PDA

View Full Version : women in the military

Pages : [1] 2

dP munky
04-04-2003, 07:28 PM
i just watched this lady on cnn saying women shouldnt be in this war .... blah blah blah, i just wanted to know what you guys thought? personally i dont have a problem w/it.

RoD
04-04-2003, 07:33 PM
My intention in this post is not to insult anyone. That said:

Alot of people say women, people with mental disabilities (small ones not BAD ones), gay people, and so on should not be allowed to serve in the armed forces. I say $$$$ that. I dont care who is in there so long as they are there to do the job and capable of doing the job assigned to them, bottom line. I would be honored to be represented by a gay person, a retard, a female, etc so long as they are there fighting for our cause, our freedom, and our beliefs they are an honor to me in and of that respect alone.

Govtcheez
04-04-2003, 07:35 PM
If they're enlisting, I've got no problem with them being in there. A woman can pull a trigger just as easy as a guy.

I'm glad they're not in the draft, though.

edit:hey dp - from now on, when you post polls, could you put an expiration date on them? Like 7 days or less would be cool.

RoD
04-04-2003, 07:38 PM
>>I'm glad they're not in the draft, though.

Sex before war! :D :D

alpha
04-04-2003, 07:42 PM
I don't have a problem with women being in the military. I agree with RoDs first post. As long as they are capable of their job and they do it, it's fine with me.

Govtcheez
04-04-2003, 07:43 PM
Erm... No, that's not really why. (yeah, I know you were joking. at least I hope so)

Women have a larger chance of being abused sexually if they're taken as POWs, and I can understand why a woman wouldn't want to subject herself to the possibility. If they it's a risk they're willing to take, though, more power to them.

CheesyMoo
04-04-2003, 07:49 PM
They still have the draft?

Govtcheez
04-04-2003, 07:50 PM
Hasn't happened since Vietnam, but males between 18 and some other age are require to register with Selective Service (and I think carry the card with them, too... I lost mine almost immediately)

alpha
04-04-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
Hasn't happened since Vietnam, but males between 18 and some other age are require to register with Selective Service (and I think carry the card with them, too... I lost mine almost immediately) Haha, I haven't signed up yet. I'll do it this weekend. But I turned 18 recently.

dP munky
04-04-2003, 07:54 PM
lost mine too....why arent women in the draft? thats kinda er....f'd up...right?

cheez- i'll do that next time, my bad

Govtcheez
04-04-2003, 07:55 PM
> why arent women in the draft?

Standard "women aren't suited for combat etc. etc."

Although I think I gave a pretty good reason.

RoD
04-04-2003, 07:56 PM
18 to 25 now.

Sorry i joked off it cheez, not used to you being serious hehe, my apologies.

Eibro
04-04-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
If they're enlisting, I've got no problem with them being in there. A woman can pull a trigger just as easy as a guy.

I'm glad they're not in the draft, though.

edit:hey dp - from now on, when you post polls, could you put an expiration date on them? Like 7 days or less would be cool. Sorry, I think that's complete garbage. I thought women and men were supposed to be treated equal? Forcing men to go to war while women don't have to. I could see this 50 years ago, but not now.

My future wife had better go to war. That or she'll be doomed to stay in my god damn kitchen and make me my god damn dinner every single day for the rest of my god damn life.

RoD
04-04-2003, 09:38 PM
LMFAO god damn man!

dP munky
04-04-2003, 09:39 PM
>>That or she'll be doomed to stay in my god damn kitchen and make me my god damn dinner every single day for the rest of my god damn life.

LMMFAO :D

youre right, i mean they do want equality, the only problem i see from women being in the service is the fact that some guys are too macho ya know "this man's army" i could see like hazing type stuff happening to women more often if they got full blown equality.....aka the drafting of women

squid
04-04-2003, 09:54 PM
Having Been in the Military I have heard arguments for both. I think that there are valid arguments for both. As for femalesin the Military in general that is no problem. I have worked with females who are just as (if not more) hard charging as all the males.
As to the combat issue I think they still have a choice. However the risks for mental abuse and physical abuse (read rape) is a lot higher. Also its a proven fact that the physical development of females and males are different, and males are physicaly stronger (on average) then women. No sexism here, just basic bio.

Now for the political issues. If I was given a choice between fighting next to a male that was drafted and who does not want to be there and a female who chose to be there then I would take the female any day of the week. Also the feminists that are in the street demaing equal treatement IMHO do not want true equality, just a reverse of what was happening several, 10 years ago, descrimination againt males (this is all personal opinion and from what I have watched on the political shows). What I dream of is a world that is both blind to color, and sex.
This may sound bad but a line from "The Hackers Manifesto" says it best. "We live in a world without skin color [, sexual bias,] with out nationality, with out religious bias"

If you want equality you have to have it whole, it can not be peacemeal, other wise its just another form of descrimination (That goes for all "we want to be equal groups")

kermi3
04-04-2003, 11:03 PM
Though biologically weak er physically, there is something to the old idea that women have a better natural knack for command and for multi-tasking. Maybe not the best grunts, but more complex jobs?

