PDA

View Full Version : Would you get into UC Berkeley



Terrance
05-06-2003, 09:15 PM
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/sats/who/

alpha
05-06-2003, 10:16 PM
doesn't surprise me. a lot of factors do go into admissions, and they just don't heavily look into scores and grades necessarily, as just proven by the above link. committment, plus etc. is taken into account.

Scourfish
05-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Would I want to go to UC Berkeley?

I'm perfectly happy with my road to unemployment at the University of Crackron

alpha
05-07-2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Scourfish
Would I want to go to UC Berkeley?
I really didn't. Maybe, but I just don't know. Berkeley is kindof a trippy town

Hillbillie
05-07-2003, 09:26 AM
I plan on going to Berkeley. It won't be anytime soon, though. :)

SourceCode
05-07-2003, 05:09 PM
No

confuted
05-07-2003, 07:43 PM
>>Would you get into UC Berkeley?

Why would I want to?

Procyon
05-07-2003, 08:02 PM
I was rejected because I sent my application in two days after their Nov. 30 deadline (a month before any other college I applied to; and I hadn't even noticed), and they didn't even review it. It was (though this probably sounds obnoxious) intended as a "safety school" anyway, though, so I didn't really mind.

RoD
05-07-2003, 08:39 PM
No.

Ripper1
05-07-2003, 10:21 PM
i'd go to berkely, and from the looks of it, i prolly will get in :) but who knows, ill just have to wait and see....

kermi3
05-07-2003, 10:52 PM
I'd like to think that I would have gotten in...And I know that I like my essays moer than any of those rambling pueces of writting....not to bash.

Ripper1
05-07-2003, 11:51 PM
admissions can be a real $$$$$, im applying next year for em, i meet those demographics they love..fatherless, low income, blah blah, in reality, it's all bull$$$$, you should get into college for your intelligence, not because of how many homeless people you can help out..that's just my opinion though

Xei
05-08-2003, 12:09 AM
Screw it, I'm going to college. My average isn't good enough because I spend too much time programming instead of studying. Oh well, i'm not too worried about not going to university, it's not what makes you successful... it's whether or not you can do your job.

Cheeze-It
05-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Xei
Screw it, I'm going to college. My average isn't good enough because I spend too much time programming instead of studying. Oh well, i'm not too worried about not going to university, it's not what makes you successful... it's whether or not you can do your job.

Ha! Good luck with that...

Success has little to do with whether or not you can do your job;
Success is based on who you know, and how much they like you.

GoodStuff
05-08-2003, 02:55 AM
Screw Berzerkely, I want MIT.

Not that I'd ever get in. *SIGH* Sometimes it hard living in a thrid world country where an education is not worth the paper it's printed on.

Actually it's hard all the time living in a third world country.

ARRRGGHHH! *Bangs head against desk*

Probably the most I'll ever be able to do is make a pilgramige to MIT, and worship a bit at the site of Hacker's Mekka.

Ahem.

Orange anyone?

Gus

Xei
05-08-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by ethic
Ha! Good luck with that...

Success has little to do with whether or not you can do your job;
Success is based on who you know, and how much they like you.

lol, good luck with that theory.

golfinguy4
05-08-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by GoodStuff
Screw Berzerkely, I want MIT.

Not that I'd ever get in. *SIGH* Sometimes it hard living in a thrid world country where an education is not worth the paper it's printed on.

Actually it's hard all the time living in a third world country.

ARRRGGHHH! *Bangs head against desk*

Probably the most I'll ever be able to do is make a pilgramige to MIT, and worship a bit at the site of Hacker's Mekka.

Ahem.

Orange anyone?

Gus

I'd apply there if I were you. The fact that you are from South Africa will help you out greatly.

Personally, I'm going to apply there as well. However, I know that my chances of getting in are pretty small (being a suburbian white boy).

GoodStuff
05-09-2003, 03:12 AM
I'd apply there if I were you. The fact that you are from South Africa will help you out greatly.

Yes, I'm South African, but I'm a WHITE South African. There's a stigma of apartheid and racism clinging to white south africans.

And even if I did get in, how am I going to pay for it all? Nah, the only way I'd get into MIT is if I do it the "Good Will Hunting" way.

