PDA

View Full Version : The French

Pages : [1] 2 3

confuted
07-20-2003, 05:19 PM
They haven't ceased to amaze me with their stupidity since I took history.

Here they go again (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=7&u=/ap/20030718/ap_on_fe_st/france_out_with__e_mail_)

gcn_zelda
07-20-2003, 05:50 PM
I agree. American History-French Revolution :P

Unregd
07-20-2003, 06:09 PM
The French government does this all the time with their l'Academie française and all. Before this, there were other words to be used for e-mail. It doesn't matter too much; the ordinary French person rarely cares about diluting the purity of the French language with English words and such. This only applies to official government stuff. Language is one area where certain nationalistically minded French people tend to become slightly fascistic.

This quirk is perfectly pardonable (the German and Spanish languages have similar purity institutions, by the way) because the French had a lot of guts to stand up to President Bush's selfish act of imperialism in the United Nations Security Council, and they knew ahead of time Bush would penalize them for it. We can only hope France will defend its principles more vigorously when President Bush makes his next assault against international law.

confuted
07-20-2003, 06:11 PM
Oh God. Unregd just tried to turn this into Bush-bash 3432.

Someone close this before the insanity starts.

gcn_zelda
07-20-2003, 06:11 PM
Unregd. Why don't you register?

Unregd
07-20-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by gcn_zelda
Unregd. Why don't you register?

Because then I wouldn't be Unreg[istere]d.

And I did not intend my previous post as "Bush-bash 3432." I am merely stating the shortcoming of the current administration in regards to diplomacy and international law. I believe you were implying that their act of defiance in the Security Council was as stupid as this. I would have to disagree with every fiber of my body.

The French have contributed throughout history. France has produced innumerable writers, artists, and philosophers. More recently, France has worked to build an international system of cooperation that the Bush administration has unilaterally backed the United States out of.

Commander
07-20-2003, 06:35 PM
i don;t c the big deal.....it the same as calling french fries "freedom fries"....

gcn_zelda
07-20-2003, 06:35 PM
The French has been our ally for a long time, but you have to admit, they're pretty dumb...

confuted
07-20-2003, 06:51 PM
Yup, the French have been AWESOME throughout history.

30 Year's War.
Franco-Prussian War
French Revolution (they lost against themselves)
World War I
World War II
to list a few

You could say that there was Napoleon, but he was from Corsica, and they still managed to lose. I think we can also blame those retarded beret things on the French.

I wasn't referring to the Security Counsel. I was referring to what I just said - they suck at fighting.

gcn_zelda
07-20-2003, 06:56 PM
they even suck at fighting themselves. They should all chuck escargot at the opponents. That'd scare 'em off :P

confuted
07-20-2003, 06:58 PM
I'm all for a reincarnation of Robespierre. It would do their nation good.

Zach L.
07-20-2003, 07:08 PM
Oh come on... The US has done plenty of things that are on the order of "just plain stupid"... petty little laws like this. No one really cares about them.

gcn_zelda
07-20-2003, 07:10 PM
yup. Every country has. Especially the French, though :P

Zach L.
07-20-2003, 07:20 PM
:rolleyes:

Commander
07-20-2003, 07:32 PM
what does everybody got against the french????? i don;t c anything wrong with them.

Zach L.
07-20-2003, 07:37 PM
Je ne sais pas. Tout le monde est fou.

edit: stupid typo :rolleyes:

gcn_zelda
07-20-2003, 07:41 PM
Gee, he said pass. Toots let Mongo eat you. :P

maes
07-21-2003, 01:16 PM
I can understand the french. They want to protect their language. But they should have done it a long time ago. now the word email is too widly used.

There are alot of words comming from the english language and personaly I think their should be a translation for most of the words.
I speak dutch, and I'm proud of it. That's why I want to keep the language "pure". I'm not saying that I don't use the word email, in fact, I (and I asume everyone who speaks dutch) will prefer the word email above "elektronische post". But if there was a better alternitive (look at the length of words between english and dutch) and it was introduced at the same time as the word email, I think I would use the dutch word.
I think that's the same with the french, they want to keep the language pure. But it is too late for the word email, they should have done it a while ago.

Maintenant I ga écrire a courriel........... Oh wait, that's not right :rolleyes:

anyway my 2€ cent

edit:
I don't mean to disrespect anyone, but I have to say this:
the americans are very patriotic about the flag and their country, you can't say a bad word about either of them without getting flamed but when the french try to protect their language, they are called stupid and dumb. ;)

FillYourBrain
07-21-2003, 01:29 PM
I don't know the facts but I think the comparison there isn't right.

people not liking when you are saying bad things about flag and country

vs

country banning something from another country.

I think the two are pretty different maes. American's don't typically ban outside thought, much as you might think. When the french decide to ban a word's use it's not quite protecting themselves against an aggressive foreigner. It's more like being anti- outside world.

edit:
besides, isn't it the English who they have a problem with in this case? let's leave americans alone for a day shall we?

maes
07-21-2003, 01:43 PM
As I see it, they aren't doing it to ban something from the states/english, they are doing it to protect their language. they are being patriotic about their language, they want to preserve it.

>>let's leave americans alone for a day shall
Only said it because the persons who called the french stupid and dumb are from the states (if they were from an other country, I wouldn't have said)

And I think anyone who's speaking a minority language in the world would agree with me (about the french choosing a french word for email).

