PDA

View Full Version : Restrict myself?

KrAzY CrAb
03-12-2003, 05:35 AM
I program in SEVERAL, MANY, A-LOT of languages and I am constantly finding my self with no time to finish the project in that lkanguge or this one ect.. should I try to restrict my self to just 3-4 languages?

RoD
03-12-2003, 05:39 AM
I dont think we can really answer that, as its a matter of your personal opinion. Being that you dont have time, and that you asked, i'm assuming your not having fun. So my answer, yes.

Jeremy G
03-12-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by KrAzY CrAb
I program in SEVERAL, MANY, A-LOT of languages

See the thing is once you have a concept of basic progmatic logic, you can program in any language. It just becomes a matter of having a reference material to help you along with syntax.

"SEVERAL, MANY, A-LOT" will not impress me, mister.

Dissata
03-12-2003, 09:10 AM
oh wow! another one juuust like meeee. yah I to know so many languages. Html, javascript, qbasic, c, english ect. I'm sooo special. :rolleyes:

--------------------------

dude get a grip. even if you actualy do know the santax for multiple actual programming languages that does no mean you know the language. pick a single language. or at least only a couple. then focus your attention on mastering that language.

Govtcheez
03-12-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by KrAzY CrAb
SEVERAL, MANY, A-LOTLike everyone else here, I think you're extremely 1337. Kudos.

Seriously, though - drop pointless languages... C-- would be a start - I can't imagine why you'd use that for any other reason than saying "I know more languages than you, making me the victor."

Dissata:

"I know... English"
"santax"

Liar :p

KrAzY CrAb
03-12-2003, 10:58 AM
I wasnt bragging.. I'm not like many here who try to put others down. But I know many languages (Why would I lie and say i only know 1?) What is the point of replying to this message if you dont plan to help in anyway?
And I use C-- because it makes small exes that are faster than anything you'd ever see, in many cases smaller than what many can do in asm.

Govtcheez
03-12-2003, 11:10 AM
> in many cases smaller than what many can do in asm.

How?

Govtcheez
03-12-2003, 11:28 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that searched the boards for his old posts... The whole "C# is a tool of the Great Satan intended to make Sun give up computers" made me wonder.

adrianxw
03-12-2003, 11:36 AM
>>>
How can a tool that automatically generates assembler code from human instructions possibly be faster than proper human-written assembler code?
<<<

A modern compiler is optimised to make use of the capabilities of the underlying hardware. It is aware of the cacheing, pipelining, etc. It is frequently the case that a hand written assembler program which follows classical procedural assembler style would be outperformed by a well written high level language program when using a GOOD compiler.

Of course, if the writer of the assembler code is fully conversent with the hardware and all the tricks and techniques that the compiler uses, he/she should be able to write code that performs at least as well, and possibly, if he/she is a true expert, a little better.

RoD
03-12-2003, 12:37 PM
I didnt mention the "i know lots and lots" and crap line because i thought i'd get flamed....damn missed opportunity!

And for the record, html doesn't count :P

no name
03-12-2003, 02:06 PM
1)Visual Basic:

msgbox "Hello World"

2)C++:

#include<iostream.h>
#include<conio.h>

int main()
{
cout<<"Hello World";
getch();
}

3)Euphoria:

puts(1,"Hello World")

4)Pascal:

PROGRAM hola;
uses crt;
begin
clrscr;
write('Hello World');
end.

5)HTML:

<H1>Hello World</H1>

6)JavaScript:

<SCRIPT LANGUAJE="JAVASCRIPT">
document.write("Hello World");
</SCRIPT>

7)QBasic:

PRINT "Hello World"

8)VisualBasic Script:

<script language="vbscript">
msgbox "Hello World"
</script>

9)Java:

import java.awt.*;
import java.applet.*;

public class HelloWorld extends Applet
{
Label Msg;

public void init()
{
Msg = new Label();
Msg.setText("Hello World");
add(Msg);
}
}

10)Visual C++:

#include "stdafx.h"

int main()
{
printf("Hello World\n");
return 0;
}

11)ABC:

WRITE "Hello World"

12)Lisp:

print "Hello World"

13)Liberty Basic

print "Hello World"

14)Berkeley Logo:

print "Hello print "World

15)Python:

print "Hello World"

16)Perl:

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "Hello World!", "\n";

17)Delphi:

ShowMessage ('Hello World');

18)Rapid-Q:
PRINT "Hello World"

19)BASEC:
PRINT "Hello World"

20)D++:
screenput"Hello World";

21)Chipmunk BASIC:
PRINT "Hello World"

22)Johnny's Experimental Language:
PRINT "Hello World"

23)Envelop:
Label1.Text = "Hello World"

24)InterBASIC:
Form() Width:5250 Height:2565 Caption:New Application
CreateCtrl Label(1) Left:0 Top:0 Width:1000 Height:200 Visible:True Caption:Hello World

25)BF:
>+++++++++[<++++++++>-]<.---.+++++++..+++.>++++++++[<------>-]<+.>+++++++++[<++
++++>-]<+.--------.+++.------.--------.>+++++++[<----->-]<.[-]++++++++++.

26)TURBO PL:
Pout "Hello World".

XSquared
03-12-2003, 02:31 PM
25)BF:
>+++++++++[<++++++++>-]<.---.+++++++..+++.>++++++++[<------>-]<+.>+++++++++[<++
++++>-]<+.--------.+++.------.--------.>+++++++[<----->-]<.[-]++++++++++.

LOL! Go BrainF***!

Bajanine
03-12-2003, 10:57 PM
AppleSoft Basic

?"Hello world."
;)

SourceCode
03-13-2003, 06:24 AM
Wow thats alot of different ways to say hello world! But yea just cause you know the basic syntax to a language doesn't mean you know the language. I don't think you know a language until you've actually written a useful program in it like an ftp client, a nice text editor etc. Something that someone out there would actually use. Like me I know the C syntax but all my programs are complete garbage and really just practice so that some day maybe I can make that one program that someone will use. So I can say "yea I know C", but do I really? Nope not really because I haven't made a useful program yet. Anyways I've read that once you really "know" a language well you can pick up other languages in a matter 2-3 weeks and start to make useful stuff in it, is this true?

KrAzY KrAb
03-13-2003, 06:35 AM
Yes, it is true. The language that actually got me used to programming and allowed me to pick more up was BASEC (BASic Emulation Compiler) its very close to QB in syntax. I learned alo of rules about programming in that language. Also, I dont remeber asking people if they beleived I knew alot of languages. I merely asked if I should restrict myself.

KrAzY CrAb
03-13-2003, 06:37 AM
When I was loggin in I typed a 'k' instead of a 'c' so, the above post is me..

Govtcheez
03-13-2003, 07:38 AM
> I dont remeber asking people if they beleived I knew alot of languages.

When you brag that you "program in SEVERAL, MANY, A-LOT of languages", you should be prepared to back that up.

KrAzY CrAb
03-13-2003, 09:21 AM
Back it up? Want proof? First off, saying it in many ways was jsut a light hearted joke (no one seems to getr jokes here..) But i do know several languages (many are BASIC Dialects, I also know Delphi, C--, C and X)

Govtcheez
03-13-2003, 09:24 AM
> no one seems to getr jokes here..

People here have great senses of humor. They only laugh at things that are funny, though.

Jeremy G
03-13-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
> no one seems to getr jokes here..

People here have great senses of humor. They only laugh at things that are funny, though.

"Ha haaa" - Nelson