PDA

View Full Version : How about a new Forum?

bookworm
06-07-2003, 05:44 AM
For the last couple of days,I've been trying my hand in .net,and belive me,the journey couldn't be more fun.I was involved in many other .net related forums,but today,I remembered of this,in which I've learned so much about C++.
I think it will be great if this site adds a .net forum in the Platform-based forums group.What do u say?

Fordy
06-07-2003, 06:17 AM
C++ .NET can be posted on the C++ board, and we already have a C# board.......the rest of the NET languages bear little resemblance to naitive C or C++.....

vasanth
06-07-2003, 06:22 AM
well we already have a C# board... may be it should be renamed as .NET board...

ygfperson
06-07-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by vasanth
ditto.

AProg
06-07-2003, 08:13 AM
.net forums are the usuall furoms?
This is a .net forum, isn't it?

-KEN-
06-07-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by AProg
.net forums are the usuall furoms?
This is a .net forum, isn't it?

...you obviously have no clue what .NET is...it's a programming platform.

Also, bookworm, lurk more. If you had done a search on old "omg can we have a new board for pokemon kthnxbai" threads you would have seen that it took hell and an annoying troll ("Hi, dean!") to get even a C# board.

Fordy
06-07-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by vasanth

Why?.......do ASP.NET or VB.NET questions have a place on a CBoard?

Anyway...the web has planety of NET resources....you just need to use them

vasanth
06-07-2003, 09:04 AM
wow atleast people here consider c# to be some what a part of C forum.. :D:D:D

AProg
06-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Ok, without careing if it is a .net forum or whatever, i believe that this site needs a new forum "General Programming", though it still has many good forums.

RoD
06-07-2003, 09:31 AM
not needed, MSDN is a wonderful thing

AProg
06-07-2003, 09:45 AM
Can you be a little more specific?

Fordy
06-07-2003, 11:18 AM
You want NET or other programming forums;

http://www.codeguru.com/forum/
http://www.vbforums.com/
http://www.codeproject.com/script/comments/forums.asp
http://www.programmersheaven.com/

That's just from my bookmarks....a google search will unveil many more

RoD
06-07-2003, 11:38 AM
also

http://msdn.microsoft.com

AProg
06-07-2003, 12:38 PM
Oh, who cares?
I was talking about this site.

RoD
06-07-2003, 12:49 PM
you should care because these are our reasons for not wanting or needing a .net section.

AProg
06-07-2003, 12:53 PM
Oh, and what are your reasons? The fact that other websites have one?

Fordy
06-07-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by AProg
Oh, and what are your reasons? The fact that other websites have one?

No...the fact that this is a C/C++ site...look at the logo at the top of this page....C# was allowed because it is pretty close to the C family of languages

AProg
06-07-2003, 01:07 PM
My previous comment:
Ok, without careing if it is a .net forum or whatever, i believe that this site needs a new forum "General Programming", though it still has many good forums.

And a man says it is not needed because MSDN is great, which isn't in this website. And after all, as i stated previously, i was speaking about this site.

RoD
06-07-2003, 01:22 PM
General programming consists of VB/Java/ETC

if u want something other than C/C++, which is what this site is FOR, than go elsewhere such as msdn, do u get it yet?

-KEN-
06-07-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by RoD
General programming consists of VB/Java/ETC

if u want something other than C/C++, which is what this site is FOR, than go elsewhere such as msdn, do u get it yet?

Quoted for truth.

It's not our fault that this site doesn't tailor to your every need; hell, if every site on the internet decided to cover every topic possible, what would be the point of having so many sites?

rick barclay
06-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Great idea. Let's do it.

Xei
06-07-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by RoD

Exactly.

AProg
06-08-2003, 12:12 AM
>General programming consists of VB/Java/ETC
Haha!
So you mean that if you have a question in java, you 're gonna through it on a General Programming forum.! So clever?

When talking about General Programming, we refer to algorithms, the position of programming science and so many other things, and generally for programming. NOT ABOUT INDIVIDUAL LANGUAGES. I mean, is that so difficult to undesrtand!? I didn't tell you i want something more than C/C++.
And something else:

Tech board???????
This site wasn't developed to explain how computers work, or about computer engineering, so what do computer questions not related to programming do in such a site?

Xei
06-08-2003, 12:34 AM
I really doubt that a .NET forum would get enough traffic to even be useful. If you're talking about getting a C/C++ .NET forum, this site already has boards for C and C++(.NET isn't so different to warrant its own board).

