PDA

View Full Version : Do you know if I can request genetic information about myself somewhere?

Zewu
04-13-2003, 06:26 PM
I would like to know what some of my genes are, for example the gene for hair colour, like from this thing I've got:

Hair Colour
Polygenic

Black |Very Dark Brown|Dark Brown|Brown|Light Brown
HHHH|HHHH-----------|HHHH-----|HHHH |HHHH
HHHH|HHH/h----------|HH/hh-----|H/hhh|/hhhh

Honey Blond|Blond |Very Light Blond|VERY light! Platinum
HHH/h------|HH/hh|H/hhh---------|hhhh
hhhh-------|hhhh-|hhhh-----------|hhhh

Do you know any site where I could get in touch with someone whom I could send something from myself so that that person could analyse it and get genetic code from it, and then return requested genetic information, for a price which we have agreed upon?

Like:

I send this person some money and a piece of myself.

After a while I get a letter that says this:

"Your gene for hair colour is: HHHHH/hhh,
Hence, your natural hair colour should be Brown"

sean
04-13-2003, 06:41 PM
Well it wouldn't be anywhere near that simple because hair color is represented by thousands of genes, but most doctors could either do it, or at the very least tell you where.

Commander
04-13-2003, 07:14 PM
r u sure u wanna let someone have your genetic information?

XSquared
04-13-2003, 07:22 PM
Good point. Then they might clone him, and we'll be stuck with two Zewu's... We MUST prevent him from doing this!

Silvercord
04-13-2003, 08:01 PM
I think it seems like a cool idea but I wouldn't know where to get it done.

Scourfish
04-13-2003, 08:41 PM
If the glove don't fit, then you must acquit!

GSLR
04-14-2003, 06:32 AM
Try FBI or CIA im sure they have more info about you, than you know about yourself, who knows what happens just after you are born and you get tugged injected and tested. Its just all of us never seem to remember !!!

shh oops there coming goto go l a t er .... .. .

hk_mp5kpdw
04-14-2003, 06:45 AM
Just put in "genetic" "testing" "services" on a search engine and see what comes up. Some sites offer free DNA test kits. A couple results:

GeneTree.Com (http://www.genetree.com)

QuestDiagnostics.Com (http://www.questdiagnostics.com)

beege31337
04-14-2003, 06:52 PM
I saw something like this on the news once.

there is some company that you can send hair or skin or whatever to and they will encode your DNA and save it on a CD for you.

google it up

Zewu
04-15-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Sean
Well it wouldn't be anywhere near that simple because hair color is represented by thousands of genes
Well, I know about a redness factor too, where it's about three stages of redness of hair. So, do you know of any more factors of these thousands of genes representing colour of hair?