PDA

View Full Version : If you could tell....

RoD
03-23-2003, 10:50 AM
A while ago at FD there was a thread (i think govtcheez started it, i might be wrong) that asked this question(or a very close variation of it):

If you could tell your twelve year old self something, what would you say?

So, as i find this interesting, anyone care to answer?

alpha
03-23-2003, 11:10 AM
start learning c++ and/or c.

volk
03-23-2003, 11:12 AM
I would say, "Watch out for RoD." :D

Jeremy G
03-23-2003, 12:24 PM
The 24 million dollar jackpot lotto number will be .....

joshdick
03-23-2003, 12:40 PM
I would tell my younger self to start a lot of things sooner. Right now I really love programming in C++, playing volleyball, and dating girls, but I started all of those things only withing the last few years, so in all three I'm not quite what I could be.

I'd tell me to take a programming course and go out for the volleyball team my freshman year of high school. I'd also give me the heads up on which girls to pursue and what to do and not do.

Hmmm. This post has gotten me thinking about what my life would be like if I had started those things sooner. Oh, well, what's done is done. It is my aim to never regret something I haven't done; likewise, I never regret anything I have done, even if that means utter failure for trying. Definitely better to try and fail than never to have tried at all.

adrianxw
03-23-2003, 03:05 PM
Don't marry a girl called Barbara.

volk
03-23-2003, 03:37 PM
Here's a better question: do you think your twelve year-old self would even listen to you?

Vber
03-23-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by volk
Here's a better question: do you think your twelve year-old self would even listen to you?
Damn right :)

joshdick
03-23-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by volk

Absolutely. I was much dorkier back then, and very much a trekie. I used to wish even back then that I could go back in time to change things. Plus, if my modern self would tell my younger self, he would be very impressed with how much I've accomplished since then.

Xei
03-23-2003, 04:21 PM
I would not tell my 12 year old self anything, as that has great potential to harm who you have become.

salvelinus
03-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Twelve year old self? That girls are just as confused as you are.
Would it matter? No.
Would I tell my twelve year old self anything specific? You bet. Invest heavily in a company called Microsoft, which will be created in a few years. And bet all your money on Secretariat.

joshdick
03-23-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by salvelinus
Would it matter? No.

I didn't mean that I wanted my twelve year old self to be dating. I'd just like to give my younger self a heads up on some things. For example, had I dated some girls a few months sooner or known about some things, life would be easier for me.

Go ahead. Laugh at my teenage angst. You know you want to, so just get it all out.

Unregd
03-23-2003, 07:49 PM
I'd tell my twelve-year-old self this: For the love of all that is treasured, avoid that seemingly delicious but anomalous pool of chocolate pudding!

I might also drop a hint about Osama bin Laden and that my younger self should go to Afghanistan to engage him in a battle to the death.

jdinger
03-23-2003, 08:14 PM
On the home front the only thing I'd redo is some early financial mistakes when we first got married. "Definitely think before you buy".

On the job front start programming sooner, especially SQL.

And yes my 12 year old self would listen. I was so geeky it'd have been like an episode of the Outer Limits or something to me.

novacain
03-23-2003, 09:23 PM
Tell myself when I was 12?

'Your a smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeg head!!!!!!!!!!"

doubleanti
03-23-2003, 10:48 PM
stay the hell away from the opposite sex... haha, am i right?

-DA... who's gpa might drop from a 3.9 to a 3.0 over the course of the next few days...

Panopticon
03-24-2003, 12:14 AM
"you will die a horrible horrible death"

Cheeze-It
03-24-2003, 03:04 AM
"Go outside. Don't let your childhood fly by because you'd rather
watch Melrose Place..."

RoD
03-24-2003, 12:43 PM
I would tell myself a few things:

-Quick screwing up in school, make the grades
-Get a damn job
-Get a life

and so on!

windoze victim
03-24-2003, 01:03 PM
id say "Just wait until you hear everything, the truth will make you a bitter man."

Oh, and "no matter what you do, no matter who you save, they will always hate you, so get ready."

"dont trust phsycologists"

hk_mp5kpdw
03-24-2003, 01:09 PM
If you went back in time and told yourself to do something to correct a mistake then in the future you would not need to go back in time to tell yourself whatever it was, meaning you wouldn't go back in time to tell yourself that thing, meaning you wouldn't know it and then you would have a need to go back in time and tell yourself, which means you wouldn't go back in time...

No matter what you did, you would be screwed wouldn't you? Temporal paradox!

volk
03-24-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by hk_mp5kpdw
If you went back in time and told yourself to do something to correct a mistake then in the future you would not need to go back in time to tell yourself whatever it was, meaning you wouldn't go back in time to tell yourself that thing, meaning you wouldn't know it and then you would have a need to go back in time and tell yourself, which means you wouldn't go back in time...

No matter what you did, you would be screwed wouldn't you? Temporal paradox!

Oh, c'mon, we were all just pretending. Did you have to say that?

But, yeah, I guess you're right.

RoD
03-24-2003, 01:19 PM
theres always one.....

Fountain
03-24-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by adrianxw
Don't marry a girl called Barbara.

Probably good advice......also watch out for girls called 'June'

Originally posted by salvelinus
Would it matter? No.
Would I tell my twelve year old self anything specific? You bet. Invest heavily in a company called Microsoft, which will be created in a few years. And bet all your money on Secretariat.

Definate winner here...or stuff investing,try telling yourself to patent an idea that 'everything can run in a window' sort of thing.

salvelinus
03-24-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Fountain
Definate winner here...or stuff investing,try telling yourself to patent an idea that 'everything can run in a window' sort of thing.
Better yet, patent ones and zero's - Wait!, it's already been done... (http://www.theonion.com/onion3311/microsoftpatents.html)

RoD
03-24-2003, 03:30 PM
Microsoft is number one. And you, the millions of consumers who use our products, are the zeroes."

heh, gates and M$ never cease to amaze me.

deathstryke
03-25-2003, 08:58 AM
I'd tell myself to not be lazy. Naw, I'd probably get there and forget about it.

Govtcheez
03-25-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by RoD
heh, gates and M$ never cease to amaze me. Wait, you thought that was serious?

RoD
03-25-2003, 12:40 PM
i posted that before i noticed what site it was on, or read the whole thing for that matter. But yea first impression i did lol.