PDA

View Full Version : www.myname.com for free

money?
07-28-2003, 02:47 PM
I accidentaly saw andrianwx's website. It ended with "dk". And i was wondering if you pay anything to have that website. Do you? If you don't, can you give me the website that gave you account?

In the point now, do you (plural, speaking to everyone) know any websites that give you websites of type www.yourname.com or .net or whatever, for free? All the websites i have saw that let you have these websites want money. Do you know any which require no money?

mart_man00
07-28-2003, 03:34 PM
Pay.

Some places give you free subdomains(yourname.somesite.com) but theres normally alot of adds(with rules). Samething for the free sites.

There used to be a site that would give you a subdomain for free. You would give them your IP and they would redirct the traffic for you. I forget their name.

But web space isnt that bad, unless you have huge traffic or alot of files, just pay if your serious.

-KEN-
07-28-2003, 04:12 PM
DNS registration costs money no matter what. Unless a website is willing to lose tons of money, NOBODY WILL BUY YOU A DOMAN FOR FREE.

Just sayin'.

Hammer
07-28-2003, 05:06 PM
>>NOBODY WILL BUY YOU A DOMAN FOR FREE.<<
Hey Ken, nobody wanna buy you a man, eh? Shame that :D

::runs away::

-KEN-
07-28-2003, 05:14 PM
Why I oughta.....GET BACK HERE YOU!!! ::chases after hammer::

golfinguy4
07-28-2003, 07:30 PM
.tk's are free AFAIK. But, you have to have a certain amount of traffic to keep it.

frenchfry164
07-28-2003, 08:04 PM
mart_man:
www.dyndns.org
After I get cable I'm hosting mine through dyndns. I'll probably get an old box running linux to do it with.

sean
07-28-2003, 09:42 PM
You can get the aforementioned *.tk domains at [Clicky Here] (http://www.dot.tk), and they require 1 hit per day. You can do that yourself, and if you go on vacation, post a thread here and I'll sure someone will just type in your domain once a day to keep you up.

unanimous
07-28-2003, 10:15 PM
NameZero (http://www.namezero.com) used to give you a domain name in exchang for a frame on your page with an ad in it, not sure if they still do but it wouldn't hurt to check. You could make subdomains and have mail accounts with your domain too.

money?
07-29-2003, 01:27 AM
Yeah, Namezero used to give you yourname.com bt only for one year or something, and then you were obliged to pay to keep your account.

Anyway, thanks for the answers. I knew it was very hard or even impossible to have such accounts, but when i saw andrianwx's website i thought he might not have to pay...

adrianxw
07-29-2003, 04:27 AM
It costs me 60 Kroner each, about $10 to hold each of my .dk domain names. I think part of that covers the DNS charge, another goes to the Danish domain authority.

To get a .dk domain, you have to have a Danish house or office address.

money?
07-29-2003, 08:07 AM
andrianwx,
Thanks for the reply.

I think i'll follow sean_mackrory's suggestion.

sean
07-29-2003, 03:22 PM
Adrian's from Denmark! I've never noiced that before. Send me a pic of some Kroner - I heard they look really cool.

SourceCode
07-30-2003, 12:17 PM
Yes www.dyndns.org is very good, it also has a port redirect service incase you actually want to run your own webserver and your isp blocks 80. However their names kind of suck, for better names check out www.dot.tk Also on that site there are a few programs that you can use to update your ip, incase it's dynamic.

What I did was I used dyndns for the port redirect, then used their name service and got a new name. And then finally I got a .tk so it would look better. It's all free too. In the end though, I had nothing to put on my website so I took it down heh.

Zewu
07-30-2003, 12:34 PM
This is so ignorant, I think.

adrianxw
07-30-2003, 12:47 PM
>>> This is so ignorant, I think.

What is, I don't understand to whom or what your comment is targetting?

money?
07-30-2003, 01:09 PM
Ok..........but what "tk" means?

Govtcheez
07-30-2003, 01:16 PM
tk = tokelau, the tiny little Pacific island that hands out those domains.

confuted
07-30-2003, 03:01 PM
My response to this:

I've been trying to do this for months (http://confuted.webhop.org/)

Hosted locally. No guarantees about uptime, of course. Not that you'll be visiting that site more than once in it's current state.

edit: not even sure if this can be done, but is there anyone out there that feels like programming something in CGI to close that popup?

sean
07-30-2003, 04:23 PM
It's probably possible, but a lot of pop ups are JavaScript, so those wouldn't work, and for the others the server would have something to override that, otherwise all the CGI hosts would be forcing pop-ups for nothing!

Zewu
07-31-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by adrianxw
>>> This is so ignorant, I think.

What is, I don't understand to whom or what your comment is targetting?
Ok, although it was an assumption, I felt pretty sure of that money? wasn't aware of that .dk is the Danish domain, which I consider ignorant.

mart_man00
07-31-2003, 04:13 PM
I felt pretty sure of that money? wasn't aware of that .dk is the Danish domain, which I consider ignorant.
so were supposed to memorize every domain? you could of just pointed that out nicely.

