PDA

View Full Version : Intelligence



Series X4 1.0
08-27-2001, 07:36 AM
Do you think that you're more intelligent than other people, that you're special or even 'different' because that you think different? It's a stupid question that will probably get pointless answers. And don't try to define intelligence or anything, that's not the interesting part, it won't lead anywhere. Just give me an honest answer what you think about yourself.

I have no idea, but mathematically, it would be unlikely if I was more intelligent than other people only because I believe I was - so I can't believe that. 'Everybody' can't be smarter than most other people only because they believe they are - it doesn't matter what people believe because it's very likely that they are wrong anyway. So I can't believe what I think about myself, I can't believe what others believe either. People are telling me that I'm more intelligent than other people though (including themselves (?)). So how can they even judge me? I don't get further.

Only because people lie all the time. :(

BTW, this reminds me of Sunlight. Maybe he could say something smart in this situation.

ggs
08-27-2001, 07:41 AM
You're always smarter than someone else, and someone else is always smarter than you. At least, from your perspective.

Govtcheez
08-27-2001, 07:41 AM
I think people are more intelligent in different ways. For instance, many people I know know lots more about things like literature, but I know more things about math and computers. We focus on different things as we grow and learn - if I had concentrated on literature, I'd probably know mroe about that, as well. However, I didn't - I concentrated more on hard sciences, so I know more about that. I think it all depends on what we've focused on.

nvoigt
08-27-2001, 09:10 AM
hmmm.... intelligence.

That depends on how you define intelligence. People tend to
view intelligence as a mixture of knowledge and logic.
Look at those IQ test... knowledge and logic.

I am perceived as knowlegable in some subjects like computers
and math stuff and very logically, to a point where it's annoying.

As always, a good mixture of both is neccessary.
Knowlegde without logical reasoning is worthless.
Logic without facts to base it on is equally worthless.

A comment that I very much enjoyed was:
"I don't like to play nv's opponent... he doesn't make mistakes"
overheard at one of our bi-weekly Axis&Allies games :)

People always try to evaluate each others intelligence.
This will always be incorrect. You can do test of logical reasoning.
But knowledge is always subjective. No one can know it all.
Everybody knows something, but not everything is important.

Is someone less intelligent because he knows about the mating
habits of kangaroos instead of computer programming ? Hardly.

I think history is quite important. It scares me how little people
know about history. I'm not talking of school grades here.

I also know people who seem to measure your intelligence
in words per minute. I don't like talking so much. It's a way of
communicating. If a small but precise sentence is all that's
needed, why make a whole 10 minute conversation out of it.

I can chat with someone for fun, or I can talk to someone
seriously. Don't mix that up please. If I need an info, I don't
need a whole chat, I need exactly that, an info. The shortest,
most precise way possible. If that is done, we can chat as long
as my chatpartner likes.
Do anything else and I will perceive you as less intelligent.
You can be the next Einstein, but that is one of my topmost
criteria for intelligence. If you can't seperate information
interchange and chatting, you lost some respect with me :p


IQ tests are very subjective. Most of them are in english on the
net. So it's not only an IQ, but also an english test for all of us
non-native speakers out here. And you'd be surprised how hard
it can be to find out if SDFIWH reorganized gives an animal, city
or river, if you have to do it with foreign cities, rivers and animals.

Test: Does these characters form
a) a european town
b) a european river
c) a european animal
d) a european plant
in german ?

UBERSELS

(* hint: yes, you HAVE to rearrange them *)

Theologian
08-27-2001, 09:29 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm a genius.

Unregistered
08-27-2001, 10:01 AM
OK. I agree with many things.

Anyway,


I think history is quite important. It scares me how little people know about history. I'm not talking of school grades here.


Why is it more important than anything else? For some reason I'm not very interested in history. The older it gets, the more boring it gets as well. Many people admire old things, they can be interested in an old pyramid, while they won't even look at the new skyscraper in their own town - when in fact, the latter is far more advanced in all possible ways.

In a similiar way, I'm not impressed by a monkey that can write its own name when I've already seen people doing that my whole life. I don't get it.

