PDA

View Full Version : cprog.com game dev. team

Pages : [1] 2

Generator
10-28-2001, 01:56 PM
Hey Guys,

From DavidP's thread, Garfield, DavidP and I are interested in creating a game. Were looking for some more people to help program it up. David wanted to do a Leiro 2, jazz it up and make it multiplayer. That sounds pretty cool. If you have any other ideas post them. If you would like to join, email me your email address and we'll go from there.

Once we get a team toghether we'll vote on a game. Once we pick the game, well break it into peices and assign them to members of the team. We all work on our peices and submit the code for the project that was assigned to us to the team lead.

The team lead will put the pieces together, foreward a copy of the finished code to everyone on the team, so they can look over the program for syntax/programming errors. Once the it has been looked over by everyone and all the errors were fixed the team lead will compile the project and email it out. Bam we have a game and we can all start a major programming company:D What you guys think?

That's just a rough plan but you need a plan to do a project other wise it turns to crap and everyone loses interest. Anyways, post your ideas and we'll get started.

-Generator

C_Coder
10-28-2001, 02:12 PM
Sound's like a great idea, Too bad I haven't the knowledge to help out though.
:( :( :(

Generator
10-28-2001, 02:29 PM
Join up there is always something to do, and you might learn a few new things. Maybe Ill document all the steps we took when we start, and we'll post it up as a tut, if it's any good we can give it to rick and he might post it on his site... We could make a tut From start to finish, and a wicked game. What you guys think?

C_Coder
10-28-2001, 02:33 PM
If I can help out I would like to, but I never really even thought about graphics. So i might be a liability LOL

Garfield
10-28-2001, 03:06 PM
Yes, come all. Generator, what do you want the max numbers of members on the dev. team?

This is a great idea, guys. Join in. Like Generator said, you don't have to be an expert at game programming. Allow this to be an experience, too.

--Garfield

Generator
10-28-2001, 04:05 PM
Ummm maybe about 5 or 6. I think this will be great. All we need are a couple of people and we can start something up. Im off work in an hour, ill check my email when I get home. C_Coder is welcome to join. Im not a graphics guru but maybe we can find some way to convince DA to help out with that... :p

Garfield
10-28-2001, 04:28 PM
> convince DA to help out with that...

Yeh, if DA is on, then we should PM him/her.

maes
10-28-2001, 05:24 PM
sounds like a cool plan.
I'm interested. I'll send you an email.

Garfield
10-28-2001, 07:25 PM
Okay, maybe one more guy? This sounds great.

--Garfield

DavidP
10-28-2001, 08:46 PM
I am working on an RTS game engine right now. A lot of the graphic classes are done and functional, and I need to start on AI, pathing, interface, and sound. With some slight modifications, we might be able to use some of it if you want to.

We might not want to, because this game would require a bit more physics than an RTS game usually uses....but it might work.

Aran
10-28-2001, 09:20 PM
You guys have until the summer to use DA exclusively, after that, he is mine. I have had a verbal contract with him for a long while dealing with my RPG. I don't want any problems.

doubleanti
10-28-2001, 11:05 PM
>You guys have until the summer to use DA exclusively, after that, he is mine. I have had a verbal contract with him for a long while dealing with my RPG. I don't want any problems.

*snickers*... yeah guys... i'm already signed by a 15 year old... someone already has my Soul for the next couple of months... :) but it's not like i've signed my name in blood across an ancient parchment...

Garfield
10-29-2001, 05:25 AM
So are you in doubleanti? Come on, we need you. We'll make you rich and famous!

Oh, by the way, what language are we going to do this in? C or C++? I don't really know OOP for C++. All I do is C.

--Garfield

Garfield
10-29-2001, 05:27 AM
> I am working on an RTS game engine right now. A lot of the graphic classes are done and functional, and I need to start on AI, pathing, interface, and sound. With some slight modifications, we might be able to use some of it if you want to.

Sounds good!

Fordy
10-29-2001, 05:34 AM
>>Oh, by the way, what language are we going to do this in? C or C++?

No...do it in java...............

