PDA

View Full Version : Why are you learning programming?

Pages : [1] 2

Betazep
10-22-2001, 12:53 PM
I have learned quite a bit of C++ console programming in college (got my associates degree in it for CS). I am learning Windowz Visual programming now on my own. I have been playing around with a book written by Herbert Schildt called Windows 98 Programming from the Ground Up. I am using it to get my feet wet and will move on to better books later. (It was 7.99 at Borders with ~800 pages... can't beat that.)

Still, even with all of this work, I seriously doubt I am going to be a full time programmer. So why am I doing all of this? I am not really sure, but I like to know how things work, and in my quest for programming knowlege (Assembly, C++, VB) and webpage creation (HTML, Js), I have learned more about computers than I ever thought that I would.

So, maybe that is it. Maybe I learn programming to learn other things. Maybe part of knowing how things work is knowing why they work...

What about you...?

Fordy
10-22-2001, 12:58 PM
I just love the challenge......I'ts just a hobby as I work in business finance and thats what I'm trained in. Though I plan to deviate from my profession at some point and coding could be handy.

>>Herbert Schildt called Windows 98 Programming from the Ground Up

Yeah...cool book

Betazep
10-22-2001, 01:04 PM
>>Though I plan to deviate from my profession at some point and coding could be handy.

Yeah... I think it may. But the thing is, how much do you need to know to get a job in it? Is dabbling in it enough? Because some people spend all of their waking hours doing it and are extremely passionate. Competing with that would be tough I would think...

Troll_King
10-22-2001, 01:06 PM
Why didn't you take up Petzold, fifth edition?

Betazep
10-22-2001, 01:08 PM
It wasn't $7.99 :)

Troll_King
10-22-2001, 01:09 PM
Are you poor? It's worth the money!

Fordy
10-22-2001, 01:12 PM
>>Yeah... I think it may. But the thing is, how much do you need to know to get a job in it? Is dabbling in it enough? Because some people spend all of their waking hours doing it and are extremely passionate. Competing with that would be tough I would think...

First off...I would not be working for anyone except myself. This is my plan regardless of programming. I am already building up a small client base doing accounts and basic IT. When I have had a few more years, this will have grown, I will have got my full professional qualifications, and my coding skills (focusing on databases and web programming) will be a lot stronger. I am not so naive that I expect to walk into a company and start as a programmer…right now it wouldn’t interest me that much.

Fordy
10-22-2001, 01:13 PM
Schildt is a good book. Petzold is also a good book. I use both.

Betazep
10-22-2001, 01:15 PM
Yeah I am broke. That is why I live in Hawaii and have traveled the world. :) j/k I am just a sucker for a deal, and have too many $50 books I haven't read yet.

Betazep
10-22-2001, 01:23 PM
>>First off...I would not be working for anyone except myself. This is my plan regardless of programming.

that sounds like a pretty good idea. I would love to work for myself, but don't have the business background yet to know where to start.

The V.
10-22-2001, 01:43 PM
I program... I dunno, it's sort of a hobby.

I originally began programming to make games (and I did make a few simple ones back in the win3.1 days). I put programming on the back shelf for a little while, and came back to it when I began programming game editors for other people's games. Now I'm doing neural networks, fuzzy logic, pattern recognition, and I am again working on a game, much larger in scope this time as I'm a much better programmer now.

I just enjoy it, I guess. I like the fact that people use my editors (I especially *love* the fact that a game designer for a major game company used MY editor to make his own custom mod to a game he originally helped make, because my tool worked better in the context of creating a mod that the company's tools).

Troll_King
10-22-2001, 01:43 PM
It's my sworn duty to make fun of non Pretzold users....

Aran
10-22-2001, 01:47 PM
I got into programming because i wanted to make an RPG idea of mine becmoe a reality, and because programming IS life.

Troll_King
10-22-2001, 01:50 PM
...a reality, and because programming IS life.

It's a disease....

Aran
10-22-2001, 01:55 PM
Life is a disease, programming is life.

Betazep
10-22-2001, 02:03 PM
Disease is a program of life while programming life as a disease in programming.

Aran
10-22-2001, 02:05 PM
it's all so clear now.

basilisk
10-22-2001, 02:08 PM
money really as i was fed up of outsourcing work whenever i needed some small program written. I thought learn to program, write it yourself and then get all the money plus i will be able to offer my clients more services. Though i actually found that i really enjoyed learning to program for its own sake - its like a form of artistic expression

Betazep
10-22-2001, 02:11 PM
>>it's all so clear now.