Hannwaas
08-27-2001, 10:39 AM
I'm more intelligent than most other people.

rick barclay
08-27-2001, 12:33 PM
Intelligent people are good at whatever they do, whether it be
baseball, playing a guitar, or coding. They just have a knack
for picking things up a little faster and a little more competently
than the rest of us. It's a very recognizeable trait.

rick barclay

greenRoom
08-27-2001, 02:20 PM
Yes, history is -very- important. But, honestly, i admit i'm very bad with history; however I feel that there are important things that can be learned from history (learning from people's mistakes and so forth). I'm definitely going to study some history though (for personal interest; not taking classes but just reading books on my own), because i wan't to hear -stories- from the past (and i'm sure there are -many-); and not just u.s. history but -world- history. I have actually read some books on east-asian history and it really changed me outlook on that region (motivating me to learn more about other places as well like india, africa, places in europe etc..). I hope that many of you out there don't just invest your learning on straight sciences but other subjects as well; it
-will- make you more intelligent. Another thing, in many ways intelligence is -earned- and not given (imo).

ehsiq
08-27-2001, 04:21 PM
i think that intelligence is the ability to solve problems and find
the hidden links in a very difficult problem... you know, genious...

so i can hardly see how a man that is good in history is intelligent
just because he is good in history.

if you are intelligent you must be good not in everything you do
(as rick said) but good in things that requires brain activity!

so, i think that i can easily say if someone is intelligent or not if i
talk with him, but i am not a racist!

i think that i am smart, smarter than the average
i am also a MENSA member (but usually people take this as a bad
thing to say)

i also think that people who programs are also very very smart...
and i think that here in this forum there are many persons smarter
than me.

mix0matt
08-27-2001, 04:56 PM
intelligence is knowing when to shut your mouth, sit back, and nod...

mxr

Flarelocke
08-27-2001, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by ehsiq
i think that intelligence is the ability to solve problems and find
the hidden links in a very difficult problem... you know, genious...

so i can hardly see how a man that is good in history is intelligent
just because he is good in history.

if you are intelligent you must be good not in everything you do
(as rick said) but good in things that requires brain activity!Quite true. One minor point--for intelligent people, everything requires brain activity. Running isn't moving one foot in front of the other as fast as possible, it's finding the optimum efficiency of your own body. It's not punching someone as hard as you can, it's using as much of your body as you can to hit while leaving as little as possible vulnerable. It's not endless practice to improve your drawing abilities, it's learning the proportions of the human body sufficiently well.
so, i think that i can easily say if someone is intelligent or not if i talk with him, but i am not a racist!

i think that i am smart, smarter than the average
i am also a MENSA member (but usually people take this as a bad
thing to say)Heh. MENSA. I could pass the Mensa entrace exam(120 IQ, I think) blindfolded, double amputated, sleep deprived, and under the influence of illegal psychoactive drugs. And I'm modest, too... :)

The thing I find about IQ tests is that people with high scores(130+) very rarely strike me as unintelligent, whereas people with low scores(100-) strike me as intelligent almost never.(I decline to say never because I don't know the IQ scores of people I find intelligent).

Fortunately, I've come to the point finally where I can just accept the difference between my own mind and others' minds.

rick barclay
08-27-2001, 09:06 PM
>if you are intelligent you must be good not in everything you do
(as rick said) but good in things that requires brain activity!<

Siq, it seems to me that anything that requires intelligence
requires brain activity--and vice versa. Scientists generally
regard intelligence as a measure of how a person adapts
to his environment, his ability to make changes in his own
behavior, or to change the enviroment in which he finds
himself, or even his ability to find an entirely new environment
if necessary.
Your interpretation of intelligence as an ability to solve problems
is correct only in relation to one type of brain activity. There is a
clear distinction between the analytical, or what scientists call
convergent type of thinking that you espouse and another
mode of thought, called divergent thinking which encompasses
a richness of ideas and originality of thought. Both are necessary
to creative performance, although in different degrees according
to the task or occupation. A mathemetician or a programmer
might exhibit more converrgent than divergent thinking and an
artist and historian the opposite.