EvenFlow
10-29-2001, 07:32 AM
No not Java! DarkBasic!

gamegod3001
10-29-2001, 07:37 AM
No Kilk and Play, Kilk and Play

Troll_King
10-29-2001, 09:44 AM
I don't know how you would be able to write a game as a team effectively without OOP. You should design the game using UML diagrams and assign object components to different team members. It's not as difficult to integrate objects that support encapsulation than it is to build individual public functions. You guys should all have OOP experience and know how to build and read system diagrams. That amounts to reading about 2-3 books and practicing with a couple small projects. Also what API are you using? Direct-X? Win32? Just curious. This is what prevents me from joining such a group. I don't know windows programming yet. I sure hope you will not use DOS-VM, because that sucks. I'm waiting to learn windows programming with the .NET class framework library.

Aran
10-29-2001, 02:56 PM
DA: i dislike how you throw my age around as if it really matters... do i act like a 15 year old? just because you are two or three years older than me doesn't meen that you can lord over me like some mythical beast. One of the benefits of the internet is that you can't immediately be judged by age, you have to prove that you are mature and responsible. I'd like to keep this liberty.

So what, i'm 15, does that mean that its impossible for me to be more mature than most 18 year olds?

mfc2themax
10-29-2001, 03:04 PM
Why not just write the whole damn thing in Basic? or Fortran?

Natase
10-29-2001, 03:30 PM
If there's any use for a guy who's just about to finish his first year of C programming then I'd love to help... anything'll do... come on, guys... :(

Aran
10-29-2001, 03:34 PM
if you guys are doing an RTS, count me in, i've got some ideas and i can do some programming...

tell me what language you want me to learn and i will learn it.

Garfield
10-29-2001, 04:07 PM
I don't know what language. We all have to decide on this. I, personally, don't know OOP. After all, I'm a C programmer. Not C++. I know the basics as in how to write a class and access, but I'm not too familiar with inheritance and that whole bit.

Why do it in BASIC? After all, this is a c programming board. That only makes sense to do it in C/C++.

--Garfield

Garfield
10-29-2001, 04:08 PM
Oh, and I was thinking we can do Win32 API. We don't need the professional (well, not yet) graphics of DirectX or anything. How many know Windows programming? I'm learning it now. It's great, fun, and quite interesting! I recommend it.

--Garfield

-KEN-
10-29-2001, 04:39 PM
if it's API I'll DEFINATELY help. I love the API!

maes
10-29-2001, 04:39 PM
I know win32 api (basics,no mfc) haven't done anything with win32 graphics but I'm willing to learn I have charles petzold book so that should get me started. But if you guys want to do it in directx, as I said, I'm willing to learn

Garfield
10-29-2001, 07:10 PM
So do we decide on Win32 API? It has my vote.

So, let's compile a list of members:

-Generator
-DavidP
-Garfield
--KEN-
-maes

If I'm missing anybody (sorry!!!), or anybody (maybe just one more) else wants to join, reply to this thread. We can continue to discuss this game.

--Garfield

> I have charles petzold book
Yeah!!! Petzold rules!

Generator
10-29-2001, 07:41 PM
Im cool with the API:D What are we going to make? Lets get an idea for a game going too.

gamegod3001
10-29-2001, 07:57 PM
LMAO, you guys are goiing to do a game using the windows API. Hate to burst your bubbles, but that is crazy, its way to slow. Until dirextx came out games were still made it dos.

The V.
10-29-2001, 08:27 PM
It depends on how many frames you need to draw. WinAPI can achieve the 30 FPS that is used by many games, for many resolutions. Doing 320x240 or even 640x480 at 30 FPS is achievable using WinAPI. You certainly would try not to have to redraw the whole screen every frame, but even fully redrawing is possible, given how fast today's machines are.

Garfield
10-29-2001, 08:27 PM
> LMAO, you guys are goiing to do a game using the windows API. Hate to burst your bubbles, but that is crazy, its way to slow. Until dirextx came out games were still made it dos.

Okay, I guess this makes sense. Don't forget that we're not programming this multi-million game.

I guess we can go DOS. Unless all of us agree to learn DirectX (best be the same tutorial -- www.sunlightd.com) and then program it with that. That is probably the best thing to do. We'll learn something useful, too.

What do you guys think?

--Garfield

DavidP
10-29-2001, 08:33 PM
I am gonna try and find the main Liero home page (i used to know where it was...now i gotta find it again), and ask the guy for his code. Maybe he will let us work on a Liero 2.

