View Full Version : I can't find a job.

Cheeze-It
06-25-2003, 08:12 PM
...I can't. It sucks. I haven't had a job for months. Stupid idiot wieners
won't hire me. They don't even have a good reason, either. I know
it's because I'm timid, but so what? That's a stupid reason not to
hire someone. I could do any job better than the people that
actually get hired.

I've been on, oh, about 100 interviews these past few months.
The last one I had was at a company that buys up inventory from
companies that declare bankruptcy. The stupid, hairy-faced lady
said she would call me back on Monday, no matter what! Even if
I didn't get the job, they said they'd still call me. Guess what!
They didn't! If they don't like me, why can't they just tell me at
the interview instead of making me wait around the house for
a phone call that they know they have no intention of making?

::Punches a hole in the wall::

I know the economy sucks, but that shouldn't have an effect
on me. That only affects the "career" people, not the "job" people.
It's not like I'm expecting a salary of $75000/year, just a simple,
$9/hour job (which is a $1.24 lower than the last job I had. Bleh,
I hated that job).

I almost had a job in early may, but I decided not to continue
with the interview process after the stupid lady said I should
improve my appearance. Normally, I wouldn't care; but I looked
good; borderline-handsome, even. I actually put an effort into my
appearance. But the thing that really bothered me was that the
lady didn't look good herself. Sure, she was wearing a pant-suit,
but it was obviously from the Wal-Mart office-wear collection. I
hate her; stupid, snooty skank.

::Kicks a cat::

Let's see, I also had an interview at a medical lab; I would have
been testing pee-pee for drugs. Kind of gross, but they would
have given me a lab coat, which is rad. I may have gotten this
job, but the day before the lady said she would call me back,
the stupid phone company disconnected my phone. Argh! I'm sure
I could have called her to see if I had gotten the job, but if I didn't,
that would have created an awkward moment. I mean, what if
she didn't intend to call me, then I called? Embarassing...

Why the frick do so many jobs require "good communication skills"
or "a fun, energetic, outgoing personality"...? And if they don't
require that, then they require the ability to lift 70lbs, sometimes more!!!
Is there anybody on this planet than can lift 70lbs? I think not,
that's heavy. It's so stupid.

The thing is, I'm even afraid to go outside now. I'm afraid I'll
run into someone I used go to school with. I know they're going
to ask me, "so, where do you work?" Some girl I used to go to
Jr. High with now works at the place where I normally get my
haircut -- yeah, so I can't even get my haircut unless I go to a
completely different city.

::Sheds a tear::

You know what's rad? If you order a pizza from Pizza Hut, you can
get the Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey DVD for free!!! I almost did
that, but got a P'Zone instead. Mmmm, P'Zone... Primus is in that
movie. Primus was great. I'm soooo bored.

Did you know there's a town called "Weiner, Arizona"..? Hehehe.

golfinguy4
06-25-2003, 08:22 PM
Dude, 70lbs isn't that much weight.

DavidP
06-25-2003, 09:31 PM
want one of my jobs? i have 2 jobs, and im working 60 hours a week...

i will GLADLY let you have one of mine

Unregd
06-25-2003, 09:39 PM
I sympathize with you. I've also had trouble finding a job. Yes, I even put on the "friendly personality" act, and this was for a Subway! She must have seen through it. How am I going to pay for college, especially with tuition going up 20%? I guess I can hope for a ton of money to fall from the sky. If I want to get a job at Circuit City or Best Buy, I have to have the personality that would sell merchandise. I can't do hard manual labor, and I can't work in slave labor at a fast-food restaurant.

This is an employers' market, and it's horribly unfair to the more introverted of us. After college, I'll have a degree as leverage, but until then I have to rely on my personality, and that's not going to get me very far.

Mister C
06-25-2003, 09:55 PM
Ethic,

Are you in college? Find a work study position. I was not a "people person" or a salesman. I did however had to work at my communication skills. This led to many different opportunities.

Also, what about Internships?

confuted
06-25-2003, 10:50 PM
I'm capable of working in fast food - I've done it before. For all you problem customers out there - I wanted to kill each and every one of you. I wanted to eviscerate you and feed your entrails to the next customer. And I wanted to overcharge him and pocket the difference. Damn it, I wish I had. Anyway, I won't work another fast food job. It's intellectual suicide. I'm sorry, Mrs. Boss Lady, but "at" is a preposition, and it does not go at the end of the sentence. Oh, and yes, I AM sure that 12*2 is 24, and NO, I don't need a calculator to figure out the value of the coupon, it's subtraction. I know that you dropped out of high school, but some people aren't f'ing morons, have more than three teeth, don't smoke 12 packs a day, and can actually do basic math in their head. You, on the other hand, can not use a calculator correctly. I had to show you how. Remember that? Oh yeah, I'm not getting a raise - or your job - even though I already do it for you.