My statement regarding intelligent people being good at every-
thing they do is a generalisation based on personal observance,
and it is a proposition I still maintain. Most, if not all "intelligent"
or "smart" people are good at everything to which they apply
themselves.

rick barclay

Nick
08-27-2001, 09:51 PM
>> People are telling me that I'm more intelligent than other people though >>(including themselves (?)). So how can they even judge me? I don't get further.

It's obvious do something stupid, now you needn't do anything that will hurt your GPA, just need to something that will take down your percieved level of intelligence. It doesn't have to be with math or science just do something without common sense or something "smart people" wouldn't normally do.



Here's an example, you might wear glasses (meeting the geek image) then forget

your glasses one day. People will either think your stupid for not

reconizing their name or for forgeting your glasses!

Fool
08-28-2001, 06:37 AM
I think I'm intellegent it some areas but not most. What does common sense account for?:D

-Fool

Theologian
08-28-2001, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by rick barclay
>if you are intelligent you must be good not in everything you do
(as rick said) but good in things that requires brain activity!<

My statement regarding intelligent people being good at every-
thing they do is a generalisation based on personal observance,
and it is a proposition I still maintain. Most, if not all "intelligent"
or "smart" people are good at everything to which they apply
themselves.

rick barclay

Yeah- like that Steven Hawking guy. Not only is he a super smart brain guy- but he can run like the wind! And if you've ever seen him whittle. Look out.

errr, wait a second.

ehsiq
08-28-2001, 09:32 AM
to Flarelocke
the iq required to pass the MENSA test is 148.

to rick
not everything needs to be smart so that you be good at it!
for example, like history or basketball...
training and reading. of course if you are smart you may be
find some tecniques that can help you, still there are people
that can run faster because their body is in better fysical condition
than the others. or some people has the ability to learn
something just by reading it. still, it doesn' make them smarter.
perhaps gifted in some other way, but not smarter.

Witch_King
08-28-2001, 09:39 AM
I won't say what I think intelligence should be but instead I would rather say something about intelligence.

It is a denial of the truth of oneself.

ehsiq
08-28-2001, 11:00 AM
>>I won't say what I think intelligence should be but instead I would rather say something about intelligence.

It is a denial of the truth of oneself.<<

lol...but this is exactly what you are doing...this is what you
think intelligence is.... it is not something about intelligence...

avyway, maybe it is because of my bad english, i did not
understand what you are trying to say...
what does "oneself" means????

rick barclay
08-28-2001, 11:40 AM
Siq, you're mis-interpreting me. Perhaps I can say it
another way. First and formeost I never said or meant
in any way to say that a person needs to be "smart"
in order to be good at anything in particular.

All I said was that most all people I know and know of and
consider to be intelligent or highly intelligent are skillful in
most anything they attempt.

Tell me, please, anybody, who do you know who is very
good at something and otherwise is a moron? (I know--me :rolleyes: ).

Ask yourself, Siq--all the intelligent people you know, including
yourself--are they not good at everything they attempt? And
the not so smart ones, what about them--down at the bottom
at just about everything? A dumb person who is good at
anything is the exception, not the rule. Obviously, someone
who weighs 300 kilos most probably won't run in the Olympics
anytime soon, but give that 660-pounder some intelligence
and put him up against another dumber person of the same
weight and let's see who wins the race.

And Theologian, that goes for Steven Hawking, as well--all
things phsicallly equal, I'd bet on Hawking. Take team sports
as another example. How many of you have witnessed a
soccer match where one team was obviously physically
superior to another, yet the smaller, slower team won because
they played "smarter?" How many matches have you seen
where two evenly matched teams played and the team that
won was the team that played smarter. Coaches teach
intelligence. They encourage their players not only to be
phisically skillful, but to be mentally skillful, too.

Intelligence is the great equalizer. It allows the physically
unendowed to compete with those more gifted. A person
who is unendowed and unintelligent stands no chance
whatsoever. It's the law of the jungle and it's played out
everyday, everywhere, in every conceivable manner.

rick barclay

Theologian
08-28-2001, 11:41 AM
Don't worry Ehsiq, it is not your lack of understanding of english. It is more that the statement does not make any sense.

