:
Don't worry 'bout it.

It's not like a christian is going to join a satanic church or otherwise. It's not like a person who is against public nudity is going to join a nudist community. Just don't worry about it. If they want their place where they can feel safe from the outside world, let it be. Why would you WANT to join a gay school, unless you really were gay? Use your head, sillwy! Nothing is stopping you from making a straight school for straight people. If the gays fuss at you for it, just ask them why they would want to join a straight school, and tell them that they have a school of their own too.

You can't tell me you're mad at kids who have all-boy or all-girl clubs?

FillYourBrain
07-31-2003, 10:46 AM
I agree with you entirely. Well except this line. This could never happen without major court cases resulting.

Nothing is stopping you from making a straight school for straight people.This reminds me of the big stinks made over private golf clubs not letting in women or black people. I for one support a private institutions rights to descriminate.

frenchfry164
07-31-2003, 10:47 AM
Well, then the gay school should be faced with the same things.

What if straight people were a minority?

FillYourBrain
07-31-2003, 10:51 AM
I didn't read the article beforehand. It's publicly funded? It's a public school?!?!?! That's BS!

Govtcheez
07-31-2003, 11:03 AM
Give it 2 weeks before a straight kid wants to go there and they have to let him in. It won't be around long.

edit: and the answer to the question in the thread title is "You are freaking dreaming"

ZakkWylde969
07-31-2003, 11:17 AM
What amazes me is this. I don't know much about this exept what I have learned in school and i got this. Black steriotypes are all bad for the most part. If I was to say the majority of crime is commited by black youth I would be called a racist. As a matter of fact that is a statistic though. They hate racism but they bring race into everything. If we want people to stop being segregated and racist why do we have hate crime laws? So if I was to hit someone black or Mexican or whatnot I hate the entire race now? I'm a simple person. I don't think of people as black, white, tan, blue (Although a blue person might catch my attention). Color isn't something that should be brought into everything. Blacks shouldn't bring up slave reperation all the time. It happened but we didn't do it. Are we responcible for what your cousin owes on a car? No. We need to have one of everything. 2 types of schools. Religious and public. Private schools in my opinion shouln't be allowed. What gives them the right to a better education? They have the money! Shouldn't the poor child get the better education so he can make money? Guess he should get a poor education because he is poor. I guess it is natural to dislike or be weary of something different. I personally don't think that racism will one day just drop. It is natural for this.

Thats just my 2 cents (Probably more than 2 :P)

mart_man00
07-31-2003, 11:22 AM
Without wanting to sound racist, I think that minorities get a lot of special treatment

If we want people to stop being segregated and racist why do we have hate crime laws?

Im glad some one else finaly said it.

If its a private school we have nothing. Hopefully enough people will get ........ed off and do something about it. Thats just encouraging kids to be gay. Something most people arent for.

Govtcheez
07-31-2003, 11:34 AM
> Blacks shouldn't bring up slave reperation all the time.

Very, very few do.

> What gives them the right to a better education? They have the money!

Right, and we shouldn't have colleges, either?

> Thats just encouraging kids to be gay

Now you're not even trying.

Clyde
07-31-2003, 11:50 AM
If I was to say the majority of crime is commited by black youth I would be called a racist. As a matter of fact that is a statistic though


Whilst that statistic may well be true, it infact has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with environment. So a more meaningfull and appropriate statistic is one which demonstrates the link between poverty/lack of education and crime.

The reason you might get labled racist is that you might be seen to be implying there is some intrinsic link between race and crime. Ie. that somehow being black of its own accord makes you more likely to commit crime - which if bollocks.



Color isn't something that should be brought into everything.


Agreed, but we live in world where minorities NEED protection because like or not lots of people are STILL prejudiced $$$$$$$s.



Blacks shouldn't bring up slave reperation all the time


I don't know anything about this, so i won't comment.



I guess it is natural to dislike or be weary of something different. I personally don't think that racism will one day just drop. It is natural for this


1) Natural != good.
2) Racism WILL "drop" because its based on NOTHING, skin colour is meaningless, it is no more relevent than eye colour or hair colour or anything else.

Racism stems from ignorance, and ignorance can be defeated by education.

Govtcheez
07-31-2003, 11:55 AM
> ignorance can be defeated

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahA!!!!

Sorry, I thought you said ignorance could be defeated.

Oh wait, you DID?!?

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA!!!!

Clyde
07-31-2003, 11:57 AM
Thats just encouraging kids to be gay. Something most people arent for.


If a kid could become either gay or straight and it was possible to "encourage him" one way or another "encouraging him" to be gay would be no more or less wrong than "encouraging him" to be straight.

-KEN-
07-31-2003, 11:58 AM
^^^^^^^Echo that, ignorance will be around forever^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh man, adter reading cheez's post I just had to "click here to read mart_man00's post".

