PDA

View Full Version : internet slang

Pages : [1] 2

ZakkWylde969
07-13-2003, 06:21 PM
Internet slang is really annoying. I can barely keep up with all the words. What does IMO mean by the way?

Oh and rofl is the most annoying. You aren't even laughing most of the time..

o0obruceleeo0o
07-13-2003, 06:22 PM
IMO - In My Opinion
IMHO - In My Humble(or Honest) Opinion

ZakkWylde969
07-13-2003, 06:25 PM
That word needs to be killed. Learn proper grammar people!

confuted
07-13-2003, 06:26 PM
ROFLMAO

IMHO, This is teh funnyest thread ne where. LMAO! ASL? uhoh gtg cya l8r!!!!!!1 LYLAB!

(sic)

-KEN-
07-13-2003, 06:33 PM
"IMHO" is probably one of the only acceptable shorthands I'll ever use. "In my humble opinion" is quite a lot to type versus 4 letters.

lol rofl am I rite?

moonwalker
07-13-2003, 07:00 PM
here's one, my favourite :
KYHDSTFU

Keep Your Head Down and Shut The F Up :)

XSquared
07-13-2003, 07:21 PM
I R TEH PWN!!! J0 R TEH N00BLARZ!!!!

God I hate 'leet-speak'...

gcn_zelda
07-13-2003, 08:03 PM
ya, wll I m teh 13373$7 n00|3 h3r3! i pwn al u hax0r$!!!

Eibro
07-13-2003, 08:17 PM
WYSIWYG
I can't believe that's actually an acronym.

Zach L.
07-13-2003, 08:35 PM
RTFM is quite handy on occasion.

> ya, wll I m teh 13373$7 n00|3 h3r3! i pwn al u hax0r$!!!

Hmm... Looks like what happens when my cat walks across my keyboard. ;)

SourceCode
07-13-2003, 09:03 PM
I don't mind most of it, but stuff like

lolz
hehez
roflz
random question here???????

are pretty annoying heh.

Cheeze-It
07-13-2003, 09:09 PM
I've never used "LOL." I'm more of the "hehehe" type person.

ZakkWylde969
07-13-2003, 09:13 PM
I find heheh is pretty annoying although I tend to do it.

RoD
07-13-2003, 10:28 PM
I know most of them, but what does LYLAB mean? As i have seen it used i would take it in context that the first two letters are "love you" or some variation thereof

Cheeze-It
07-13-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by RoD
I know most of them, but what does LYLAB mean? As i have seen it used i would take it in context that the first two letters are "love you" or some variation thereof

Love you like a baby?
Love you like a brother?
Love you like a boy?
Love your little (buttocks), (female canine animal)

codingmaster
07-13-2003, 11:59 PM
I like l331 :P

BMJ
07-14-2003, 12:14 AM
ogmlolrotlmaoimho

ohgymod laffing oot loud rollin on deh floor lafin ma arse off - in my humble opinion

adrianxw
07-14-2003, 01:47 AM
I have been known to use ISTR, (I seem to recall), and BTW, (by the way). RTFM and STFW are usually appropriate.

joshdick
07-14-2003, 02:17 AM
I think that internet shorthand is well suited for instant messaging, but completely unnecessary for a forum like the C Board. Surely, one can take the extra few seconds to type full, correct sentences as a sign of respect to their fellow programmers. I get very disgusted at posts that are nearly unintelligible. I usually don't say anything, because English may not be the poster's native tongue. But man oh man, the rest of y'all have no excuse. Yeah, I'm more than a little anal and neurotic about some things.

As for "hahaha" vs. lol, I stand firmly with "hahaha" unless I am literally laughing out loud. Hey, I'll tell ya what, the day I am literally rolling on the floor laughing will be the day I begin to use that farking acronym. IM(H)O is tolerable to me.

adrianxw
07-14-2003, 02:24 AM
>>> IM(H)O is tolerable to me.

Why?

Govtcheez
07-14-2003, 06:05 AM
> that farking acronym

That's another one. "Fark" is a pretty lame excuse for actually swearing. It's a crappy website with 7th-rate photoshops, not a way to censor things.

ammar
07-14-2003, 06:06 AM
Internet slang is sometimes good to save time, IMO, BTW, are acceptable to me( since they are very common ).

