PDA

View Full Version : WinXP Released

Troll_King
10-25-2001, 07:25 AM
It gets released to the public today. I would get it but I'm too scared that it won't work with my hardware. Well I'll get a new computer in 2003! Should be able to get WinXP or even the next OS by than.

basilisk
10-25-2001, 08:48 AM
i thought you had an msdn subscription in which case its been available since sept 24th

mix0matt
10-25-2001, 09:32 AM
I got my hands on it about a week ago. it's running on a PII 350 with 192mb or RAM. I not even a huge microsoft fan, but i'm willing to try anything. I must say that i love it. It boots extremely fast (compared to 98se), it's stable (so far i haven't rebooted), it's extremely appealing visually, and the interfaces are intuitive. I give a big thumbs up for XP.

Troll_King
10-25-2001, 09:55 AM
i thought you had an msdn subscription in which case its been available since sept 24th

No I don't have MSDN universal. Don't need it yet.

I only want WinXP for the built in DVD player. I have Win2k with the .NET framework installed. My system is a 1.4Ghz AMD with 317 MB Ram, which makes it reasonably fast. I don't know if my DVD drive would survive the cross over. Also I fear product activation!

no-one
10-25-2001, 10:00 AM
>I would get it but I'm too scared that it won't work with my hardware.

it doesn't work with half of mine...damn it.

>I only want WinXP for the built in DVD player.

you can get a million software DVD players for free

search for them here...

http://www.downloads.com

basilisk
10-25-2001, 10:08 AM
i think everyone fears product activation especially those people who change a lot of their computer hardware every six months as then it might not reactivate on that product code and then they have to ring up MS. Office XP also has to be activated as well (think it was activate within 50 times or it locks up)...

Whistler advanced server also has to be activated - but it was a painless process and i didnt need to input any of my details. The only details i have had to input is that i am based in the UK for office xp.

btw when you finally do get your msdn sub you will love it - it sounds expensive straight off but you get so much product most before it is released in the shops. i pay about 1300 a year for mine as it is a repeat sub and if i went to buy just exchange 2000 enterprise edition in the shops it would cost me almost that amount by itself.

Troll_King
10-25-2001, 10:16 AM
Send me some software will ya?

basilisk
10-25-2001, 10:20 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Troll_King
10-25-2001, 10:23 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

rick barclay
10-25-2001, 04:20 PM
I agree with mix_o_mat. It's nice. Very fast, even with all the
garbage I have installed on this computer. Do your own
downloading leech_king :D .

rick barclay

Troll_King
10-25-2001, 04:24 PM
I would re-install win2k to fix my problems, but I don't have the CD-KEY!

DavidP
10-25-2001, 04:57 PM
I've had XP for over a month now...and i LOVE it. sooo fast and efficient.....*drool*...so much better than Win95...

mfc2themax
10-25-2001, 05:12 PM
I just got back from the launch in New York, it was awesome. I'm getting my copy from some people that i know at MS, as much as i hate ms.... i have to admit, this is just cool.

oskilian
10-25-2001, 05:21 PM
I haven't got it on my computer, but I just hate the way it looks (visually), it looks like Windows for Children

But I still wanna try it, do ya know how much it costs?

Oskilian

Troll_King
10-25-2001, 05:28 PM
The cost of a new computer. It's not very upgradeable.

The15th
10-25-2001, 05:44 PM
Before i go out and get it i think i should find out if it will run on my machine. Does anyone know if it will run on a

PIII, TnT 2 graphics card, 320 mb Ram, on board sound, 10 gig hard drive. and a creative 8 4 32x cdwr?

is there a web site, that talks about hardware problems for XP?

thanks heaps.