Zach L.
07-21-2003, 02:08 PM
I agree their being a bit ridiculous... Some legislators probably had just a bit too much time on their hands. Happens everywhere... thats the problem when elected officials become a little too efficient for their own good. ;)

ammar
07-21-2003, 03:02 PM
I agree with Maes...

And using a Frech word in Frances official websites, papers, etc... is totally right, French people can use the word they like, but officials should use a french word...

You shouldn't be calling them dumb for that!

nickname_changed
07-22-2003, 06:28 AM
Im from australia and I only speak english, but I agree with ammar and the rest of them. If I had a language that sounded as good as french, I'd want to preserve it too.

And I dont see how the flag comparrison was so irrelivant. I thought of protecting their language as a sense of national pride, not the fact they don't like english words :P

Govtcheez
07-22-2003, 06:40 AM
If you guys read the article, it's only changing in government things. It's no different from the US's stupid freedom fries thing. In fact, I'd say it's better; at least they're not intentionally singling out another country.

FillYourBrain
07-22-2003, 06:44 AM
no different eh? "Freedom fries" was a single restaraunt. Not a government thing.

it was blown WAAYYYY out of proportion.

Govtcheez
07-22-2003, 06:45 AM
It was the official cafeteria of the House, IIRC.

FillYourBrain
07-22-2003, 06:47 AM
all govt. docs vs a restaraunt manager's gimmic decision. hmmmmm

interesting

FillYourBrain
07-22-2003, 06:54 AM
before anyone goes and pulls out their news stories about "freedom fries" I should point out that we're not talking about a govt legislated mandate with freedom fries. the two don't relate at all. You could point out far worse decisions from a single business owner in any given country.

Govtcheez
07-22-2003, 07:17 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/11/sprj.irq.fries/

It wasn't a government mandate, but it was spearheaded by 2 Congressmen. I'm just saying everyone's stupid.

FillYourBrain
07-22-2003, 07:37 AM
I don't dispute the general stupidity of the human race. In fact that speaks greatly toward my following point.

I see a tendency on this board to disregard the criticism of most other countries when the US can not escape it over something so insignificant. And I do recognize the global scope of this board which is why I usually don't get into these things anymore. But I do need to point it out once in a while when it is so blatant.

Yes, everyone's stupid. Freedom Fries are stupid. But the comparison wasn't valid. A nation banned an outside word. An English word. Simply because it was an english word. The US did no such thing.

Govtcheez
07-22-2003, 07:39 AM
Not because it was english. Because it wasn't French. They want to preserve their language, they're welcome to, in my eyes.

FillYourBrain
07-22-2003, 07:43 AM
fair enough. I just get defensive when people lump my entire country in with a business owner who is somewhere inside my country. It's really easy to make a country look stupid simply by picking up one of their own newspapers and pointing out the stupidity of it citizens.

you still da man GC.

Govtcheez
07-22-2003, 07:45 AM
No, no, no - YOU da man, fyb.

maes
07-22-2003, 07:58 AM
One thing about the french fries, freedom fries:
they are BOTH wrong, they should be called belgium fries dammit :D we're the french fries country :D

Govtcheez
07-22-2003, 08:03 AM
I've got no problem with France preserving their heritage, but you damn Belgish people can go back to Belgiumville, or wherever the hell you're from.

FillYourBrain
07-22-2003, 08:06 AM
I thought they did waffles.

Zach L.
07-22-2003, 08:18 AM
And chocolate.

maes
07-22-2003, 10:23 AM
We got all sorts of stuff waffles, beer, belgium fries, choclate, manneke pis
small country great people :D

>> but you damn Belgish people can go back to Belgiumville, or wherever the hell you're from
STFU GC :p
hell is the right word, it so damn hot here, my roomtemp. doesn't drop under 30°C (yeah that's right, we use Celsius :p )

Zach L.
07-22-2003, 10:36 AM
30C?! What do you mean that was hot? Last week I would've killed for a nice cool temperature like that. :)

maes
07-22-2003, 10:55 AM
but you don't live in rainy belgium ;) I'm not used to those tempratures, I melt :D

adrianxw
07-22-2003, 11:04 AM
I wonder if they (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3084677.stm) need to be in French.

Is this legal I wonder - sounds like a state subsidy...

Govtcheez
07-22-2003, 11:10 AM
Sounds nice, but I wonder if it'd really help. What if the games said bad things about France? Would they still be published. I didn't know Ubi Soft and Infogrames were Freedomese, though.

ZakkWylde969
07-22-2003, 11:19 AM
I hate the entire french culture. I have visited Frace once before and visited Pays de la Loire for a week with the occasional visit into Paris and it just blew.

Govtcheez
07-22-2003, 11:21 AM
Well, that's nice.

ZakkWylde969
07-22-2003, 11:22 AM
yup.

Govtcheez
07-22-2003, 11:50 AM
More news from France:

Top part of Eiffel Tower on fire, according to wire services. CNN working to confirm. Details to come.

Zach L.
07-22-2003, 12:06 PM
Yep, BBC News is saying the same thing.

Govtcheez
07-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Sounds like it's been put out. July 22nd NEVER FORGET!

ZakkWylde969
07-22-2003, 12:14 PM
Terrorism or accident or weather?

Govtcheez
07-22-2003, 12:18 PM
Sounds like the fire started as an accident in an electrical closet or something.