But thanks for the encouraging word. It helps to see a spark of hope when I get depressed.

Gus

alpha
05-09-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by GoodStuff
Yes, I'm South African, but I'm a WHITE South African. There's a stigma of apartheid and racism clinging to white south africans.

And even if I did get in, how am I going to pay for it all? Nah, the only way I'd get into MIT is if I do it the "Good Will Hunting" way.

But thanks for the encouraging word. It helps to see a spark of hope when I get depressed.

Gus I would try it if I were you. I believe MIT has a policy to met Financial Need. You could be surpised at how much it would actually cost. Anyways, whatever you decide, best of luck!

Terrance
05-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Xei
lol, good luck with that theory.

Hate to admit what ethic said, but it's true (to a very high extent).

Where you go in life can possibly (and in many cases) depend more on how much of a people person you are than your knowledge...

I have friends who are very intelligent, hard working... etc.- but go through jobs one by one because they have no people skills. On the other hand, I know idiots that have made it far in life just because of their people skills.

It's like my theory that hard work >= talent, and (hard work and talent) is > than hard work or talent alone.

being a people person is >= knowledge. (more than 50% of the time)... But not all the time(programmers are one of the cases where knowledge > being a people person- in my opinion)!!!

If you're an intelligent, hard working, knowledgeable people person, than you have a lot of potential to make it far in life!

golfinguy4
05-09-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by GoodStuff
Yes, I'm South African, but I'm a WHITE South African. There's a stigma of apartheid and racism clinging to white south africans.

And even if I did get in, how am I going to pay for it all? Nah, the only way I'd get into MIT is if I do it the "Good Will Hunting" way.

But thanks for the encouraging word. It helps to see a spark of hope when I get depressed.

Gus

Good Will Hunting... That movie absolutely rocks.

confuted
05-09-2003, 03:47 PM
About financial need at MIT...

They sent me a brochure. The cover said "We helped to put a man on the moon. We can definitely find a way to help you afford MIT."

Xei
05-09-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Terrance
Hate to admit what ethic said, but it's true (to a very high extent).

Where you go in life can possibly (and in many cases) depend more on how much of a people person you are than your knowledge...

I have friends who are very intelligent, hard working... etc.- but go through jobs one by one because they have no people skills. On the other hand, I know idiots that have made it far in life just because of their people skills.

It's like my theory that hard work >= talent, and (hard work and talent) is > than hard work or talent alone.

being a people person is >= knowledge. (more than 50% of the time)... But not all the time(programmers are one of the cases where knowledge > being a people person- in my opinion)!!!

If you're an intelligent, hard working, knowledgeable people person, than you have a lot of potential to make it far in life!

Our world works off of commerce. Being able to communicate well with people, and convincing them can be very profitable, I agree. However, regardless of who you know and how well you can talk, you still need to offer a product or service. Someone once told me that going to University/College to study Programming would be stupid, and instead I should apply for a job as a programmer, then hire other programmers to do my work for me.... Obviousely if someone did that they would get fired very quickly. Somewhere down the line in life there has to be people who know what they are doing. If everyone was a salesman, then there would be nothing to sell. But yes, management related jobs often make more money than the people who actually do the work because of the simple fact they have their 'People Skills'.

GoodStuff
05-12-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally by golfinguy4
Good Will Hunting... That movie absolutely rocks.

Hehehe... Sure does.

OK, OK, you guys win. I'll contact MIT and see what my chances are. But if I get a heart attack from hearing what it'll cost me, YOU ppl are gonna look after my momma and poppa and two younger sisters and pet cat and three dogs and my pet lizards when I'm dead.

Gus :D

golfinguy4
05-12-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by GoodStuff
Hehehe... Sure does.

OK, OK, you guys win. I'll contact MIT and see what my chances are. But if I get a heart attack from hearing what it'll cost me, YOU ppl are gonna look after my momma and poppa and two younger sisters and pet cat and three dogs and my pet lizards when I'm dead.

Gus :D

Oh, it'll cost you. But there are two things that you should remember.

1) They give a lot of financial aid. As long as you have the brains, they'll pretty much help you get in.

