PDA

View Full Version : confused.. in selecting my line of deapth

jawwadalam
05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Hi..Every One..

Now a days.. I am confused .. because of MFC
few months ago. when I was learning General C++ I was very keen to go indepth of general C++, but now a days I 'm learning MFC and it is forcing me to forget general C++, and Now a days I am plannning to select MFC and other Microsoft's technologies as my main focus line.. in C++ Programming but I am confused because I think if I will go into the depth of Microsoft's Visual C++ technologies...I will be a person limited to the development concerned to a specific plateform.. :confused:
What is your opinion about..this.. Help me to get out of this state of chaos...

adrianxw
05-04-2003, 11:16 AM
A language such as C++ is always simply a framework for doing a job. Eventually, you will have to interact with the operating system on the machine you are using. All OS's have an API that you will use.

Some systems have a class library that wraps the OS's native API in classes, this is what MFC is, (there are other class libraries around). If you are not happy with MFC, so don't use it, use the native API. In fact, I would ALWAYS advocate learning the raw API before a class library.

>>> Just Love...Is not Enough..

I disagree, if you love someone, it is everything.

jawwadalam
05-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Should I go in the depth of Microsoft Visual C++ technologies?

Speedy5
05-04-2003, 11:47 AM
.NET

adrianxw
05-04-2003, 01:21 PM
Visual C++ is, when you take all the marketting hype away, a compiler and an IDE. There are other compilers, there are other IDE's. Going "in the depth of Microsoft Visual C++ technologies" is learning to use a compiler and IDE. There is nothing magic about VC++, it is just one of the better tools you can use.

If you pick up Borland's c++ Builder, or one of the free compiler/IDE's like Dev c++ you will still be able to explore the Windows API.

If you understand what all the higher level products are built upon, you will better understand the higher level products. Learn the Win32 API.

Others would disagree of course. .NET is also a possibility.