03-17-2003, 12:19 AM
Problems with this thread:

You cant compare a language to an API
You cant have more than one 'favourite langauge'
This is a C/C++ board...I wonder what the responses will be like :rolleyes:
HTML is not a language

SilentStrike
03-17-2003, 12:40 AM
HTML (Hypertext markup LANGAUGE) is certainly a lanauge, just not a programming langauge.

But I agree, this poll sucks :).

Xei
03-17-2003, 01:04 AM
SilentStrike
HTML (Hypertext markup LANGAUGE) is certainly a lanauge, just not a programming langauge.

But I agree, this poll sucks

I don't think it should be called HTML, it should be HTMS, HyperTextMarkupScripting.

SilentStrike
03-17-2003, 01:05 AM
What you actually compute with HTML?

Vber
03-17-2003, 04:27 AM
Html is not a language, that's it.
Search google for 'why'.

My favorite language, well C (that's what I'm learning) and I like too much JS (but it's a scripting language).

zahid
03-17-2003, 06:29 AM
No doubt C/C++ will win.

jverkoey
03-17-2003, 07:35 AM
*sigh* flamed before i even got to speak :)

anyways, i just named it language/API cuz i didn't want to try and name EVERY genre of programming lang out there.....

sorry if you think this thread sucks, i just wanted to know what everyone thought of the above langs..........sheesh

*note to self* when asking questions, make sure you are perfect....

Shiro
03-17-2003, 11:34 AM
I have no favourite programming language, but when I would have to choose between the languages, ignoring those things which are not programming languages, as presented, I would choose C/C++ in most cases. Mainly because I like to do low level things.

RoD
03-17-2003, 12:56 PM
VB is the l337 is ownz j00

no-one
03-17-2003, 01:04 PM
you tards, there are check boxes!!! you can check more than one... so i guess you could choose a languange and an API.

Yawgmoth
03-17-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by no-one
you tards, there are check boxes!!! you can check more than one... so i guess you could choose a languange and an API.

Yeah, but having 2 different categories in one poll screws up all the percentages.

Unregd
03-17-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Xei
I don't think it should be called HTML, it should be HTMS, HyperTextMarkupScripting.

People talk about scripting and scripting languages as if they were something separate and distinct from programming and programming languages when scripting is really just a subset of programming. The distinguishing features of a scripting language are that (A) they tend to be interpreted instead of compiled and (B) they automate a series of instructions or commands utilizing an interface exposed by a host program other than the operating system itself. C++, and almost any other programming language, can be used in such a way that it acts as a scripting language. Likewise, a scripting language can act in such a way that it can create quasi-"stand-alone" programs and thus act as a programming language.

HTML, in my opinion, cannot be considered a scripting language because it cannot be considered a programming language. True, HTML is parsed, but that's because it's a computer language with a grammar and a lexicon. HTML, because it is a document markup language and not a programming language, lacks commands to control execution flow (looping and branching), commands to create data objects manipulatable through the language, and other essentials. Even an MS-DOS batch file is closer to a programming language (in fact, I would say it is one) than HTML is.

Yawgmoth
03-17-2003, 04:04 PM
IMO, HTML is more of a file format than an actual language.

beege31337
03-17-2003, 04:14 PM
I consider html a language

I would consider any set of instructions which control hardware ( even through other programs ) a language.

More specifically, though, I would call it a formatting language.

JoeSixpack
03-17-2003, 05:15 PM
>I would consider any set of instructions which control hardware ( even through other programs ) a language.<

Therefore doing anything on a computer is programming. You have a very loose (almost meaningless) definition.

CompiledMonkey
03-18-2003, 12:28 PM
Personally, I enjoy coding Java more than any other language (including ones not in this poll). I feel like picking up new tasks within the language is simple due to the very documented API. The language itself is quite complete. You have a package for most tasks. The syntax is great and easy to read. There are tons of great open source tools as well (Tomcat, JBoss, Ant, Struts, etc.). It's lack of speed isn't as much of an issue with 2ghz+ CPUs. I really don't have any complaints or see any faults in Java. Except for Sun of course. I don't think they should be in control of Java. :o

Xei
03-18-2003, 05:48 PM
>>I don't think they should be in control of Java.

Don't worry, they wont be much longer.

CompiledMonkey
03-18-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Xei
>>I don't think they should be in control of Java.

Don't worry, they wont be much longer.

Source?

I have a hard time believing Sun will just give it up.

Xei
03-18-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by CompiledMonkey
Source?

I have a hard time believing Sun will just give it up.

Sun wont just give it up, but their contract is extremely complicated and they simply cannot bind Microsoft to its technology forever. I read a bunch of these documents, somewhere in there it is shown that Microsoft will be able to expand on the technology in a certain amount of time(Their agreement says that they can right now, actually, but there is more involved in different aspects). Here is all the information you will need: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/java/default.asp

CompiledMonkey
03-18-2003, 08:41 PM
First, the last group I would want in charge of Java is MS. Why? Because Java wouldn't exist anymore. I was thinking IBM would be a better group.

Second, currently, anybody can extend the source of Java. The source is included in the SDK download. If MS had plans of tampering with Java and releasing their own version, they would have already. Of course they really have, it's just called J# instead of MSJava.

Lastly, Sun will not give up Java. I wish a transaction between them and IBM could take place, but it just won't happen. :(