>>Thats just encouraging kids to be gay. Something most people arent for.<<

Holy $$$$ that's funny. What kind of thought process goes through your head? Any at all? "Oh man I really want to go to the all-gay school....oh well, better get on my knees..." - Jesus Christ are you dumb.

Clyde
07-31-2003, 12:02 PM
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahA!!!!

Sorry, I thought you said ignorance could be defeated.

Oh wait, you DID?!?

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!


Heh, given enough time Govt. I think it can, some of the most staunchly held views of previous generations have been overturned by education and time.

RoD
07-31-2003, 12:04 PM
Ignorance cannot be defeated :rolleyes:

Anyway, i think thats a retarded idea.

Clyde
07-31-2003, 12:12 PM
Ignorant views are always being pushed back by education, they always have been and they always will be. Just look at the impact education has had in the last 200 years.

Having said that ignorance is relative so there will always be people who are ignorant compared others, just not compared to todays standards.

ZakkWylde969
07-31-2003, 12:23 PM
>> Racism WILL "drop" because its based on NOTHING, skin colour is meaningless, it is no more relevent than eye colour or hair colour or anything else.


Yes of course it is based on color. With every new generation there are going to be people who don't like someone because of their color.


>>If a kid could become either gay or straight and it was possible to "encourage him" one way or another "encouraging him" to be gay would be no more or less wrong than "encouraging him" to be straight.

Being straight is natural law though. If people were only gay and never had sex with the opposite sex then eventually the human race would die out. If there were no gays that wouldn't happen from lack of children.

I think gays shouldn't be allowed to be married. I'm against gay pride parades also. These things are like throwing it in a straight persons face. If you want to be gay keep it private for someones sexuality isn't my bussiness.

Govtcheez
07-31-2003, 12:26 PM
> Being straight is natural law though.

1) There is no such thing as "natural law"
2) If there were, what possible reason could there be for it being against it
3) If there were "natural law", what am I doing communicating with people around the world while sitting in a chair 30' off the ground while reading from lights that are neither fire nor the sun and breathing air conditioned air?

FillYourBrain
07-31-2003, 12:31 PM
This thread got stupid so quickly its frightening. The issue at hand is the use of a public school as a "segregated" school. All of a sudden we're talking about natural law and Al Sharpton. It may just be hopeless.:(

Clyde
07-31-2003, 12:31 PM
Yes of course it is based on color. With every new generation there are going to be people who don't like someone because of their color.


No more than in any new generation there are going to be people who don't like someone because they have brown hair.



Being straight is natural law though. If people were only gay and never had sex with the opposite sex then eventually the human race would die out. If there were no gays that wouldn't happen from lack of children.


This is a moronic argument.

A: Natural != Good.
B: Homosexuality is *gasp* natural.
C: No amount of "encouraging" homosexuality, will ever endanger the human race because the majority will always be straight: Genetics.
D: If the "all gay" scenario were possible (which its not) it would take so long to reach it in terms of social evolution that we would have cracked same sex reproduction (technology is almost there to do it now), so it wouldn't matter anyway.



I think gays shouldn't be allowed to be married.


You are a moron.



I'm against gay pride parades also.


Did i mention, you were a moron?



These things are like throwing it in a straight persons face.


No, moron, they aren't.




If you want to be gay keep it private for someones sexuality isn't my bussiness


Then look the other way, i mean im not advocating fornicating in public, but the marches are about seeking equal rights and not being forced to hide who they are.

People shouldn't be forced to hide aspects of themselves, straight peopel don't, gay people shouldn't have to either.

RoD
07-31-2003, 12:32 PM
While i agree with govt that there is no "natural law" i see the point zakk, god help us, is trying to make.

I think a better term is natural intent. Because it is true that if we all followed this other lifestyle the planet would wipe itsself out.

Then again, science can invetro....

Govtcheez
07-31-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by FillYourBrain
Al Sharpton There will be no more bashin' my man Al. Sharpton 2004! Make America the funniest country in the world!

FillYourBrain
07-31-2003, 12:33 PM
oh boy. I'll move.

PJYelton
07-31-2003, 12:35 PM
>>I think a better term is natural intent. Because it is true that if we all followed this other lifestyle the planet would wipe itsself out.<<


:rolleyes: Isn't that like saying that we should outlaw virginity because if we all did it it would wipe us all out?

Clyde
07-31-2003, 12:38 PM
I think a better term is natural intent. Because it is true that if we all followed this other lifestyle the planet would wipe itsself out.


Right because if we were all builders then no one would be farmers and we'd all starve therefore being a builder is against "natural intent". What a load of balls.

mart_man00
07-31-2003, 12:46 PM
Isn't that like saying that we should outlaw virginity because if we all did it it would wipe us all out?
Thats alittle over board.


Well, this will either get a serious response or a flame, I really dont care one way or the other.

