PDA

View Full Version : car systems...

TechWins
04-16-2003, 01:07 AM
What kind of system do you have in your car? I'm going to be buying a system for my car soon, and here is what I have tentatively decided upon. . .

Alpine 6" x 9" 3-Way Speaker
Brand/Model: APN SPS690A
Peak Power Handling (Watts) - 250
$109.99

the links may or may not work (http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1644358972.1050471290@ @@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadcidhdgmldcfngcfkmdffhdffl.0&catoid=-8868&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_38&oid=68326)

Alpine 12" 1000-Watt Car Subwoofer
Brand/Model: APN SWR1241D
$199.00
***I'm going to be getting two of these subs bc at Circuit City they have a buy one sub get one for free***

link (http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1644358972.1050471290@ @@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadcidhdgmldcfngcfkmdffhdffl.0&catoid=-8871&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_30&oid=50611)

Alpine 2/1 Channel V-Power Series Amplifier
Brand/Model: APN MRPT220
$129.99
***I might change my mind and buy a better amp depending on my money situation***

link (http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1644358972.1050471290@ @@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadcidhdgmldcfngcfkmdffhdffl.0&catoid=-8865&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_3&oid=68782)

Alpine In-Dash CD Player
Brand/Model: APN CDM7874
$159.99
***I might change my mind and buy a better cd player depending on my money situation***

link (http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1644358972.1050471290@ @@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadcidhdgmldcfngcfkmdffhdffl.0&catoid=-8864&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_12&oid=48165)

It's not the greatest, but it sure is close to being completely top of the line. The subs and the speakers are very nice. All of it is at a reasonable price, too, coming to a complete total of $600. BUT the lucky guy that I am, one of my best friends happens to work at Circuit City. So he gets everything at whole sale price, which means that the complete total could go as low as $350 or less. Woohoo I'm so happy! After installation (labor and parts) and the discount the price will probably be around anywhere from $450-$600. Ya ya ya that's bad ***!

Alright go on now...start you're bragging and tell me what your system is.

Fountain
04-16-2003, 01:24 AM
I suppose they are all ok until they get nicked.

Shadow
04-16-2003, 02:13 AM
Not a bad little budget system..stay away from 6x9's.

TravisS
04-16-2003, 03:20 AM
Relatively simple, but I'm thinking of upgrading my subs/box sometime soon.

Sony Mobile ES 6.5's in front door (~$120 list, paid $100)
10" Kicker Impulse x 2 (8 ohm :( $150/per list, paid $150 total)
Sony Xplod 4/3/2 Amp (~$350 if I remember right)
And the new jewel, a Pioneer Premier DEH-P740MP ($340 list, paid $200)

You're not picking a bad system at all, you're subs will certainly be better than mine, but I got mine about 4 years ago when I was young and poor :p

It's great knowing people in good places eh? Why are you paying for install though? It's really not a challenge to do it yourself, I assure you.

If you want to see a kick ass system you should see my boss's car. He's one of the custom installers at the local Magnolia Hi-Fi (I do computer work for him) and OMFG! It will r0x0r your s0x0rs. He's toned it down a bit, but prior it was show ready with over $25,000 in parts and labor.

Cheeze-It
04-16-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by TravisS
He's toned it down a bit, but prior it was show ready with over $25,000 in parts and labor.

What an idiot. $25,000 worth of parts and labor on a $9,000
Hyundai Elantra... Smooth... Wait until he gets rear-ended by a
teenager on a moped. Hyundais can't take that much abuse. That
$25,000 will be a total loss.

Really, what's so great about having a loud stereo system in your
car? Cars have windows for a reason: so you don't annoy the hell
out of pedestrians with your Linkin Park CDs. If I hear one more
person playing Meteora out of their car, I'm kicking their head in.

minesweeper
04-16-2003, 04:11 AM
>>I suppose they are all ok until they get nicked.<<

LOL, ha ha, spot on!!

RoD
04-16-2003, 04:33 AM
sony xplode 5 inch in dash, dunno the wattage. 400watt xplode 8 inch inc in doors, sony xplode head unit, dual sony explode 760watt amps powering two (one each) 15inch solar barricks by kicker in the hatchback.

