PDA

View Full Version : Network Programming Board

Eibro
07-01-2003, 09:20 PM
I've noticed an incline in the questions about socket programming, so how about a network programming board? The two most common APIs are almost identical (Winsock and Berkeley) as Winsock was derived from Berkeley sockets, but this leads to people posting questions about the Winsock API on the Windows board, and questions about Berkeley sockets on the Linux board. We need a unified board for all socket programming!

Who's with me!

frenchfry164
07-01-2003, 10:41 PM
I think you need a "EFFING HELL YES $$$$$ OF COURSE" option
let's just ignore that stupidity......

Anyways, I don't know if it would get many posts. There are a lot of sockets questions, but they are usually asking the same thing, and there is a lot more to networking than sockets.

Eibro
07-01-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by frenchfry164
let's just ignore that stupidity......

Anyways, I don't know if it would get many posts. There are a lot of sockets questions, but they are usually asking the same thing, and there is a lot more to networking than sockets. I didn't suggest a networking board, I suggested a network programming board.

With too many boards, we would get flashdaddee.com syndrome.Eh so your reasoning is, there's already too many boards?

ygfperson
07-01-2003, 11:02 PM
Hmm... it's not a bad idea. But it should be introduced on a trial basis, and removed if it gets neglected.

zornthrohacker
07-02-2003, 06:19 AM
Defanently agree with Salem...

Originally posted by frenchfry164
There are a lot of sockets questions, but they are usually asking the same thing,...

If that's the case then there should be FAQ on network programming instead of a new board.

confuted
07-02-2003, 07:41 AM
>>Eh so your reasoning is, there's already too many boards? -Eibro
No, I said that if we continually add them, there will be. Things kinda run in cycles. A couple people are doing sockets right now, so there are a bunch of posts about them. After they either figure them out or give up, or some combination of both, there will be posts about something else.

RoD
07-02-2003, 08:13 AM
The logic of "people will still post elsewhere" or "will manage to not read them" needs to be silenced. Of course this will happen, but thats with everything. Based on this logic we could eliminate the entire site!

That said i think we need a board for this, but a little broader. Perhaps the board could be inclusive to device communication and such? Such as programming that involves printer, scanner, joystick, and other computer communication, etc. Any communication that is done with an outside source could be covered here, as i feel that tends to pop up a fair amount also.

FAQ entries are always a good idea, but bear in mind some people need person to person communication to grasp certain things, and reading the faq alone will not provide this interaction. It is that reason that makes me include all my contact information in my tutorials. I find that about 55-60% of all the learning that comes from my work is done through communication with the readers.

I'm not going to write a book on this, so let me wrap it up. In conclusion i think the board is a good idea and should be placed on a trial and error as ygf said, perhaps three or four months is a realistic goal. Its not like the .NET board, which was pointless, it has a purpose and a need and i feel it will suprise many of you with how it works.

So lets give it a shot, it cant hurt.

Eibro
07-02-2003, 11:33 AM
There are a lot of sockets questions, but they are usually asking the same thingSo, if we have a dedicated socket programming board, maybe with a small FAQ do you think these questions will be reduced?

I can't see the point of a board which will fill up with
- go read beej
- go read the RFCsThe same thing could be said about some of the other boards as well. Yes, a new board will no doubt bring problems, you can't prevent that. But, as I said before, the other boards could also be dismissed on this same reasoning.

-KEN-
07-02-2003, 11:44 AM
I don't see the problem with posting your networking questions to the board that corresponds to the language you're using.

It's been said many times, this is a c-programming site. Not a general programming site. Platform specific boards were put in because there are platform-dependant implementaitons of things.

We don't need any new boards.

frenchfry164
07-02-2003, 11:47 AM
I like RoD's idea. Have a board for external device communication. It could cover everything from network programming to making a lamp that connects to your computer's parallel port and you click a button in a program and it turns it on.

Eibro
07-02-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by -KEN-
I don't see the problem with posting your networking questions to the board that corresponds to the language you're using.

It's been said many times, this is a c-programming site. Not a general programming site. Platform specific boards were put in because there are platform-dependant implementaitons of things.

We don't need any new boards. No one suggested a general programming board. This would be a socket programming board using C/C++.

Okay, platform specific boards were put in because there's platform-dependant implementations of things? Well, sockets are platform dependant.

Posting socket programming questions in the C/C++ would be just as wrong as posting questions about WinAPI or some other platform dependant API on those boards.

Hammer
07-02-2003, 01:23 PM
I don't think we get enough questions, and as said, most end up being a simple RTFM response anyway.

I suppose a new board might provoke additional conversation, but not enough to warrant a forum in it's own right.

But then network programming is an interesting subject...

Zach L.
07-02-2003, 02:12 PM
I don't think that a network programming/external device communication board is too specific. Those kind of questions would work well on the platform specific boards, but I can't see them bringing in many posts on their own.

SourceCode
07-02-2003, 03:11 PM
Will a new section cause more people to post there? Possibly yea, but if it ends up being a "dead area" of the forum, then people will tend not to post there. What will happen I dunno, so I voted "I don't care", it's all the same to me.

Eibro
07-02-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Zach L.
I don't think that a network programming/external device communication board is too specific. Those kind of questions would work well on the platform specific boards, but I can't see them bringing in many posts on their own. That's part of the problem. Questions about Winsock get posted to the Windows board, questions about Berkeley sockets get posted to the Linux board. Windows programmers don't read the Linux board, and Linux programmers don't read the Windows board (theoretically) however, these two APIs are almost identical, and someone who uses Berkeley sockets could easily answer a question about Winsock and vice-versa.

