PDA

View Full Version : to webmaster

Stoned_Coder
04-01-2003, 10:00 PM
Please,please,please can we have automatically disabled smilies within code tags.

Please. They are so irritating especially when you cut and paste from someone who forgot to disable smilies!

ygfperson
04-01-2003, 10:11 PM
This sounds like a well-thought out, implementable idea. Better yet, it makes sense.

alpha
04-01-2003, 10:26 PM
I agree. I know there is an option for people to disable smilies, but some people forget.
They are so irritating especially when you cut and paste from someone who forgot to disable smilies! agreed.

XSquared
04-01-2003, 11:06 PM
I always thought that the little smilies in my classes took them to a higher level of 'coolness'.[/sarcasm]

ammar
04-02-2003, 12:29 AM
I voted for "Automatic Disabled", but it's not very necessary, because you can just disable them yourself( unless you are lazy ).

shaik786
04-02-2003, 12:32 AM
I didnt know this option existed, though have faced problem while posting code like 'for ( ;; )'.
I this by default it should be disable, the code should be more readable.

BMJ
04-02-2003, 01:08 AM
I could've sworn this has been brought up before, oh well; it's just a little edit in the VB code somewhere. Now if only webmaster could find a coder :confused: :cool:

TravisS
04-02-2003, 03:27 AM
Yeah, it has been brought up before. But obviously nothing happened last time, and this really is a good idea, so here we go again :)

GanglyLamb
04-02-2003, 04:42 AM
Code might be funny with smilies in it but readability pays for it.

:) :cool: :rolleyes: :mad: :eek: :confused:

biosninja
04-02-2003, 05:49 AM
Code might be funny with smilies in it but readability pays for it

true, true!!!

it's ten to one the most iritating thing in the world!!!!

here you are...trying the help the poor oak...but wait a minute...he's making more work for you.....you have to take out the smilies first. and this like in totaly takes out the functionality of code tags:mad:

zahid
04-02-2003, 06:52 AM
Yes, no doubt.

GanglyLamb
04-02-2003, 07:07 AM
>>scanf( );

Edit: The intended meaning of the original text that got replaced by smilies should be obvious to anyone with half a clue anyway. If you make the effort to open your favourite text editor/IDE, copy & paste that stuff, compile and probably debug it, then you might as well type in a few missing parenthesis .

Wooot , would be a great thing for a contest.
Make a code with some functionality (of course :d) AND make sure that you have at least 1 smilie in 3 lines of code.
(minimum code length:100 lines)
Of course you would get +points if you manage to get more smilies on one line (and the code still remains functional).

Hammer
04-02-2003, 07:32 AM
I don't think it's an option. See Read here (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=55691).

Stoned_Coder
04-02-2003, 07:47 AM
You could always send the suggestion on to vbulletin and when you next upgrade the board maybe they will have disallowed smilies within codetags. code tags are for code and code never needs smilies. It makes sense to disable them between code tags and if a "hack" cant do it then the board manufacturers certainly could and probably should. They will act if enough people complain. Otherwise they will probably ignore it.

ober
04-02-2003, 08:51 AM
speaking of upgrades... this site definately needs one.

ober
04-02-2003, 08:52 AM
hmm... no, i take that back. They just need to open up some more of the options (quick reply, users browsing forums)

Govtcheez
04-02-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by ober5861
speaking of upgrades... this site definately needs one. We upgraded to vB 2.3 yesterday, and no one even noticed...

adrianxw
04-02-2003, 08:57 AM
>>> quick reply

We discussed that one, (amongst many), and decided it would encourage more useless one liners - that one's not going to fly.

ober
04-02-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
We upgraded to vB 2.3 yesterday, and no one even noticed... I noticed after making that post...

And I guess I have to agree with the one-liner responses, but I think the benefits outweigh the bad possibilities here.

lightatdawn
04-02-2003, 02:19 PM
Origionally posted by BMJ
>>Now if only webmaster could find a coder

Ya, but... Where are we gonna find a programmer around here? Geebus, man. Try to stay on earth with these crazy ideas of yours.

RoD
04-02-2003, 07:43 PM
i noticed the 2.3 thing :P

I wanted the quick reply cuz sometimes when i browse here my dialup is bogged by dloads and it'd be quicker if i didnt have to load up a second page to reply.

I'm all for the editing of the smilies in code tags, but like l@d said, we dont have the ability here : )

Shadow
04-02-2003, 08:48 PM
> I wanted the quick reply cuz sometimes when i browse here my dialup
That's your problem, not the board's problem. The board works fine, your connection does not.

And for the smilies, going to all that extra work just so a couple of people can smile after a bit of code, or before a bit of code? Essh, turn em off when there's heavy code, and just don't use smilies in that post, it's as easy as that.

Man, I love newsgroups..