PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla vs Opera::which to choose?

Waldo2k2
04-03-2003, 11:02 PM
I'm going to be getting a second browser besides IE, i don't care for netscape...and i've been hearing good things about mozilla and opera. I've heard that Opera is technically better, and i almost downloaded it...then i saw something about ads.
So, which do you think i should get, are the Opera ads very intrusive?

Xei
04-03-2003, 11:16 PM
I'd go with Mozilla. I've had opera before and it didn't seem to support as much as Mozilla. However, Mozilla also has quite afew problems with certain Java applets. I tried a very long time ago, so maybe it's changed. I just recommend downloading, and testing, them both. Try Java applets, asp, flash, download speeds, etc.. and compare to find out which one is best for yourself.

SourceCode
04-03-2003, 11:19 PM
I use mozilla, it's not so bad. I tryed Opera without the ads a while ago but it was so long ago I don't remember. With ads I wouldn't even consider it heh. Instead of Mozilla you also might want to look at Phoenix, it is a version of Mozilla that is much much faster.

Govtcheez
04-03-2003, 11:24 PM
I use Opera. The ads are pretty damn small, and I just ignore them. They don't jump around or anything. You could just pay to register, though. I've only had problems on a couple sites where they have flash ads embedded. That's kinda weird, but normal flash (for games and stuff) works fine. It's great.

HaLCy0n
04-03-2003, 11:24 PM
Phoenix is just the browser portion of mozilla without the mail client or chat client. I wouldn't say it's necessarily faster. It uses a *little* less memory from what I saw on my computer when I tried it, but I didn't really notice any performance differences.

I use Mozilla personally and I love it. I'd advise getting away from IE (Infinite Exploits).

Waldo2k2
04-03-2003, 11:31 PM
from those of you who've used both, which do you think gets bug fixes out quicker, from what i've seen it looks like pheonix/mozilla does. but im not sure. thanks again.

Xei
04-03-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by HaLCy0n
Phoenix is just the browser portion of mozilla without the mail client or chat client. I wouldn't say it's necessarily faster. It uses a *little* less memory from what I saw on my computer when I tried it, but I didn't really notice any performance differences.

I use Mozilla personally and I love it. I'd advise getting away from IE (Infinite Exploits).

Wierd eh? I think it's a conspiracy. Microsoft uses Internet Exploerer for excuses so that they can install anything they want on your system.

Eibro
04-04-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by HaLCy0n

I use Mozilla personally and I love it. I'd advise getting away from IE (Infinite Exploits). I agree-- Phoenix is a great browser. IE took the backseat on my computer.

dP munky
04-04-2003, 12:46 AM
>>Microsoft uses Internet Exploerer for excuses so that they can install anything they want on your system.

ever tried to look for the IE unistaller, i havent found one, maybe its my comp. but i dont think so

Xei
04-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by dP munky
>>Microsoft uses Internet Exploerer for excuses so that they can install anything they want on your system.

ever tried to look for the IE unistaller, i havent found one, maybe its my comp. but i dont think so

I read somewhere(I think Microsoft's Legal Info) that in Microsofts Anti-Trust lawsuit, Microsoft must allow the uninstallation of Internet Explorer, Windows Media player, etc, so that new ones can be installed over top. Have you ever tried to delete Media player? Try deleting, or renaming, its EXE and it will become recreated.

Vber
04-04-2003, 03:49 AM
Well, you'll get some problems with opera he is a great browser, he supports w3 and all, but the support for js and jscript isn't good enough like from IE and Mozilla. In other way, Opera is the FASTEST browser...

RoD
04-04-2003, 05:20 AM
i love opera 7.03, only one problem. The last few times i loaded it (launched it) it has given me a error message and all the favs and recently used URL's and saved passwords and such are gone...later today i'll post a screenshot.

RoD
04-04-2003, 05:22 AM
had time now, check this out:

Waldo2k2
04-04-2003, 07:09 AM
so the general concensus is that opera is faster, but lacks scripting support.

Which one do you guys think has the best feel?

alpha
04-04-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by RoD
had time now, check this out: hmm... haven't seen that before.

I use opera. The ad is on the top right, a bar about 1in by 5-6in. I don't even notice it anymore. And at this point, ad blocker just makes it one white box most of the time. I haven't tried mozilla yet, I may.

HaLCy0n
04-04-2003, 10:04 AM
I don't like Opera because you have to pay for it to get rid of those annoying ads. I see enough pop-ups on websites, I don't want to deal with another in my browser already. I haven't had a problem with Mozilla 1.3 yet, and if you just want a browser, try out Phoenix. I think only you can decide which browser you are going to like best :)

CompiledMonkey
04-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Phoenix rules! Besides, the Mozilla group is going to start using that now and ditch the old and bloated Mozilla code.

http://news.com.com/2100-1025-995251.html?tag=fd_ots

kermi3
04-04-2003, 12:42 PM
I use Opera 6.03. I love it, i don't even notice the add, and the mouse motions are wonderful. However, I recently tried upgrading to 7.03 and found it to be slow and horrible...so I've gone back to the speedy 6.03.

codingmaster
04-04-2003, 01:01 PM
opera sucks....
I hate it..... to think about the usage of opera.....

Big lacks in the scripting engine, not enough support for JavaScript, yes it understands w3c html standard, but it's just a Internet Explorer clone based on bugs.

Mozilla is my favorite browser at the moment, because:
-it's free
-it understands javascript and it's w3c optimized
-html 4.01 (w3c +adds)
-MathML support, which is very important
-you have all the other stuff, like java, flash, shockwave, quicktime plugged for it...
-it's very fast

and it doesn't cost you a penny!!!!

