PDA

View Full Version : C# Book

Troll_King
10-27-2001, 10:40 AM
I'm likely going to pick up a C# book today. My first text on C#. I'm doing this because I recieved $50.00 Cnd ($35.00 US) in certificates from my local book store outlet, indigo.ca

I guess I'm growing away from this place, but I'll likely program in C++ and C# simultaneously for about a year. I was actually finally hoping to create a non graphics game or else textual graphics now that I know OOP. Damn, I really need to learn some graphics programming, but I think it would be wise to learn more OOP first! Oh well. Surely I'll get Petzold's "Windows Programming in C#' in January.

-KEN-
10-27-2001, 10:59 AM
I've been working on C#'s window capabilities lately today, and I can't figure out how to make a damned second form show itself...the only thing I'll ever say good about VB was that all you had to do was Form2.Show...damnit! maybe I'll wind up going straight code for the C# windows API as well...

Troll_King
10-27-2001, 11:03 AM
Did you try VB.NET yet? How do you like VS.NET beta 2? I thought it was quite good. I think that the thing to learn would be the .NET class framework library because you can use it with any language and it is a system API.

no-one
10-27-2001, 11:12 AM
i looked at a book on C# yesterday to confirm my suspicions and they were confirmed, C# is Java with a new name...

Troll_King
10-27-2001, 11:18 AM
C# is Java with a new name...

Great, it won't take much for you to start using C# than!

-KEN-
10-27-2001, 11:18 AM
I tried VB.NET for about 5 seconds...then I went to VC++.NET, then I've been trying out VC#.NET since then. I love VS.NET! The IDE is so incredibly wonderful. 100x better than the old VC6/VS6 one.

-KEN-
10-27-2001, 11:23 AM
I hate having to admit you were right...DAMNIT!

Troll_King
10-27-2001, 11:24 AM
It will take me years just to explore the .NET IDE. Some things that I noticed immediately was the dynamic help and the window tabs. It's way easier to tab through windows than it was with VC++6. Also it is easier to add files to the current workspace. I have no idea what half the stuff does. I should get a book on the IDE but I have not seen a book like that yet. Definately going to get a .NET related text today though.

-KEN-
10-27-2001, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I love the in-IDE help instead of having to open up MSDN and looking for things...hmmm....maybe getting a book on C# wouldn't be too bad...

Troll_King
10-27-2001, 11:37 AM
KEN you should also try to learn some OOP because if there is one thing that is certain, the VS.NET class libraries are dedicated to supporting OOP programming and infact even VB.NET has moved toward C++ in design. Actually OOP is easier to work with than procedural programming. The fundamentals are encapsulation, inheritance, and polymorphism. C++ is quite good for learning this, but maybe C# will be too.

Troll_King
10-27-2001, 03:48 PM
Okay I picked up a couple C# beginner books. If I have any code questions I'll submit on the C++ board.

no-one
10-27-2001, 07:04 PM
>Great, it won't take much for you to start using C# than!

it would take an army, i HATE JAVA and anything like it...

Something you should think on real hard:

MS is EVIL and you don't even realize you following right along with the master plan... there trying to take over the world, this is no joke, you wan to read up on it? say so, but im telling you they are making their move and .NET is going the be the centeral nervous system, their even moving into the home entertainment buisness... NO OTHER PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES, NO OTHER OS'ES, NO OTHER BROWSERS, NO SONY, NO SAMSUNG, NO MITSUBISHI, NO APPLE, NO NOTHING, just .NET and MS.
You think im playing around or joking around just watch, all your personal info held on MS'es central computers for them to do with as they please, they control the net and its content, no using it without their say so, i'll say this again cause its the truth this is no friggen joke!

best wake up and smell the roses early, cause their laughing their asses off right now.

Fordy
10-27-2001, 07:32 PM
>>MS is EVIL

Funny until you think about it....

It seems that M$ are ascending above any corporate goals. The idea that I would trust my personal info with Redmond and they would control who has access to my info like some information bank is ludicrous on initial inspection, but it seems that this is a goal. At this point they are no longer a corporate entity seeking commerce, they are more on a par with a government. Unelected and unavoidable.

I have stated previously that I admire some of their products, but the stigma of their intentions is always there and it will be harder felt as the next few years roll by.

EvenFlow
10-27-2001, 07:38 PM
Look throughout history...all the "great" empires fell - the Greeks, the Romans, the British - surely the Microsoft Empire will fall eventually.

Fordy
10-27-2001, 07:48 PM
>>Look throughout history...all the "great" empires fell - the Greeks, the Romans, the British - surely the Microsoft Empire will fall eventually.

:p

And all of those left a massive legacy.....