RoD
06-08-2003, 07:21 AM
>>General programming consists of VB/Java/ETC
Haha!

Sure it does, general programming would involve all languages, otherwise its not general now is it.

>>So you mean that if you have a question in java, you 're gonna through it on a General Programming forum.! So clever?

I never said that. You would ask it in a java forum. Guess what, were not one. So therefore it would, in our layout, be asked in a general forum which is bull$$$$ because we arent here to cator to ANYTHING besides C/C++, PERIOD.

>>When talking about General Programming, we refer to algorithms, the position of programming science and so many other things, and generally for programming. NOT ABOUT INDIVIDUAL LANGUAGES.

Wow, i forgot we didnt have a general discussion forum. Algorithms are covered in the language section they pertain too. Computer Science is covered in general discussion, as are other general topics.

>>I mean, is that so difficult to undesrtand!?

Why dont you ask yourself that question? I think you need to step back and get a good view of the intent, purpose, and workings of this site before you argue with me, or other members for that matter, about what this site needs when your missing the whole point. Get a clue, is that so hard to do?

>>I didn't tell you i want something more than C/C++.

Yes you did. Read your previous posts, u make several suggesions/requests that are outside of the scope of this site. So we provided you with links, and you attack us, over concepts of this site you obviously dont understand yet.

>>Tech board???????
This site wasn't developed to explain how computers work, or about computer engineering, so what do computer questions not related to programming do in such a site?

The tech board was designed to cover topics such as compiler problems/questions, windows and linux errors, etc. These are all directly in connection with programming. Besides, its webmasters site, who the hell are you to attack it and then ridicule us? Dont like it, get lost.

-KEN-
06-08-2003, 09:02 AM
>>And now the troll is gone, it should be got rid of as well.

I'm sure that nvoigt would disagree. Its entire existence is a horrible cycle...people don't post many questions to it because it doesn't have much traffic, and there's not much traffic because people don't post many questions to it. If I ever get around to purchasing VS.NET (::laughs:: I think I'd rather buy an entire computer for that price, so read that as "copy it from a friend"), I'd post more questions on that board for sure. In fact, I have a question on it that I'd been meaning to post...

>>Great idea. Let's do it.

which reminds me - head over to flashdaddee.com if you want a seperate forum for every topic imaginable.

RoD
06-08-2003, 10:32 AM
I dont see any reason to keep the c# forum, hell i never even noticed it was there till this thread mentioned it.

ygfperson
06-08-2003, 10:54 AM
I'm sure that .NET questions would be welcomed in the C# forum. Just ask them there.

And beside the point, the people have spoken: 3 yes, 15 no.

RoD
06-08-2003, 11:00 AM
make it 17 i forgot to vote

AProg
06-08-2003, 01:13 PM
>Sure it does, general programming would involve all languages, otherwise its not general now is it.

So, if general programming would involve all languages, then why to have individuals forums, and not have only one, the general programming?
But:
Yes, it does refers to other languages, but not constrainedly involve them. For example, you can compare two languages, but you shoulden't ask how the for-loop is in Java. And don't tell me that you can't refer to any other languages in "C forums", because by comparing languages with your own language you learn much more about your language.

>I never said that.
When you say that General programming consists of VB/Java/ETC and that it involves all languages, then why to involve them if you won't ask them a question specified in one of them? So you can't say that i want something more than C/C++( which is invalid ) by wanting a General Programming forum, and then say that you wouldn't ask something in Java there( ehich is something more than C/C++ ). Not that difficult to get it...

>Wow, i forgot we didnt have a general discussion forum. Algorithms are covered in the language section they pertain too. Computer Science is covered in general discussion, as are other general topics.

First of all i didn't refer to computer science. Algorithms is something generall which shouldn't ( and doesn't, indeed ) concern individual languages.
General discussion? Except from all the others, you are also blind.. Can't you see below the General Discussion link what it says? "Non-programming related topics", not even non C programming related topics

>Why dont you ask yourself that question? I think you need to step back and get a good view of the intent, purpose, and workings of this site before you argue with me, or other members for that matter, about what this site needs when your missing the whole point. Get a clue, is that so hard to do?

Well, at least i am trying to support my opinions.

