PDA

View Full Version : Violence never solved anything...

sean
04-03-2003, 08:06 PM
... except the Kaiser's goal of world domination, the Great Depression, the Holocaust, the spread of communism, and a moron of a dictator's reign.

Why exactly is it that almost all of the protests that break out into violence are the ones with cliches about peace? I just wanted to know what everybody else though of the fact that all we ever see of protests is anti-war, when over 70% of the U.S. is in favor of the war?

Hillbillie
04-03-2003, 08:31 PM
>Why exactly is it that almost all of the protests that break out into violence are the ones with cliches about peace?<

Is that right? I don't think so. Most people protesting against war are for peace, and for the most part are peaceful themselves. If anyone's getting into a fight, it's probably people that have an axe to grind against the protesters...

CheesyMoo
04-03-2003, 08:40 PM
War protesters are dumb, I'm not saying that they are protesting for a dumb reason. But, the actuall people are stupid, as in unintellegent.

sean
04-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Bingo - that's what I'm getting at...

Well, true, but the percentage of anti-war protests that turn into riots is much higher than that of pro-war protests. I just find it ironic.

dP munky
04-03-2003, 08:46 PM
LMAO i couldnt agree more, it's like, no matter how noble the cause, once you get them all together they are a pack of wild morons

sean
04-03-2003, 08:50 PM
I'm guessing this is going to sound stupid to everybody else, but dP - what does LMAO stand for?

CheesyMoo
04-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Laughing my a$$ off... uhh oh potty mouth.

CheesyMoo
04-03-2003, 08:52 PM
I'm not a 10 year old girl, I just don't want the mods getting angry or something of the sort.

dP munky
04-03-2003, 08:55 PM
nah, they dont really care, you cant say many of the four letter words anyway

$$$$ $$$$ ass $$$$$ damn

sean
04-03-2003, 09:03 PM
You know, in New Zealand, just about every American cuss word aside for f*** and s*** were fine - they were used like you use crap, and then I got here and... well - that got a little ugly.

Govtcheez
04-03-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by CheesyMoo
But, the actuall people are stupid, as in unintellegent. There are 2 spelling errors in that sentence. I'm against the war. Kiss my ass.

Moron.

Scourfish
04-03-2003, 10:02 PM
Robert A Heinlein once wrote that violence has solved more conflicts in the past than any other form of mediation.

Then he made a deal with L. Ron Hubbard to see who could trick the most people with something big.

Govtcheez
04-03-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Scourfish
Then he made a deal with L. Ron Hubbard to see who could trick the most people with something big. In that case, I'm glad Hubbard won. I like Heinlein.

Scourfish
04-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
In that case, I'm glad Hubbard won. I like Heinlein.

Funny thing about that. While hubbard actually created a cult about aliens, Heinlein only wrote "Stranger in a Strange Land" which was about a martain religious cult.

The difference herin, though, was that when people asked Heinlein the meaning of his story, he replied that he was only writing a story and it didn't have any real meaning. However, the word grok is pretty :cool:

Govtcheez
04-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Think Dianetics was intended as the ultimate sci-fi book that just got out of hand?

HaLCy0n
04-03-2003, 10:18 PM
War protesters are dumb, I'm not saying that they are protesting for a dumb reason. But, the actuall people are stupid, as in unintellegent.

I'm against the war, and I consider myself far from stupid. I also know a lot of people that are against the war and not "unintellegent", as you say. Just because are not as quick to resort to violence does not make us dumb.

dP munky
04-03-2003, 10:34 PM
>>I'm against the war, and I consider myself far from stupid. I also know a lot of people that are against the war and not "unintellegent", as you say. Just because are not as quick to resort to violence does not make us dumb.

OMG are you people just not getting it, he didnt say people who were against the war are stupid, he's saying that when they all get together w/their signs, banners etc. they become this big band of idiots...its not just war protesers its all mobs of people.

Scourfish
04-03-2003, 10:37 PM
Think Dianetics was intended as the ultimate sci-fi book that just got out of hand?

