PDA

View Full Version : Best compiler

gamegod3001
08-26-2001, 05:03 PM
What compiler do you think is the best and why?
Please give real reasons and not stupid ones like: M$ has monney therefore I don't like any of there products

-KEN-
08-26-2001, 05:20 PM
MSVC++ all-the-way. I love the IDE. That's just such a great IDE...wow. And I like being able to visually design my resource scripts. It's got tons of libraries, and MSDN is pretty much the best resource to learn them all.

ggs
08-26-2001, 05:31 PM
I use both MSVC and LCC equally, but I'm addicted to the bountiful free features of LCC and am using it more and more than the other. It's my favorite.

SilentStrike
08-26-2001, 05:39 PM
Dev C++.

The best things in life are free... and the command line sucks.

Witch_King
08-26-2001, 05:45 PM
I choose none of the above. I like Visual Studio.NET the best.

-KEN-
08-26-2001, 05:48 PM
now THERE's a shocker.

gamegod3001
08-26-2001, 05:56 PM
>The best things in life are free... and the command line sucks.<

Um Why does the command line suck. If you don't like typing in comand line (like me) you can get an Ide like vide for free.

>MSVC++ all-the-way. I love the IDE. That's just such a great IDE...wow. And I like being able to visually design my resource scripts. It's got tons of libraries, and MSDN is pretty much the best resource to learn them all.<
-Ken most windows compiers have a visual resorce editor, or you can get one. Also what libarys does it have that I can't get for anoter compier.

>I use both MSVC and LCC equally, but I'm addicted to the bountiful free features of LCC and am using it more and more than the other. It's my favorite.<
They resoure editor is pretty good but probley could work better. (I use it for borland command line)

>I choose none of the above. I like Visual Studio.NET the best.

That would be Visual Studio.

-KEN-
08-26-2001, 06:00 PM
MSVCRT.lib, possibly? I dunno. Yes, I am aware that I can get a resource editor. I've tried pretty much every compiler but lcc and code warrior. I just love MSVC. I'm so used to it that when I use the POS (not as in the computer as in an acronym for...oh, nevermind!) Borland C++ Builder at school, I get aggrevated.

>That would be visual Studio

Right, but it doesn't say visual studio anywhere, does it? :p

Witch_King
08-26-2001, 06:06 PM
Visual C++6 is not Visual Studio.NET. I'm not going to cast a vote at all. When you see Visual Studio.NET your head will explode and you will not have to ask silly questions like "Which compiler is the best".

ggs
08-26-2001, 06:15 PM
I have a copy on a DVD, but no DVD rom :(

Witch_King
08-26-2001, 06:22 PM
It is also recommended that VS.NET beta 2 be installed on Win2k, so if you don't have a dvd drive than I doubt that you have Win2k either. Maybe get a new computer at Christmas time with WinXP on it. By that time VS.NET will be completed and you won't have to use the beta. There is overhead so it probably wouldn't be great on a wimpy computer either, but on the right system it is a programmers dream. There are hundreds of new features and the whole concept of creating applications is different than previous versions. It's more than a compiler.

ggs
08-26-2001, 06:26 PM
I have a copy of 2k, it's just not installed yet. I'm too lazy to create installation disks and go through the hassle of installation.

My hardware is basically < 3 months old, I just don't have a DVD rom.

Maybe rather than being vague, you could enlighten us and tell us a few key points as to why it's so great?

Witch_King
08-26-2001, 06:39 PM
Installation disks? If you have Win9X/ME than just put in the Win2k CD and press a button, that's about it for installation.

Okay you have a good computer, why don't you use it? If you want information about .NET than get a copy of the september issue of MSDN Magazine or the loads of information AND MOVIES at microsoft.com

ggs
08-26-2001, 06:42 PM
oh, come on.

if you want to keep telling us how superhumanly great it is, and how it will change our world forever, tell us WHY. you're being just as bad as your stereotypical linux zealot.

Witch_King
08-26-2001, 06:47 PM
Information on .NET is not difficult to find. I have a collection of articles that were free at microsoft.com. There are about 50 articles, each about 10 pages long. I have no interest in educating you about .NET. This is just what I am doing. It is what I am learning about and am very excited about.

There are also lots of free movies at mcirosoft.com. Each movie is about 1 hr long. I have something like 15 movies on .NET

ggs
08-26-2001, 06:50 PM
You have no interest in telling us why you are screaming THAT .NET AND EVERYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH IT ARE THE BEST PIECES OF SOFTWARE ON EARTH, you mean.

