PDA

View Full Version : Real Game Coding

Axpen
07-01-2003, 04:16 AM
Does anybody here, or anybody here have friends or relatives that program for a Commercial/Proprietairy game company like Blizzard Entertainment or ESPECIALLY game companies like Squaresoft?

I was wondering what kind of software they use to program, I know Squaresoft has had 1 or 2 Final Fantasy ports to PC, but, what kind of compilers do pro's use in PC development, stuff like Visual Studio.NET's Visual C++ or Borland Delphi, or is there something better?!? (I know those are both integrated IDE's, but I mean the best compiler)

Thanks for taking a look at this,
Alex

confuted
07-01-2003, 04:23 AM
A lot of the pros that are programming on Windows will use Visual Studio... No, there really isn't something "better" than what is available to everyone

XSquared
07-01-2003, 11:11 AM
I know that Blizzard uses MSVC for its games.

DavidP
07-01-2003, 12:40 PM
Does anybody here, or anybody here have friends or relatives that program for a Commercial/Proprietairy game company

yes, i do

and just like the people who answered this thread before I did...they use MSVC for the most part. If they are developing for a platform other than Windows,they will use something else, but as so much of the market is Windows software, mostly MSVC is used.

Zach L.
07-01-2003, 12:42 PM
Working at a non-game oriented company, though one that supports multiple platforms, we generally use GCC.

Axpen
07-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Thanks alot for all your help, I was just wondering what was out there. I know SONY limits what "the public" can get, and thought that it might be the same for Win32, well it's good to know that it's not, again thanks,
Alex:D

gcn_zelda
07-01-2003, 01:12 PM
yup. My cousin's uncle works with whatever company makes Warcraft. Blizzard, I think.

zornthrohacker
07-01-2003, 01:44 PM
Blizard makes allot of stratagy games, asid from civilization(sid myers)...

:eek: I thought you had to have a seperat compilar to compile programms to work on - say the ps2, or maby just another set of libraries. :confused:

Cheeze-It
07-01-2003, 03:45 PM
3 of the Blizzard co-founders just left the company. Blizzard will
die soon.

zornthrohacker
07-01-2003, 03:58 PM
Maby if Blizard has secret compilars and what not they will tell.

XSquared
07-01-2003, 04:25 PM
>> 3 of the Blizzard co-founders just left the company. Blizzard will die soon.

I doubt that.

JaWiB
07-01-2003, 04:33 PM
I sure hope not, have you seen starcraft ghost, I think it looks awesome...Do you want it to die?

Cheeze-It
07-01-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by XSquared
>> 3 of the Blizzard co-founders just left the company. Blizzard will die soon.

I doubt that.

Why? Blizzard is just a name. Do you think Id Software would still
be important if John Carmack left the company?

Hopefully the people that left take some of the Blizzard artists
with them.

gcn_zelda
07-01-2003, 06:10 PM
Id makes Doom and such, right? Because when I played doom on pc, the passwords are all like id------ and id--- and such...

Eibro
07-01-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by zornthrohacker
Maby if Blizard has secret compilars and what not they will tell. No, it's quite apparent that MSVC was used.

MrWizard
07-01-2003, 07:43 PM
We use Visual Studio at work for XBOX and PC development.

DavidP
07-01-2003, 09:59 PM
I thought you had to have a seperat compilar to compile programms to work on - say the ps2, or maby just another set of libraries

no, you use the same compilers for PS2 and XBOX as you would any other program, you just use different libraries. You must have the PS2 SDK to develop for the ps2, and the same is such for xbox and other console platforms.

frenchfry164
07-01-2003, 10:50 PM
So are you saying that if you make a program in MSVC++ that you could run it on a Apple II or Atari? Nope. You need a seperate compiler that is built to make executable files for that platform. You COULD use a cross-compiler too. It would have to have support for whatever platform you are developing on. XBox basically is the same thing as a PC with windows loaded.

golfinguy4
07-01-2003, 10:59 PM
fry, you're wrong here. If you just told the compiler to use different libraries, it could compile for whatever system you told it to.

XSquared
07-01-2003, 11:12 PM
Nope. Try making MSVC compile a program that works on a Mac or on Linux. Without using a Windows emulator, btw.

golfinguy4
07-01-2003, 11:22 PM
No crap it ain't gonna work. That's because MSVS is using windows libraries. I wonder why? It's only a windows compiler ya know. However, if you told it to use only Mac libraries or only linux libraries, the compiled app would run on the Mac/Linux and not on windows.

XSquared
07-01-2003, 11:33 PM
You would never be able to get MSVC to compile for Mac or Linux, no matter what libraries you told it to use.

golfinguy4
07-01-2003, 11:40 PM
Why's this?

novacain
07-01-2003, 11:46 PM
We use MSVC for all our comercial apps.

>>You would never be able to get MSVC to compile for Mac or Linux, no matter what libraries you told it to use.

I've made simple app's in C that work on Linux (and in MS OS's) in MSVC. Never tried for MAC.

frenchfry164
07-02-2003, 11:40 AM
Since when does MSVC output ELF or a.out executables that are built against Glibc? Libraries are not the issue here, it is executable formats.

rahaydenuk
07-02-2003, 04:10 PM
As far as I'm aware the MS linker only outputs PE (portable executable) COFF files, which will only run on Win32 O/S's or others which support this executable file format. I didn't think that either Linux nor Macs supported it.

Regards,

golfinguy4
07-02-2003, 09:31 PM
Actually, yes. But theoretically, if the correct libraries were used, the output format could be whatever the libraries displayed.