PDA

View Full Version : Feel Like An Idiot

golfinguy4
07-01-2003, 10:40 PM
How often do you feel like an absolute idiot? I just had one of those experiences. I just spent at least 30 minutes (probably closer to 45) debugging the stupidest error. I'm writing code and a bool is having values of 255 and 2. So, I go through all the code and output its value at various points to ensure that it isn't being screwed with in a bad way. Finally, I look in the constructor and realize that I never initialize the stupid bool.:mad:

Eibro
07-01-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by golfinguy4
How often do you feel like an absolute idiot? I just had one of those experiences. I just spent at least 30 minutes (probably closer to 45) debugging the stupidest error. I'm writing code and a bool is having values of 255 and 2. So, I go through all the code and output its value at various points to ensure that it isn't being screwed with in a bad way. Finally, I look in the constructor and realize that I never initialize the stupid bool.:mad: To be quite honest, i'd take my fathers rifle and shoot myself in the face if I ever did that.

golfinguy4
07-01-2003, 11:10 PM
Thanx man.

TravisS
07-02-2003, 02:24 AM
Both I and my teacher spent about 30 minutes trying to find a bug.... only to realize I had put a semi-colon at the end of a while statement. Damn... I felt stupid after that!

zornthrohacker
07-02-2003, 06:09 AM
Don't you just hate semi-colons, stupid pars error...

GanglyLamb
07-02-2003, 06:21 AM
How often do you feel like an absolute idiot?

All the time unless im drunk or high on something...

When it comes down to coding: i usually just dont see the error becoz im so fixated on it, or becoz its something 2 easy..

Therefor i think im having serious concentration problems: when i had my last exam of maths i solved all the questions. I thought i was gonna have like 75 % or even more, outcome was 51 %.
When i asked my teacher she said i solved all the hard question correct (wich are graded less :s --this way losers in maths can keep up :s) and that i made strange mistakes with the easiest questions...
Anyhow i can cope with that becoz i know that i was almost the only one who solved these hard questions right

So right now im doing a self-therapy... double check everything, even the simplest things wich are 2 obvious to check wether they are correct or not, i just check evry single thing.

But so far this therapy aint working that well, keep falling in the traps i set up be4 unconsciously.

Laterz,

Ganglylamb.

codingmaster
07-02-2003, 07:44 AM
@GanglyLamb:
I have the same problem, that I can't concenrate, during an exam (for example math: I get just 85%-90% of the points, cause I make stupid mistakes, when I calculate easy stuff)!!!

I'm doing a self therapy too, checking all the things 2 times, cause u don't have a debugger (when ur in school, which debugs ur mathematics exam);)

GanglyLamb
07-02-2003, 07:57 AM
I'm doing a self therapy too, checking all the things 2 times, cause u don't have a debugger (when ur in school, which debugs ur mathematics exam)

Well i hope that one day this method is so brain-implemented that i do it by myself (without thinking of it).

RoD
07-02-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by TravisS
Both I and my teacher spent about 30 minutes trying to find a bug.... only to realize I had put a semi-colon at the end of a while statement. Damn... I felt stupid after that!

We called one of the kids in our class "semi" cuz he always did that, never learned not too.

Zach L.
07-02-2003, 08:37 AM
Know what you mean golfinguy... I spent a while last week on something really stupid. I only wanted to create objects if they were not already stashed away in a list, and it was creating them nonetheless... Turned out, I never actually put them into the list. :rolleyes:

joshdick
07-02-2003, 11:17 PM
Don't sweat it, golfinguy. We all do dumb sheeit like that at times.

Eibro
07-02-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by joshdick
Don't sweat it, golfinguy. We all do dumb sheeit like that at times. Whoah, whoah back up. I certainly never do.

Fountain
07-03-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Eibro
Whoah, whoah back up. I certainly never do.

Something to do with budgies and hetrosexual nearly sprang to mind then. Still, this isnt a joke thread. :)

Silvercord
07-03-2003, 12:09 PM
I've been eating them since I was six but I realized just last night they're called Life Savers because they look like the things lifeguards throw into the water to save people.

EDIT:

Whoah, whoah back up. I certainly never do.

Its true :(

valar_king
07-03-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by GanglyLamb
All the time unless im drunk or high on something...

When it comes down to coding: i usually just dont see the error becoz im so fixated on it, or becoz its something 2 easy..

Therefor i think im having serious concentration problems: when i had my last exam of maths i solved all the questions. I thought i was gonna have like 75 % or even more, outcome was 51 %.
When i asked my teacher she said i solved all the hard question correct (wich are graded less :s --this way losers in maths can keep up :s) and that i made strange mistakes with the easiest questions...
Anyhow i can cope with that becoz i know that i was almost the only one who solved these hard questions right

So right now im doing a self-therapy... double check everything, even the simplest things wich are 2 obvious to check wether they are correct or not, i just check evry single thing.

But so far this therapy aint working that well, keep falling in the traps i set up be4 unconsciously.

Laterz,

Ganglylamb.

you are an idiot. how long does it take to type "to" instead of "2"? this is a message board, not a chatroom

confuted
07-03-2003, 07:18 PM
Casey made me feel like an idiot today when he came up with an elegant and simple solution to my stupid problem :) Thanks man, I'd been thinking about that for hours.

volk
07-03-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by valar_king
you are an idiot. how long does it take to type "to" instead of "2"? this is a message board, not a chatroom

*cough, it's "too" not "to," cough*

ygfperson
07-03-2003, 09:01 PM
I had an array of Factor pointers:

std::vector<Factor*> fac;
And a substitute function:

void substitute(const Factor& in, const Factor& out);

Then I realized that the 'in' and 'out' were changing silently because of my substitute code. ('in' and 'out' were in the array, which was not const.)

Boy did I feel dumb after that.

sean
07-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Don't feel stupid, I only realized why they were called lifesavers after reading your post.

golfinguy4
07-03-2003, 09:45 PM
Wow, people are making a big deal out of this. I was kidding around.

Silvercord
07-03-2003, 10:00 PM
I want to take toast, and, rub it all over my body.

funkydude9
07-03-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by golfinguy4
How often do you feel like an absolute idiot?

All the time.

RoD
07-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by funkydude9
All the time.

i hear that!!