PDA

View Full Version : Read 50 Pages Of C++ This Morning

Troll_King
10-21-2001, 10:55 AM
I read the complete instructors notes this morning. I have covered all the basics of C++. This has just made me even more interested in learning C++. I think I'll read C++ Primer Thrid Edition. But now I have Petzold 'Programming Windows'! Not only this, but I have not completed 'Accelerated C++'. I only read half of it before I was inturrupted by school. This is bloody sick. The fact is that it's difficult to learn the things you want to learn when you are in College. Now I work 44 hrs a week and go to College as a 3/4 time student. How the hell am I going to work on my novel?

Jesus Cripes!

Aran
10-21-2001, 11:08 AM
i, too, am writing a novel. It's fantasy and inspired by the Dune books.

I haven't been able to do the amount of reading that i'd like to do because of school also. Damn school. It always gets in the way of more important things.

Garfield
10-21-2001, 11:10 AM
> It always gets in the way of more important things.
Like programming.

Aran
10-21-2001, 11:10 AM
especially programming

Garfield
10-21-2001, 11:12 AM
Programming is definitely life. Why know other stuff (except math for programming) when you know that you want to be a programmer? Think about it.

Aran
10-21-2001, 11:14 AM
actually, you can learn programming through math.

also, programming integrates so many topics into one: english, history, math, genetic engineering, logic, statistics....well, maybe not genetic engineering, but, you get the point.

Garfield
10-21-2001, 11:15 AM
Yeh, I understand. I just wish I had more time to program.

Aran
10-21-2001, 11:16 AM
i've got like an hour a day of free time to program, but most of that is not used due to a lack of motivation or an excess of homework.

Garfield
10-21-2001, 11:17 AM
Hah! I know what you mean. It is the truth. Homework is overwhelming! I usually stay up, no matter what time, two hours after I finish my homework at night to program. I'm tired, but I do it. It works.

Aran
10-21-2001, 11:19 AM
I find that i always work better an night, anyhow. It seems as if my creativity is piqued between the hours of 9 and midnight.

Garfield
10-21-2001, 11:21 AM
> It seems as if my creativity is piqued between the hours of 9 and midnight.

I feel the same way. Did you ever try to debug at 1:00 AM? It's a rush.

Aran
10-21-2001, 11:23 AM
well, by that time i just fall asleep on my keyboard ;)

Breach23
10-21-2001, 11:26 AM
Wait...You're a senior member, and you don't know C++?

Aran
10-21-2001, 11:28 AM
where did you get that idea!?

i've been programming with C++ for 4+ months!

Breach23
10-21-2001, 11:30 AM
No, I mean troll king...Look at his question...

Aran
10-21-2001, 11:31 AM
he knew C already and is learning C++ now.

Breach23
10-21-2001, 11:32 AM
o hes going from c...ok that makes sense. :D

Aran
10-21-2001, 11:33 AM
i'm gonna pick up a book on C# one of these days.

Might as well learn the programming language of windows future.

300 posts. wave flags.

Troll_King
10-21-2001, 11:45 AM
I do know C++ but not at the level of detail that I would like too. I don't know the STL very well and in addition, I don't have too much experience working with OOP. But as far as stuff like, classes, operator overloading, inheritance, friends, virtual functions, overriding base class methods, static methods, templates, and some STL. Yes I have worked with all of these on a limited bases.

Garfield
10-21-2001, 12:11 PM
> Might as well learn the programming language of windows future.

The day that C is not the most popular and useful language is the day that the world comes to an end.

Fordy
10-21-2001, 12:47 PM
>>How the hell am I going to work on my novel?

Give up sleeping.......

Unregistered
10-21-2001, 01:16 PM
Writing a novel? lol

geeks.

Aran
10-21-2001, 01:26 PM
Writers are so much cooler than, say, footballl players.

Troll_King
10-21-2001, 02:02 PM
Writing a novel? lol

geeks.

Unregfistered, this writer can kick your ass. You wear panties don't you? Why don't you get a job?

Cheeze-It
10-21-2001, 02:30 PM
>I only read half of it before I was inturrupted
>by school.

Ha. That's funny. *School* is interrupting your
learning.... hehe.

gamegod3001
10-21-2001, 05:09 PM
I wish I could freeze time then maybe, I could finsh this disttion projcect.