-KEN-
07-14-2003, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by adrianxw
>>> IM(H)O is tolerable to me.

Why?

For the same reason you'd use ISTR?

Ohhh, that reminds me. IIRC. I use that all the time. "If I Recall Correctly"

Govtcheez
07-14-2003, 06:19 AM
Zakk, for someone who professes to hate internet slang, you sure use "owns" a lot in the workout music thread.

codingmaster
07-14-2003, 06:41 AM
I like to say: "I gonna use my LART"

it's funny, because the people often don't know, what a LART is....

heh

LART
lart - Luser Attitude Readjustment Tool - use a lart to adjust lusers' attitudes

lart adjusts the attitudes of those pesky, clueless people who rely upon their admins for everything from picking their mice off of the floor to turning on their monitors; namely, the luser(8). Running lart with the appropriate arguments will cause the specified luser to run away screaming in agony. Alternatively, you can make the luser buy you a beer, after killing all of their processes.

ZakkWylde969
07-14-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
Zakk, for someone who professes to hate internet slang, you sure use "owns" a lot in the workout music thread.

Owns is a real word. I don't know what language you are speaking. Just take a look at the link.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=owns

As you can see it means allot of different things also meaning to rule.

Govtcheez
07-14-2003, 10:41 AM
Duurrr, really? That's a real word?

No kidding, but the way you used it has evolved on the Internet; just because it's a legit word doesn't make it any less Internet-speak. Which definition from that site fits that usage?

ZakkWylde969
07-14-2003, 10:58 AM
You brought up a totally different topic in that. Owns is a real word with a real meaning. You won't find LOL or KEWL or something in Websters. You will find owns in the dictionary.

This best suits owns.

>>To have or possess as property; To have control over

Govtcheez
07-14-2003, 11:02 AM
So, if you were to say "Zakk Wylde owns!", then what exactly does he possess?

You know what? ........ it. I've already seen how useless it is to even try and have a discussion with you. The bottom line is owns is indeed a real word, but your usage of it came from the Internet, or at the very least that usage became widespread on the Internet. That makes it part of Internet slang, whether you want it to or not.

RoD
07-14-2003, 11:03 AM
In the context u have used it its slang dude, deal with it.

ZakkWylde969
07-14-2003, 11:09 AM
Its not internet slang. There is a fine line in slang and internet slang. Internet slang is slang terms you wouldn't use off the computer. Rofl. No one says that slang when having a conversation with friends. Do people say owns or rules when talking about something? Yes they do.

>>if you were to say "Zakk Wylde owns!", then what exactly does he possess?

That is also infering words. As to saying. Zakk Wylde totally owns at the guitar. If you where to put a definition in there it would be similar.

Zakk Wylde totally has control over that guitar.

Both mean that he is awsome at it.

Govtcheez
07-14-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by ZakkWylde969
Do people say owns or rules when talking about something? Yes they do. Rules, yes, thanks to Bill and Ted. Owns. I really hope not.

Face it. Your little term's from the internet, hence, internet slang.

confuted
07-14-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by ZakkWylde969
You brought up a totally different topic in that. Owns is a real word with a real meaning. You won't find LOL or KEWL or something in Websters. You will find owns in the dictionary.

Bull.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=lol

There it is in the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. :eek:

ZakkWylde969
07-14-2003, 11:26 AM
Sorry but it's not from the internet. Didn't you say this though...

>>You know what? $$$$ it. I've already seen how useless it is to even try and have a discussion with you. The bottom line is owns is indeed a real word, but your usage of it came from the Internet, or at the very least that usage became widespread on the Internet. That makes it part of Internet slang, whether you want it to or not.

Its not internet slang. But it is slang. And in a discussion I'm not going to say you're right when you are wrong. We can agree it is slang right? Right. It isn't internet slang since its used in real conversations! If you go to a concert or something and on the way home you might say to your friends.

"Hey guys, That concert owned!". (Slang). They wouldn't say this.

"Rofl that was 37737" (Or however that hacker elite is spelled)

Are you seeing what I'm trying to say?

Govtcheez
07-14-2003, 11:27 AM
> Are you seeing what I'm trying to say?

