PDA

View Full Version : My Dream Job...

greenRoom
10-26-2001, 02:42 AM
I know... I know... there are like 100s of other programming related jobs/companies. If it's not up there, then let everyone know below!

adrianxw
10-26-2001, 03:31 AM
Dream job. Thats another of those oxymorons isn't it.

greenRoom
10-26-2001, 03:58 AM
hmmm... I have a bad feeling I'm going to find that to be true in a few years (well, so much for fantasizing).

I guess I should have said: Where will you end up slaving yourself for 80hrs/week?

mfc2themax
10-26-2001, 04:25 AM
my dream job is to sleep.

Stoned_Coder
10-26-2001, 04:35 AM
Some medical research nutter here in the uk will give you about 10 an hour to do just that mfc! If you let them test out new and unproven drugs on you the moneys much better lol

Fordy
10-26-2001, 04:40 AM
>>Some medical research nutter here in the uk will give you about 10 an hour to do just that mfc! If you let them test out new and unproven drugs on you the moneys much better lol

I had a mate from Herts that did the sleep thing.

I also had a mate that would check into one of these test centres to get extra money as a student. They paid sh#t loads. The centre was placed in one of the most economically deprived ares in the UK and the option to make money testing stuff was a popular one for many....Who knows what the implications for those people will be.......

Generator
10-26-2001, 02:07 PM
My dream job would be one where my manager know's what they are talking about, and I don't spend my day dumbing things down so they can understand me. I thought managers were supposed to know what they were doing before they started to manage their respective departments?????

Garfield
10-26-2001, 02:55 PM
Microsoft

Pendragon
10-26-2001, 04:43 PM
Dream job?

To do whatever I feel like doing every morning.

Daydreeeeeeeeeaaaaaam...

-Peeeeeeeeeennny

DavidP
10-26-2001, 04:49 PM
What about game programming for Ensemble Studios, ID Software, or Blizzard? where is that option? thats what I would have selected....

Breach23
10-26-2001, 05:11 PM
Linux Hacker all the way!

greenRoom
10-26-2001, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by DavidP
What about game programming for Ensemble Studios, ID Software, or Blizzard? where is that option? thats what I would have selected....

:eek: Yup, just realized that. Forgot about all you game programmers out there.

Aran
10-26-2001, 06:40 PM
dream and job are mutually exclusive (oo, big words)

-KEN-
10-26-2001, 06:57 PM
If them MS campus is anything like what they had in "Antitrust" then I'm gonna have to kill all other applicants to ensure my place there...

Aran
10-26-2001, 08:01 PM
anyhow, my dream job:

getting paid to get paid.

Garfield
10-26-2001, 08:11 PM
> If them MS campus is anything like what they had in "Antitrust" then I'm gonna have to kill all other applicants to ensure my place there...

Yeh? What's it like? I've never seen "Antitrust". Is it scenic or something? Or just unrealistic?

--Garfield

greenRoom
10-26-2001, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by -KEN-
If them MS campus is anything like what they had in "Antitrust" then I'm gonna have to kill all other applicants to ensure my place there...

That's what I thought was kind of funny about the movie. What were they working on again? Some kind of satellite communications system? I would think some top guy of a company like that would be looking more for of a team of programmers with like 20 years of experience, rather than these hot shot rookies from stanford or mit or wherever.

-KEN-
10-26-2001, 09:49 PM
*cocks shotgun and twitches eye* c'mon, I dare you to apply...

EvenFlow
10-26-2001, 10:01 PM
>>I would think some top guy of a company like that would be looking more for of a team of programmers with like 20 years of experience, rather than these hot shot rookies from stanford or mit or wherever.<<

Good point.

DavidP
10-26-2001, 10:08 PM
Antitrust is an awesome movie.

I have said it before and I will say it again...Every computer programmer has to see that movie.

greenRoom
10-26-2001, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by DavidP
Antitrust is an awesome movie.

I have said it before and I will say it again...Every computer programmer has to see that movie.

The movie "Sneakers" is BETTER!!! :p

you know... funny thing about the CIA is (from the poll), is that you must pass a polygraph test as part of the interview.

Garfield
10-27-2001, 07:23 AM
Antitrust, huh? I guess I'll try to rent it this weekend. Sounds interesting.

mfc2themax
10-27-2001, 07:28 AM
ms actually tried to recruit me a while back..... to make a long story short i told them "go to hell"..... well i didnt say that, but i decided not to go for various reasons.

Garfield
10-27-2001, 07:30 AM
Really? How do you get MS to know who you are? Just send in applications, or something?

--Garfield

mfc2themax
10-27-2001, 07:57 AM
well, the way i knew them was because i went up to Redmond for so many meetings with them, at my former job, but getting to know people at microsoft, and establishing relationships with them is a good way to start out.

If you go apply for a job, they pound you through a full day of interviews and such, and your usually interviewed by 3-4 people. They throw you into a lot of situtations that you would run into when working there, and observe how you go about handling them. They'll also ask a few logic questions, mainly to see how your mind works, and your process of thinking.

The culture over there is pretty intense, they spent a day or two showing me around everything, they have a neat campus up in Redmond.

Basically it works like this, if your extremly intelligent, love technology, thrive under preasure, and enjoy working for the worlds largest provider of junk ( :D ), i mean software, then you'll like Microsoft, and you should probably apply.