Aran
10-21-2001, 06:04 PM
that's easy, put your clock in the freezer...

or, you could always travel at the speed of light away from the earth so that you go back in light-time... that always works for me.

Garfield
10-21-2001, 07:48 PM
> that always works for me.

Me too. That's the best way to go. Light.

Aran
10-21-2001, 07:51 PM
well.. you see, it really wouldn't send you back in time, it would just appear that you were back in time... kind of like if you were to travel around the world the direction the sun goes and always stay on the dark side of the earth: you would still age and time would still pass, it just wouldn't appear that it would be.

The V.
10-21-2001, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Aran Elus
i, too, am writing a novel. It's fantasy and inspired by the Dune books.

I haven't been able to do the amount of reading that i'd like to do because of school also. Damn school. It always gets in the way of more important things.

The Dune books? Has someone actually managed to read through all of them??

I made it through Dune, and loved it. I got through Dune Messiah, and thought it was decent. I read Children of Dune, and it was getting a little too long and too bizarre for my tastes. I stopped sometime during God Emperor of Dune, because Leto II ruling Dune for 3500 years and becoming a worm with a human head just was TOO out there for me, and I like the Utena movie. If you know what that is, you'll understand that I LOVE the bizarre.

Plus, one HAS to wonder why they keep cloning Duncan Idaho. The guy is still being cloned four millenia after he died (in fact, in Chapterhouse Dune, isn't he cloned AGAIN, about 10,000 years after he died?) -- can't they just let him rest in peace??

Aran
10-21-2001, 08:06 PM
umm.. you obviously didn't read the books well enough to understand the reasoning behind the storyline...

i've read them all twice at least (except for Heretics)... The Duncans were prized military commanders and Leto just liked having him around. I think he also had Duncan cloned so many times just to spite the tleilaxu and show them that no matter how hard they tried to make a ghola that could kill him, he would always withstand the attack.

Also, Leto chose to transform himself into the sandtroutish thing in order to preserve humanity. It was the way he had to go to prolonge the survival of the human race; it was the first step along his "Golden Path". In short: if he didn't do it, humanity would have been destroyed.

The V.
10-21-2001, 08:15 PM
I'm sure if I read the books more carefully, or if I read them again, I'd get more out of them. Maybe they're just like the Silmarillion, which I have come to love, but which at first is a more daunting task for the casual reader to undertake reading.

EvenFlow
10-22-2001, 03:16 AM
>>The fact is that it's difficult to learn the things you want to learn when you are in College. <<

Ain't it the truth.

>>Maybe they're just like the Silmarillion, which I have come to love, but which at first is a more daunting task for the casual reader to undertake reading.<<

I'm about half way through the Lord of the Rings myself.

greenRoom
10-22-2001, 03:51 AM
just worry about graduating and getting the degree. you have the rest of your life, after that, to study other things (related to programming or whatever..). I was like this too during my fresh, soph. years. had like 20 books on subjects from the design of the unix-os to mips risc architecture. guess what? i just couldn't allocate the time for personal studies and required studies so ended dropping some classes (so now i have a couple annoying 'W's on my transcript). I later found this much less stressful when concentrating on nothing but lectures and required readings. all in all i would say if you wanted to pick up something on the side, i would minimize it to about a medium-sized book (4-500 pgs) per semester and nothing more; also summer is the best time for personal studies. but.. whatever floats your boat.

EvenFlow
10-22-2001, 06:43 AM
Or in your case whatever wave carries your board :)

greenRoom
10-22-2001, 10:23 AM
LOL!

Betazep
10-22-2001, 12:39 PM
Ahhh DUNE! Gotta love it.

Garfield
10-22-2001, 01:06 PM
> Or in your case whatever wave carries your board

Good one. It's the truth.

Aran
10-22-2001, 02:01 PM
int main()
{
int a = 1;
while (a = 1)
{
printf("Dune Rules! \n");
}
}

Dune 4 life.

EvenFlow
10-22-2001, 06:33 PM
I made the mistake of first trying to read the prelude to Dune books by Herbert's son ::shudder:: I should have just read Dune first off.

Aran
10-22-2001, 07:24 PM
oh, you are SO right.

I love reading about little Duncan though.. he's one hell of a man.