That aside, because I don't think it matters:

Equal rights = equal responsiablity

Everyone should have equal rights.

valar_king
04-05-2003, 12:23 AM
Feminists are SO hypocritical. It's all equal rights until I have to hold the door every time and put the seat down.

This guys puts it pretty well, if not over the top.
http://maddox.xmission.com/feminazi.html

Warning, offensive content.

dP munky
04-05-2003, 01:31 AM
THAT was the coolest reading ever! :D
that site is sooooo cool

squid
04-05-2003, 01:42 AM
What I was pointing out is that there are differences between males and females. And also the I was expressing (granted not that blunt) that Equal rights = equal responsiablityl

Panopticon
04-05-2003, 03:18 AM
This may be obvious but... wouldn't women serving in the armed forces distract men?
Same with astronauts and basically everything else.
But this distraction is negligible in everything else except very dangerous lines of work such as the military and space exploration... so i think women should not serve in the armed forces.

E.g if I was Hitler #2 and I had a world to conquer I would certainly not have women in my military force... -OR- Id have 100% women and no men but thats ridiculous for obvious reasons.

haha I think im gonna get flamed for this.. :)

SourceCode
04-05-2003, 04:01 AM
i just watched this lady on cnn saying women shouldnt be in this war .... blah blah blah, i just wanted to know what you guys thought? personally i dont have a problem w/it.

I agree 100%, if they wanna join the army/navy/etc whatever more power to them. I could care less also if they were in the draft or not because I'm not a woman.

-KEN-
04-05-2003, 08:57 AM
I'd have to say I agree with just about everyone so far...but I'm not 100% sure about the draft thing. Sure, women are at a higher risk for rape, but if they want total equality (to quote kermi3 "Equal rights = equal responsiablity(sic)"), you'd think that would include equal responsibility to their country.

>>My future wife

They're called "life partners", eiby.

valar_king
04-05-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by dP munky
THAT was the coolest reading ever! :D
that site is sooooo cool

I know, the guy's really messed up but it's funny to see him rant on everything from Muppets to the phrase "How are you?"
He's such a jerk, but he's a FUNNY jerk.

scott27349
04-05-2003, 10:12 AM
They burned there bra's, now they must pay! lol

sean
04-05-2003, 01:53 PM
I'm with Scott27349. All these people want to be treated as equals and given the same opportunities as everyone else. At least that's what they say when they're looking for good jobs. When it comes time for their turn to be shot at and actually have to earn something, they're a bunch of wimps. I think feminists should be included in the draft, traditional women shouldn't be. They should have a place where you register to be one or the other, so that nobody's trying to get the best of both worlds.

Eibro
04-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by -KEN-
I'd have to say I agree with just about everyone so far...but I'm not 100% sure about the draft thing. Sure, women are at a higher risk for rape, but if they want total equality (to quote kermi3 "Equal rights = equal responsiablity(sic)"), you'd think that would include equal responsibility to their country.

>>My future wife

They're called "life partners", eiby. Aww, if only more of the worlds men were like Ken... we wouldn't have to worry about women getting harassed or raped.

CheesyMoo
04-06-2003, 12:52 AM
I don't have a link or anything but in some state a bunch of women were protesting equal rights, then some woman was about to get the death penalty, and they protested it because she's a woman and she shouldn't be killed. Gimme a break...

CheesyMoo
04-06-2003, 12:57 AM
Oh by the way,

Best.

Site.

Ever.

dP munky
04-06-2003, 01:27 AM
oh, it is, it definately is

Unregd
04-06-2003, 11:09 AM
In my opinion, if men can be forced by their government to go off and fight and die for a cause, possibly an unworthy and wrong cause (e.g., the Vietnam War), in the interest of fairness and equality, the other 51% of the population should have that duty as well. Better than that would be to eliminate the draft completely and make the military all volunteer forever. Men, women, homosexual people, and almost anyone else mentally capable should be able to defend their nation if they want to do that.

The thing about feminism is that if the female professors (Women's Studies) who are at the center of feminist doctrine do not come up with off-the-wall ideas that get them into the news they might find students taking something else and therefore lose their jobs, I guess. I am not offended if a woman is attracted to me; but, if a woman or man finds being called something or being looked at in a certain suggestive way offensive, other people have an obligation to respect their wishes within reasonable limits. Many of the most vocal feminists occassionally make unrealistic and sometimes bigoted demands, and no one should feel obligated to respect those fantasies.

no-one
04-06-2003, 02:23 PM
there are about a million reasons why women are not allowed on the front lines, i won't go into them because its a lot to write, mainly it might work in other contries but the U.S. population is still to chauvinist(ie, not run by feminesists) to accept it without major problems. especially in combat sitations.

dP munky
04-06-2003, 02:40 PM
i still will never understand feminists, they scream equal rights, but then they want special treatmen, doesnt special treatment make things unequal???