>It is a denial of the truth of oneself

Intelligence has to with an ability to think in abstract, non immediate ways. It involves thought and reason. To say that intelligence denies truth then implies that the lack of intelligence is the presence of truth.

I don't think so.

Witch_King
08-28-2001, 11:47 AM
I don't consider English broad enough.

And as far as intelligence goes, it is different for everyone because it is a personal feeling. You can't seriously think that you can define it and everyone will agree?

From my point of view, intelligence is a flaw and a weakness as it applies to people.

Natase
10-03-2001, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Witch_King
From my point of view, intelligence is a flaw and a weakness as it applies to people.

So you subscribe to the theory that humans are destined to basically f**k everything up due to their insanely greater intelligence with regard to the other lifeforms on this planet?

If so...... I salute you, good man :)

ober
10-03-2001, 06:54 AM
Not to sound cocky, but I'm smarter than all you guys combined...

****... sleeping at work again... :o

mithrandir
10-03-2001, 07:03 AM
Intelligence means squat if you aren't going to use it.

Koshare
10-03-2001, 09:20 AM
intelligence can be attained artificially, I am very smart in comparison to many of my pears(not here though), and I make myself smarter by keeping my mouth shut.

oh, and if you want to be VERY smart when it comes to english learn Etymology. I know the meaning of words that I have never heard, because I know how to peace words together.

adrianxw
10-03-2001, 10:52 AM
>>> I am very smart in comparison to many of my pears

I generally consider myself to be smarter than most pieces of fruit!

>>> when it comes to english learn Etymology

... and ...

>>> how to peace words together.

So what is the etymological derivation of the word peace here?

DARFC!!! ;-)

ober
10-03-2001, 11:06 AM
DARFC?? define please!?

Soccer_Mom
10-03-2001, 12:10 PM
I guess I would like to think that intelligence requires much more responsibility than just being smart.

I think that many many people are smart, i.e. know lots of facts, good in many subjects, can solve problems.

However I feel that intelligence requires the responsibility and wisdom in using those smarts and other talents.

I know many people who are smart...they can take tests, and get 100%'s and what not, but I would say that there is a far number less who are intelligent.

Koshare
10-03-2001, 12:23 PM
lol, i learned etymology not spelling hehe.

rick barclay
10-03-2001, 12:40 PM
He, he. Nice comeback...but not nice enough.

rick barclay

Koshare
10-03-2001, 01:33 PM
So what is the etymological derivation of the word peace here?

DARFC!!! ;-)

etymological is not the right word,

e -ti -mo - lo - gi - cal

etylogical is the right word
e -ti - lo - gi -cal


HAHAHAHA! MUHAHAHA LOL YOU ARE WRONG LOL!!!!!! ARGGHHHHH!!!!! DIE DIE DIE~!~

the m is added to etymology because of certain rules, ety ends with a y so the rule is add a m if you are adding ology.
ety is the root, rather then etymo.

how do you like that hotshot HUH?


so if you have the root word SPY-isnt really a good choice though
it would not be spyology it would be Spymology
spymological?
spylogical would be the word it sounds funny at first but it isnt after a while...

versus the word bio which ends with an o
biomolology?
biomological?

biological
biology

did i win? do i get a prize?

also you had derivation in the sentence
in the context (con means together) you used derivation it should have been derivative.

your sentence properly written should be :

So, what is the etylogical derivative of the word peace here?


3 mistakes, you get a D, I hope your parents are proud! you just barely passed etymology class.

adrianxw
10-04-2001, 02:04 AM
ober5861:

DARFC - Ducks And Runs For Cover ... or similar

http://home3.inet.tele.dk/hgaarde/Acronyms.html

If your interested!

Koshare:

LOL! But...

>>>
One entry found for etymology.