Hubbard wrote Dianetics in like a period of a month, or so I've read, because he was broke and needed some money. There were studies done that showed that there are no healing powers associated with dianetics, and that's why the CoS dislikes psychs.

edit: If I've offended any scienos, then good.

Govtcheez
04-03-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by dP munky
, he didnt say people who were against the war are stupid Actually he did...
War protesters are dumb ... But, the actuall people are stupid, as in unintellegent.Scourfish - you appear to know a scary amount about scientology... Wtf for?

dP munky
04-03-2003, 11:01 PM
ok, ok, so maybe he did(lol, damn you cheez 2x's in 1 day)...im just saying....i agree w/him, i dont think it's dumb to be against the war, it just seems when large groups of people get together to protest anything, it gets outta hand (not ALL the time, but i think more often then not)

SourceCode
04-03-2003, 11:04 PM
I just wanted to know what everybody else though of the fact that all we ever see of protests is anti-war, when over 70% of the U.S. is in favor of the war?
Well considering the US is at war those 70% have nothing to protest about, except maybe to protest about anti-war protests lol. I mean we are at war, so why complain, they want war and they got it.

Xei
04-03-2003, 11:13 PM
I recently looked at the paper. I forget the exact percentages, but it was something like 71% of canadians agree with solving problems in Iraq with use of military action. But, then again, where exactly is this poll? I've never seen it. For all we know it was on the Heralds website and 10 people voted.

Govtcheez
04-03-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by dP munky
n large groups of people get together..., it gets outta hand (not ALL the time, but i think more often then not) snipped so it's right. If that's what was meant, then that distinction should have been made.

dP munky
04-03-2003, 11:35 PM
i agree, large groups of people easily turn into angry mobs, but are you saying war protestors dont get out of hand? not saying that all of em do by any means....but if not in the recent past in the 60's-70's?

Scourfish
04-04-2003, 12:46 AM
Scourfish - you appear to know a scary amount about scientology... Wtf for?

I could tell you, but the Co$ has pretty powerful lawyers, therefore I cannot divulge the OT writings or the NOTS pack, even though the case of Wollershiem vs the Church of Scientology ruled that religious organizations cannot have trade secrets. As consolation enjoy some scientology fanfiction (http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=147)

minesweeper
04-04-2003, 02:14 AM
Over here we call it crowd fever. As many know, England has a problem with football hooligans. Large crowds of people go to a match and then cause huge riots, especially at away internationals. However, to say that they are all unintelligent is incorrect. It's very strange, to say the least, but many of them have been found to be smart, intelligent and respectable professionals or businessmen during the week. They go along to a game and the emotion and the crowd fever just sweeps them along and turns them into a different person. It's a very strange phenomenon.

sean
04-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Govtcheez - that sentence actually has 3 spelling errors - moron.

They just found teror toxins in Iraq. I'd hate to say it... wait, no I wouldn't... we told you so.

HaLCy0n
04-04-2003, 10:07 AM
You do realize that even if those weapons were not there, we will find them anyway. We'll never know the truth. Our government will make it so the situation looks like whatever they want it to.

Edit:
Sean: You spelt "teror" wrong.

minesweeper
04-04-2003, 10:08 AM
>>They just found teror toxins in Iraq. I'd hate to say it... wait, no I wouldn't... we told you so.<<

Can I have a link please? I am not trying to be an argumentative arse. I just genuinely like to keep up-to-date and I don't want to trawl through all the news sites. BBC hasn't got the story yet.

sean
04-04-2003, 10:14 AM
http://www.msnbc.com/news/895185.asp?0ct=-353

And here's some other stuff about what's been happening (and if you haven't heard already, they secured "Bush International Airport" (formerly "Saddam ...") early this morning.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/895475.asp?0ct=-353

These are links to breaking news, so use them quickly before they expire and the links change.

Govtcheez
04-04-2003, 10:19 AM
> that sentence actually has 3 spelling errors

actual and unintelligent. What's the other one?

> "Bush International Airport"

Did they really rename it that? That's kinda crappy...

sean
04-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Crap... now I feel stupid. I thougt it only had one 'l'. Uh... "Made you look?"