Witch_King
08-26-2001, 06:58 PM
I just want to write superior programs. What is wrong with that? .NET is my dream environment for learning. I like the red carpet treatment. There are so many new and powerful concepts to learn in order to use .NET, I can't afford to wait.

I have a .NET Framework book in my hand right now. It's called .NET Framework Essentials by OReilly publishing. I have to get to this!!! What else do you want?

ggs
08-26-2001, 06:59 PM
That's fine, but if you're going to go about telling everyone on the forum over and over again that it's better, you'd best be ready to give reasons why or SHUT UP. I don't want to hear it's better, I want to hear WHY if you must talk about it. That's all I ask.

Witch_King
08-26-2001, 07:03 PM
I might go into publishing books at some point but not today. This is definately a subject that I could write a whole book on. Why don't you just download the movie on C# and sit back with a coffie. You will learn many things. There are also movies on the .NET framework itself.

Don't worry I am not nearly finished with talking about .NET. Do you want the URL?

gamegod3001
08-26-2001, 07:04 PM
Witch_Craft.net this.net poll.net is.net on.net C/C++.net compilers.net so.net what.net would.net make.net so.net great.net that.net it.net needs.net its.net own.net catogory.net.

>You have no interest in telling us why you are screaming THAT .NET AND EVERYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH IT ARE THE BEST PIECES OF SOFTWARE ON EARTH, you mean.<

>Information on .NET is not difficult to find. I have a collection of articles that were free at microsoft.com. There are about 50 articles, each about 10 pages long. I have no interest in educating you about .NET. This is just what I am doing. It is what I am learning about and am very excited about. <
I've figured it out, ever time Witch_Craft looks in to something diffrent he belives it rules. Maybe he should look into being poor ;)

dirkduck
08-26-2001, 07:26 PM
MSVC++ cause it has one snazzy IDE, in second place would be DevC++ cause its freeware, and cause its a really great IDE (and with the MINGWN or whatever compiler) for poeple who cant afford the expensive ones. cheers

Stoned_Coder
08-26-2001, 07:46 PM
I use msvc 6 pro mostly

I also have a copy of borland 4.52 which gets an occaisional airing.

I am not a lover of msvc but it is the best tool for windows programming.

I have heard many good things about metrowerks codewarrior but have yet to try it.

doubleanti
08-26-2001, 11:17 PM
DJGPP...

it's free, DOS, has mem access i need... it doesn't have an editor that i particularly like though... RHIDE and EMACS i dont' like... (especially RHIDE, don't like text-mode editors... i use the one with BC45...) it fits me very well!

would you change the poll option so that it's spelled correctly??? :p thanks!

no-one
08-26-2001, 11:20 PM
CodeWarrior!!!

why is it not there im so disappointed...:(

it can compile for virtually any platform(OS/Processor)...even game consoles... nice IDE full syntax highlighting color picker like you see in paint programs... AND SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING WORKS NOT LIKE MSVC!!...

it is the tightest compiler on the planet...

example:

take an opengl dll and the exe used to call the DLL, and compiled them on MSVC and CodeWarrior

results:
MSVC DLL Release:
size 180k

MSVC EXE Debug(don't have release):
size 177k

exec speed: 430-500 fps

CodeWarrior DLL Release: no optimization
size 60k

CodeWarrior EXE Debug: no optimization
size 34k

exec speed: 450-515fps

say anything?

Witch_King
08-26-2001, 11:34 PM
AND SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING WORKS NOT LIKE MSVC!!...

Woah you really have no idea do you? You should see VS.NET. Also MS now has it's own game console called X-BOX

greenRoom
08-27-2001, 01:21 AM
i was surfin around on the net and found this site:

http://www.research.microsoft.com

anyone ever check it out? looks kinda cool.

Barjor
08-27-2001, 12:07 PM
So you want us to go to Microsofts site and get information on why .NET is such a good thing ? How about some non bias input. Do you have any non Microsoft information that explain why it is as great as you say? I got the DVD, installed it and wasn't impressed at all. C# doesn't look much different then Java. And C++ in the .NET sems to be the unwanted child. I also have some pretty serious doupts about the security in the CRL (much like JVM). My vote goes to VS6.0 because it is so easy to navigate and don't control what I try to do.I also like the MSDN help.

Nick
08-27-2001, 09:30 PM
djgpp and dev-c++ are the same compiler?
What your really argueing about is what computing environment
is better which is most important thing.

Hillbillie
08-28-2001, 05:53 PM
We all know that DJGPP is the best one!!!

But seriously, it's the only compiler that even comes close to what I need right now. For DOS programs, I use Borland C, and for Windows progs, I turn to VC++...

I'm growing more fond of DJGPP everyday, though :)