Main Entry: etymology
Pronunciation: -jE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -gies
Etymology: Middle English ethimologie, from Latin etymologia, from Greek, from etymon + -logia -logy
Date: 14th century

1 : the history of a linguistic form (as a word) shown by tracing its development since its earliest recorded occurrence in the language where it is found, by tracing its transmission from one language to another, by analyzing it into its component parts, by identifying its cognates in other languages, or by tracing it and its cognates to a common ancestral form in an ancestral language

2 : a branch of linguistics concerned with etymologies
- etymological /-m&-'l-ji-k&l/ adjective
- etymologically /-k(&-)lE/ adverb
<<<

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary.htm

>>> 3 mistakes, you get a D, I hope your parents are proud!

Errr, you were saying? !!!!!!!

Koshare
10-04-2001, 01:56 PM
ety - is the root in my etymology book... just checked, dictionarys have many flaws, and their are differences from each one, I have looked in my world book dictionary(1985) and ety is the root...

mfc2themax
10-04-2001, 05:27 PM
i is the most smartest human on planet earth

Carlos
10-05-2001, 02:03 AM
Intelligence is genetical.

Eastern cultures believe that it's a reflection of all your experiences and knowledges from your past lives. I tend to accept this explanation, as it sounds logical.

What you learn further on, makes you what you are presently.
One can be master or evil, it depends on the social-economical-political environment.

Oh, btw, you probably heard that there's very tiny difference between a genius and a madman (like balancing on the ledge :D).

It's an art to keep both your soul, body and mind healthy
( Mens sana in corpore sano ). That's what wise men can do, the so called middle-of-the-road.

...so stop sitting in front of your monitors, and go out in the nature! :D

rick barclay
10-05-2001, 03:06 PM
(Gets up. Goes to bathroom. WZZZZZZZZ. Returns to computer.
Sits down.)

Now. Where were we?

rick barclay

doubleanti
10-05-2001, 05:28 PM
> WZZZZZZZZZ...

well said...

i hereby reveal my position as the dumbest person in the universe... you are all smarter than me... hoorah for your smarty MENSA pants...

[critical test above!]

Carlos
10-08-2001, 02:18 AM
I took the red pill :D


Humanoid
Model 72 IInd generation
RFT* (c) (tm) G.O.D.
- available in 4 base colors (Red, White, Black, Yellow)
and any combinations of these
- organic case
- battery lifetime ~65 years +/- 25% (needs daily recharge)
- neuronal memoriter storage strategy (c) C.O.R.T.E.X. industries
- intelligence factor 40-200 (base model IQ = 100) not upgradable*
- stimulus speed ~120mph
- average motoric reaction speed 10 ms (chemical mechanism)
- self-distruct ability implemented**
- no shields


*Real Feelings Technology, introduces some instability and higher degree of psychical malfunctions
**security reasons

Zewu
05-18-2002, 07:26 AM
I have thought alot about intelligence since the day I began school. I then saw that other kids had problems understanding what I considered as formalities, such as writing and reading.

I don't want to brag about myself, but I'd say I belong to the 15%most intelligent part of the population.

Although, I am not really pleased with my intelligence. I have examined it alot, and I have come to the following conclution:

*I succeed in maths, but I am not really natural gifted in it. Example: I couldn't write the formula for calculating the volume of a ball, but I sure can remember it, once I've seen it.

*I am good at linguistics, I learned reading and writing early, and I rarely spell incorrectly.

*I am really good at general knowledge, there is where my real strength is. I would say I belong to the top 1% of the population in this.

Although, I think that maths is what is important; mathematicians are the ones who work for the future, just look at Einstein.

I also strongly believe in that intelligence is hereditary, and thus, I also believe that different peoples, especially those who have lived isolated, in general have the same kinds of intelligence among it's population.

I am Swedish, and I believe that "Swedish" people (the ones who are descended from Vikings), are good in maths, average at linguistics, and bad at general knowledge. Simply, the opposite from what I am.

I think I have to thank my dad, who mainly descends from Wallons, for being so good at general knowledge.

I also think that my intelligence has been overastimated because of that I know things others don't know much about, example: I know all capital cities in Europe.

My point is that I just live and I can learn things already acknowledged by humanity, but I can't acknowledge new things, therfore, I think that people who are good in maths are the most important ones for humanity.

This post has been very self-centered, and I also want to say that I find this topic very interesting.