PDA

View Full Version : supporting cprogramming.com

webmaster
07-30-2003, 10:43 PM
As some of you may know, Cprogramming.com supports itself through advertising revenue. It has recently been reported to me by Google Adwords ads that fraudulent click throughs are being reported for the site. It's my own policy not to click through on ads that I run without having an interest in those ads, and I wanted to let everyone else know that supporting the site by clicking randomly on ads is not only unhelpful (because the click throughs do not count), but it is downright dangerous as it can result in the termination of the account.

-KEN-
07-30-2003, 10:48 PM
I always thought that random clickthroughs helped? Is there a minimum amount of time that you have to stay on the site before it registers or something?

webmaster
07-30-2003, 10:53 PM
Advertising companies monitor click throughs and if a lot of them come from the same IP (or similar), then the site gets accused of generating fraudulent click throughs.

RoD
07-30-2003, 11:01 PM
There have been times when i have clicked a banner repeadedly in one day to visit the site to check something i may hvae misunderstood or to do something i had passed up on earlier, but i doubt enough to cause an issue.

I cant see them at the moment i have to adjust ZA to show them again.

TechWins
07-31-2003, 12:39 AM
Ooops sorry, I do it every now and then, but I'm only doing it b/c I thought I am helping the site out. Appearantly not.

Hammer
07-31-2003, 06:15 AM
So what constitutes a valid click then? I mean, if I like an ad, click on it, what do I have to do to make people realise that I'm not cheating the system?

[edit]If it gets too bad, I guess you can get the offending IP's, right?

webmaster
07-31-2003, 08:45 AM
The problem comes when someone starts clicking on numerous ads in short succession or the same ad several times within a short period of time.

FillYourBrain
07-31-2003, 08:45 AM
I thought I remember seeing posts about clicking the banners to support the site. Oh well.

We are doing ok financially aren't we?

webmaster
07-31-2003, 08:50 AM
We've never officially advocated clicking banners to support the site. (Doing so would be against the ToS of any banner company.) Some people at times have made posts suggesting to click on ads to support the site, however.

drdroid
07-31-2003, 09:31 AM
We've never officially advocated clicking banners to support the site. (Doing so would be against the ToS of any banner company.) Some people at times have made posts suggesting to click on ads to support the site, however.

ie.:
http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23794&highlight=click+on+the+ads

(not exactly sure that was it but, I was bored so I searched for some anyway)

So what constitutes a valid click then? I mean, if I like an ad, click on it, what do I have to do to make people realise that I'm not cheating the system?

Right, like how could you tell if I was actually interested in the ad and had to keep checking for info, instead of commiting fraud?