PDA

View Full Version : Script

vasanth
06-07-2003, 09:25 PM
Did i say Skirt... ok sorry it was script:D:D:D

Well i already know the basic of ASP 3.0, can write simple DB app pages without any problem.. but not too good since spent only 1 week learning it..

Now i am really interested in scripting languages after i saw a buddy here post a PERL program for me...

I have a month or more of free time now (exams over..) and want to learn a scripting language.. which one would you recomend

ASP, PHP, PERL ??? and why.. and why not...

Thanks for your valuable advice in advance
Bye

Zach L.
06-07-2003, 09:39 PM
Hmm... Got my attention. ;)

I'd recommend Scheme... Its a cool little language and shouldn't take you too long.

Out of those three, I've always liked Perl.

Commander
06-07-2003, 09:44 PM
i'm working with ASP a little, PHP looks too comlicated....imo, asp works fine for everyday use.

BTW vasanth, which db r u using?

vasanth
06-07-2003, 10:59 PM
I have used both Access and Oracle for the DB connectivity...
Thanx for your reply guys.. but still not answered my question.. why and why not!!!! Thanx any way..

ygfperson
06-07-2003, 11:03 PM
PHP because it's widely used, and fairly user-friendly. Perl because it's powerful at manipulating strings, and even more widely used. Perl can get ugly, though. I don't know much about ASP.

vasanth
06-08-2003, 03:12 AM
thanx ther.. Ok i want to choose between Perl and PHP now.... Which one is widely used??? and as a career development which is better..

adrianxw
06-08-2003, 05:04 AM
>>> Perl can get ugly, though.

From the Gecko book, "sometimes Perl looks like line noise to the uninitiated", so true, it can be very ugly, once you've got used to it though, it is very powerful - I like Perl.

damonbrinkley
06-08-2003, 05:19 AM
If you want something along the lines of Perl then you should definitely try Python - www.python.org . It's a very good OOP interpreted language.

Sang-drax
06-08-2003, 05:21 AM
Omicron (http://www.strandmark.com/omicron.shtml) is a nice script language. It is extremly non-widely used, though. :D
It can be used as a web language (http://www.strandmark.com/omicron/webomicron.omicron)

Brian
06-08-2003, 06:20 AM
i've always been a perl fan. it's so easy, i use it every day for parsing files or internet stuff.

good points:
* very good for string manipulation.
* pretty easy to pick up.
* portable.
* good for sorting files out.
* normally quite fast.
* good internet support (I wrote an MSN chatbot in it before)
* it can be used for CGI.
* it can interface with databases such as Access and SQL.
* the variables are practically bullet-proof, they convert to different types automatically, and are easy to manipulate.

bad points:
* minimal multithreading support (although there is one small workaround).
* some odd ways of doing things. (you'll see if you learn it) @_; :)

vasanth
06-08-2003, 08:47 AM
Ok.. so do you guys mean to say.. Ditch PHP learn perl

Zach L.
06-08-2003, 09:11 AM
PHP is good too. Its more object oriented than Perl is (though Perl has a facilities for OOP, it can get kind of ugly). Brian's points are all very good though...

Overall, I'd go with Perl first.

damonbrinkley
06-08-2003, 10:27 AM
I've never messed with Perl but have heard many people say that it's good for small projects but gets quite ugly with anything large. Those folks suggested Python for larger projects so I've only used Python and it's extremely easy to learn.