Yes. And you're still wrong. I've heard people use "ELL OH ELL" in conversation, and as blackrat pointed out, it's in the dictionary. Jeepers, I guess it's not internet slang now!

edit: and even if it didn't get started on the Internet, it certainly grew in popularity there. If where something the only that determined what it was called, we'd sure have a lot of usenet slang.

ZakkWylde969
07-14-2003, 11:30 AM
Anyone that uses initials in real speach should not be talking. It's one thing saving time by initializing in writing. But talking is a different story.

Govtcheez
07-14-2003, 11:32 AM
But omg! Someone used it it real speech! And it's in the dictionary! It can't possibly be internet slang!

ZakkWylde969
07-14-2003, 11:34 AM
Did you bother looking at the source of the definition. let me show you.

The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing, 1993-2003 Denis Howe

internet slang.

confuted
07-14-2003, 11:35 AM
It's spelled 1337. Tard. :rolleyes: j/k on the tard.

Govtcheez
07-14-2003, 11:35 AM
But *gasp*, it's still in the dictionary. Things come from different sources, y'know.

RoD
07-14-2003, 11:36 AM
ZakkWylde969
I feel smart!

Dont.

Zach L.
07-14-2003, 11:36 AM
The word 'owns' requires an object (two to be precise), as in 'a owns b', where 'a' and 'b' are both objects.

>> Anyone that uses initials in real speach should not be talking. It's one thing saving time by initializing in writing. But talking is a different story.

Right... I've heard people actually pronounce 'lol'. Besides there are plenty of acronyms which are valid to speak with.

ZakkWylde969
07-14-2003, 11:41 AM
Well if you actually out more than a second of thought into the source you would go.

"Hey thats an COMPUTER dictionary! So its for computer talk!"

Instead you ignore that and continue to repeat yourself. Zach I already gave an example of the word own. Let me paste that back up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>if you were to say "Zakk Wylde owns!", then what exactly does he possess?

That is also infering words. As to saying. Zakk Wylde totally owns at the guitar. If you where to put a definition in there it would be similar.

Zakk Wylde totally has control over that guitar.

Both mean that he is awsome at it.

Zach L.
07-14-2003, 11:46 AM
Yes, but without using the slang, that sentence makes no sense. "at the guitar" is not an object. "the guitar" is, so "Zakk Wylde totally owns the guitar." is proper grammatically, but does not mean what you want.

ZakkWylde969
07-14-2003, 11:49 AM
Its called infering words. People do it all the time.

Govtcheez
07-14-2003, 11:49 AM
> Well if you actually out more than a second of thought into the source you would go.

Well if you actually out more than a second of thought into the source you would go, "Hey, a dictionary's not a static record. It changes, and occasionally gets entries from other sources! Sometimes they're specific to their industry!" I wasn't saying that I thought lol should be a word people use all the time; I was saying your comment that just because owns (and not even in your form) is in the dictionary doesn't make it any less an internet slang term.

> Both mean that he is awsome at it.

Yes, we know what it means, but thanks for enlightening us with one of your earlier posts from the same goddam thread. Here, let's play a game.

I'll put up a word, you tell me where its usage started becoming mainstream.
lol
rtfm
stfw
owns
brb

When you post back, possibly cutting and pasting some other post from an unrelated thread, I'll give you the answer.

Hell, I'll even give you a hint. Hint: The answers are the same

codingmaster
07-14-2003, 11:55 AM
@Govtcheez: use LART ;)

Zach L.
07-14-2003, 11:59 AM
>> Its called infering words. People do it all the time.

Yes... infering words = failing to complete a sentence, and hoping people know what your talking about. Besides, your still grammatically incorrect with "at the guitar".

>> use LART

Must find sledge hammer!

ZakkWylde969
07-14-2003, 12:04 PM
>>Yes... infering words = failing to complete a sentence, and hoping people know what your talking about. Besides, your still grammatically incorrect with "at the guitar".

When you take it out of context people won't know what your talking about. But if you are into a conversation about something and you infer something people will figure it out easily.

Zach L.
07-14-2003, 12:07 PM
True, but its still grammatically incorrect not to have an object after it. And sentece fragments are grammatically incorrect. People do know what your talking about - slang would be worthless if people didn't.