>>I didn't tell you i want something more than C/C++.
>Yes you did. Read your previous posts,
I told you what a General Programming should do, and there is nothing more to do to persuade you that it wouldn't be so alien for such a site to have one.

>u make several suggesions/requests
I only said about a Generall Programming forum.

>So we provided you with links, and you attack us, over concepts of this site you obviously dont understand yet.
First of all we were talking about this site.
Attack you? Have i killed someone?
I am just talking man!!!
Don't understand yet? Can't persuade you that you are wrong ( and really don't care to - that's not our point ).

>The tech board was designed to cover topics such as compiler problems/questions, windows and linux errors, etc. These are all directly in connection with programming.

Read again what below the Tech Board says

>who the hell are you to attack it and then ridicule us? Dont like it, get lost.
I suppose you leave in the Middle Ages, and that "democracy" isn't a world you like so much...
I didn't know that you have to be a King or The God to tell your opinion. After all, you, yourself, said that it was just suggestions/requests. Not to mention the fact that the owners of this site welcome all opinions and sugestions, and that they are very glad when people care about this site.

Ridicul you? ( i am not speaking in plural )
Remember that, "Noone can ridicul our self more than ourselves do"

RoD
06-08-2003, 01:45 PM
>>So, if general programming would involve all languages, then why to have individuals forums, and not have only one, the general programming?

Because it would involve the general aspects of language not the specifics....i mean duh

>>For example, you can compare two languages, but you shoulden't ask how the for-loop is in Java. And don't tell me that you can't refer to any other languages in "C forums", because by comparing languages with your own language you learn much more about your language.

Gee we havent ever compared languages in GD before, never came to mind :rolleyes:

When you say that General programming consists of VB/Java/ETC and that it involves all languages, then why to involve them if you won't ask them a question specified in one of them?

Exactly, why involve them. You automatically involve ALL LANGUAGES when u have a general programming forum. So why have it? This is a C/C++ site, dude end of it you just proved my argument for me, thank you.

>>So you can't say that i want something more than C/C++( which is invalid ) by wanting a General Programming forum

Sure i can, and i did.

>>and then say that you wouldn't ask something in Java there( ehich is something more than C/C++ ). Not that difficult to get it...

You wouldnt ask it because this is a C/C++ site. If you wouldnt ask it than we already have adequate forums. I get it, you dont.

>>First of all i didn't refer to computer science.

Well programming science is the same $$$$ing thing, again, get a clue.

>>Algorithms is something generall which shouldn't ( and doesn't, indeed ) concern individual languages.

In some cases it does get specific. Some algorithms involve psudeo code, sorry forgot you didnt know that.

>>General discussion? Except from all the others, you are also blind.. Can't you see below the General Discussion link what it says? "Non-programming related topics", not even non C programming related topics

Your point? You just told me that algorithm is general and needs to be in a general area, and now your arguing they dont go in the general discussion? Man your all $$$$ed up.

>>Well, at least i am trying to support my opinions.

Yea and me posting all this and arguing them so shows that i dont support my opinions.

>>I told you what a General Programming should do, and there is nothing more to do to persuade you that it wouldn't be so alien for such a site to have one.

So your suggesting that we need one meaning u want more

>>I only said about a Generall Programming forum.

o and the other suggestions werent u :rolleyes:

>>Attack you? Have i killed someone?

No its attempted murder so far, on the concept of this site.

>>I am just talking man!!!

I know, trust me i know :rolleyes:

>>Don't understand yet?

Yea i dont understand, u've got it all 100% correct :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

>>Can't persuade you that you are wrong ( and really don't care to - that's not our point ).

I admit when im wrong, i do it all the time.

>>Read again what below the Tech Board says

Compiler issues arent programming related they are technical. Think outside the box, if u can find your way out.

>>I suppose you leave in the Middle Ages, and that "democracy" isn't a world you like so much...
I didn't know that you have to be a King or The God to tell your opinion. After all, you, yourself, said that it was just suggestions/requests. Not to mention the fact that the owners of this site welcome all opinions and sugestions, and that they are very glad when people care about this site.

I live in the age where the people rule. We have spoken, we have won, yet you wont shut up....

>>Ridicul you? ( i am not speaking in plural )
Remember that, "Noone can ridicul our self more than ourselves do"

again i state: :rolleyes:

You, sir, are an idiot among men.

Fordy
06-08-2003, 01:48 PM
As this is degenerating into a petty squabble, I think that will do.