PDA

View Full Version : The Ebonics Bible

DavidP
04-10-2003, 03:25 PM
I saw this website somewhere:

www.asksnoop.com

And so I decided to go check it out. Well it turns out that it translates webpages into ebonics.

So I decided that was pretty funny and I tested it on several pages.

Then I got an idea, what would the Bible look like in Ebonics?

:D

So I went to google and looked for an etext of the Bible, and used www.asksnoop.com to translate Genesis Chapter 1 into Ebonics for me.

If you wanna check it out, I put it on my site:

http://www33.brinkster.com/cyfallshs/genesis2.html

It is pretty funny (as long as you dont feel offended by seeing the Bible in ebonics)

dP munky
04-10-2003, 04:16 PM
i came to cprogramming.com and the welcome page read:

"Cprogramming.com is a web site designed help yo' ass learn C or C++ 'n provide yo' ass wit C 'n C++ programming resources n' $$$$. The Getting Started wit C++ section gives advice 'bout learning C++ n' $$$$. Learn from izzle C++ tutorials, or test yo' programming knowledge wit da C++ MegaQuiz n' $$$$. Yo' ass can subscribe Code Journal, a free biweekly programming newsletter, know what I'm sayin'? Don't forget bookmark this site 'n check back fo' updates n' $$$$. "

Unregd
04-10-2003, 08:09 PM
This automated translator provides a stereotyped and generalized version of the African-American English Vernacular (that would be the pompous, politically correct name for Ebonics). In truth this is nothing more than a marketing gimick done in poor taste. Linguists can tell you that Ebonics is a real language/dialect with its own grammatical rules that only have a similarity with standard American English.

Minus the "shiznet," "Dogg,"da," and "know what I'm sayin'?" this translator just phoneticizes common pronunciations that are hardly exclusive to Ebonics or any other "lower-class" speech variety.

dP munky
04-10-2003, 08:21 PM
glad to see we can all take a joke

stumon
04-10-2003, 09:56 PM
>> Minus the "shiznet," "Dogg,"da," and "know what I'm sayin'?" this translator just phoneticizes common pronunciations that are hardly exclusive to Ebonics or any other "lower-class" speech variety.

I love how people try to "sound" smart and dont even realize something like "phoneticizes" is not a word!

valar_king
04-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Unregd
This automated translator provides a stereotyped and generalized version of the African-American English Vernacular (that would be the pompous, politically correct name for Ebonics). In truth this is nothing more than a marketing gimick done in poor taste. Linguists can tell you that Ebonics is a real language/dialect with its own grammatical rules that only have a similarity with standard American English.

Minus the "shiznet," "Dogg,"da," and "know what I'm sayin'?" this translator just phoneticizes common pronunciations that are hardly exclusive to Ebonics or any other "lower-class" speech variety.

Wut ya go' do, dawg, punch me in m'grill?

TravisS
04-11-2003, 12:48 PM

Umm, no. This translator is based around Snoop Dogg, not around the African-American English Vernacular. I don't think that even you would disagree he has a slightly different way of saying things than most everybody else.

Nice try, but nope.

Xei
04-11-2003, 03:57 PM
Don't you hate hearing people actually talk like that though?

"Yo buss dis. folk who rapp this crap deserve to die. Sheeit!"

Unregd
04-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by stumon
>> Minus the "shiznet," "Dogg,"da," and "know what I'm sayin'?" this translator just phoneticizes common pronunciations that are hardly exclusive to Ebonics or any other "lower-class" speech variety.

I love how people try to "sound" smart and dont even realize something like "phoneticizes" is not a word!

Unregd
04-11-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by stumon
I love how people try to "sound" smart and dont even realize something like "phoneticizes" is not a word![/b]

Sure it is. If it was not a word, I would not have been able to type it. It may not appear in a dictionary, but does it follow the regular pattern { adjective + - -> verb }. If people always stuck to the words already in well-known dictionaries, the language would never change and be able to express new ideas or be able to express common ideas more effectively.

[i]Note: Please ignore the last post. It was messed up due to clicking the back button after an error message.

dP munky
04-11-2003, 08:31 PM
why doesnt unregd just register already?

valar_king
04-12-2003, 04:37 PM
cuz registring jus aint getto nuff fo him, yo.

stumon
04-12-2003, 07:22 PM
Sure it is. If it was not a word, I would not have been able to type it.

Ok, then "trumintracticularism" is a word now and its new meaning is shut the f**k up you stupid a$$. And, stop making up words.

:p

stumon
04-12-2003, 07:26 PM
Ok kids, lets use this new word in a sentence.

"Hey Unregd, how about you trumintracticularism."

DavidP
04-13-2003, 07:42 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Speedy5
04-13-2003, 09:26 PM
He sounds real smart.... Who are you?