Garfield
10-30-2001, 05:53 AM
> I am gonna try and find the main Liero home page (i used to know where it was...now i gotta find it again), and ask the guy for his code. Maybe he will let us work on a Liero 2.

Good idea! Tell him that a group of programmers from cprogramming.com admired his game and wanted to continue with writing a sequel to it. Just so he doesn't think that we're trying to rip him off.

--Garfield

gamegod3001
10-30-2001, 07:36 AM
You do relize that there are already two lerio 2 games in development.

I love to help but I have way to much to learn first.

oskilian
10-30-2001, 09:16 AM
You can count on me if you want to, but I'm learning DirectX, I even bought two books, so I wouldn't be able to help if you wanna make it in OpenGL.

I'm good at C++, classes, exception handling, etc, and I would seriously recommend using these, they are extremely helpful

Oskilian

-KEN-
10-30-2001, 03:05 PM
Yeah, but I wouldn't count me in. I've been swamped with homework and other stuff lately, so I doubt I'd ever work on it. I know OpenGL fairly well, actually...oh well, wish I could help! but I can't...

Aran
10-30-2001, 03:20 PM
count me in, guys, i'll learn whatever we are going to work in..,.

I think we should look for a good wrapper for dX to make our lives easier... if not, we can always just go with raw dX, although i don't see why we would if there is a better option.

Garfield
10-30-2001, 03:56 PM
> just go with raw dX

Let's do this. Okay, everybody reply to who's in.

Continue on to this list:

-Garfield
(now add your name if you're on)

--Garfield

Garfield
10-30-2001, 03:57 PM
So, we all agree on DirectX, right? It's not like we have a deadline to write this program, so we can all take our time learning DirectX (raw) and then program the game. And, we'll learn something too!

--Garfield

maes
10-30-2001, 04:55 PM
> just go with raw dX

I'm in

Garfield
10-30-2001, 06:02 PM
So, now the list is (for learning DirectX and programming the game):

-Garfield
-maes
-Aran Elus
-DavidP
-Generator

Am I missing anybody? This sounds like a good team. So the question really has to be this:

Do we all agree that we are going to learn DirectX to program this game?

--Garfield

DavidP
10-30-2001, 06:07 PM
DirectX!!!! Yes...DirectX.

>You do relize that there are already two lerio 2 games in development.

Yes I do know that, but it has "been under development" by several trillion different people over the past several years. The original Liero creator abandoned it, the the guy working on one right now is hardly working on it. So its our turn to step up and show them what CBoard programmers can do.

DavidP
10-30-2001, 08:22 PM
I emailed Joosa, the Liero creator, for his code. I explained to him that we would keep this project silent until it was finished, and that we would not show the code to anybody except other team members if he gave it to us. Hopefully he will let us have the code.

ggs
10-30-2001, 09:24 PM
I will join your evil programming collective... I'm already in another game programming project, but I suspect the programming required for this will be a lot different from what I'm doing already... and the actually coding probably won't start for a while :(

I say you should skip the design phase and see what you can make! An rpg with space invaders and space ships with hulking japanese street fighters and guns!

Aran
10-30-2001, 09:28 PM
I say we make an RTS using my RPG system as a basis for combat and unit/leader development.

ggs
10-30-2001, 09:38 PM
seriously, games [developed online] that are in design for over a month will almost never be completed. games that take under 2 weeks to design and move into the coding stage have the best chances of being done...

because design docs are addictive... make you slow and lazy, and 'finish the doc'...

oskilian
10-30-2001, 09:56 PM
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

count me in!
(well, if you want to, I cant MAKE you count me in)

oskilian@hotmail.com
oskilian@junkmail.com

Yeah!

DirectX IM, do you all have the SDK, and which version are you(we, hopefully) gonna use?

Oskilian

Aran
10-30-2001, 09:58 PM
where exactly can i get the SDK from?

any good sites that have tutorials for DX?

DavidP
10-30-2001, 10:02 PM
sdk is found at:

www.microsoft.com/directx

oskilian
10-30-2001, 10:05 PM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx

you can get Version 8.0a, but I think that as soon as version 9 comes out, we'll have to restart

you can download the SDK for free!, and it's just about 140Mb !!!
(took me abouth a month to download)

as for tutorials, you can see the examples which come in the SDK, they are very good to learn from, I learnt Windows programming with those tutorials! (well, the DirectX7.0a tutorials)

Oskilian

Oskilian