:)

Betazep
10-22-2001, 02:15 PM
>>i was fed up of outsourcing work whenever i needed some small program written

Yeah... I hear you. I have written several small programs to parse strings out of text files and regroup them as comma delimintated files so that they could easily be inserted into database programs.

Such a simple task probably would have cost me some major dollars if I had someone else do it.

I need to find more applications that I "have to" write to, because I actually had quite a bit of fun writting those programs and found the time to do it because they were needed.

Aran
10-22-2001, 03:05 PM
yeah, it's fun writing little widget programs like that...

once i wrote a program that would actually write some arrays to a text file that could be compiled into a program that used them.. it was interesting.

gamegod3001
10-22-2001, 06:30 PM
I wanted to modify, sonic 2 for genesis. Thats why I began programming. I got a little fustrated when I discoverd this would take quite a bit, of monney.

on life

Lifes a game, I play to win.

EvenFlow
10-22-2001, 06:36 PM
a) I have to do it for college
b) I like doing it as a hobby
c) May do it one day as a career

-KEN-
10-22-2001, 06:42 PM
It's fun to tell the computer exactly what to do, it's a great hobby, andone day I hope to make a carreer out of it.

Breach23
10-22-2001, 07:06 PM
Well, I like it because it is a good hobby. I will do this professionally some day, when I'm old enough, or something with computers at least..

Aran
10-22-2001, 07:12 PM
and the added benefit is that it lets you become renown in a community such as this one as you get a ridiculous amount of posts and get disowned by your family because you're on it 25/7 (yes, that's right, 25/7, you were such an addict you added another hour onto the day, just to post 100 more times).

Procyon
10-23-2001, 08:36 AM
I initially got into programming because I wanted to make computer games. Specifically, I liked the creativity of designing paper-and-pen RPGs, but I found the medium inadequate for developing complex and organized systems (like those in computer RPGs) that I really wanted to make. So, I decided to try to learn to program.

I'm still doing game programming, but I discovered in high school that programming knowledge is also enormously useful in science. Since my career goals are mostly science-related, this was another major motivation for learning how to program, and the reason I moved from BASIC to C.

Aran
10-23-2001, 03:23 PM
Basic is dead... start at PASCAL.

Procyon
10-23-2001, 06:45 PM
Perhaps you should have told me that 9 years ago. Anyway, QBASIC was preinstalled on all DOS computers back then, so it was in that sense an ideal learning tool: I could write the same programs at school as at home, and at friends' houses; no worry about nonstandard functions or graphics incompatibilities. The situation today may be different, but now that I know C/C++, who cares?

oskilian
10-23-2001, 06:57 PM
I chose other because all three options apply to me...

Oskilian

Aran
10-23-2001, 07:02 PM
maybe they should have made an "all of the above" choice, but then again, i am against that usage of the word 'the'...

Garfield
11-03-2001, 02:01 PM
I just love to program...

--Garfield the Great

sean
11-03-2001, 02:53 PM
I don't quite know why i program either, but I'm only 14, and yet I already know BASIC, C/C++, Mainframe Assembler (and PC/370), JAVA, HTML, and COBOL.

gamegod3001
11-03-2001, 08:32 PM
>I don't quite know why i program either, but I'm only 14, and yet I already know BASIC, C/C++, Mainframe Assembler (and PC/370), JAVA, HTML, and COBOL.<

Ok, I am going to comit mass murder if another person younger then me knows everything. :p

*Does yippe it some one who can answer questions dance*

Bobish
11-03-2001, 09:44 PM
Okay sean where do you find the time to learn all this stuff. Im 14 turning 15 in a few months and im still strugaling with C++ (I've learned the language but DX is giving me trouble). I guess i could have started earlier though.

Yoshi
11-04-2001, 12:28 AM
To be a programmer some day... better learn c++!!:D

Sebastiani
11-04-2001, 02:12 AM
All these young programmers!

Geez, I am twice their age and a half as competent!

Truly depressing.

I myself picked up programming because, believe it or not, I was just half-curious! Now what once seemed to be a boring nerdy endeavor has become my obsession! My family has even taken to calling me "The Hermit" because of it! But no matter. I love it.

As far as working for someone, I have little interest. After all, why write programs that others own?!! Yuck.

My dream is to start my own profitable software company.

Aran
11-04-2001, 07:40 AM
i'm 15 and i know BASIC, PASCAL, and C++... that's it. I haven't wasted the time on java because it would be, just that, a waste of time.

Programming rules, end of story.

Garfield
11-04-2001, 08:09 AM
Okay, I'm 15 and I know (in no specific order) C, Visual Basic, VBScript, HTML (which everybody knows), BASIC. Of course, C is the only language that has given me a valiant challenge. And now I'm learning Windows programming (from petzold) and it is so hard it should be considered another language.