Troll_King
10-25-2001, 05:49 PM
Look into the link on my other thread about the online upgrade test. Actually it gets you to download a file. It tests your system.

basilisk
10-25-2001, 06:03 PM
hey troll_king you may as well wait until Whistler AS is released if you want a server product to replace Win2K. I'm only running xp on workstations, the server has whistler and laptop is being kept at win2k as it is so stable

DavidP
10-25-2001, 06:11 PM
>PIII, TnT 2 graphics card, 320 mb Ram, on board sound, 10 gig hard drive. and a creative 8 4 32x cdwr?

It will definitely work on that computer. It works very well on mine, and it has:

AMD 300 Mhz processor, 8 GB hd, 128 MB ram. my CDRW works with it too.

The15th
10-25-2001, 07:53 PM
Hey thanks for the info. One more question i do have about it, i herd that microsoft can tell if you have installed a pirated copy of XP. is this true? because i would like to borrow my friends copy and burn it and run that before i go out and spend an arm and a leg on something i might not like. but of course i dont want to get into trouble.

mix0matt
10-25-2001, 09:04 PM
troll king...does the multiple of seven key work with win2k? it probable doesn't...i don't know...maybe worth a try.

nvoigt
10-26-2001, 12:15 AM
>but of course i dont want to get into trouble

What can MS possibly do ? I guess about half their
'customers' with pirate copies are kids. So they
can probably send a lawyer for $1000 an hour
to conficate everything the kiddie owns...
Do you think MS would pay $$$ to get an old PC
and a potential costuomers lifelong hatred ?

I won't upgrade. I have three 2K systems running,
all are fine. None has any problems. So why change
it.

Fordy
10-26-2001, 03:49 AM
>>I won't upgrade. I have three 2K systems running,
all are fine. None has any problems. So why change
it.

Thats exactly as I feel at the moment. Win2k is stable and great to use. If it aint broke....why fix it?

basilisk
10-26-2001, 03:50 AM
One more question i do have about it, i herd that microsoft can tell if you have installed a pirated copy of XP. is this true? because i would like to borrow my friends copy and burn it and run that before i go out and spend an arm and a leg on something i might not like. but of course i dont want to get into trouble.

you could use the software for 30 days as that is the activation grace period - if you then try to activate it after this time using the CD key of your friend then an error box will come up telling you that this key has already been activated and asking you to enter another key in

mfc2themax
10-26-2001, 03:54 AM
>Win2k is stable and great to use<

(sarcasam) Ya.... right..... (sarcasam)

Fordy
10-26-2001, 04:12 AM
>Win2k is stable and great to use<

(sarcasam) Ya.... right..... (sarcasam)

I think it is.......especially when you relate it to Win 98/ME.

mfc2themax
10-26-2001, 04:18 AM
Then i must have the most screwed up installation of win2k in the world.... it crashes at least 4-5 times a week. (lousy stop errors :mad: )

Fordy
10-26-2001, 04:24 AM
>>Then i must have the most screwed up installation of win2k in the world.... it crashes at least 4-5 times a week.

Dont know, but mine is reliable and hardly ever crashes. I dont leave it on 24/7 mind you.

It kicks the sh#t out of 98 though

Troll_King
10-26-2001, 08:38 AM
My Win2k is also stable. I basically leave it on 24/7. The only problem is that an operating system 'can' be fragile. Especially if you download hacked software. I'm still learning how to use Win2k to its potential. This will take a while.

Although Win2k is very stable, they now have a problem with controlling virii. Also, product activation 'might' be a problem with people who like to upgrade their systems, rather than purchasing from an OEM. Sure it is still possible to assemble your own computer but you have to make sure that every part is compatible. This could be a major headache!

Anyway, there are no other operating systems out there.

Generator
10-26-2001, 08:55 AM
So is it worth it to upgrade? I use WinME, cause that's what I got stuck with. Will I have to liscence winxp every year?? What should I do? spend 299 canadian and upgrade or what?

Breach23
10-26-2001, 10:41 AM
LoL Fordy...Linux on a 36 with 2 mb of ram is stable compared to windows98/me...