Liger86
04-16-2003, 05:16 AM
I got no car :)

alpha
04-16-2003, 06:29 AM
2 MTX Thunder 4122 2 channel amps, Pioneer 6.5s up front, Sony 6x9s in the back, Kenwood deck, Phoenix Gold Wiring

I agree, install is not that complicated. And I hear horror stories about Circuit City installs, for example, hard wiring decks.

biosninja
04-16-2003, 09:15 AM
Ahhhhh. I got a 12" Pioneer VCCS 600 watt, 2 Pioneer 6x9 350 watt, 1200 Watt Calibra 4 chanel amp, 2 250 watt midranges in my front doors and 2 dash mount 200 watt tweeters. With the sub in a custom built pressure bin. And a JVC 45x4 watt front loader

RoD
04-16-2003, 11:26 AM
took me an hour to install my system, and thats only cuz i spent 15 minutes looking for the wire i kept mis-placing.

Perspective
04-16-2003, 12:07 PM
panasonic deck, factory door speakers, factory rear speakers... lol

im all about the speed, i dont want the extra weight of subs.

SourceCode
04-16-2003, 12:36 PM
What kind of system do you have in your car?
Im poor, I have a really crappy radio:(

TechWins
04-16-2003, 02:26 PM
I suppose they are all ok until they get nicked.

Well, everything is "ok" until it gets damaged. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard...

Not a bad little budget system..stay away from 6x9's.

Nah, those speakers I showed are really good.

It's great knowing people in good places eh? Why are you paying for install though? It's really not a challenge to do it yourself, I assure you.

Yeah, maybe I might try to do it by myself instead and save some money. If worst comes to worst I could always have my friend who works down there install it for me and maybe give him some money. In fact I'll probably do just that; give him like $50 for installing it all for me and getting me a good deal on the system itself.

Ethic, I don't listen to Linkin Park. I don't listen to anything that is played on the radio, just to let you know.

TravisS
04-16-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by ethic
What an idiot. $25,000 worth of parts and labor on a $9,000
Hyundai Elantra... Smooth... Wait until he gets rear-ended by a
teenager on a moped. Hyundais can't take that much abuse. That
$25,000 will be a total loss.

Really, what's so great about having a loud stereo system in your
car? Cars have windows for a reason: so you don't annoy the hell
out of pedestrians with your Linkin Park CDs. If I hear one more
person playing Meteora out of their car, I'm kicking their head in.

Dude, what are you talking about? I never said what kind of car it was. But if you must know, a 2002 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with gold trim packages. Top of the line. That's a $30,000 car...

dP munky
04-16-2003, 07:25 PM
i agree why put all that money into a sound system when you could put that into a NEW car....i wouldnt put more than 100 bucks into a sound system (and yes it can be done) than waste money. Why put more money into it? You arent in your car ALL the time so it's almost useless to put a lot of money into it. I'd rather dump 3000 dollars into my house or a better car, or SOMETHING other than a dumb radio

TravisS
04-16-2003, 07:54 PM
Why put more money into your computer? It's equally as pointless :rolleyes:

biosninja
04-16-2003, 07:58 PM
Why put more money into your computer? It's equally as pointless

Ditto!

Some people like fast cars, others like cars with massive sound systems

frenchfry164
04-16-2003, 07:59 PM
I don't see why people like to have such a loud radio. Do you get some kind of rush driving down the streets forcing people to listen to your music, regardless if they like it or not. I can understand if you can hear the radio outside the car when you are close to it, but the people who you can hear when you stop at a stop light and you are like 3 cars back that make me mad.

When I get my car, I plan on spending about $250. $150 on a Sony XPlod 52x4 CD player, and the rest on some front 3-ways and rear 2-ways.

biosninja
04-16-2003, 08:02 PM
ok, i admit...what you describe is going over board. any thing below that (like mine) is acceptable. Some people just like to have almost the same effect of sound in their cars as they get in a night club?

dP munky
04-16-2003, 08:06 PM
>>Why put more money into your computer? It's equally as pointless

i think there's more to be gained by dumping money into a computer than a sound system...im just saying, why does it have to be so loud, when you drive youre sitting within 4 feet of ALL the speakers in the car, why do they have to be so powerful that you can hear it from 300 feet away?? thats the part thats pointless?

another thing, why do people have wings on their cars?? Why has it become a necessary for everyone to have a Boeing 747 wing on their car? Seriously, what the hell is it for? Especially on a crappy car, why not save your money and get a car that GOES fast not waste money on one that LOOKS fast

TravisS
04-16-2003, 08:06 PM
That's what I would say. It's just fun to have loud bass/music. Sometimes I just crank it up, because I want to, and honestly I don't care if other people hear it or not.

My system is certainly not something that will rattle your insides, but you can hear it from outside the car.