Look at the gay kids. There own people talk about suicides and depression, so generaly they have problems(socialy).

Why is it that the gay people always seems to be the 'problem kids'? It drives them to it, sugesting its not a good thing(nothing left to loose, only thing left ...).

So basicly im saying there forced into it, as in its not a choice for most.



Of course we have some gay people that could easily answer this and end it, but they will probally just complain and have a parade like normal...

-KEN-
07-31-2003, 12:49 PM
>>Look at the gay kids. There own people talk about suicides and depression, so generaly they have problems(socialy).

Why is it that the gay people always seems to be the 'problem kids'? It drives them to it, sugesting its not a good thing(nothing left to loose, only thing left ...).<<

Because of bigots like your dumb ass. Kids being driven to suicide and intense depression isn't a function of them being gay, it has everything to do with discrimination and hate.

Clyde
07-31-2003, 12:52 PM
Thats alittle over board.


Which was kind of his point.



Look at the gay kids. There own people talk about suicides and depression, so generaly they have problems(socialy).


Right because people are ignorant $$$$s, and descriminate horribly against them.



Why is it that the gay people always seems to be the 'problem kids'? It drives them to it, sugesting its not a good thing(nothing left to loose, only thing left ...).


..... IF as you claim gay people are more likely to be "problem kids" (and blatently they aren't, any evidence to back up your claim? - No? What a suprise), then its because they are treated so badly by predujiced MORONS, not because there is anything intrinsically wrong with being gay.



So basicly im saying there forced into it, as in its not a choice for most.


Which drug is it that you are on?



Of course we have some gay people that could easily answer this and end it, but they will probally just complain and have a parade like normal...


..... i'm willing to bet that gay people do not think that they were socially "forced" into their sexuality.

PJYelton
07-31-2003, 12:55 PM
Restated for emphasis:


Because of bigots like your dumb ass. Kids being driven to suicide and intense depression isn't a function of them being gay, it has everything to do with discrimination and hate.

And about the whole gay marriage thing. It is absolutely preposterous that it is OK for two people who have known each other for one minute at some sleezy Las Vegas bar get married, or worse yet have a TV show where two people are VOTED to get married having never met each other, and yet a gay couple who love each other dearly and are completely devoted to each other getting married is wrong and not allowed. Blech.

ZerOrDie
07-31-2003, 12:56 PM
:rolleyes: next thing you know they will want to adopt kids :rolleyes:

vasanth
07-31-2003, 12:57 PM
hmm... dont you guys think this thread is revealing the sexuality of many people here... ok.. dont drag me into a war now.. i dont have the strength to argue with anyone now...

mart_man00
07-31-2003, 12:58 PM
Which was kind of his point.
That was alittle to over board, but i get your point. Its a touchy area.


Right because people are ignorant $$$$s, and descriminate horribly against them.
Yeah for normal school reasons.

The jocks bug them for not being a jock. There not nerdy enough for the nerd crowd. Their not a pothead so they cant go with the burn outs. This will never change.

I just think that its more than a coincidence that alot of these people go gay.

If you parrents are fellons(alcholic criminals or something), theres a good chance that envirnoment will effect them. It doesnt have to but theres always some kids that just give in. Im betting that alot of the gay kids just gave up.

But i dont know any so I cant prove it, the numbers just keep making me think it. Plus the fact that i can never get a straight(joke not intended) answer.

Govtcheez
07-31-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by mart_man00
Look at the gay kids. There own people talk about suicides and depression, so generaly they have problems(socialy).Most teenagers are depressed. It a tough time for most people. I'm straight and I was depressed when I was a teenager. What does that do to your little theory?
Originally posted by mart_man00
Why is it that the gay people always seems to be the 'problem kids'? On what do you base that little gem on?

ZerOrDie
07-31-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by vasanth
hmm... dont you guys think this thread is revealing the sexuality of many people here... ok.. dont drag me into a war now.. i dont have the strength to argue with anyone now...

:D hear hear :D

PJYelton
07-31-2003, 01:01 PM
hmm... dont you guys think this thread is revealing the sexuality of many people here... ok.. dont drag me into a war now.. i dont have the strength to argue with anyone now...
LOL if you are implying that I am, in fact I'm not. I just think its absurd the way they are discriminated against as though what they do is wrong and should be outlawed.

mart_man00
07-31-2003, 01:03 PM
next thing you know they will want to adopt kids
Yeah, some will be great parrents, others could just be brain washers.

Weather it true or not most people think of it as a bad thing. Just like alot of people still think of the dangerous gay image(mis-guided, potential dangerous, drug adict, imoral).

So we decide normal. Kids should have a normal environment, not the 'alternative' stuff'.


dont you guys think this thread is revealing the sexuality of many people here
Could you possibly be saying being known as gay is bad thing? :p

PJYelton
07-31-2003, 01:07 PM
Weather it true or not most people think of it as a bad thing. Just like alot of people still think of the dangerous gay image(mis-guided, potential dangerous, drug adict, imoral).

