PDA

View Full Version : Are we too rude?

ober
03-03-2003, 02:14 PM
Ok, so I have been spending more time on the programming boards as of late because I'm trying to learn more C++... and one thing I've noticed is overwhelming compared to other programming boards.

I see a lot of newbies ask questions and then they get yelled at, get offended and sulk off.

And I realize some of that is people posting homework, and people not using code tags, but I still think maybe we're turning people off to this place with some of the attitudes people have on the programming boards. After all, these people are coming asking for questions, not to feel be-littled for missing a code tag or something.

"Can't we all just get along?"

Govtcheez
03-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Shut up, moron.

I try to be gentle-ish when I answer newbie questions - I'm trying to teach, not scare away. If they start yelling at me and telling me I'm wrong (if I'm not), then fsck 'em.

Shadow
03-03-2003, 02:25 PM
Well, you should review the document, "How to ask questions the smart way" again ober.
If any of us simply wanted to be mean to the person, we wouldn't help them at all. We'd ignore them.

I think playing a little rough isn't a bad thing. It's a good way to let somebody know they made a mistake, and it takes little effort for the veteran(This is appealing). Upon making them remember they made a mistake, and what it is, lead them on an investigative case to solve why they're having a problem.

Point being, any feedback is good feedback.
Any input or help is good input or help.

Afterall, what if there wasn't anybody there to help you ober?
What would you do then? Don't be ungrateful, and remember any input you receive at all is volunteer.

Prelude
03-03-2003, 03:11 PM
>I see a lot of newbies ask questions and then they get yelled at, get offended and sulk off.
You should see the threads on comp.lang.c, they tend to be far less tolerant than we. Being rough isn't a bad thing, it weeds out those who aren't prepared for programming. If you cannot take constructive criticism or demands to follow the rules then you will have a difficult time with programming in general.

-Prelude

ober
03-03-2003, 03:22 PM
:: sticks tail between legs and walks away ::

alpha
03-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Prelude
If you cannot take constructive criticism or demands to follow the rules then you will have a difficult time with programming in general.

-Prelude

exactly. I am willing to help if people show effort. It also depends on the situation. If it is a homework problem that I believe the person can do, I would expect an attempt. If it is questions like:

I have to do this, and this, and that. Thanks. Oh, and by the way, you can e-mail me the program.

Then I tend not to help.

Following the rules, and attempting things are necessary in life. You are not going to get far in life unless you attempt something, and the best way to learn is through practice. If someone is not willing to try, and expect things to be done for him/her, he/she can be easily fired from a job.

-KEN-
03-03-2003, 03:42 PM
I'm sorry...did OBER just complain about rudeness? :p

Yawgmoth
03-03-2003, 03:48 PM
This place isn't too bad. I've recieved answers to my questions, even if they were really, really dumb(and not too much rudeness). In contrast, on different forums, I've gotten answers with more profanity than regular words.

Fountain
03-03-2003, 04:24 PM
>If you cannot take constructive criticism or demands to follow the rules then you will have a difficult time with programming in general.

-Prelude

Ummm and just about every other job. :)

Shadow
03-03-2003, 04:33 PM
> In contrast, on different forums, I've gotten answers with more profanity than regular words.
That's a good point. I know of another community where the moderator will swear at you, call you gay, and more.

golfinguy4
03-03-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Shadow
> In contrast, on different forums, I've gotten answers with more profanity than regular words.
That's a good point. I know of another community where the moderator will swear at you, call you gay, and more.

It would be great if Salem did this. :D

jdinger
03-03-2003, 11:11 PM
I think we do a good job of helping those who deserve it. I've even seen people offer help to people who obviously didn't deserve it (ie: this is homework, write the program for me).

I have no problem even giving [b]hints/b] to those who post the homework questions.

zahid
03-04-2003, 12:41 AM
Nothing comes easy.

ygfperson
03-04-2003, 05:18 AM
You should see the threads on comp.lang.c, they tend to be far less tolerant than we.
Just being kinder than other forums/news servers doesn't make us kind. We're dealing with complete strangers, not just average teenagers/twenty-somethings who don't mind the rudeness.

If the person is spamming, trolling, or whatever, it's a different story. Ditto for people who've been here long enough to not be offended by things we say.

ober
03-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by -KEN-
I'm sorry...did OBER just complain about rudeness? :p

what's your point? ;)

abrege
03-04-2003, 04:16 PM
NEWBIES SUCK!!

Travis Dane
03-04-2003, 05:30 PM
Ken is a real good person? Laughing yet?!?

Commander
03-04-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by abrege
NEWBIES SUCK!! i guess u were born a pro then:rolleyes:

JoeSixpack
03-04-2003, 06:35 PM
>"I want to make quake3? how to? i want help faaaast! lololol"<

Go $$$$ yourself.

edit by Govtcheez: sorry joe - I feel the same way, but please don't bypass the lang filter.

Govtcheez
03-04-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by abrege
NEWBIES SUCK!! You've been here for 4 whole months. Holy crap - it's like you're ancient!

> Now then, Let see the responses...

