PDA

View Full Version : A+ Certification

confuted
06-08-2003, 09:00 PM
What do you guys think about A+ Certification? I'm 17, but I think that I could probably pass the test, at least with a little bit of work. I would like some sort of computer related job for the summer, I don't really care what, but that's kind of hard to get. So, I was wondering, do you think that A+ Certification is worthwhile, and would it maybe also look good on a college application?

Xei
06-08-2003, 11:09 PM
A+ is definately worth it if you can pass the exam. It would look good on a College form, and it also looks good on a Resume :)

I am currently studying for my A+ Certification. For both exams it's about $500 CDN (220-221 & 220-222). The book I am studying from is "A+ Certification. Exam Guide - 4th Edition" - By Micheal Meyers. My first set of books was $150 by Exam Cram/Exam Prep 3rd Edition and I got 71% on #220-221, which is a fail. I find that Michael Meyers book goes further in depth, gives much better trouble-shooting opinions, and is overall more up-to-date. The book comes with software and a sample video. I got my book for $64 CDN with free shipping from Chapters(you can also purchase it from Amazon).

CompiledMonkey
06-09-2003, 08:42 AM
The A+ is like a HS diploma, it's understood. I wouldn’t waste the time. All you need to do is prove to whomever you can build and troubleshoot a PC. Instead of spending money and wasting time on that test, just give them a little demo.

Daniel
06-09-2003, 04:58 PM
I agree with CompiledMonkey. I am also 17 and currently work as a PC Tech. I got hired b/c of my skill not because of a piece of paper says I passed a test. Don't waste your time and money.

Xei
06-09-2003, 05:02 PM
There are many businesses that will not hire you as a computer technician unless if you are A+ Certified. It is, as stated, possible for them to 'test' your knowledge during an interview, but I'll still side with accomplishing my A+ first.

damonbrinkley
06-09-2003, 05:11 PM
I have my A+ cert and there are many companies out there that will either want you to already have your certification or it's mandatory for you to get it within a certain period after you're hired.

Xei
06-09-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by damonbrinkley
I have my A+ cert and there are many companies out there that will either want you to already have your certification or it's mandatory for you to get it within a certain period after you're hired.

Exactly. If you want proof here are some names of companies:

FutureShop
GECapital
London Drugs
ComputerCity

The list goes on and on. I consider those of you who have jobs as computer technicians without your A+ very very lucky that you even have that job.

major_small
06-09-2003, 07:17 PM
yeah... what compiledmonkey is saying is kinda like saying "i could pass high school if i wanted to, so i dont' need a diploma"

i think you should definately get it... and it doesn't matter anyway... you take it on an OS that will be outdated in a few years anyway...

i'm going to a institute of technology and i'm getting A+,inet,and network+ certification as a part of my required curriculum...

Xei
06-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by major_small
yeah... what compiledmonkey is saying is kinda like saying "i could pass high school if i wanted to, so i dont' need a diploma"

i think you should definately get it... and it doesn't matter anyway... you take it on an OS that will be outdated in a few years anyway...

i'm going to a institute of technology and i'm getting A+,inet,and network+ certification as a part of my required curriculum...

Ouch, wouldn't it be cheaper just to purchase afew books then take the tests? You'll end up paying for the equivilant of around 20+ exams that way. I know someone taking Network+ but i'm just curious why do people goto IT Colleges to learn that when a book can get them the same thing and the exam only costs afew hundred dollars.