Govtcheez
07-31-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by mart_man00
so were supposed to memorize every domain? you could of just pointed that out nicely. This hurts, but....

I agree with martman

gcn_zelda
07-31-2003, 08:07 PM
www.freewebs.com
no ads, free

www.dot.tk
yourname.tk domains

sean
08-01-2003, 09:50 AM
Freewbs do have ads. They require that you insert a little macro that pushes an ad on to the page. I'm using them as my temporary host until I can get someone to do CGI or PHP or something. I hide the ad quite well. Go to mackrory.com, and notice how if you make a table to ft 100% of the screen, unless you scroll down, the ad isn't noticed. And if you make it look like the end of your page is already there (notice the (C) notice), it also helps. But they're not a bad host.

LogicError
08-06-2003, 04:37 AM
No free domains? You wish! I got mine for free from a friend of mine, he owns a hosting company :p

Brian
08-06-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by blackrat364
My response to this:

I've been trying to do this for months (http://confuted.webhop.org/)

Hosted locally. No guarantees about uptime, of course. Not that you'll be visiting that site more than once in it's current state.

edit: not even sure if this can be done, but is there anyone out there that feels like programming something in CGI to close that popup?

register for free with www.dyndns.org

get your own free redirection to your ip address (works for any layer below IP, because all the dns does is point to your IP, so you could host SSH and everything)

you can get short ones like mine arl.ath.cx (i only use it occasionally)

I think you have to renew every month or it dies though.

p.s. Use win32 apache. Tinyweb sucks.

LogicError
08-08-2003, 01:01 PM
No-IP (http://www.no-ip.org/) do that stuff for free too.. and you have a wide range of subdomains to choose from

unanimous
08-08-2003, 04:52 PM
Hey LogicError, how about you hook some board members up with free domains? We'll be your best friends. :D

*gets on hands and knees to beg like a 2yr old*

Please, please, pretty please..

*redeems self respect*

RoD
08-08-2003, 04:55 PM
ive been wanting

www.xtreme$$$$.com for a while

the filter is gonna remove the s-word prolly.

Quantrizi
08-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by RoD
ive been wanting

www.xtreme$$$$.com for a while

the filter is gonna remove the s-word prolly.
There's some hosting sites that register you a name for free (I think www.affinityhosting.net does that...not sure though).

RoD
08-08-2003, 06:07 PM
yea but id have to pay for hosting.

Quantrizi
08-08-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by RoD
yea but id have to pay for hosting.
No satisfying us is there...(j/p).

www.brinkster.com has good ASP service (30 megs, no ads, xml support). www.shorturl.com is really good for a short url (check out my poetry site in my sig). those to together IMO are grand.

www.lycos.co.uk has php & mysql support (only way 2 block ads imho is to use phpBB for a forum).

RoD
08-08-2003, 06:22 PM
eh, eventually i will get a good host and my .com so i can use php-nuke

zahid
08-09-2003, 02:11 AM
Once there was a time, when even Network soulutions had an offer to book domain (and use) in advance for free.
Anyway, for personal, permanent, serious use buy one. No alternative. Try for best price. Godaddy.com (http://godaddy.com) is giving you best price in my knowledge.

codingmaster
08-09-2003, 02:35 AM
I use the dyndns service, it's great....

my OpenBSD server is accessible from everywhere..... lol

there're no problems.....

to run different services....

like ssh, ftp, http(s), cvs, mysql

for free website hosting, I use www.host.sk

NO ADS
50 MB
FTP
SSH
MySQL
MAIL (POP3, IMAP, SMTP)
COSTS: FREE

DarkViper
08-09-2003, 11:56 AM
i have used alot of free stuff.

but if you want the combo i had:

www.geocities.com for the 5MB uploads
www.dot.tk for the short name (liek www.yourname.tk for free)

but hey, i got my www.blackjaguar-studios.com for free! w00t! i get unlimited webspace, i get unlimited badwidth, no ads, unlimited e-mails and MySQL databases, and the works!

thing is, we got someone else to host us for doing work for him (currently still am)

Xterria
08-09-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by SourceCode
Yes www.dyndns.org is very good, it also has a port redirect service incase you actually want to run your own webserver and your isp blocks 80. However their names kind of suck, for better names check out www.dot.tk Also on that site there are a few programs that you can use to update your ip, incase it's dynamic.

What I did was I used dyndns for the port redirect, then used their name service and got a new name. And then finally I got a .tk so it would look better. It's all free too. In the end though, I had nothing to put on my website so I took it down heh.

what? I can't find port redirection anywhere on dyndns.org. It makes me so mad that my isp takes up port 80--my sites always al;sksfd;ljk.ath.cx:8000. where did you see the port redirection?

confuted
08-09-2003, 10:21 PM
It's under webhop XTerria