PDA

View Full Version : how do u know when 2 stop spending time on one code?

Commander
07-23-2003, 07:50 PM
expanding on the title, how do u know when 2 stop spending time on a code that is not working? or how long does it take 4 u 2 'give up'.

it just took me 7 hours of straight worthless coding (+ the other countless hours b4) to realize it was time to stop and be happy with what i have.

stupid java :mad: this just refreshed my memories about why i hated java in the first place. :/

Govtcheez
07-23-2003, 07:56 PM
Yeah. It's the language's fault you couldn't get it right.

And learn how to speak English. Reading your post is like pulling teeth.

Xei
07-24-2003, 03:23 AM
Don't worry about it, sometimes learning new things can be quite time-consuming. I'm sure that we've all ended up in our own coded loop-holes before.

-KEN-
07-24-2003, 06:25 AM
b4 u c teh porelmb epwase eerwleksdmw f;ldwm lea. Java si n0t a herd lnugage ot ewdjasle 283 sxcms goo goo gajoob? But dont wrry bcuz ur giogn ot leran ,sjdjeqk dmfaskdjqw kskw la sjd acm,w kdjwwmw. SAikdajdqm ssjwl ksjksd.

do u c?

ammar
07-24-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Commander
how do u know when 2 stop spending time on a code that is not working?

If it was an assignment, time to stop is it's due date!

hk_mp5kpdw
07-24-2003, 07:26 AM
b4 u c teh porelmb epwase eerwleksdmw f;ldwm lea. Java si n0t a herd lnugage ot ewdjasle 283 sxcms goo goo gajoob? But dont wrry bcuz ur giogn ot leran ,sjdjeqk dmfaskdjqw kskw la sjd acm,w kdjwwmw. SAikdajdqm ssjwl ksjksd.

do u c?
Ouch ouch... my eyes hurt! I can understand the ending and the first few words but I gave up on trying to read the rest of it.

VirtualAce
07-24-2003, 07:27 AM
Yeah. It's the language's fault you couldn't get it right.

:D

do u c?

:D

(Where is :FRlol: when you need him?)

Govtcheez
07-24-2003, 08:38 AM
TERRIST!

FillYourBrain
07-24-2003, 08:41 AM
you should work for the CIA

EvBladeRunnervE
07-24-2003, 08:56 AM
Well, lets get back on topic guys. I personally think that if you are having trouble with code, you shouldnt stop till you figure it out. If you want, put it on back burner for a while, and try to think about and learn the stuff you need to figure out a problem.

VirtualAce
07-24-2003, 09:03 AM
Well, lets get back on topic guys....

Nah...Staying off topic has been far too interesting to stop now.

:cool:

Shogun
07-24-2003, 09:16 AM
I never give up on any code, sometimes I redo it from scratch but I never give up on it. And lets get back off topic now :D

-KEN-
07-24-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Salem
Clearly, these are the last incoherent words of the recently deceased hussein brothers. No doubt more careful analysis of the rest of the message will reveal the last hiding place of the ace-of-spades himself :D

Ooh! Ooh! I get to call Salem on a spelling error!

ygfperson
07-24-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by -KEN-
Ooh! Ooh! I get to call Salem on a spelling error!
Nope, that's saddam's error. English isn't his first language, remember...

codegirl
07-25-2003, 09:27 AM
the length of time I work before I give up keeps increasing each year... I used to think 3 or 4 non-productive hours on an assignment was ridiculous, but here at work I just scrapped 2 weeks worth of code to go back to an earlier version. (Luckily, after a few changes the earlier version worked great!)

ZakkWylde969
07-25-2003, 10:16 AM
What the hell were you doing coding for 7 hours in the first place straight?

codegirl
07-25-2003, 11:10 AM
Hey, there's nothing wrong with 7 hours of coding! Last year there were days where I put in 8 or more hours on my senior project, with the only breaks being for food and going to class... besides the deadlines, once I got started coding, I couldn't stop til I got the function or module to work! :D

So maybe I'm just a geek....

ZakkWylde969
07-25-2003, 11:31 AM
Thats an entire day though! if you're rushing school maybe thats an acceptable answer. But 7 hours.... Thats a long damn time!

FillYourBrain
07-25-2003, 11:34 AM
I do about 8 straight hours of coding 5 days a week. What's so strange about that?:eek:

Xei
07-25-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by ZakkWylde969
Thats an entire day though! if you're rushing school maybe thats an acceptable answer. But 7 hours.... Thats a long damn time!

For real-world projects, professionals spend a lot more time than a full day coding.

ZakkWylde969
07-25-2003, 12:00 PM
It's different if you're doing it for a job other than a hobby though.

codegirl
07-25-2003, 12:36 PM

Hey, when you're taking 14 hrs with half of them being upper-level CS classes, and have to log at least 20 hrs/week on senior project, and trying to get A's in all your classes... well you just can't get around it. Believe me, any spare time I have is NOT spent coding! :)

At least during the summer I *only* work 40 hrs/week, and actually have evenings and weekends free...

As for getting a life... maybe when I get out of school :D Besides, if we were all extroverts, who would have the patience to sit in front of a computer all day and write the programs the rest of the world uses every day?

FillYourBrain
07-25-2003, 12:56 PM
It's different if you're doing it for a job other than a hobby though. hmmm... I think I remember saying something like this a while back..... eh whatever.

Terrance
07-25-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Commander
expanding on the title, how do u know when 2 stop spending time on a code that is not working? or how long does it take 4 u 2 'give up'.

it just took me 7 hours of straight worthless coding (+ the other countless hours b4) to realize it was time to stop and be happy with what i have.

stupid java :mad: this just refreshed my memories about why i hated java in the first place. :/

If it's compiler errors, or you can't get the code to run- then don't quit until you can get it to compile and run.

If it's not working because there's too many bugs, then chances are you should start over(that's if you've already put a good amount of time and effort into actually debugging the program), or quit if you're not concerned with finishing the program.

Java is much easier to debug than c++, so you shouldn't complain that it's the languages fault.

Xei
07-26-2003, 02:38 AM
It's different if you're doing it for a job other than a hobby though.

Currently I only do it as a hobby. I am currently creating my own sockets library to handle stream connections online, and hope to make it IPv6 compatible under MS specification. I've logged about 6 to 9 hours on memory managment & SEH (Structured Exception Handling) alone. To me, there is nothing unusual about spending great sums of time coding on one thing.

ygfperson
07-26-2003, 09:54 AM
Usually if I spend long periods of time coding, the result needs to be debugged endlessly for about that same length of time. It's much easier to just do it in small increments.