I applied at Borders (a bookstore) last week. They said they were hiring. I was fully qualified. Not that the qualifications for being a cashier are rigorous or anything, but if they'd asked, they would have realized that I could have added up the totals without the register to help me. You know, incase the power went out while they were selling Harry Potter books or something. They didn't call me for an interview. Hell, I went in and asked for one. No luck. What the heck? I even know my alphabet - I could put the books in the right order on the shelf. They wouldn't have to train me. They would barely have to pay me.

I don't even want a job. There are so many books that I want to read, so much that I want to learn. I could spend all summer doing that, easily. But I need a car. I need to go to college. I need pizza while I'm in college. Ergo, I need money. I need a lot of money, and I'm willing to work like a dog to get it. Just...not fast food. Even manual labor is better than that, and I don't exactly have the best back.

TravisS
06-26-2003, 01:09 AM
I sympathize as well. I had a pretty good job going for nearly the last 3 years. It wasn't always the most steady job, when is contracted labor steady anyway? But it always gave me enough to get by, and most often a good amount of spending money.

Then, about 3 months ago, the people we contract out to lost about 90% of the main contract. In turn, we lost about 80% of our work. When once we were working on nearly 200 computers a month, we dropped to around 20. Where once I was making ~ $120/day, I'm now making about $60/month.

The economy flat out sucks for technical work. I looked, and looked, and looked some more for about 2 months. Finally I got sick of it, don't care where I work, money is money. My boss has helped me out over the last few years. Through him, I've gotten 3 jobs. First, of course the job with him. Next (for a little extra cash) I got a job at a restaraunt through his gilfriend, and now.... well... him mom is the general manager at a local Burger King. I asked, she gave. I start work at BK next week, about 19 hours and 5 days.

Damnit, this is the first time EVER that I will have worked for minimum wage. Even when I got my first job at 16, I made $1 over minimum wage. Thank god mimum wage is about $7/hr, working full time I'll just barely be able to pay all my bills :mad:

bookworm
06-26-2003, 03:42 AM
http://www.jobsahead.com

SourceCode
06-26-2003, 05:54 AM
Why the frick do so many jobs require "good communication skills"
or "a fun, energetic, outgoing personality"...? And if they don't
require that, then they require the ability to lift 70lbs, sometimes more!!!
Is there anybody on this planet than can lift 70lbs? I think not,
that's heavy. It's so stupid.

I couldn't agree more lol, although I've actually had several of those "ability to lift 70lbs" jobs and they suck bad. In some of them you will never even lift over 50lbs, and in others you will be dealing with 300lb objects, with two people of course.

Just wanna add goodluck with your jobsearch, I know how it is. I've had tons of crappy odd jobs my entire life lol.

SiLeNt BoB
06-26-2003, 03:23 PM
I would just like to point out that THERE IS HOPE (http://jobsearch.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=18243120&AVSDM=2003%2D06%2D18+20%3A38%3A00&CCD=my%2Emonster%2Ecom&JSD=jobsearch%2Emonster%2Ecom&HD=company%2Emonster%2Ecom&AD=http%3A%2F%2Fjobsearch%2Emonster%2Ecom%2Fjobsea rch%2Easp%3Fq%3Dgaming%26sort%3Drv%26tm%3D%26fn%3D 6%26vw%3Db%26cy%3DUS%26brd%3D1%252C1862%252C1863&Logo=1&col=dltci&cy=US&brd=1%2C1862%2C1863&lid=&fn=6&q=gaming)

- SB

RoD
06-26-2003, 09:54 PM
I'm capable of working in fast food - I've done it before. For all you problem customers out there - I wanted to kill each and every one of you. I wanted to eviscerate you and feed your entrails to the next customer. And I wanted to overcharge him and pocket the difference

So you worked at burger king too? One guy made me redo his burger 5 times because he kept changing his mind, and was getting an attitude with ME for his mistake, guess what, not only did i itch myself in various places while making it, i had nasty flem and i mixed it in with the sauce.

eat that.

Ben_Robotics
06-26-2003, 10:04 PM
eeeewwwww, :D
although i must admit you did the right thing!

RoD
06-26-2003, 10:14 PM
ive seen them do worse lol

JaWiB
06-26-2003, 10:17 PM
Oh thanks a lot guys, next time I go to a fast food place I'll make sure I just pick off the stuff I don't like...actually I might just go to subway since they make it right in front of you...

RoD
06-26-2003, 10:19 PM
u still dont know what those fingers are doing before u come in.

Zach L.
06-26-2003, 10:35 PM
Hmm... I don't think I'll be eating anything that I don't personally torch for a while.