You are the least funny person on this board. Everytime you post a "joke", it's a lesson in how NOT to make people laugh. Reading something you feel is insightful feels like someone is stabbing me in the head with a rusty icepick. No matter what you think, you are NOT smarter than everyone here. You are not clever. Oh, and this one is my favorite: YOU ARE NOT A MODERATOR, so stop trying to play deputy - you do more harm than good.

Damn, I feel better.

edit: Oh yeah - stop posting so much. You make my board ugly.

-KEN-
03-04-2003, 06:42 PM
Yes, travis, you suck at jokes. Hell, you suck at life.

And govt - don'' be so harsh. You're corroding the human soul, and taking away other peoples' self-esteem to inflate yours...

...welcome to the club.

JoeSixpack
03-04-2003, 06:46 PM
>You're corroding the human soul, and taking away other peoples' self-esteem to inflate yours...<

Isn't that what this whole thread is about, retard?

abrege
03-04-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by JoeSixpack
Some people think slower than others, please respect that. We must embrace Ken just as we would any other human being, despite whatever condition he may posses.

And yes, Govt, I'm very old, I feel as if I'm about to die :(

-KEN-
03-04-2003, 06:53 PM
>You're corroding the human soul, and taking away other peoples' self-esteem to inflate yours...<

There's a limit to how far you can stretch something to get a flame going...weak attempt. I'll have to rate you a 2 on that. Try harder next time (or die trying...that could be fun, too).

>>We must embrace Ken just as we would any other human being, despite whatever condition he may posses.

Advanced Retardation Disease, or ARD, apparently. Thanks for notifying me Joe6.

JoeSixpack
03-04-2003, 06:55 PM
>There's a limit to how far you can stretch something to get a flame going...weak attempt.<

So weak it got a response? Anway it wasn't meant as a flame; maybe you are a retard though?

-KEN-
03-04-2003, 06:57 PM
>There's a limit to how far you can stretch something to get a flame going...weak attempt.<

So weak it got a response? Anway it wasn't meant as a flame; maybe you are a retard though?

refer to my last post...ARD is a very serious disease and words can't express how thankful I am that you've warned me of the fact that I'm showing symptoms.

JoeSixpack
03-04-2003, 07:03 PM
You're just too damn rude.

abrege
03-04-2003, 07:08 PM
He's retarded, let him be as rude as he wants :rolleyes:

JoeSixpack
03-04-2003, 07:13 PM
>He's retarded, let him be as rude as he wants <

I'm not stopping him. Are you his helper?

Travis Dane
03-04-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by -KEN-
Yes, travis, you suck at jokes. Hell, you suck at life.

Ah, Go $$$$ yourself $$$$$, Seriously, I'm glad not to live in your
definition of live...

Hey, I like the direction this thread goes to...

abrege
03-04-2003, 07:16 PM
I'm not stopping him. Are you his helper?
Yes, I'm his guardian, I take offense to your harsh words, I demand that you apologize.

JoeSixpack
03-04-2003, 07:23 PM
Alright, I'll offer an olive branch in this thread of rudeness and say I'm sorry. I'll remember this lesson. It may be easy to dismiss someone with a harsh reply in order to take out ones own frustrations and insecurities but you just don't know who's on the the other end.

-KEN-
03-04-2003, 07:30 PM
But quite frankly it doesn't matter who's on the other end...

Unless you're GWB and you're going to order in a tactical nuclear strike! :eek:

>>Yes, I'm his guardian, I take offense to your harsh words, I demand that you apologize.

Thank you, Abrege. I love you. Give me a big, wet kiss.

JoeSixpack
03-04-2003, 07:38 PM
>But quite frankly it doesn't matter who's on the other end...

Unless you're GWB and you're going to order in a tactical nuclear strike! <

You may think that. But it could be GWB Jnr (or GXB, I don't get their naming system) on the other end. You could be putting the next one down and depriving the US of another great bush.

Govtcheez
03-04-2003, 07:38 PM
Alright, the happy has left this thread - joe, ken, abrege - you're all perfectly normal, lovely people. Travis - you still suck.

Travis Dane
03-04-2003, 07:42 PM
Christ govt, You're such an $$$$$$$

Govtcheez
03-04-2003, 07:47 PM
Thanks. You're just mad because I didn't like your joke.

abrege
03-04-2003, 07:49 PM
Why do all of you guys poke fun at travis? Sure, his jokes suck, but does that really warrant such abuse?

Travis Dane
03-04-2003, 07:49 PM
Well, You went a little further than just 'not liking it'.

-KEN-
03-04-2003, 07:50 PM
I'm still wondering how Travis thought he should flame me for my comment and not govt...maybe he just didn't understand yours, gov? (rip from AIM! :p)

In before the close! ;)

Govtcheez
03-04-2003, 07:55 PM
> Well, You went a little further than just 'not liking it'

The amount I dislike everything you post goes a little further than just 'not liking it'. I'm just showing how much further.

Travis Dane
03-04-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
The amount I dislike everything you post

Everything? That makes me sad, Even though i hate your guts.

Govtcheez
03-04-2003, 08:01 PM
Not everything. There was one post that didn't make me want to hurt things.

Anyways, this can end here. If you still want to whine at me, IM me.