Anyway, sometime it's just fun to see how loud it will play. Ever heard of DB drags? I think it's basically the same thing on the street. People showing off how loud it will go. Most people that are really into stereo's will pay attention. If you crank it up, and people start looking, it's kinda something to be proud of.

Nobody expects you to understand why.

{edit}

lol at the wing. I agree with that, I don't understand why people put gigantic spoilers on front wheel drive cars. All you get is the exact opposite of the purpose, since the faster you go the more push on the back and an equal amount of lift on the front (drive whels :p ).

dP munky
04-16-2003, 08:08 PM
>>it's kinda something to be proud of.

like when you whip out your member and say "look how much bigger mine is than yours" thats kinda the same principal

TravisS
04-16-2003, 08:09 PM
exactly :p

Do you have any hobbies? Do you have anything you're proud of? Do you have things you enjoy doing, and enjoy it when you did good?

That's all this is, if you can't understand it that doesn't mean everybody who does it is crazy or something like that.

People enjoy different things. Some people like stereo stuff, some cars, some computers, etc... I've been installing stereo's since I was 14, and have installed probably 20+ stereo's in 7+ cars. I have cycled through probably 3-4 complete systems as I continually upgrade. It's fun, it's something I enjoy, and it's something I feel I'm quite good at.

Cheeze-It
04-16-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by TravisS
Dude, what are you talking about? I never said what kind of car it was. But if you must know, a 2002 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with gold trim packages. Top of the line. That's a $30,000 car...

Liar. He drives a Hyundai, not Honda. You must have misunderstood
him. Don't feel bad, though. It's a common mistake.

Your boss is one of those suburban-homies, huh? He's a wuss; I
could take him.

I don't listen to anything that is played on the radio, just to let you know.

You're missing out on some good bands. You're not one of
those "indie kids", are you? I hope not, because then I'd have to
beat you up.

These obscure, independent bands are only "independent" because
record labels don't think they're talented/original/creative enough
to invest in them. Oh, but they're about "the music." I guess people
that care about making good music aren't allowed to take money.
Garbage..

TravisS
04-16-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by ethic
Liar. He drives a Hyundai, not Honda. You must have misunderstood
him. Don't feel bad, though. It's a common mistake.

Your boss is one of those suburban-homies, huh? He's a wuss; I
could take him.

lol at that. No, if you were to re-read my first post I said he's a custom stereo installer at Magnolia Hi-Fi. Bit of marketing in that car, not that he's a suburban-homie. He spends most of his time listening to talk radio :p.
Oh, bearing that fact in mind, the $25,000 would be a customer's prices. Seeing as how he gets parts at whole sale and he did all the labor simself it actually cost him much less :cool:. Same with the car, he got it used with 4300 miles for about $24,000.

But yeah, you probably could take him. He's not exactly a body-builder or anthing :p

dP munky
04-16-2003, 08:27 PM
might i suggest some reading for all you "hobbyists" out there

i dont have any hobbies im a boring loser w/nothing better to do w/my time than criticize those that i do not understand

http://maddox.xmission.com/civic.html

TravisS
04-16-2003, 08:36 PM
Hehe, I don't disagree bashing ricers ;)

Assuming of course you're talking about true ricers. There's a difference between people who make their cars look fast and those actually who make their car fast :p

I have an '01 Accord LX Coupe. I put new rims on it (17" rims + 225/45/17 tires = $600) because the stock 15" steel wheels with plastic hubcaps look so bad even my 60 year old father said they looked crap. I put a different muffler on it because
(A) I wanted a better looking exhaust. Dual tips like 5th gen Accords instead of single tip. Oh, 1.5" tips not 5" :rolleyes:
(B) I wanted a slightly more agressive sound (it is NOT a straight through farter muffler).

And just keep in mind stereo enthusiast != ricer.

Cheeze-It
04-16-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by dP munky
might i suggest some reading for all you "hobbyists" out there

i dont have any hobbies im a boring loser w/nothing better to do w/my time than criticize those that i do not understand

http://maddox.xmission.com/civic.html

Eh, maddox isn't important. Nobody should listen to anything he
says. He's just a gimic. He wants to be famous...

Maddox Sez:
It takes a lot to keep this site going, but if you want to really help
me out, and you know someone in the media, contact me
(subject line "media" will be prioritized). I have a lot more ideas
than I have time to write about. I have ideas that might be useful to you.

What a dork.