What will be M$'s leftovers?

mfc2themax
10-28-2001, 07:53 AM
Microsoft has a pretty grand plan.... and passport is the heart of it. No, not because its some authentication web service, but because it stores, every company that uses passport, customer data with Microsoft. Customer data is THE most important thing for most companies, and now that Microsoft will have access to it, they can introduce new products to those customers, and compete agaisnt the companies that use passport. For example, if im a user of KaZaa, and KaZaa uses Passport, Microsoft can instead promote their own music service, MSN Music (yes i know its nothing compared to it, but try and get the whole picture.) over KaZaa. And draw customers to their services. (I have a lot of good friends at the company)

Microsoft will also start competing with Sony and other electronics manfuactors (xbox anyone?), they've already started introducing several hardware devices, most recently the TV Photoviewer, Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse, Ultimate TV, and there's another device slated to come out next year, that will throw together a CD Player, DVD player, and will be designed to control the "digital home". It will be loaded with Microsoft software, and tie into other Microsoft services. Microsoft also sells Keyboards, speakers, MSN WebTV and gaming devices.

And according to my sources at Microsoft Research, they have been researching ways to develop storage devices, micro-processors, and a bunch of other things.

mfc2themax
10-28-2001, 08:04 AM
>MS is EVIL and you don't even realize you following right along with the master plan... there trying to take over the world, this is no joke, you wan to read up on it? say so, but im telling you they are making their move and .NET is going the be the centeral nervous system, their even moving into the home entertainment buisness... NO OTHER PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES, NO OTHER OS'ES, NO OTHER BROWSERS, NO SONY, NO SAMSUNG, NO MITSUBISHI, NO APPLE, NO NOTHING, just .NET and MS.
You think im playing around or joking around just watch, all your personal info held on MS'es central computers for them to do with as they please, they control the net and its content, no using it without their say so, i'll say this again cause its the truth this is no friggen joke! <

Exactly. What you said is more real, than most people actually believe. Like i said before, I have some very very good friends, in senior level positions there, and there telling me that this is very much were the company wants to go.

Aran
10-28-2001, 09:20 AM
it's very unfortunate that microsoft is going to take over the world.. i was looking forward to doing that.

no-one
10-28-2001, 10:59 AM
unfortunatly mfc i don't think people are paying attention, aside from fordy, evenflow and aran.

Troll_King
10-28-2001, 11:05 AM
I completely agree that Win9X/ME are heaps of garbage, but everything after that has been top quality products. I have no quarel with Microsoft. Maybe it is because I have money. Sorry guys.

no-one
10-28-2001, 11:10 AM
>I have no quarel with Microsoft.
???

this is nothing of the sort, they ARE TRYING TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD MAN!!!IM NOT PLAYIN AROUND!, they are disreguarding all law and everyone else in doing so... they must pay, I WILL NOT have my life governed by MS nor my choices, sorry they are EVIL! i don't not wan a world exclusivly MS.

read my original post...

Fordy
10-28-2001, 01:18 PM
>>I have no quarel with Microsoft. Maybe it is because I have money. Sorry guys.

LOL...

I have money too.... well enough to keep me happy for the time being. I also like may of the products - see my earlier post Win2k, Access, Excel (especially this as I work in busines finance, and my life would be a misery without it) and VC++ are all products I use and I'm pretty happy with.... What I dont like is the way M$ are ascending above being just another company and how they will soon be unavoidable.

Every company should exist in a spirit of competition and everyone should have the choice to seek out whats best for them, but when the cards are stacked so highly against them there needs to be some sort of control. M$ has easily shaken off the judgement against them, and are free to go onward and upward as before. If competition laws cannot stop M$...then what is there to stop M$ abusing its position as it frequently does? I believe there are still eurpoean anti competition actions against M$, but now they have had the all clear in the US I dont know how relevant they will be.

You are saying that you have no concerns about how this comapany will sit between you and any transactions you make on the web? Soon you will not have a choice to do anything without them being involved. If you havent already, read 1984 because big brother is gaining strength.....

Troll_King
10-28-2001, 02:43 PM
I don't call it C-Sharp. I call it C-Pound!

-KEN-
10-28-2001, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft has its own army...probably developing laser weapon technology as we speak. Of course they would pose not threat because of the lack of ctrl, alt, and del keys...

Pendragon
10-28-2001, 04:01 PM
If Windows is as bad as we all think, why the heck do we use it?

...and what would we use instead?

ie. Is the most recent version of Linux better than Windows Xp Pro?

-Penny (Win 2000 Pro user)

-KEN-
10-28-2001, 04:06 PM
That's because all operating systems are pretty much inferior to windows. Whether I like to say so or not. Not to mention if you want your product to fly, windows is the "dumbest" OS on the planet so that normal users can use it....if you want your product to make money then you want to have it useable to the masses...and the masses use windows!

Pendragon
10-28-2001, 04:12 PM
[qutoe]and the masses use windows![/quote]

Yeah, worse luck. I think no-one says it all:

they are EVIL! i don't not wan a world exclusivly MS.

;) :p :D

-Penny

no-one
10-28-2001, 04:36 PM
>...and what would we use instead?

Mac OS-X, easier to use, faster, more stable, open source, built of Unix, solid as a rock,ect...

Linux, is making advancements that will make it even more user friendly than Windows, this will soon be the reality.

Pendragon
10-28-2001, 04:59 PM
Linux, is making advancements that will make it even more user friendly than Windows, this will soon be the reality.

They'd better get their arse in gear then.