And where did you get this fact? What is the source? Or is this just your gut feeling with no proof? I think most people would disagree with this statement.

Govtcheez
07-31-2003, 01:07 PM
edit: ^^^^^^^^^
"mart_man's gut feeling with no proof" may as well be the name of this thread.

> Yeah, some will be great parrents, others could just be brain washers.


Just like straight parents, huh?

> drug adict

Zuh? Being gay makes you a drug addict?

> Kids should have a normal environment, not the 'alternative' stuff'.

What makes a kid raised in a house by two loving samesex parents inferior to someone whos' raised by some alcoholic woman who beats them?

mart_man00
07-31-2003, 01:08 PM
Quick moving thread.



Most teenagers are depressed. It a tough time for most people. I'm straight and I was depressed when I was a teenager. What does that do to your little theory?
Wow, a actual statement. No flame. Wow, and thanks.

Not every one gives in. And i know what you mean(im sure im younger than you). Some kids keep it together better.

A friend of mine from when we were like 5 is basicly a pot head. Im just down the street from him, hes doing it and im not. Some people just give in.

I really dont now have to phase(i hate how many times you guys ignorant. i probaly wont use that word for awhile...).

vasanth
07-31-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
> Yeah, some will be great parrents, others could just be brain washers.


Just like straight parents, huh?

> drug adict

Zuh? Being gay makes you a drug addict?

> Kids should have a normal environment, not the 'alternative' stuff'.

What makes a kid raised in a house by two loving samesex parents inferior to someone whos' raised by some alcoholic woman who beats them?

looks like i will have to get into this mud battle... :D:D:D
I am not against gays or anything... But why compare an alcoholic family with a gay family.. consider that there are two families one gay and the other "Normal"...... which one would you like to grow in(considering both are alcoholic and beat you up)...

Govtcheez
07-31-2003, 01:13 PM
> considering both are alcoholic and beat you up

Neither.

mart_man00
07-31-2003, 01:13 PM
Zuh? Being gay makes you a drug addict?
No, but thats the image. Thats what alot were(this was probally awhile ago, maybe with the hippies. im not a big fan of gay history).



"mart_man's gut feeling with no proof" may as well be the name of this thread.
Yeah, but you can stick in most americans name in there too...


What makes a kid raised in a house by two loving samesex parents inferior to someone whos' raised by some alcoholic woman who beats them?
The few that those 2 loving people are/will be the one you beats them.

The fact that even if they are very goof parrents their kids thing being gay is the way to go when its not.

Its just fear, all it really is. Some is justified(the past, images).


Sometimes i wish this was just a chat room so we might end this once in for all. The delay make it annoying and some one is bound to lock it......

PJYelton
07-31-2003, 01:15 PM
I agree that it might be SLIGHTLY better for a kid to have "normal" parents as opposed to gay parents. But the difference is small enough that they should be allowed to, especially when you consider that day by day the world is growing more and more accepting of homosexuals.

Personally I'd rather live in rich household than a middle income household, but that doesn't mean those middle income people shouldn't be allowed to adopt.

mart_man00
07-31-2003, 01:15 PM
looks like i will have to get into this mud battle
They always find a way to suck you into this man. :D

I ve said i wouldnt get involved in alot of threads...

PJYelton
07-31-2003, 01:18 PM
>>Yeah, but you can stick in most americans name in there too...
<<
So you are admitting that you have no idea what you are talking about? Seriously, you shouldn't say that you know what most people think about gays without some kind of proof.

Clyde
07-31-2003, 01:20 PM
next thing you know they will want to adopt kids


and......



Yeah for normal school reasons.

The jocks bug them for not being a jock. There not nerdy enough for the nerd crowd. Their not a pothead so they cant go with the burn outs. This will never change.

I just think that its more than a coincidence that alot of these people go gay


Which people?



If you parrents are fellons(alcholic criminals or something), theres a good chance that envirnoment will effect them. It doesnt have to but theres always some kids that just give in. Im betting that alot of the gay kids just gave up.


What a load of bull crap, where is your evidence that people from a negative environement are more likely to become gay? Its utter drivel.



But i dont know any so I cant prove it, the numbers just keep making me think


What numbers?



hmm... dont you guys think this thread is revealing the sexuality of many people here... ok.. dont drag me into a war now.. i dont have the strength to argue with anyone now...


Right because anyone who doesn't think people should be discriminated against based on their sexuality must in fact be gay..... or maybe.... not.



Weather it true or not most people think of it as a bad thing. Just like alot of people still think of the dangerous gay image(mis-guided, potential dangerous, drug adict, imoral).


Most people are stupid and need to change their opinions.