He's a rip off of ethic. Do you think it's a coincidence that we both
live in Salt Lake City? No, of course not... Plus he's an idiot. Anybody
that didn't like Titanic is an idiot.

dP munky
04-16-2003, 08:41 PM
it just seems to me like everything these people do "ricer" or not is to attract attention to their car: loud muffler, loud stereo, aircraft wing on their trunk, neon lights that dont seem to light up anything but whats directly underneath the car....etc.

im just saying it seems pointless to me, its not that i dont understand i just think its dumb....end of story

dP munky
04-16-2003, 08:45 PM
>>He wants to be famous...
11 million hits, i'd think he's close...

>>He's a rip off of ethic. Do you think it's a coincidence that we both
live in Salt Lake City? No, of course not... Plus he's an idiot. Anybody
that didn't like Titanic is an idiot.

coincidence?...maybe, but you dont have a web site so we'll never know,

if anybody that didnt like titanic is an idiot, than im idiot number 1, that movie was awful, i was so ........ed when people in my school were like, "oh my god, i've seen it like 3 times already and im going again this weekend" ...what a joke

TechWins
04-16-2003, 11:52 PM
dp munky, I have a huge passion for music. Therefore when I can't listen to music that I like it irritates the hell out of me. Right now I'm going crazy only being able to listen to the radio. Also, I need a new sound system in there, as well, because my current speakers are terrible. Having a better system is going to make me a lot happier, so spending a lot of money on it is an easy decision, imo.

frenchfry, no, I could careless whether people are hearing my radio or not. It's just that I get a lot more enjoyment listening to my music really really loud. What's wrong with that?

ethic, I'm not missing out on anything. I like the music I listen to, and none of the bands are per say "indie". They all belong to major record labels, but they still aren't played on the radio. A few of the bands that are my favs that are recently starting to get played on the radio are Finch, the Used, and Taking Back Sunday. It's very irritating hearing these bands on the radio. The radio only ruins the music. Plus you start to get more people starting to listen to the music only b/c they hear it on the radio. Most people will only listen to a band if they're popular. THIS ..........ING ........ES ME OFF!!! It's the kids that call themselves punk/emo fans when they listen to .......... like Simple Plan, Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Sum 41, and other crap like that. Then once they hear a band like Finch they start liking them, and it gives what I listen to a bad name. Ok, no one hear is going to get my point, so I'm going to stop talking now...

dP munky
04-17-2003, 12:00 AM
Tech, i totally get your point, i agree w/you about the radio only ruining music, i really do and im glad im not the only one who hates the radio. but IMO i just find it dumb to put TOO much money into it, in my old car i had a 50 dollar cd player and 2 10 dollar radio shack speakers, not saying thats better, just saying that personally putting more than a couple hundred into something you wont get THAT much use out of...seeings we dont drive more than and hour or 2 a day...at most...

as for the listening to music loud thing, i cant stand that, the problem is, most people dont know the difference between loud and hey retard youre annoying

TravisS
04-17-2003, 12:02 AM
My job involves being in my car upwards of 10 hours a day ;)

At least I have an excuse :p

Cheeze-It
04-17-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by TechWins

ethic, I'm not missing out on anything. I like the music I listen to, and none of the bands are per say "indie". They all belong to major record labels, but they still aren't played on the radio. A few of the bands that are my favs that are recently starting to get played on the radio are Finch, the Used, and Taking Back Sunday. It's very irritating hearing these bands on the radio. The radio only ruins the music. Plus you start to get more people starting to listen to the music only b/c they hear it on the radio. Most people will only listen to a band if they're popular. THIS ..........ING ........ES ME OFF!!! It's the kids that call themselves punk/emo fans when they listen to .......... like Simple Plan, Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Sum 41, and other crap like that. Then once they hear a band like Finch they start liking them, and it gives what I listen to a bad name. Ok, no one hear is going to get my point, so I'm going to stop talking now...

If you hate anybody, you should hate the bands. They're the ones
responsible for them being on the radio. They're not victims of
greedy record labels. It doesn't matter, anyway. The only people
I hear complaining about radio-bands are the punk kids...

//begin anti-punk scene rant...

People in the punk scene are selfish. It's like, they want the music
for themselves and can't accept the fact that other people listen
to it. What's so important about being different? I've said this
so many times that saying it again is bound to anger me because
it just goes to show that people aren't listening to me (which, if
they knew what's best for the planet, they would be); but putting
an effort into being different is exactly the same as putting an
effort into being the same. In both circumstances, you're concerning
yourself with what other people are doing; what other people
are thinking. Just be. If you like listening to something, listen to it.
If you don't, don't. It isn't a hard concept to grasp.