RoD
04-04-2003, 01:01 PM
hmm maybe i'll try your version kermi

Commander
04-04-2003, 11:49 PM
phoenix...it handles styesheets better then opera wish it could. + it's very simple to use. concidering that it;s still in it;s beta, it's really good!

Waldo2k2
04-05-2003, 12:45 AM
I went with phoenix

dP munky
04-05-2003, 01:48 AM
i just got Phoenix, i like it, i like it a hell of a lot better than IE....if only i could delete IE.....lol, i went to my ie folder, tried to click the uninstall information folder, and their dll and dat files...lmao, no uninstaller

-KEN-
04-05-2003, 09:02 AM
>>so the general concensus is that opera is faster, but lacks scripting support.

In the newer 7.0X versions, Opera has almost full scripting support. Most of the reviews of Opera you're getting are in old versions. Give it a try.

On a "weird but true" note, the Opera 7 beta didn't have ads, and I updated (I have 7.02 right now, RoD's made me wary of 7.03) to a newer version, and the ads aren't here. Mabe installing over the beta suppresses the ads?

//edit: I have Phoenix but I don't really like it all that much. It's so minimalistic. To tell you the truth, I can barely live without Opera's mouse gestures anymore. They are, without a doubt, the coolest thing in any program EVER.

alpha
04-05-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by -KEN-
>>so the general concensus is that opera is faster, but lacks scripting support.

In the newer 7.0X versions, Opera has almost full scripting support. Most of the reviews of Opera you're getting are in old versions. Give it a try.

On a "weird but true" note, the Opera 7 beta didn't have ads, and I updated (I have 7.02 right now, RoD's made me wary of 7.03) to a newer version, and the ads aren't here. Mabe installing over the beta suppresses the ads?

//edit: I have Phoenix but I don't really like it all that much. It's so minimalistic. To tell you the truth, I can barely live without Opera's mouse gestures anymore. They are, without a doubt, the coolest thing in any program EVER. yes the mouse gestures own me right now. i try to use them with IE at school, I just keep forgetting. Actually, I believe the free version of the final Opera 7.0 had no ads. Then I upgraded to 7.01, and it did, and has since then with 7.02 and 7.03

CheesyMoo
04-05-2003, 02:47 PM
There is a broswer called Phoinex that is based on Mozilla, it is smaller and doesn't have stuff like news groups and email and stuff. I like it alot, it might of already been mentioned, but I would say it's one of the best.

RoD
04-05-2003, 07:14 PM
7.03 is running fine now, it gives the error but the error doesnt do anything lmao. My system is being $$$$ty so its not opera i dont think, i need to revamp my whole pc and im too lazy.

-KEN-
04-05-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by CheesyMoo
There is a broswer called Phoinex that is based on Mozilla, it is smaller and doesn't have stuff like news groups and email and stuff. I like it alot, it might of already been mentioned, but I would say it's one of the best.

The thread just called. It asked that you READ IT BEFORE POSTING. :rolleyes:

>>yes the mouse gestures own me right now. i try to use them with IE at school, I just keep forgetting. Actually, I believe the free version of the final Opera 7.0 had no ads. Then I upgraded to 7.01, and it did, and has since then with 7.02 and 7.03<<

I went from the beta, to the release, to .01, to .02 and still no ads :dunno:. And yeah, I always try to use gestures in IE, too. It's annoying.

alex6852
04-05-2003, 10:41 PM
Mozilla is far more better than opera. First, It shows web-page as it is, while Opera can "forget something" ( I use v7.02). Second, Opera sucks when it komes to saving site to you hard-drive - it realy does something wierd. Add to this some special features of Mozilla and you have "best browser on earth".

alpha
04-05-2003, 10:43 PM
hmm... weird...

i didn't have the beta, i tend not to use beta versions. it doesn't bother me anyways, i don't notice it there anymore. i actually barely use that toolbar, combo of keyboard and mouse gestures.

cozman
04-05-2003, 11:25 PM
Mozilla is a great browser, and has some little things that people ignore yet they are still great. Tabbed browsing (if you have a middle button/wheel) go into options and look for "middle-click opens in new tab") it takes a little getting used to but it's really nice, also you can change what the default search engine is (i think everybody who knows you can change it has it on google) I've been using Mozilla since the 1.0 beta, and I'm about to test the 1.4 alpha right now, it's crashed 3 times _ever_ and I only blame 1 crash on Mozilla.. something with a printing problem in the 1.2 alpha IIRC.

-KEN-
04-06-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by cozman
Mozilla is a great browser, and has some little things that people ignore yet they are still great. Tabbed browsing (if you have a middle button/wheel) go into options and look for "middle-click opens in new tab") it takes a little getting used to but it's really nice, also you can change what the default search engine is (i think everybody who knows you can change it has it on google) I've been using Mozilla since the 1.0 beta, and I'm about to test the 1.4 alpha right now, it's crashed 3 times _ever_ and I only blame 1 crash on Mozilla.. something with a printing problem in the 1.2 alpha IIRC.

Opera has all of that, too :)

>>Mozilla is far more better than opera. First, It shows web-page as it is, while Opera can "forget something" ( I use v7.02). Second, Opera sucks when it komes to saving site to you hard-drive - it realy does something wierd.<<

I've never tried saving a site to disk with Opera, so I'm not sure how true that is on all systems. I usually use a site mirroring program to do it and set it on a specific page. On leaving on things on webpages...no. Just no. It doesn't translate malformed code well like IE can, but for the most part it displays everything IE can. Unless you can provide a specific example...I know it's never done that to me, though.

>>Add to this some special features of Mozilla and you have "best browser on earth".

HUH? Add what to some special features?

RoD
04-06-2003, 12:03 PM
Special features? Get real. I save them to hard disk through Opera all the time, i dont see anything wrong, weird, or out of place, what are you talking about?