Nick
04-06-2003, 05:20 PM
What do you mean by high risk though?
I would think the one in charge of military tactics, whom has
thousands under him/her, has alot more risk and responsibility than a grunt on the front lines.

dP munky
04-06-2003, 05:35 PM
when 'they' say high risk i think theyre refering to infantry kind of jobs...actual fighting.

windoze victim
04-07-2003, 05:59 PM
I agree that the high risk jobs would probably be the infantry man, err, PERSON, but if a woman can pass the same standards men can, why not let them/make them fight? I have also heard that women are better at multi-tasking than men, so they could be the militaries prime strategists/logistics people. Also, nowadays, aren't even "behind the lines" support people at risk? Take the recent event in the "op Iraqi freedom" with private Lynch. She wasn't even supposed to be where enemies would be. Nowadays, the supply lines or personel are targeted by our military, so wouldn't the enemy be targeting ours? So with that string of logic, if there isn't sufficient guarding for the supply lines, are we putting the "behind the lines people" at greater risk?

And yes, if they want equality, then women are in the draft.
Clear and Simple.

Oh, and if a women/girl finds a term derogitory(sp?), then inform the party that issued the term, and get over it.

sean
04-07-2003, 06:23 PM
Did you guys hear about those people who flew to Iraq to protest the war by acting as human shields, but then when Iraq told them that they would be assigned to a location to be human shields, they came back and started telling people all about how mean Iraq was to them...

And then apparently Winnie Mandela (I don't have a problem with Nelson Mandela - he was awesome, but his ex-wife was... well... read on) wanted to go to Iraq to do the same thing. As I understand it, the goal of a human shield is to REDUCE the likelihood of that place being targeted. If she was in my sights, well... good bye Iraq.

GGrrl
04-07-2003, 09:06 PM
...I know a lot of men who have no business being in the military....on the other hand I know some women, not many, but a few who should be.... :)

...just because women give life does not mean that we are not equipped to protect it and take it away if we need to...

...again the military is not for everyone....regardless of sex....

Xei
04-08-2003, 12:40 AM
I think that men and women should be enlisted. Since they decided that they get to vote, and be treated equally, then they should also be forced into war if enlistment is ever required. If emotional stability of females is what everyone worries about... drugs can fix that.

dP munky
04-08-2003, 12:56 AM
>>If emotional stability of females is what everyone worries about

then how come that doesnt effect them from voting?

Xei
04-08-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by dP munky
>>If emotional stability of females is what everyone worries about

then how come that doesnt effect them from voting?
Your right! OMG! We're on to something here! We can prove that if women cannot be enlisted, then they cannot vote! Excellent! I think this calls for new poll with evidence supporting our claims.

(and until the issue can be otherwise proven, then womens voting privileges should be removed for international security purposes)

Fountain
04-08-2003, 12:58 PM
Like said VERY early on, it is the physical differences that count.

Yes-and I know this to be true-women ARE smart and make good decisions under duress.

But what if a woman came up 'hand to hand' against a burly bloke soldier-it would be messy.

This is the 'age old' problem

GGrrl
04-08-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Fountain
....But what if a woman came up 'hand to hand' against a burly bloke soldier-it would be messy.....

...it totally depends on her training...if she was well trained in the martial arts (which unfortunately they do not learn much of in the US military...) she would be able to take him...don't you think??...but of course teaching Martial Arts would be "un-American" maybe??...I wonder...why don't they teach our girls some combat techniques which do not rely on muscle/physical power...

Fountain
04-08-2003, 02:25 PM
And then what? They would not teach the men the same techniques? And the enemy would promise their men are not 'Bruce Lee'?

Does not work. Soldiers are taught self defence (obviously) which involves (some) martial arts techniques.

For your argument to work, all the women would need to be 3rd Dans-just not plausible.

GGrrl
04-08-2003, 02:51 PM
...how about the men in the military who are not that strong...no one says anything about them...not all men in the military are big and burly....there is a place for them in the military...why?

...I do not believe that we are equal...men are stronger in some ways and women are stronger in others...why not take advantage of these strengths...instead of getting hung up on issues...

dP munky
04-08-2003, 07:44 PM
>>instead of getting hung up on issues...

thats the whole problem though, women want equality, they want to be able to fight but then expect not to ever have to go into combat, i'll tell you what, im not a very big guy myself, and if i ever ran up on a guy in a hand to hand situation, it wouldnt end well for me, so why should a women get special treatment because "she isnt as strong as a man"

Xei
04-08-2003, 08:05 PM
Exactly. Their rights should be removed.
Seriousely.

Xei
04-08-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Xei
Exactly. Their rights should be removed.
Seriousely.
Haha, bet you got aweful mad at that one didn't you?

GGrrl
04-08-2003, 11:04 PM
...oops I forgot...this place is for kids...

dP munky
04-08-2003, 11:07 PM
yes, when your argument is defeated...resort to acting like a child