PDA

View Full Version : Tutoring classmates

damonbrinkley
06-10-2003, 08:04 PM
I was asked by a classmate in my C Programming class if I would be willing to tutor him because he's really struggling. He told me to 'name my price' but I have no idea how much most tutors charge. Does anyone here tutor now or in the past and how much did you charge?

golfinguy4
06-10-2003, 08:21 PM
Is it a she or he? If it's a she, the charge doesn't have to be monetary.;)

JK, seriously though, if it isn't a good chunk of time (like more than a couple hours a week), I wouldn't charge at all. If you are going to charge though, consider the person's financial situation. If the person isn't exactly a relative of Bill Gates and is stuggling to pay for college, take that into account and try to keep the fee as low as possible. If the person is dressed in Armani head to toe, the fee could be a little higher.

RoD
06-10-2003, 09:23 PM
>>JK, seriously though, if it isn't a good chunk of time (like more than a couple hours a week), I wouldn't charge at all.

Ditto. I wouldnt charge anything less its a inconvienence or they aren't focusing or making it difficult. With a difficult person one hour feels like four, charge like it heh.

if this is high school dont teach outside the classes scope, that caused me alot of probs with my teacher this year.

confuted
06-11-2003, 12:07 AM
I've tutored a lot of kids in a lot of subjects - mostly math and science stuff though. I've never charged, although sometimes I'd wished I had. Really, I guess it depends on how much you like the person.

AProg
06-11-2003, 04:25 AM
Well...
If you are going to tutor a good friend, don't ask for money.
But if you are going to tutor someone unknown, the more services you offer the more money you should get.
If you are good in teaching the others on how to program, i suggest you to make it $20 per lesson.

damonbrinkley
06-11-2003, 06:55 AM
I'm not real sure if I'm going to do it because of a few reasons.

1. I live 30 minutes away from school and my class is Tues & Thur from 5:30 to 9:00. I work from 7:30 to 4:30 on days I have class so I can't do it before class. I'm not going to drive 30 min to tutor someone unless I'm getting paid

2. He actually told me he had taken a C++ class and didn't really pay attention :rolleyes: I'm not real sure how he passed it but I hope he doesn't expect me to basically do his work for him

3. He sits in class and chats on AIM and plays games during the lecture so I'm not real sure it's worth it.

hk_mp5kpdw
06-11-2003, 07:27 AM
Set the ground-rules. Ask him what he expects you to provide through these tutoring sessions and explain exactly what you would be willing to provide.

adrianxw
06-11-2003, 07:38 AM
I've never charged anyone for help. For further details, send $20... JK!

>>> sits in class and chats on AIM and plays games during the lecture

... and...

>>> had taken a C++ class and didn't really pay attention

... would tend to suggest...

>>> expect me to basically do his work for him

I would have no time for someone like that. Someone not prepared to help themselves is not going to benefit from real tutoring, so set a high price. Watch he doesn't get the parents to pay. They pay, he does bad = you are bad tutor regardless of crap lazy good for nothing student.

damonbrinkley
06-11-2003, 08:11 AM
I agree Adrian. That's why I believe I'll offer to help him through email if he needs any push in the right direction but I don't have time to sit down and try to help someone that's not even trying to help theirselves. If he was busting his butt and still wasn't understanding things then I wouldn't charge anything and would be more than glad to help.

Xei
06-11-2003, 10:49 AM
Just tell him to come here, we'll straighten him out.

Perspective
06-11-2003, 02:37 PM
teaching someone who doesnt want to learn is very difficult... anywho, i used to make $15/h tutoring math.

major_small
06-11-2003, 07:38 PM
i was going to tutor a friend from my C++ class, but i didn't really accept... i kinda became the teacher for 3 students in my class and now one of them is at the top of the class, the other isn't doing too bad... but he was doing REALLY bad before i helped... now their both using code to annoy (and confuse) the teacher...

it generally isn't a good idea to go outside the scope of the class, but if the teacher's cool (like mine is) then it'll be fine as long as they understand it...

my teacher jokingly yells at me for teaching them code that she doesn't understand and complicating things with pointless code... and she blames me when the code i taught them doesn't work... it's kinda fun... I'm going to miss that class... only one day left...

Perspective
06-12-2003, 10:26 AM
it generally isn't a good idea to go outside the scope of the class,

ack! i cant believe im reading this. its not that i dont believe what your saying its just a horrible thing if the teacher doesnt support someone's extra learning. i think ive gone beyond the scope of the class in every (practicle programming) cmput class ive taken...
of course, i didnt have the benifit of taking programming classes in high school.

the Wookie
06-12-2003, 04:02 PM
yes i went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond scope. the teacher (no offense to her of course, shes an awesome teacher) is sort of dolt, she doesn tknow that much about c++. i have no idea how ap comp.sci next year will survive. its not that she didnt support, she just got a bit annoyed when people went so far ahead. oh well.

Xei
06-12-2003, 06:50 PM
It's not that teachers are dolts all the time, but with 80 programming assignments a day, deciphering can get quite annoying... especially with students who don't actually know any correct methods for anything (its more like trial and error for them).

the Wookie
06-13-2003, 10:38 AM
well there was 1 programming class this year iirc, but the teacher is a dolt. :rolleyes:

i usually help people out, but several people who hae no idea (dont do anything during class) who ask me, i just tell them to look it up. other people ill actually take time to explain it.