PDA

View Full Version : My Dark Secret is out.

incognito
04-22-2003, 10:29 AM
I do not know how to use a debugger....... :( Never used one in my whole intire life, but now I want to learn to.....anyone know of a good tutorial to learn to use the debugger that comes with VC++? Thank you.

mithrandir
04-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Try the MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com/) - you should find something if run a search.

alpha
04-22-2003, 04:49 PM
I haven't used one yet.

RoD
04-22-2003, 05:34 PM
nor have i.

Imperito
04-22-2003, 05:46 PM
I use gdb somewhat regularly.

Perspective
04-22-2003, 05:54 PM
i only use the MSVC++ one when my program crashes and it says "click cancel or debug" in which case you hit debug and it either points to the line of c++ code that caused the error or gives you an assembly dump. it can be handy.

BMJ
04-22-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Perspective
i only use the MSVC++ one when my program crashes and it says "click cancel or debug" in which case you hit debug and it either points to the line of c++ code that caused the error or gives you an assembly dump. it can be handy. agreed

frenchfry164
04-22-2003, 06:13 PM
same here

squid
04-22-2003, 06:21 PM
ITs fun to mess with the asm dump. Just rembmer setting esp to 00001000 and eip to ffffffff

:)

Xei
04-22-2003, 06:33 PM
I'm sure you've all used a debugger, as you must've had at least 10 crashes before.

Speedy5
04-22-2003, 07:24 PM
I think that I use the debugger in every program I write for at least 1/10th of the time it took to write. Its just soo easy to use. Press F10 to step into and see your execution unfold (F5 to just execute normally until:::), use breaking points to stop when you want to, use the watch to find out when certain variables change and where, and use the immediates/auto to find out any variable's value at a certain time during deugging. Its cake and its easy and it saves tons of time.

adrianxw
04-23-2003, 12:36 AM
I don't understand how people can possibly work without a decent debugger. I used to have to put debugging statements into code and all that stuff, but frequently, that changes the behaviour of the program. Give me a good debugger anyday now.

The debugger with MS VC++ is pretty good, but is no use for debugging extensively multithreaded code, you can't attach the debugger on a "per thread" basis.

novacain
04-23-2003, 01:15 AM
I don't understand how people can possibly work without a decent debugger.

Essential tool.

I like in VC++ [CTRL]+B where I can set conditional break points.

biosninja
04-23-2003, 01:26 AM
Same here...never used on before...never needed one though

Carlos
04-23-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by adrianxw
I don't understand how people can possibly work without a decent debugger.

I agree: once programming is part of your work, you can't avoid debugging.
You might not need it while doing some homework-alike projects, however, once a project becames a little more complex, you'll find this tool useful.

Originally posted by adrianxw
The debugger with MS VC++ is pretty good, but is no use for debugging extensively multithreaded code, you can't attach the debugger on a "per thread" basis.

Indeed, it's a nightmare. Trace outputs, conditional breakpoints are a good alternative to catch errors in multithreaded programs (it's real "fun" to search the "bad" thread within a trace output file of more Mbytes ;> ).

alpha
04-23-2003, 07:34 AM
well, I haven't come across a program that I needed to use one, I still need to learn how to use one; i.e. setting breakpoints, using watch, etc. I'll probably have more use for it in college, or after college.