PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh, another newbie...

TFOV
10-27-2001, 07:56 PM
Whats up, I'm the new guy. On my very first post here as a cprogramming.com member/user/whatever, I would like to ask to whom it may concern what is a good book to learn alot of stuff about Windows 2000. Or XP pro, heck, or both. I'm currently majoring in Software Engineering and I have alot of time on my hands, so I wanna learn some OS's while I'm not programming and playing videogames :)

I've checked many of the thousands offered at amazon.com and I found two that seemed interesting. But since I've noticed that most of you intelligent folk here at cprogramming.com have had some interesting discussions about it, i figured I'd ask you.

Thanks in advance, and Devil May Cry rules :D

oskilian
10-27-2001, 08:03 PM
Now, the real question is: "Do people need a book to learn to use Windows?"

Oskilian

Fordy
10-27-2001, 08:09 PM
I've got "Windows 2000 - the complete reference" from Osbourne (McGraw Hill). Its a big old book and covers some indepth stuff like Active Dir.....

Though I must admit that its on my shelf under "Will read when I've got time". I just have so many other things I am playing with at the moment. OS setup/administration is on the backburner.

Actually its sat there next to a similar book called "Linux - the complete reference"

Oh for more time in the day......

TFOV
10-27-2001, 08:11 PM
Ummm, yeah I think so. I want to do some network adminstrating type of stuff(after I learn how)and programming. I'm pretty sure one or two of you on this site had to consult a reference about Win2k or XP due to a "WTF!" moment. Have you, Oskilian?

Fordy
10-27-2001, 08:15 PM
Once you are happy with the admin stuff....

For programming;

Programming Windows - Charles Petzold

Windows Programming from the ground up - Herb Schildt.....

Aran
10-27-2001, 08:18 PM
i've gotta get a windows programming book.... yum, windows...

Null Shinji
10-27-2001, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by TFOV
Ummm, yeah I think so. I want to do some network adminstrating type of stuff(after I learn how)and programming. I'm pretty sure one or two of you on this site had to consult a reference about Win2k or XP due to a "WTF!" moment. Have you, Oskilian? ....... I 'vent used a single manual ever!!!! NEVER.... Manuals or books = THE DEVIL!!!! LOL

jajajaja its more interesting and useful when you learn by yourself

oskilian
10-27-2001, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by TFOV
Ummm, yeah I think so. I want to do some network adminstrating type of stuff(after I learn how)and programming. I'm pretty sure one or two of you on this site had to consult a reference about Win2k or XP due to a "WTF!" moment. Have you, Oskilian?

well, I haven't used XP, but 2k wasn't that tough, and I have used all 4 editions(Professional, Server, Advanced Server and Datacenter) at their maximum power and it's not that hard, Microsoft makes things easier for you to use the computer, I haven't seen anything really tough (well, in windows, linux or unix are a different story)

Oskilian

TFOV
10-27-2001, 08:31 PM
Well, here is an example of why im looking for a book. A guy in the Operating Systems class sent a message to all computers in my class saying "Nintendo rules". I asked on a few message boards how to do it, and came to the conclusion, how the hell was I supposed to figure that one out on my own? I do believe it was something like this: 'net send /domain:domain name nintendo rules' i think.

Fordy
10-27-2001, 08:38 PM
You cant learn everything from guessing. If you use online help, or instruction what difference is thatfrom getting a book.

>>A guy in the Operating Systems class sent a message to all computers in my class saying "Nintendo rules".

Sounds like a network announcement sent on UDP. Netware (well most network suites offer a similar option) allows you access to announce if you have the privilage. I dont administer any decent networks so I am unfimiliar with the specific command

TFOV
10-27-2001, 08:49 PM
I dont know if the guy was using netware. I do know that after he sent it, a guy in my class opened up a dos window(console?) and typed in some stuff(the net send thing im assuming) and then he did it. I asked him how to do it, and he said he wasnt telling.

Fordy
10-27-2001, 08:53 PM
>>I asked him how to do it, and he said he wasnt telling.

LOL - network trolls.......

You would need to know your OS's and network. Also if this was a proper announcement (not some home socket project) you would need the rights to do so.....

oskilian
10-27-2001, 09:28 PM
yeah, net send does it, try using net send's help

or use

NET HELP

By the way, I'm not against looking at help files, I'm just against using books to learn windows

oh, and that's with WinNT, or Win2k (the same thing)

Oskilian

Fordy
10-27-2001, 09:44 PM
>>By the way, I'm not against looking at help files, I'm just against using books to learn windows

Interesting.... then how do you learn the detailed stuff like availible protocols, Policies, services etc

oskilian
10-27-2001, 09:51 PM
by lookin at the help file, and if it's not there (most times), I just experiment with the command, or with the program

but don't start to think bad of me, that's just my way of doing things, I think a book is expensive enough(shipping is VERY expensive). so I just buy really necessary books

Oskilian

Fordy
10-27-2001, 09:57 PM
>>by lookin at the help file, and if it's not there (most times), I just experiment with the command, or with the program

Fair enough, but expense aside, getting info from help is not different than using books. I though you were recommending someone not use any reference and to learn by experimentation only......this is a little optimistic for any subject other than those that are immediately straightforward.

Personally, I prefer books to learn from than trying to read and absorbe info from the screen. If this is expensive then there are always librararies ;)

TFOV
10-27-2001, 10:10 PM
On my lunch break, I sneak off to Barnes & Noble. They let people just sit in there and read the books for free. I even see people sipping on coffee and eating donuts as if they were at home. Maybe I could check out the books you guys suggested and read em for free at Barnes & Noble. They don't seem to mind...

Oh yeah, and shipping at amazon.com is like $3.00USD. Thats acceptable for a book.

Fordy
10-27-2001, 10:16 PM
>>Oh yeah, and shipping at amazon.com is like $3.00USD

Yeah, but god knows what that is for Columbia.......

Its quite cheap at amazon.co.uk too. The discounts on the books are much more than the shipping. I got a book the other day that was 8 cheaper than the price on the high street. Shipping was about 3, so I saved a fiver. Aside from this I like the availability..... Such a huge stock...none of that "well order it and you can get iin 3 weeks" only to find that the book is not really what you're after

Nick
10-28-2001, 12:21 AM
I dont know if the guy was using netware. I do know that after he sent it, a guy in my class opened up a dos window(console?) and typed in some stuff(the net send thing im assuming) and then he did it. I asked him how to do it, and he said he wasnt telling.

Yeah our teacher let us do this sort of stuft in hi school until
some one learned our to write a batch file calling send.
Try send /?

Garfield
10-28-2001, 06:15 AM
> jajajaja its more interesting and useful when you learn by yourself

Then, how did you learn to program with no books or classes?

Generator
10-28-2001, 10:19 AM
>>network adminstrating type of stuff<<

It seems cool to begin with, but it get's old quick... real quick. Never again will I take a job where I administer a system. Unless it's the BattleNet servers ;) Write a program and get the hell out that's what I say. I miss the good old day's when I was installing stuff and going to a new customer site every day. I like stuff like that. Although, if I ever won the lottery, I would be happy sitting on my ass at a beach in Hawaii or Chile some where.