PDA

View Full Version : My virus scan

confuted
06-15-2003, 09:10 PM
I just downloaded the AVG Virus scanner and started running it... I'm laughing, because evidently I have this virus:
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/lsd.html

If I can find the filename for that, I'm making a backup. It looks like a funny virus.

SourceCode
06-15-2003, 09:13 PM
This is a very rare virus which displays a multi-coloured image.
haha love that.

confuted
06-15-2003, 09:15 PM
http://www.viruslibrary.com/virusinfo/LSD.1600.htm

Cancel that, I'm not backing it up...or running it. Why couldn't the first site have mentioned that?

confuted
06-15-2003, 09:41 PM
hmmm... virus scan finished, and on further inspection, it seems that I downloaded that virus off planetsourcecode.com, which is great, since they claim to scan everything.

Zach L.
06-15-2003, 09:44 PM
Perhaps their scanner had a bad trip. :D

alpha
06-15-2003, 11:43 PM
How do you like the AVG AV?

Xei
06-16-2003, 12:12 AM
Could you give me the link you used from planetsourcecode.com, please?

Oh, I have a favor to ask you. Time the virus, I want to see how efficient it is.

confuted
06-16-2003, 09:20 AM
AVG is pretty nice. Less than a 6mb d/l, try it out.

I can't give you a link because I downloaded it a long time ago, but I know it was from Planetsourcecode. I was downloading things off of there to learn how to do 3D effects and such, and was sticking them all in a directory. I also downloaded things like how to do the "plasma" effect that was popular when that was still a strain on the CPU. If you look at the first link, that is exactly what that virus does. It was saved in a zip file in the directory from planetsourcecode. It was a DOS program and I never ran it, so it's obvious that it didn't copy itself there somehow - would have been quite the random directory for it anyway. So, I can't prove it, and I've deleted the virus, but I know it came from planetsourcecode.

Nutshell
06-18-2003, 07:47 AM
AVG is free and it works, but its interface is not at all professional and logical though.

Brian
06-18-2003, 09:28 AM
I tested AVG last year. At least two of the trojan horse servers I downloaded were not detected by the program at all. It let me run them, and they were installed silently.

(optix pro i believe one was called).

Brian
06-18-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by blackrat364
AVG is pretty nice. Less than a 6mb d/l, try it out.

I can't give you a link because I downloaded it a long time ago, but I know it was from Planetsourcecode. I was downloading things off of there to learn how to do 3D effects and such, and was sticking them all in a directory. I also downloaded things like how to do the "plasma" effect that was popular when that was still a strain on the CPU. If you look at the first link, that is exactly what that virus does. It was saved in a zip file in the directory from planetsourcecode. It was a DOS program and I never ran it, so it's obvious that it didn't copy itself there somehow - would have been quite the random directory for it anyway. So, I can't prove it, and I've deleted the virus, but I know it came from planetsourcecode.

Maybe the virus writer stole code from this (non-destructive) project that you have downloaded, and the signitures made by AVG pick that similarity up and adopt a "better-safe-than-sorry" strategy"