RoD
06-26-2003, 11:25 PM
dont get me started on taco bell, my gf works there. i love TB so i zone her out.

alpha
06-27-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by JaWiB
Oh thanks a lot guys, next time I go to a fast food place I'll make sure I just pick off the stuff I don't like...actually I might just go to subway since they make it right in front of you... I have a few friends that worked at a sub place. Sure they make it in front of you, but you don't know where the stuff in front of you has been; such as, the floor, etc.

Not to mention, as RoD said, where their fingers have been. But then again, they wear gloves now. But you don't know where the gloves have been.

lookingforajob
06-27-2003, 12:32 AM
yeah, job market sux right now; especially for IT. I graduated from USC (University of Southern California) with a degree in CS in May and I still haven't found a job yet. In fact after submitting 50+ resumes to various IT "entry-level" positions, i only got one stinking interview. My current job has nothing to do with programming, it's more of a business-related position. As of now I'm ditching the whole idea of being a programmer and getting into the business/corporate world instead. Damn, what a wonderful time to get a CS degree. If i was only born like 10 years earlier...

Xei
06-27-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by blackrat364
I'm capable of working in fast food - I've done it before. For all you problem customers out there - I wanted to kill each and every one of you. I wanted to eviscerate you and feed your entrails to the next customer. And I wanted to overcharge him and pocket the difference. Damn it, I wish I had. Anyway, I won't work another fast food job. It's intellectual suicide. I'm sorry, Mrs. Boss Lady, but "at" is a preposition, and it does not go at the end of the sentence. Oh, and yes, I AM sure that 12*2 is 24, and NO, I don't need a calculator to figure out the value of the coupon, it's subtraction. I know that you dropped out of high school, but some people aren't f'ing morons, have more than three teeth, don't smoke 12 packs a day, and can actually do basic math in their head. You, on the other hand, can not use a calculator correctly. I had to show you how. Remember that? Oh yeah, I'm not getting a raise - or your job - even though I already do it for you.

I applied at Borders (a bookstore) last week. They said they were hiring. I was fully qualified. Not that the qualifications for being a cashier are rigorous or anything, but if they'd asked, they would have realized that I could have added up the totals without the register to help me. You know, incase the power went out while they were selling Harry Potter books or something. They didn't call me for an interview. Hell, I went in and asked for one. No luck. What the heck? I even know my alphabet - I could put the books in the right order on the shelf. They wouldn't have to train me. They would barely have to pay me.

I don't even want a job. There are so many books that I want to read, so much that I want to learn. I could spend all summer doing that, easily. But I need a car. I need to go to college. I need pizza while I'm in college. Ergo, I need money. I need a lot of money, and I'm willing to work like a dog to get it. Just...not fast food. Even manual labor is better than that, and I don't exactly have the best back.

I know that exact feeling. My first job was when I was 14, I was waitressing stuff to people. My second Job was warehouse work until I was 16. Then I went to cashier at a fast food joint, then I went back to the warehouse (my back is kinda messed now, lifing 40-50kg boxes over and over hurts), and now I'm a dishwasher for weddings. Life sucks. Anyways, I shall study my ass off this summer to get my A+, and im pretty sure I can get a job in Calgary with computers. Getting a job here is easy(approx. 2 days to get one), getting a good job is more difficult.

Also, I refuse to work @ any warehouses due to the amount of carbon monoxide that builds up from fork lifts. It's bad and it makes me very very sick.

frenchfry164
06-27-2003, 09:43 PM
This gets me really excited for getting a job to pay for gas next year (I'll get my license next year)

Eibro
06-27-2003, 09:46 PM
Every job interview is the same.
"So, what is your sexual orientation?"
"Erm... i'm a homosexual."
"Sir, i'm going to have to ask you to leave."

itld
06-28-2003, 02:17 PM
howdy,
Seriously? you look bad, you speak poorly, your afraid of your own shadow, you don't follow up after an interview and you still Can't figure out why you are unemployed??

just head on down to the welfare office they'll take right good care of you.

M.R.

Cheeze-It
06-28-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by itld
howdy,
Seriously? you look bad, you speak poorly, your afraid of your own shadow, you don't follow up after an interview and you still Can't figure out why you are unemployed??

just head on down to the welfare office they'll take right good care of you.

M.R.

Hey yokel, I never said I didn't know why people weren't hiring
me, I said their reasons were stupid. Duh, keep up.

Shadow
06-28-2003, 08:26 PM
>I can't find a job....I can't. It sucks.

>
Hey yokel, I never said I didn't know why people weren't hiring
me, I said their reasons were stupid. Duh, keep up.
<
You've earned every outcome you've received.

itld
06-28-2003, 08:36 PM
howdy,
that would be gainfully employed yokel to you.

M.R.

Zach L.
06-28-2003, 08:47 PM
>> I said their reasons were stupid

From whose point of view? From yours, I can see why it seems stupid. From theirs, it makes perfect sense to hire someone else. As they are the employer, it is their point of view which counts.