We can speculate all we want about whether or not this board would draw in enough posts to warrant its creation, but the only way to actually find out is to create it for a period of time. It IS possible that creating this board would generate more posts about socket programming.

-KEN-
07-02-2003, 04:14 PM
The fact that people are too dumb to post their socket questions to the language-specific boards aren't _our_ faults now, are they?

Then again, I don't care. Adding "Sockets" to the platform-specific boards wouldn't be a horrible idea. I've heard worse.

Zach L.
07-02-2003, 04:32 PM
>> We can speculate all we want about whether or not this board would draw in enough posts to warrant its creation, but the only way to actually find out is to create it for a period of time. It IS possible that creating this board would generate more posts about socket programming.

It is possible that it'll generate a large quantity of pink elephants as well. At any rate, yeah... worth a try I suppose. It would be kind of nice to have.

Xei
07-02-2003, 10:47 PM
What is it with people and wanting new boards lately? Seriousely, we don't need any more General Forums, .NET Forums, or Networking forums, etc. All of these questions can be asked on a related board. I really don't think that it's necessary to have a board specifically for Networking because there isn't really a great population demanding such a specific topic. We can always make a 'Sticky' or a tutorial for sockets which would solve FAQ's.

RoD
07-02-2003, 11:01 PM
I would agree if the board was strictly for networking, but i think we decided that my idea to expand upon that is a good one. So fa the majority wants it but hey, i'll live if we dont its not life or death...

mart_man00
07-02-2003, 11:08 PM
sorry to butt in here.

people will never read the faq. people will always cross post. why let this stop you from anything?

if you think we shouldnt add specialties then why do we have a c++ board, its just c isnt it?

i think hammer said it best "But then network programming is an interesting subject...". so why not? if the admin says theres enough space why not, it migh make him more cash(or break even, i dont know which).

but then again i cant argue with salem, "the regulars will have yet another board to look at".

if there wasnt a network board it would just goto c, so your not really taking up that much more space.

those are the only point you really have to think about.

if you are serious about this why didnt you talk to the admin?

Eibro
07-02-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Xei
What is it with people and wanting new boards lately? Seriousely, we don't need any more General Forums, .NET Forums, or Networking forums, etc. All of these questions can be asked on a related board. I really don't think that it's necessary to have a board specifically for Networking because there isn't really a great population demanding such a specific topic. We can always make a 'Sticky' or a tutorial for sockets which would solve FAQ's. To be honest, I haven't seen many requests for viable new boards (those which have to do with C/C++) Sure networking questions could be posted to a related board, but as I said in a previous post, that's part of the problem.

Again, like I said, you can speculate all you want whether or not there's enough interest to warrant such a board but the only real way to find out is to create one.

RoD
07-03-2003, 09:36 AM
>>it migh make him more cash(or break even, i dont know which).

neither. As far as asking the admin, it would be based on vote of the ppl, and i am sure this thread has been brought to wm's attention.

mart_man00
07-03-2003, 07:48 PM
neither.
surprising. the boards normally seem popular(well not now but before. i guess no more classes in some schools). is bandwidth that bad for a mostly text site?

maybe i should just download the faq and vvv's post...

JaWiB
07-03-2003, 08:04 PM
I was almost for the idea, but thinking back, only a few posts about network programming are ever made, and many times its something like:

Look into socket programming.

And the other times the question is answered. Of course, I tend to forget things that seem unimportant to me...

ygfperson
07-03-2003, 08:56 PM
What's the harm in trying?

RoD
07-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Sean
That would be too smart. You're taking away our right to whine.

I disagree. See theres a 50-50 shot for both of us. Theres a 50% chance this will increase your right and reason to whine. Gamble with us.

zahid
07-05-2003, 01:00 AM
I said "Yes".

There could be a place specific for Network Programming.

RoD
07-05-2003, 03:19 AM
Well the last topic for a forum section went about this long and then it was said that the people had spoken for the no option, looks like a yes, lets try it.

vasanth
07-05-2003, 04:19 AM
I dont see the need for a new board.... Too many boads not a good idea.. I hardly see few questions related to network programming..

RoD
07-05-2003, 05:52 AM
the majority wants to try it. If we go by the deciding factors given in the last topic on a new forum (the .net forum) then this means a trial is called for.

frenchfry164
07-05-2003, 09:42 AM
I think it should be external device board. If it is, I'll change my answer to yes. I know there isn't many questions about external device communication, but if there is a new board, people may begin to get interest in it.

mart_man00
07-05-2003, 10:01 AM
I dont see the need for a new board.... Too many boads not a good idea.. I hardly see few questions related to network programming..
its bound to attract new people. theres a couple more boards that would be nice to have.

we already have a c++ board, so some one gets the idea of having flavors of c programming.

id like to see something like a embedded, io(port) and the networking board.

it would bring in more people so in theory it should make it easier for the regulars, so more specialized people would be posting the answers, thats great for us n00bs too.

Fordy
07-07-2003, 12:04 PM
As nothing based around the subject has been posted for a while, I'll close it.

If anyone has any legitimate points to make, PM me

Following a suggestion from original poster, I have tried to prune this thread down to posts relevant to the discussion. Please try to keep the the thread trash free.....pretty please?