--Garfield the Great

gamegod3001
11-04-2001, 04:52 PM
>And now I'm learning Windows programming (from petzold) and it is so hard it should be considered another language. <

Really, it was a peice of cake for me, and I understood almost all off it.

Garfield
11-04-2001, 06:02 PM
Yeah, it is going well for me. I like it a lot.

Gades
11-15-2001, 09:41 AM
I choosed C programming as a subject at uni (Naval Architecture). I've always enjoyed computers and my father is a programmer since I was ..... (I don't know how old I was, but our PC run at 4.7 MHz).

Even I haven't worked as a programmer, it has been helpful to have basic knowledge when I've been working at a Naval Architecture office. As soon as you use stability software (DOS) it's very helpful to know some programmimg.

If I ever have enough knowledge, I'd enjoy working as a programmer.

Camilo
11-15-2001, 11:42 AM
ok, I am 17, I know BASIC and VB, HTML, and C, If I do not know anymore is because I don't need it, and if I need it, I would learn in less than three weeks (in the worst case), I do not think that you are a better programmer if you know more languages, if you are an excellent BASIC programmer, for sure you could be an excellent C programmer, it is more interesting and intelligent to learn new algorithms, you can apply that knowledge in any platform, in any language, it is a better way of employing time, and it would be more useful if you get a real job.

take as an another post:

does computer science worth the try?
I really do not know if I really want to study that, is there a way to know that?, university is at hand, for sure in january of next year I will start, but I am not sure, what do you think?

Camilo
(last day of high school, he does not know if he is doing right)

doubleanti
11-15-2001, 09:45 PM
>Lifes a game, I play to win.

well said...

>exactly what to do

same here...

>sonic 2 for genesis

that's my favorite console game... cool...

biterman
11-16-2001, 06:50 AM
Camilo... look at the universities classes in CS. Talk to people studying CS at those uni's, and to people that have already finished.

I think that will certainly help you decide.

As for me. I'm definately studying CS. It's the only way i can possibly catch up with this genius 15 year olds that seem to be popping up everywhere!

AAHH! like someone said earlier in the thread: "depressing"

adios,
biterman.

Commander
11-16-2001, 11:13 AM
Cause I fell like it....
I don't have a exact reason....
I started learning C at the end of 14....and still strugling.....
(Iknow a bit of html but, I don't consider that as knowing how to program in html)

I tried to learn java a couple of wees ago, but it was kinda confusing!
I don't know why though
may be that public main() thing...

oh yeah..forgot..I'm 15 now...

lightatdawn
11-16-2001, 02:32 PM
I don't have a exact reason....
I was just about to ask if I was the only person here who doesnt program for any reason besides the pure intelectual challenge and creative release. I started with QBasic (as someone mentions, it used to come pre-installed with DOS) and just kept doing it. As long as theres something left to learn (and there always will be) then i'll still be doing this. I dont care if i ever get paid for it or not. Of course it would be a really nice bonus to get money for something that i'd be doing anyways. :)

It's the only way i can possibly catch up with this genius 15 year olds

*mumble mumble* bloody *mumble mumble* fifteen *mumble* way to good *mumble mumble* feel like an old man *mumble*.

*waves cane in the air* Damn kids these days anyways! Think they're so smart... :p

itld
11-16-2001, 09:44 PM
WHY?
1. i'm a constrution worker of 20 years.
2. i've worked around the nastiest stuff on this planet (nerve
gas, nuclear devices, rocket fuel...)
3. today i worked at over 80 feet in the air (nice view but the
sudden stop at the bottom can get rather uncomfortable.
4. these silly computers are just plan fun to me
5. it's the wave of the future.

all of these reasons lead to one thing. a nice comfortable cubicle creating mysterious code for some guy that will really pay me to do it sounds like heaven to me.
M.R.

oskilian
11-16-2001, 10:01 PM
I'm 16.85 years old, and I know....

Very Well
Basic (VisualBasic, VBScript, QBasic)
C
C++
HTML (who doesn't, anyway)
Logo (this one's a classic)

Mildly
Assembler (Win32, some microcontroller)
ASP
Java and JavaScript
PERL
PHP3

Learning
Pascal
C#

Once tried, but they're very boring
Fortran
Cobol
Python
Oberon (Ever heard of this one?)
FoxPro (I think that this one is the most boring language EVER)

Oskilian

Xterria
11-16-2001, 10:44 PM
programming is my life, i am a loser:(
but not when I grow up! I'm gunna be a professional and make alot of money
but for now, I'm just a loser:(
actually, I've made over 200 dollars in school from my edited wolfenstein game! It was a big hit!:D