RoD
06-28-2003, 09:56 PM
>>Erm... i'm a homosexual

I didnt know u had "come out". Im not knocking on u i jus think its cool that your ok to be open with it.

Cheeze-It
06-29-2003, 01:31 AM
You've earned every outcome you've received.

Blah, blah, blah. Thanks for... the most pointless reply ever made.

From whose point of view? From yours, I can see why it seems stupid. From theirs, it makes perfect sense to hire someone else. As they are the employer, it is their point of view which counts.

Obviously it's from my point of view, I'm the person who wrote
it. :rolleyes:

It doesn't make perfect sense to hire someone else. Even from
an employer's point of view, the reasons are still lame. Yeah,
it makes more sense to hire someone who laughs at stupid
jokes (fun, energetic, and outgoing are all synonyms for ditz)
than someone who can actually do a good job. Brilliant, homie...
(everything after "still lame" was sarcasm.)

howdy,
that would be gainfully employed yokel to you.

Okay, you're a gainfully employed bumpkin. Score, dude! You
really showed me.

itld
06-29-2003, 07:42 AM
howdy,
Nice, very nice.
I apologize. I was under the mistaken impression thet you really WANTED to find work.

M.R.

Cheeze-It
06-29-2003, 10:24 AM
howdy,
Nice, very nice.
I apologize. I was under the mistaken impression thet you really WANTED to find work.

M.R.

:confused:

What makes you think I don't? Considering I've been on a zillion
interviews, and have applied at 10 times as many places, I think
it's obvious that I do...

Zach L.
06-29-2003, 10:56 AM
I think the implication was that if you really wanted to get a job, then you would work to fix the things that potential employers pass you over for.

gcn_zelda
06-29-2003, 11:07 AM
Just head over to McDonald's and you're set for life :P

unanimous
06-29-2003, 11:19 AM
This thread really makes me glad that I know people in high places!!!!:D

gcn_zelda
06-29-2003, 11:30 AM
:D

I don't :P

Cheeze-It
06-29-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Zach L.
I think the implication was that if you really wanted to get a job, then you would work to fix the things that potential employers pass you over for.

Listen people, when I post threads to this board, I expect everybody
to agree with everything I say; Not to agree with the people I
hate. I'm your leader, not them. Respect your direct superior....
ethic.

Gosh, it's common courtesy. I thought we were all friends... :(

itld
06-29-2003, 07:56 PM
howdy,
Oops, aaaa yea those stupid employers just don't get it, why if they only knew whom they were interviewing they would hire you in a heart beat and at a very hansome salary....

M.R.

Cheeze-It
06-29-2003, 08:06 PM
howdy,
Oops, aaaa yea those stupid employers just don't get it, why if they only knew whom they were interviewing they would hire you in a heart beat and at a very hansome salary....

M.R.

You're an employer, you have your own business, you hire people
all the time... You're "the man", the person I'm fighting. I am your
enemy, and you will fall to me during the "ethic revolution."

::Holds up picket sign: Down With Management!!!::

"What do we want?"
"Ethic Employed."
"When do we want it?"
"Sometime next week."

Zach L.
06-29-2003, 08:07 PM
itld brings up quite a good point. The purpose of an interview is to show them who they are interviewing. Perhaps you do deserve that handsome salary, but you gotta show them why. Not just technical skills mind you, but you have to show them that your a person that they can work with, and won't be afraid to let customers see you.

Cheeze-It
06-29-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Zach L.
itld brings up quite a good point. The purpose of an interview is to show them who they are interviewing. Perhaps you do deserve that handsome salary, but you gotta show them why. Not just technical skills mind you, but you have to show them that your a person that they can work with, and won't be afraid to let customers see you.

Woh, woh, woh... I don't apply to any job that requires me to
interact with customers.

Zach L.
06-29-2003, 08:09 PM
At any rate, you've got a good sense of humor, you just gotta show that.

Zach L.
06-29-2003, 08:10 PM
>> I don't apply to any job that requires me to interact with customers.

Hmm... Then good luck finding a job that doesn't require repeatedly lifting 70 lbs. sacks all day.

itld
06-29-2003, 08:35 PM
howdy,
Ethic I'll be in SLC on Friday. ITLD is backlogged until the middle of September. If your interested in a construction job in New Mexico I"ll interview you.
You'll need to have the ability to work at heights above 50 feet, lift 100 lbs to you waste, operate fork lifts, cranes, rig loads, and use electric & pneumatic hand tools. Understand industrial safety reg's. The conditions this time of year are usualy pretty warm, around 90f. We generaly work from 6:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. most of our job sites are about 100 miles from our shop.
We pay $10.00 per hour to start and if you survive the first week we'll negotiate you pay....

M.R.