Let's not forget the fact that the whole punk scene is based on
hypocrisy. How many times have you heard a punk rock dweeb
spouting off about how anti-conformist they are, while at the
same time noticing that he (or she) has put more of an effort into
mimicking a stereotype than the "normal" people...? I dress for
one reason: because I don't want people to see me naked.
Expression through fashion is the lamest concept that any angst-
ridden teenager has ever come up with. It doesn't exist. Punk
rockers are trying to fit into to a social-niche the same way that
homies are.

Then you got the songs themselves. Non-artistic, non-metaphoric,
overly-blatant lyrics that attempt to vilify anybody that doesn't
abide by typical-of-punk life practices (veganism, atheism) over
un-melodic, heavily-distored, repeatitive music that, by punk-
definition, takes no skill to play.

Every punk band mimicks another one; that's why there are so
few punk bands that get signed to labels: it's almost impossible to
tell them apart. But I'd bet that if any of them believed that they
had an ounce of marketable talent, they'd ditch their mock-integrity
for a chance at fame and fortune. They're just kids that are too
stupid to know what's important and what's not. And if they're
not kids (as in 30) and are still in the Punk Scene, then they're
just pathetic.

And I'm sick to death of seeing them protest! They won't change
anything; punk never has and never will.

Fountain
04-17-2003, 01:58 PM
>>frenchfry, no, I could careless whether people are hearing my radio or not. It's just that I get a lot more enjoyment listening to my music really really loud. What's wrong with that?<<

Apparently Tech, it sends you 'a bit crazy'

My post was 'funny'-you know like humerous....I repeat...

They are all ok until they are nicked...

Understand now? Oh, forget it.
:rolleyes:

tgm
04-18-2003, 05:13 PM
my brother did this one:
http://www.caraudiomag.com/v_features/0211cae_lincoln/

I just have a simple setup. Memphis 4ch amp, JL 12" sub (flush mounted in the trunk, we removed the spare tire) and a set of JBL components with an old Alpine competition deck.

ZerOrDie
04-18-2003, 06:34 PM
Most people will only listen to a band if they're popular. THIS ..........ING ........ES ME OFF!!! It's the kids that call themselves punk/emo fans when they listen to .......... like Simple Plan, Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Sum 41, and other crap like that. Then once they hear a band like Finch they start liking them, and it gives what I listen to a bad name. Ok, no one hear is going to get my point, so I'm going to stop talking now...

well if their any good they will get famous and when they get famous they suck right because they are un-punk lmao

oh no finch is starting to get popular better ditch them and start hating them for their sucess

also if you spend 25k on your speaker system all its going to do for yourself is get a hearing aid

dP munky
04-18-2003, 08:06 PM
>>oh no finch is starting to get popular better ditch them and start hating them for their sucess

its not that at all, its just the fact that you feel connected w/a band and you like them for who they are and how they sound then all of the sudden some poser ass "punk" guy is like "yeah i love them they kick ass" (or some other lame ass remard that only a "punk" kid could come up with) and their so fake theyre transparent.....it's like someone takes something that's a part of you...

it happend to me with korn a long time ago, i loved these guys, the music was original and just...damn, it was good, and before you knew it, Follow the Leader is released and now everyone 'loves' korn....its more of a hate the fake trendy kids that follow them around, then a hate for their success....their success is what sparks it though, which is frustrating

TravisS
04-19-2003, 12:31 AM
I don't listen to really indy label type stuff, but I agree.

We have a few good radio stations out here (Seattle) and a few crap mainstream ones that like to play everything... as long as it's already been popular for 2 months. I must admit I really hate it when a good song/band goes from the original station (often first in the country to play a song/band) to the crappy mainstream stations :mad:

Evanescence is a good example of that. 107.7 was the first to play the song in town, as usual, and a few month later when they were already popular suddenly they start showing up on the mainstream stations :rolleyes:

"also if you spend 25k on your speaker system all its going to do for yourself is get a hearing aid"

Lol, exactly why he's sold half the stuff on e-bay and bought cheaper stuff. It was just too loud :p

TechWins
04-19-2003, 12:31 AM
ha, I was prepared to respond to your comment ZoD, but dp munky put it perfectly.

Btw, being famous doesn't mean you are truly a good quality band and not being famous doesn't mean that you are not a good quality band, as well as, vice versa.