2) Remember, that you are getting one of the best educations that money can buy. It's like getting a mercedes, but it involves education and it will help you make $$$ in the future.

GoodStuff
05-14-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by golfinguy4
2) Remember, that you are getting one of the best educations that money can buy. It's like getting a mercedes, but it involves education and it will help you make $$$ in the future. [/B]

Doesn't work that way. To my terrible dissapointment I found that:

good education != good money

I went to one of the best places here for learning computer science and afterwards I had to look for a job for 1.25 years! I got 89% on the hardest course that place HAD!

I don't give a dang-diggity toot-bootlin bang-jiggly hoot about a degree anymore. I just want the knowledge. If I ever get to Boston, I would just buy an MIT library card and read all the books they got there and hang out with the guys. It would also be the only thing I could afford...

Education? I can't afford to. Learning? I can't afford not to.

Gus

golfinguy4
05-14-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by GoodStuff
Doesn't work that way. To my terrible dissapointment I found that:

good education != good money

I went to one of the best places here for learning computer science and afterwards I had to look for a job for 1.25 years! I got 89% on the hardest course that place HAD!

I don't give a dang-diggity toot-bootlin bang-jiggly hoot about a degree anymore. I just want the knowledge. If I ever get to Boston, I would just buy an MIT library card and read all the books they got there and hang out with the guys. It would also be the only thing I could afford...

Education? I can't afford to. Learning? I can't afford not to.

Gus

A) What college/university?

B) Yeah, tech jobs aren't going to be abundant in a tech collapse.

Terrance
05-14-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by GoodStuff
Doesn't work that way. To my terrible dissapointment I found that:

good education != good money

I went to one of the best places here for learning computer science and afterwards I had to look for a job for 1.25 years! I got 89% on the hardest course that place HAD!

I don't give a dang-diggity toot-bootlin bang-jiggly hoot about a degree anymore. I just want the knowledge. If I ever get to Boston, I would just buy an MIT library card and read all the books they got there and hang out with the guys. It would also be the only thing I could afford...

Education? I can't afford to. Learning? I can't afford not to.

Gus

It seems to me your attitude is what's not getting you a job, not your education.

Yes, you can have an MIT degree, and still not be guaranteed a job.

In fact, I overheard a conversation the other day- a guy was preaching how he had a degree in business administration and over a decade of work experience, and was now working for 12 dollars an hour.

You have to be aggressive to get a job in today's market. I suggest that you at least shell out 20 dollars, and get yourself a job interviewing skills book.

If getting a job means buying a suit, and walking into business after business, and handing out resumes to secretaries and HR, etc, that might be what you need to get a job.

I was actually talking to someone today who was doing exactly that. He might not have a job now, but I'm sure he will by the time the week's over.

I'm currently studying to retake the SAT's this month. But after I'm through, I'm going to go business to business until someone breaks down and gives me an interview. Hopefully it won't be at McDonald's ;)

windoze victim
05-14-2003, 07:24 PM
Bezerkley: (n)where one goes to voluntarily get brainwash by crazy "activists" who care more what color you are and if you are "underprivliged" than your actual merits


I have but one thing left to say:

Reverse discrimination

Silvercord
05-14-2003, 07:44 PM
we should all committ suicide

GoodStuff
05-15-2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Silvercord
we should all committ suicide

You first bro. :D

GoodStuff
05-15-2003, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Terrance
It seems to me your attitude is what's not getting you a job, not your education.


I did all that. South Africa just doesn't have enough jobs for her people. Almost 50% of South Africa is unemployed!

It's not about getting a job, it's about getting paid for how good you are rather than good education. But when I said that:

good education != good money

I was only referring to what golfinguy4 had said - He implied the opposite.

I'd like to go to MIT for the education, not to get good money later.

golfinguy4 - I went to CTI. I completed their Computer Science Diploma with 89% average. For my programming I always got at least 91%. Their certification is done by Cambridge University (The one in England, eh?). That's the place I staked my reputation on. And it didn't work for me.

After 1.25 years of futile searching I fell on my knees and told God I didn't know what to do anymore. The next week I was employed. My education didn't help me get a job, my God did.

Gus

Liger86
05-15-2003, 05:14 AM
Too much to read, I'll read it after school. :)