PDA

View Full Version : Colleges

Axpen
07-20-2003, 07:41 PM
Hey how's everyone doing, this's Alex for yaw that don't know me,
but anyways I was wondering about college, i'm in "about" 10/11 grade and am considering what college to go to, and of corse trying to straighten out my horribly mangled grades to get into a good college! I need a college that can teach beginner and advanced (mainly advanced) C++ and teach up to calculus IV and physics IV, and mainly teach begginer and advanced Assembly for x86 and ZiLOG (ie Z80) CPU's. Does anyone know what I should do to get into these type of colleges, So far MIT and OXFORD are the only ones I here are known for computers..., however i'd really rather not go to a VoTech if at all possible, so any advice will be much appriciated, thanks!
--Alex

Zach L.
07-20-2003, 07:49 PM
Look at Carnegie Mellon University (www.cmu.edu). They have a really good CS department.

golfinguy4
07-20-2003, 08:19 PM
MIT is very difficult to get into. CMU has a very well known CS department that is very good. It is also easier to get into than MIT. I'd strongly recommend CMU if you are considering CS.

ZakkWylde969
07-20-2003, 08:29 PM
I'm planning on going to GA Tech. I hear it's one of the better schools in the South East for computers and tech.

Lynux-Penguin
07-20-2003, 08:36 PM
UC Berekeley has a good CS department, but Im going to UCI.
After all UCB is where BSD came from.

-LC

Dalren
07-20-2003, 11:39 PM
It depends on if you have money or not. If you have plenty of money then CMU is a great option, but I do mean plenty of money it costs about as much as Harvard. Other good (albeit expensive) options include Harvey Mudd, Rose Hulman (rated #1 for undergradute only engineering schools), Case Western.

If you don't have $100k - $200k for college then you want to take a look at state schools such as Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, etc. It also depends on the state you live in, what schools are there what type of tution they charge for in-state students. UC berkely is a great school but if you don't live in Cali the odds of getting in are slim and its going to be expensive.

Don't worry about grades if your only entering 11th grade, you got time to pull that around. I had a 3.1 going into my junior year, got a 3.5 junior year, and a 4.0 senior year, combine that with 4 AP classes, and 1500 sat scores, and I was able to get into a top #30 school.

Oh yeah, and unless you have a 4.0 right now, your not getting into MIT unless of course you get every question on the sats correct, 4 times in a row. And Im only half joking its that competitive to get into MIT

Govtcheez
07-21-2003, 06:45 AM
If you have "mangled grades", MIT and Oxford won't touch you with a 10 foot pole.

Most CS programs will give at least most of what you have, but what the hell are you basing your demands on? Physics IV, if the university has anything like that at all, will be totally different between different universities.

FillYourBrain
07-21-2003, 07:55 AM
I went to the University of Central Florida, a very basic, state university that many refer to as the "glorified community college". The computer science program is however considered to be very good. I'm not sure I saw it that way when I was there. They seemed dated.

ZakkWylde969
07-21-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Dalren
It depends on if you have money or not. If you have plenty of money then CMU is a great option, but I do mean plenty of money it costs about as much as Harvard. Other good (albeit expensive) options include Harvey Mudd, Rose Hulman (rated #1 for undergradute only engineering schools), Case Western.

If you don't have $100k - $200k for college then you want to take a look at state schools such as Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, etc. It also depends on the state you live in, what schools are there what type of tution they charge for in-state students. UC berkely is a great school but if you don't live in Cali the odds of getting in are slim and its going to be expensive.

Don't worry about grades if your only entering 11th grade, you got time to pull that around. I had a 3.1 going into my junior year, got a 3.5 junior year, and a 4.0 senior year, combine that with 4 AP classes, and 1500 sat scores, and I was able to get into a top #30 school.

Oh yeah, and unless you have a 4.0 right now, your not getting into MIT unless of course you get every question on the sats correct, 4 times in a row. And Im only half joking its that competitive to get into MIT

100k heh. I'm glad that GA offers the Hope scholarship where if you make all A's and B's through high school they will pay to get you through college as long as you continue to make A's and B's. Thats going to be a make it or break it thing for me since I can't afford it. I did some homeschooling this year for 9th grade and got allot of extra courses in Math and science that way next year if I decide to hit a regular public school I can take some ap courses that year since last year (9th) I took allot 10th grade courses too.

Hmm.. Wonder if anyone bothered reading that?

Scourfish
07-21-2003, 05:09 PM
Come to the University of (Cr)Akron. It's a pretty good engineering school, even though I'm majoring in English.

And don't get your hopes up too high about college. They're all pretty good. Besides, after the first semester, you'll quickly find yourself getting stoned and watching anime/playing guitar most of the time,while making taco bell/beer runs at 3 am.

Ben_Robotics
07-21-2003, 09:38 PM
defenitily look into cmu; very nice robotics school as well that I am hoping to get in for my masters. also, Arizona State University also has a good compsci department which I am currently enrolled in.

cheers,
Ben

codegirl
07-22-2003, 10:26 AM
I've heard Purdue has a good program, I know they're a good engineering school at least....

But don't stress out too much about getting into THE best college -- there's a lot of colleges that have good programs, and if you're really concerned about getting an edge then you can go on and get your masters. While choosing a good school and a major are important decisions, your future is not set in stone after you make those decisions! Besides, your college GPA and any jobs or internships also are important factors in getting a good job or accepted to grad school, not just what school you go to.

Good luck on your college search!

Ben_Robotics
07-22-2003, 06:10 PM
yes, I completely agree with Codegirl! Remember, as I have always said, companies are looking for experience and not necessarly which college you are coming from, although that does go under considerations somewhat.

try to get as much coding as possible, and try to get into a school with a good coop program. Then get the highest possible marks, get into coop, get your experience and then the degree, and you are set.

of course, dont be suprised if you find yourself having difficulties finding jobs out there. the Computer industry is all about you being creative!

best of luck!
Cheers,
Ben

Axpen
07-26-2003, 02:07 AM
Thanks alot for all your replies, I just wanted some opinions on what kind of colleges "stuck out" with programmers, and I figured here'd be the place to ask it :cool:. So I think i'll have a look at some of those suggestions' online sites, I really REALLY want to try my damnedest to get into Squaresoft, Squaresoft, to me, has always been one of the Legendary 3; Squaresoft, Tri-Ace, & definitally Game Arts (Lunar's Creators).
So I'll see what colleges teach ALOT of C++,

Originally posted by Govtcheez
Most CS programs will give at least most of what you have, but what the hell are you basing your demands on? Physics IV, if the university has anything like that at all, will be totally different between different universities.
& some form of physics and advanced science that can be applied into video games for advanced collision effects and other numerous things.

Again thanks alot for all the suggestions
--Alex

alpha
07-28-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Axpen

So I'll see what colleges teach ALOT of C++,

Again thanks alot for all the suggestions
--Alex You'll find that most schools will teach programming concepts vs. concentrating on the language. Sure, you'll get in depth with the language, but without the concentration on concept, it wouldn't matter what language(s) you know the syntax of.

Anyways, best of luck!

frenchfry164
07-29-2003, 09:18 PM
I'm thinking of going to Tennessee Technological University. I used to want to go to University of Tennessee, but I've heard some bad things about most of the schools, and it seems too big for me. I'm into big cities and junk, but when it comes to education, you need it to be as personal as you can.

I have a long time to go yet though, I start High School next week as a Freshman. I wanted to take my SAT this summer, but my stupid parents never took me to take the tests, so it'll be next summer I guess, unless I can find some time during the school year to take it. Hopefully I can keep my GPA good, last year I had a 3.8.